open/close all folders
Voiced by: Yuji Ueda (Japanese), Derek Stephen Prince (English), Ricardo Bautista (Latin American Spanish)The main character, a 19-year-old (one year older in the anime) who has failed the entrance exams for the prestigious University of Tokyo twice. During his third attempt, he is asked by his grandmother to become temporary manager of the Hinata House, a hot springs inn, while she is away on a trip — except she forgot to tell him that it has since been converted into an all-girls' dormitory.
- Accidental Pervert: All the time! The fact that he lives in a) a female-only dormitory and b) said dormitory is also a hot spring, the odds are completely against him. It even happens at his wedding!
- Adorkable: Despite being so bumbling, he always tries to keep his high spirit and kind heart, which makes him quite endearing.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: A trait he eventually gets from Seta when he becomes his mentor.
- Amusing Injuries: Every time he's beaten up, it's portrayed as this. Along with Immortal Life Is Cheap.
- Apologizes a Lot: Goes hand in hand with Accidental Pervert.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Kanako and Shinobu.
- Blind Without 'Em: He doesn't even recognize Naru during his trip to Kyoto because of this.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: After becoming Seta's protege, Keitaro is still extremely clumsy, prone to verbal slips, losing his focus, and of course never stops being an Accidental Pervert. He also gains the ability to accidentally make amazing archaeological finds, practically tripping over priceless artifacts.
- Butt Monkey: If it's something bad, it happens to him, or he is blamed for it. The worst is almost always thought of him, no matter what he does. With violent results.
- Character Development: Turns from a spineless loser to a guy who is still kindhearted, but with at least some guts.
- Chick Magnet: Despite his constant Accidental Pervert moments, he wins over most of the girls at Hinata Inn.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: To a girl whose name he can't remember, back when they were very young. Mutsumi loved him, she gave him his first kiss, she's the one to tell him tells him about the love legend of Tokyo U, he sat by like a knot on a log while Mutsumi and Narusegawa played rock scissors paper to decide who got him. Because Mutsumi is friends with both Keitaro and Naru, Mutsumi lets Naru win because Naru liked him too.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: He fails to realize that there are five different girls (Naru, Shinobu, Motoko, Mutsumi and Kanako) in love with him at the same time, no less. In his defense, a good chunk of them previously hated his guts.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: After only six months of training, he's able to fight on par with a swordswoman who's trained all her life.
- Determinator: It doesn't matter how many times he fails the entrance exam. He WILL fulfill his promise!
- Drives Like Crazy: After becoming Seta's protege. Like mentor like protege, indeed.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: He goes through a SHITLOAD of pain throughout the series, both physical and emotional. But in the end, he gains everything he ever dreamed of and then some more.
- Easily Condemned: The girls, especially Naru and Motoko, are always fully prepared to believe the worst in him and beat the crap out of him at the slightest provocation, especially when they suspect him of doing something perverted. Honestly, after the first few misunderstandings, one would think they'd actually realize that it's Not What It Looks Like.
- Extreme Doormat: He constantly lets the Hinata's residents step all over him and beat him up, even though, as their manager and landlord, he could easily have them all evicted at any time.
- Forgotten First Meeting: With Naru and Mutsumi. They all met at the Hinata House 15 years ago.
- Generation Xerox: Towards the end of the series, he begins to act (and look) a lot like Seta.
- Heroes Want Redheads: His main love interest is Naru, who has red/orange hair in the manga. Of course, this is subverted in the anime, where Naru's hair is brown.
- I Know Karate: Learned Jeet Kune Do from Seta.
- Iron Butt Monkey: There's a joke that says he's immortal, since even with the constant abuse and Megaton Punches he suffers, he somehow remains unharmed. Everyone is surprised when he has his leg broken after having part of a building fall on him.
- Landlord: Of Hinata Inn. At first, reluctantly.
- Naked First Impression: He meets Naru while they are bathing in the hot springs. However, that wasn't really their first meeting; they met when they were children.
- Nice Guy: He always has the girls' best interests at heart.
- Nigh Invulnerable: The one occasion when he's seriously injured by something is met with absolute astonishment by the rest of the inn's tenants.
- Oblivious to Love: He is completely clueless about his harem's feelings for him.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Chapter 55 deals with him not being an Accidental Pervert, for once, while studying for his fourth attempt to enter Tokyo U.
- Ronin: Failed entrance exams for Tokyo University twice, then on his third attempt. He finally passes the fourth time around.
- Starving Student: The reason why he's forced to accept the role as landlord at Hinata Inn. And even then he's forced to take a part-time job as Seta's assistant.
- Supreme Chef: Became this first through working at his parents' pastry shop, became good at it by making fake cakes for himself on Valentine's Day.
- They Do: He marries Naru in the manga finale.
- Took a Level in Badass: After 6 months with Seta, he is able to fight on equal terms and, after a couple of rounds, defeat Matoko in a sword fight.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: Whenever he gets punched to the high heavens!
- Unlucky Everydude: He was a victim of low self-esteem, bad grades and terrible luck with girls, and was initially only kept afloat by a near-irrational optimism.
- Unwanted Harem: Along with Naru, he's also got Shinobu, Mutsumi, and Motoko in love with him.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Naru.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga, her hair has an orange tint to it. The anime gave her more straight brown hair.
- Beautiful All Along: Inverted. In some cases she wears Opaque Nerd Glasses and ties her hair into a braid, so that she doesn't attract unwanted attention from males.
- Blind Without 'Em: An entire episode centered on her traveling with Keitaro while being unaware that he was there because her glasses were broken.
- Can Not Spit It Out: Even once she starts to realize that she loves Keitaro, she won't admit it. In fact, the last major arc is built entirely on resolving that issue.
- Character Development: Finally kicks in by the last few volumes of the manga, as we learn her reasons to be the way she is.
- Character Exaggeration: Her short temper and violent reactions to Keitaro's Accidental Pervert tendencies are taken Up to Eleven in the anime, to the point that some people are warned about her bitchiness before they start watching the series. It's really not helped by how her Character Development doesn't start to become apparent until the last two episodes of the first series.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Keitaro. She is the girl of his promise.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Like Keitaro, she remembered she also made one such vow to a boy whose name she forgot.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She doesn't like it when Keitaro is with other women.
- Cry Cute: Several times:
- Broke down in tears twice in Chapter 17 after failing her very first entrance exams.
- Thrice during the Paraklese Island arc: while wondering if she failed the second time around, again (this time in joy) when she learns she (and Keitaro as well as Mutsumi) did pass, and then she fully breaks down crying while blaming herself and her sudden diarrhea for missing the last plane to Tokyo on the deadline of submitting her and Keitaro's proof of passing the exams (and she cries for Keitaro instead of for herself). Although it turns out they've crossed the International Date Line and thus had an extra day left.
- Deuteragonist: The most important character in the story after Keitaro.
- Expy: Of Shiori Fujisaki, oh so much; she's also partially inspired from Cindy of former Akamatsu work A.I. Love You.
- Fiery Redhead: Unmistakably red hair and a temper ready to go off at even the suggestion that Keitaro might be less than chivalrous... regardless of whether or not he is being objectionable.
- First Girl After All: Keitaro soon suspected she was the girl of his promise from the beginning, but Naru said it was not possible since she doesn't remember meeting him before and she couldn't make such a promise since she was just 2 years old at the time. Then, turns out she did meet Keitaro back then and despite not remembering it, she is the girl of his promise.
- Forgotten First Meeting: She met Keitaro and Mutsumi 15 years ago when she was sent over to the Hinata House in hopes that its climate would help improve her health.
- Girlish Pigtails: When she was younger.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She has a Liddo-kun doll that she keeps over the hole between her's and Keitaro's rooms. It originally belonged to Mutsumi.
- Go-Getter Girl: As demonstrated by her obsession with entering Tokyo University.
- Hair Antennae: She has one, but is definitely not a ditz.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: And that's putting it mildly.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Towards Keitaro. Too many times to count, and yet nobody is convinced.
- High Class Gloves: Her Fairytale Wedding Dress at the end of the manga includes long, white gloves.
- Hot for Teacher: Has a crush on Seta, who was her tutor in high school. He helped inspire her to go to Tokyo U.
- Once ridiculed Keitaro's hopes of getting with his promise girl on the basis that he's a spineless dork. Keitaro retaliated by saying that Naru could never get with her promise guy because she's violent. Instead of realising how mean she was being, Naru just bursts into tears, making Keitaro feel guilty for something she started.
- Then there's the occasional moment where Naru attacks Keitaro for the crime of undressing in his own room just as she walks in unannounced.
- Ill Girl: She has asthma, and as a little girl it was WAY worse. Her Tokyo U promise with Keitaro and Mutsumi happened during a time when her asthma attacks got so severe she was sent over to the Hinata House in hopes that its climate would help improve her health.
- I Know Karate: Seta taught her Jeet Kun Do, although she's not as proficient as Motoko with her kendo or as Keitaro when he also learns.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She tries to do this towards Keitaro and Mutsumi when she's convinced that Mutsumi was Keitaro's "Promise Girl". It doesn't last.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She is a good person deep down, but with her temper and violent tendencies, it's hard to tell.
- Laser-Guided Karma: When Kanako shows up, Naru learns to regret what she did to Keitaro. Particularly as he took notes on the specifics as to what was done.
- Last Name Basis: Even though she calls Keitaro by his first name, he never calls her by hers even after they get married and her last name isn't Narusegawa anymore.
- Megaton Punch: She sends Keitaro to the high heavens with her "Naru Punch" all the time.
- Naked First Impression: She meets Keitaro while they are bathing in the hot springs. Subverted since they actually met 15 years ago, but they can't remember it because they were very young.
- Naked on Arrival: In the manga, she's introduced when she goes to take a bath in the hot springs.
- Pervert Revenge Mode: A few times in the series, Keitaro accidentally walks in on Naru changing her clothes. Understandably, she punches him.
- Rapunzel Hair: She has waist-length hair.
- Reflexive Response: She reflexively denies being Keitaro's girlfriend after she's engaged to Keitaro.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: She often ends up in embarrassing situations with Keitaro. To the point that the author himself, in the extra, apologizes for having drawn her naked so often.
- Repetitive Name: Naru Narusegawa.
- Ronin: Failed to get into Tokyo University on her first try.
- They Do: She and Keitaro finally get married in the manga finale.
- Tsundere: She's completely unable to be honest with herself, so it's almost impossible for her to even come to terms with the fact that she has feelings for Keitaro and spends almost the entire series denying it and beating him up. Even after she accepts it, she still turns violent at the drop of a hat without giving Keitaro a chance to explain himself. Taken Up to Eleven in the anime thanks to Character Exaggeration.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Once she walks in on Keitaro changing and she punches him anyway! Naru justifies herself saying it was "a reflex".
- Will They or Won't They?: With Keitaro.
Voiced by: Satsuki Yukino (Japanese), Julie Ann Taylor (English), Liliana Barba (Latin American Spanish)A newcomer to the Hinata House and, like Keitaro, is a 20-year-old Ronin, though her failures stem less from being an academic underachiever than from her clumsiness and tendency to faint at the most inappropriate times.
- The Ace: Especially To Naru; Mutsumi repeatedly outdoes Naru in various tasks not intentionally or meanly, she just does.
- Breakout Character: She was supposed to be a one-shot character for the first vacation arc, but she proved so popular to fans Akamatsu essentially rewrote her entire Backstory to include her as a main character.
- In Akamatsu's original plan for Love Hina the character Midori was to be kind and nice being much more like Mutsumi than anywhere close to Naru.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Mutsumi has loved Keitaro since they were little.
- Cloudcuckoolander: This is meant in the nicest possible way. She's spacy enough that one of her reasons for previously failing the Tokyo U exams was forgetting to write her name on the test.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She's as completely clumsy as Keitaro - to the point that, when they're together, they'll frequently make the same pratfall either simultaneously or in quick succession.
- Forgotten First Meeting: With Keitaro and Naru.
- Fourth-Wall Observer
- Talking to Naru about the letter from Keitaro. Mutsumi:"Don't you remember…I told you about it just a few pages ago."
- Gag Boobs: She has the largest bust of all the female cast which is used for comical purposes many times.
- Genius Ditz: She's actually smarter than Naru and didn't even have to study nearly as much.
- Hair Antennae: Mutsumi and Naru share this trait. And unlike Naru, Mutsumi is indeed rather ditzy.
- Ill Girl: To the point of fainting from anaemia. By the end of the manga her symptoms seem to be gone.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: To the max for Keitaro. She does this so many times for Keitaro and Naru, even though Mutsumi has loved Keitaro since they were little. Mutsumi later admits to Naru that she still loves Keitaro.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl
- Mistaken for Pregnant: When Keitaro and everyone else woke up to find Mutsumi sleeping naked in his futon with him. Mutsumi's comments about last night being great and the test being "positive" had even Keitaro himself thinking he knocked her up. Actually, she just fell through the hole in Naru's room, decided to sleep where she landed, and was referring to Keitaro's help in studying. When Keitaro expresses mild regret about the misunderstanding, of course, he's chased off by Naru (vowing to personally neuter him).
- Nice Girl: She is the one and ONLY one of the Hinata girls that has never beaten Keitaro up, and just laughs off his Accidental Pervertedness.
- Not Quite Dead: Her fainting spells seem closer to this than unconsciousness, featuring Blank White Eyes and Blood from the Mouth. The first time Keitaro and Naru saw it happen, they discovered she didn't even have a pulse.
- Out of Focus: Particularly jarring considering she is a main character just as Keitaro and Naru are.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches down her waist.
- Romantic Runner-Up: She doesn't get Keitaro, although she stood a very good chance since she treats him rather well and could have also been the promise girl from when they were kids.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Accidentally with Naru in many scenes, apparently without even realizing it. Turns out she, like Keitaro, did make a promise with Naru to enter Tokyo U together, after asking Naru if she remembered the promise made to Keitaro (Naru had forgotten) a very young Mutsumi made this promise to make sure Naru remembered to keep the promise made with Keitaro.
- Ronin: Like Keitaro, she failed her entrance exams two years straight, though not due to poor academics, but due to mishaps (such as failing to write her name) and her condition (fainted just before the exams started). She ultimately passes at the same time as Keitaro and Naru, and breaks the news to both of them in Paraklese.
- Smarter Than You Look: Rather perceptive and good at reading people. See Ronin, also
- Trademark Favorite Food: Watermelons. Coincidentally, they're good for anemia, what with their concentration of lycopene.
Mitsune "Kitsune" Konno
assets, and is not above using every scheme in the book to get her way, or at the very least make the house less boring.
- Animal Motifs: The fox.
- Cool Big Sis: Served as this for Naru and Shinobu.
- Eyes Always Shut: She only opens both eyes when she's surprised.
- Girlish Pigtails: When she was younger.
- Good Bad Girl: Never confirmed, but she's constantly suggesting a more liberated take on sexuality for herself and others. Of course, she could just be messing with people.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She's always up for some mischief and scheming, and in the manga she's seen hung over or drunk a few times. Toned way down in the anime.
- Hot for Teacher: Has had a crush on Seta. Much more explored in the anime than in the manga.
- In-Series Nickname: Kitsune, partly as a pun on her name, partly because she sort of looks like a fox, and partly because of her wily scheming.
- It Amused Me: Many of her mischievous deeds boil down to this.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Didn't pursue a relationship with Seta because Naru had a crush on him as well. In the anime, she tells Naru not to have this mentality for Keitaro.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Given a southern accent in the dub.
- Meaningful Name: Akamatsu intentionally gave her face "fox-like" features to drive the point home.
- Out of Focus: Even Akamatsu himself admits with regret she is an underused character with a potential for a lot more backstory. The anime averted this by giving her a larger part to play in the Keitaro/Naru/Mutsumi triangle and exploring further her crush on Seta.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: She's supposedly a freelance writer, but we never really see her doing any writing.
- Pretty Freeloaders: So far as anyone can tell, she doesn't actually work; she just hangs around the Hinata House and occasionally makes mischief for Keitaro. While it's said offhand a few times that she does pay rent, it's unclear just where the rent money comes from.
- The Resenter: She is Naru's best friend, but deep down she resents that Naru was always way more popular with guys than her...which is to say that she resents the assumptions made by the guys concerned, not Naru.
- Shipper on Deck: To Keitaro and Naru. She'll occasionally make efforts to help Keitaro out, although mostly because she likes seeing the inevitable result. She also occasionally helps Naru out as well, with more sincerity.
- The Tease: In the first chapter, she tries to seduce Keitaro in exchange for reduced rent.
- The Trickster: Her preferred method of getting anything done is to scam someone into doing it for her.
- Unreliable Narrator: Kitsune starts explaining Naru's past, and says that Naru and Seta were in a Teacher/Student Romance at the time. She then immediately states "If that had happened, it would have been interesting."
Voiced by: Masayo Kurata (Japanese), Bridget Hoffman (English), Adriana Casas (Latin American Spanish)Shinobu, the youngest member of the House at 13 years old, decided to live on her own due to her parents' divorce and her refusal to choose between which parent to live with. She and Kaolla are the youngest residents of the House, being the mild-mannered counterpart to the energetic Kaolla.
- Cannot Spit It Out: So many times she could confess to Keitaro, but she's too shy to do so.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Once got completely plastered on half a glass of alcohol.
- Character Development: From EXTREMELY shy to just kinda shy, but still social and confident about her wits.
- Covert Pervert: She's shy, retiring, yet somehow the most forgiving of Keitaro's Accidental Pervert moments and nearly admits to liking them at a few points.
- Fan of Underdog: She seemed inordinately optimistic of Keitaro compared to other others.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Easily the most traditionally feminine of the Hinata House residents. She's also the one generally in charge of food prep, even considering that she's either the youngest or second-youngest at the start of the series.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Keitaro.
- Jail Bait: The manga toys with the idea of Keitaro noticing her in the first volume, but it doesn't last.
- Nice Girl: She's genuinely kind and tries to see the best in everyone. And she wouldn't think of intentionally harming anyone. Of course, this just means that all of the punishment that Keitaro gets from her is either an accident or (more likely) from one of the other girls misinterpreting her reaction. She shows signs of moving away from this in the final volume.
- Odd Friendship: With Kaolla and Sarah - for all that she's a shy and retiring girl that likes to take it easy with her hobbies, she sure gets along well with hyperactive tomboys.
- Parental Abandonment: She lives at Hinata House because she couldn't deal with her parents's divorce.
- Precocious Crush: She's too young to even show up on Keitaro's radar, but that hasn't made her feelings wane.
- Sempai/Kohai: She frequently calls Keitaro and Naru sempai.
- Shrinking Violet: Extremely quiet and timid, Shinobu will frequently end up mumbling her comments, only to end up shrinking from how boisterous the response is... even if it's positive.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: Blue hair? Check. Super-shy? Check.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She's the one who immediately notices Keitaro's good qualities and does her best to actually extoll them.
- Sparkling Stream of Tears: She's sensitive, so she's the most likely to cry at the smallest thing, which typically is interpreted by Naru and/or Motoko as "proof" that Keitaro did something wrong to her.
- Team Chef: The resident cook of the Hinata House.
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever: In the Distant Finale, Shinobu hasn't given up on her dream to some day becoming Keitaro's girlfriend despite him marrying Naru.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In the anime she has blue hair whereas in the manga it is clearly depicted as being black.
- Action Girl: Stands out all the more in a non-fighting series.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is very attractive, tall, raven-haired, and very aloof and serious.
- Ax-Crazy: With her Hair-Trigger Temper and her willingness to use her sword on anyone who annoys her even slightly (i.e. Keitaro), Motoko is clearly not the poster girl for sanity.
- Beware the Superman: The Shinmei-ryū style of kendo was designed largely for protection and Demon Slaying; Motoko uses her skills to assault anyone who even slightly irritates her.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Episode 12, which centers around her, has her unable to focus her ki after her usual outfit ends up in the wash. It's subverted by the end after Keitaro talks some sense into her.
- Covert Pervert: When she spaces out while studying, she has a habit of writing out extremely risque love stories.
- Cry Cute: Twice. After Tsuruko curbstomps her and breaks her katana, deeming her too weak to carry on their school's legacy; and after Keitaro tries to comfort her. In the manga, it comes in response to Keitaro's request for her to act more feminine. She keeps failing in her attempts and finally breaks down in tears. Realizing that he's made Motoko absolutely miserable in a gender stereotype that isn't hers, Keitaro calls off the request and asks her to be herself.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Wore one as part of a school uniform in the anime, just before Kanako (disguised as Naru) felt her up.
- D-Cup Distress: She complains that since her breasts are so big and still growing it becomes difficult for her to wrap her sarashi.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's the most callous towards Keitaro at first, ready to actually kill him (whereas even Naru only wants to beat him up and keep him away). She's also the one most dismissive of his failures to get into Tokyo U at first. She later learns that he isn't a bad person at all and just how much determination it takes to keep going after some of the things he's been through.
- Does Not Like Men: To the extent that Kanako mistakes her for a lesbian.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Has a posse of girls that fawn over her in the anime.
- Femininity Failure: She's forced to try becoming more feminine after Keitaro (more or less accidentally) defeats her in a duel. She's too violent to be good at it, though. In the manga, after being defeated by her sister, she tries to embrace more feminine roles but drives everyone crazy with her zeal, and eventually breaks down.
- Girliness Upgrade: From a samurai-like Tomboy to a much more feminine young woman (although she never loses her guts).
- Girlish Pigtails: Whenever she's pushed into acting more feminine. It intentionally looks ridiculous on her.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Prone to thrashing Keitaro at the slightest provocation.
- Heir to the Dojo: Since her sister gave up the life of the sword to marry, Motoko is the next in line to inherit the Aoyama family's Kyoto dojo as she is not married.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Both times after being defeated by Tsuruko.
- Hidden Depths:
- Her overtly masculine behavior comes from her misinterpreting how life went down for her big sister after she got married.
- She also has a habit of writing romance stories when she gets distracted.
- Hime Cut: Her hairstyle fits her traditional upbringing and samurai-like personality.
- Hopeless Suitor: By the end, she knows that she's not going to land Keitaro. Doesn't stop her from dreaming, or trying. Or, in the last volume, writing a short story where she kills Naru and marries Keitaro instead.
- Huge School Girl: During her brief stint trying to be more feminine, she noticed that she was actually taller than Keitaro, ramping up her already harsh insecurities about her femininity. Of course, coming from a long line of female warriors it follows that her height would be above average - and Keitaro's not that tall...
- Hypocritical Humor: She's firmly convinced that All Men Are Perverts... and yet she herself is a Covert Pervert who tends to space out and write extremely risque love stories.
- Important Haircut: Near the end of the manga. She grows it long again in the Distant Finale.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For all that she's short-tempered and inclined to think the worst of Keitaro, she's rather protective of everyone in the Hinata House. This even extends to Keitaro... eventually.
- Kid Samurai: A 15-year-old kendo practitioner at the beginning of the series.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Mocks Keitaro's failed efforts to get into Tokyo U. Three years later, she — now a law student at Tokyo U — finally understands it's not as easy as it looks.
- Love Is a Weakness: At first, she sees love as a weakness. It's not until the second half when she starts to see that it can be a source of strength as well.
- Mistaken for Gay: When Kanako showed up, she assumed Motoko was a lesbian due to her dislike of men and came on to her while disguised as Naru.
- Primal Scene: A databook released post-series explains that she developed her dislike of guys and fear of turtles when she accidentally walked in on her sister and brother-in-law in an intimate position. The Japanese word for the head of a penis is written with the characters for "turtle" and "head." Do the math and...
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes past her waist.
- Sarashi: Wears one in place of a bra. Which is why Keitaro bought a bra for her as Christmas Present.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She eventually grows into this once she accepts her feminine side.
- Tsundere: She tends to beat up Keitaro because she doesn't know how to deal with her growing feelings for him.
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever: Like Shinobu, she hasn't given up on Keitaro by the Distant Finale despite him marrying Naru.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: Rock-splitting is just the beginning of what she can do with a bokken.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She has an incomprehensible fear of turtles — made all the more jarring by the fact that the House does have a pet turtle. And said turtle has a crush on her.
Gadgeteer Genius, Genki Girl, and Cloudcuckoolander extraordinaire.
- Ambiguously Bi: She's attracted to Keitaro, but she also stole Shinobu's first kiss.
- Barefoot Loon: A strange and quirky Gadgeteer Genius Genki Girl who always goes around barefoot.
- Big Eater: She always asks if something can be eaten, and she has a desire to eat Tama, the Hinata's pet turtle.
- Blush Sticker: Pink ones.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She might be childish, hyperactive, and asks if any unfamiliar noun is a food item, but she's also a Gadgeteer Genius and an excellent computer programmer. Combining both parts of the trope, said programming is done via typing with her toes.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: She's dark-skinned and blonde-haired.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Always barefoot, except when the situation calls for combat boots.
- Dynamic Entry: Her way of greeting Keitaro involves hitting him in the face with a flying kick. Occasionally she'll miss and hit him with her...area.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Kaolla is the princess of the uncharted kingdom of Molmol.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: While talking to Keitaro about his broken legCan't ya just put a band aid on it and make it better in the next scene like ya normally do?
- Funny Foreigner: From the fictional Molmol Kingdom, complete with occasional forays into random customs from her home country.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Among other things, she's created Mecha-Tama and a turtle-tracking radar.
- Genki Girl: Juuuust a little bit. When she latches onto Keitaro in the second volume of the manga, the other girls note that Motoko's the only one with the stamina to keep up with her for very long.
- Is It Something You Eat?: The first thing she usually asks upon hearing a new word/phrase/concept since she's such a Big Eater.
- Kansai Regional Accent: She speaks in Kansai-ben. It was later revealed this was because she was taught (shaky) Japanese by Kitsune, who is a genuine native of the area.
- Last Name Basis: Everyone just calls her Su.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Especially with Keitaro.
- Odd Friendship: With Shinobu - while generally friendly to everyone, the fact that she latched onto the quiet, low-key Shinobu is a bit unusual (though it helps that they're around the same age).
- Older Alter Ego: The light of the red moon changes her into an adult form, which is pretty much a stronger, faster version of her usual self.
- Sailor Fuku: Her default costume.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Is almost always wearing hers, even though we rarely see her at school.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Bananas.
- Wrench Wench: She can build or repair pretty much anything seen in the show.
Voiced by: Megumi Hayashibara (Japanese), Mari Devon (English), Verónica Rivas (Latin American Spanish)Matron of the Hinata House and Keitaro's 29-year-old maternal cousin and aunt, having been adopted by their grandmother after the death of her own mother, who was the older sister of Keitaro's mother.
- Christmas Cake: She hates being reminded of her single status and called "Oba-san". In the end of the manga, she marries Seta.
- Cool Big Sis: For all that she's also willing to smack Keitaro (generally for calling her Oba-san), she's supportive of him and tries to help him out of situations. She's also ready and willing to dispense advice to the others at Hinata House.
- Covert Pervert: Implied — whenever one of the girls is wearing a weird outfit, chances are it came from Haruka's closet, which apparently includes a frilly Victorian dress and a Meido outfit. Add to that her skill with (and ownership of) a whip...
- Cry Cute: Cries while accepting Seta's marriage proposal.
- Generation Xerox: Her rough treatment of her childhood friend Seta is mirrored by Naru towards her cousin Keitaro.
- Happily Married: To Seta in one of the last story arcs, apparently ending years of Will They or Won't They?, based on Haruka's description.
- Harem Nanny: While Keitaro is officially the landlord at Hinata House, she's the eldest and the one generally responsible for wrangling everyone, particularly when a crisis mounts.
- Honorary Aunt: Towards her younger cousin Keitaro. Although, due to adoption, she actually is his aunt as well as his cousin.
- Insistent Terminology: Dislikes it when Keitaro calls her "aunt", possibly due to being both a Christmas Cake and his older cousin.
- Smoking Is Cool: Always seen with a cigarette.
- Tsundere: Towards Seta. Arguably justified - he did (albeit unwittingly) break her heart.
- Whip It Good: She almost never takes it out, and she's reluctant to even pretend that she'd use it, but she's clearly skilled — she answers the phone with her whip, from across the room.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Seta. They Do.
Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto (Japanese), Kirk Thornton (English), Carlos Galindo (Latin American Spanish)An archaeology professor at the University of Tokyo who Keitaro meets up the steps of the Hinata House after returning from Kyoto with Naru and the rest of the Hinata girls.
- The Ace: He was a tutor, an expert archaeologist, able to raise a kid by himself, a fighter capable of keeping up with Motoko barehanded... there's only one thing he can't do well: drive.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: He frequently goes off to various digs in dangerous places to find exciting new discoveries.
- Composite Character: Seems to equal parts of Henry Jones Junior, Spike Spiegel and Bruce Lee... except with a gentle and nice personality.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: You'd think someone so prone to spacing out or not noticing things like gaping head wounds to be so good at, well, nearly everything.
- Drives Like Crazy: To put it mildly. He never merely parks, instead emerges bloody, battered, and oblivious from the twisted wreckage of his van.
- Happily Married: To Haruka in one of the last story arcs, apparently ending years of Will They or Won't They?, based on Haruka's description.
- I Know Karate: He taught both Naru and Keitaro Jeet Kun Do.
- Love You and Everybody: After Naru's crush for him is exposed, Seta says he likes her too... and he also likes Keitaro.
- Made of Iron: His car crashes are practically legendary, with numerous rolls down stairs and across parks, and they frequently leave him with massive amounts of bleeding. He'll walk out oblivious to any damage. Not to mention, the only one who can take a Megaton Punch better is Keitaro.
- Oblivious to Love: Until he marries Haruka, he doesn't show any indication that he was ever aware of her feelings for him.
- Ronin: Like Keitaro, he used to be this for three years.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Haruka. They Do.
Voiced by: Yumiko Kobayashi (Japanese), Julie Maddalena (English), Magdalena Tenorio (Latin American Spanish)Seta's 9-year-old adopted daughter from California and a tomboyish brat to boot.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Particularly early on, when she deliberately sets out to get Keitaro fired from his job assisting Seta. Even afterwards, she'll pull pranks for sheer amusement.
- Distinguishing Mark/Mark of Shame: The panda-shaped birthmark on her left buttock. Embarrassed to have it and used as blackmail by Keitaro to have her quit trying to cause trouble for him.
- Happily Adopted: By Seta.
- I Know Karate: Jeet Kun Do, taught by Seta yet again.
- Intimate Marks: Again, her birthmark on her butt.
- Odd Friendship: With Shinobu - similar to Su, she doesn't seem the type to hang around a shy, bookish girly girl. Unlike Su, she also has a grudge against Keitaro and doesn't go to school with her. Yet, she's just as willing as Su to pull Shinobu along with a scheme.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Blond, blue-eyed, wears cowboy hats and occasionally stars-and-stripes outfits, fits the loud and pushy stereotypes... she's such the stereotypical American in anime, she's currently the picture on the trope page.
- Tomboy: Rambunctious, prefers overalls and roughhousing, always looking to make mischief... she'd practically be a clone of the stereotypical pre-teen boy, except for actually being female.
Hinata "Hina" Urashima
Voiced by: Masako Nozawa (Japanese) , Erika Mireles (Latin American Spanish)Keitaro's grandmother and original manager of Hinata Inn. She left for her world-wide tour, passing the inheritance of the inn on to Keitaro.
- Cool Old Lady: Hears about Keitaro's problems and the hard time his parents are giving him about getting into Tokyo U, so she sets him up with the landlord position so that he can focus on studying while no longer mooching off his parents. Also, it frees her up to go on an extended hot springs tour vacation.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: She doesn't show up frequently, but it's shown that she's less than half of Haruka's height.
- Walking the Earth: She left the Hinata House to tour the world's hot springs.
Happily Married life brought some resentment into her younger sister.
- The Ace: To hear Motoko talk of it, anything she could do, Tsuruko could do better. Her few appearances show that her sword skills, at the very least, are incredibly impressive.
- Action Girl: Becomes a nasty Girl with Psycho Weapon if her Berserk Button is pressed.
- Berserk Button: If you ever lie to her, pray she never catches on!
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Does this twice to Motoko, after she pressed the above Berserk Button.
- Cute and Psycho: Is a genuinely nice person, just don't make her realize you lied in front of her or else...
- The Dreaded: Aside from turtles, she's the only thing on God's Earth that Motoko is absolutely terrified of.
- Hime Cut: One of the signifiers that she's proper Japanese lady.
- Sarashi: Like her younger sister, she wears one as a bra.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Keitaro/Motoko - her punishments towards Motoko invariably give Keitaro some level of control, she tells Keitaro that she thinks he and Motoko make an adorable couple, and her final appearance has her encouraging Motoko to pursue him.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Has the traditional look and she acts out the trope. But if she hears you lie, you see just why Silk Hiding Steel is part of the traditional ideal as well.
Haitani & Shirai
Haitani is voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Japanese), Steve Blum (English), Christian Strempler (Latin American Spanish)
Shirai is voiced by: Michio Miyashita (Japanese), Gene Holliday (English), Rafael Bórguez (Latin American Spanish)
Keitaro's friends and, like him, a pair of Ronins.
Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu (Japanese), Steve Areno (English), Gerry Meza (Latin American Spanish)An anime-exclusive character and a Hopeless Suitor for Naru's heart.
- Butt Monkey: After his debut episode, he appears solely to get punished in some way or taken advantage of. Given how smug he acts, though, nobody feels bad about it.
- Canon Foreigner: He was filler introduced in the anime, and never made it back into the manga.
- Deus ex Machina: He shows up whenever he's needed, usually with whatever form of transportation the plot needs (such as a car with a bike in the back, or a car/rocketship thing.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: "Well. I suppose that's all the screen time I'm getting this time."
- Hopeless Suitor: He quickly loses Naru's attention and never comes close to getting it back.
- Rich Idiot with No Day Job: He's also still on entrance exams, but his money results in him not particularly caring if he passes, and he doesn't seem to want to do anything besides "be rich."
- Romantic False Lead: His introduction, which he lampshades: "I thought about swooping down in a helicopter to pick you up, but that's such a clichéd way to introduce a wealthy rival, don't you think?" Soon after his introduction, he devolves from this into more of a Butt Monkey.
- Black Comedy Rape: While disguised as Naru, she molests the other Hinata tenants.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She not only is open about how much she loves Keitaro, but she'll try to manipulate the other girls into leaving him to her.
- Does Not Like Spam: She hates sweets. Which is unfortunate, given that the Urashima family is a line of confectioners. Keitaro seems oblivious to her tastes.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Played up to underline how unnatural her attraction to Keitaro comes (both in its obsessiveness and the fact that he's her adopted brother).
- Humiliation Conga: Subjects all of the Hinata's tenants to one to punish them for their constant abuse and mistreatment of Keitaro.
- Master of Disguise: She can reposition her bones to match other people's builds. Keitaro, however, can easily see through it.
- Meta Gal: One major reason she didn't make friends easily. She has her harsh but rather genre-blind opinions on Keitaro's bizarre relationships with girls, made calculated awkward moments to entice him, and had a complete dislike of Naru's hot-and-cold personality.
- Not Blood Siblings: Kanako was adopted and fell in love with Keitaro, but he does not share the same feelings.
- Sarashi: Whenever she has to disguise herself as male or just as someone less endowed, this is her preferred method.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kanako really reams Naru out for her treatment of Keitaro. In particular, in her introduction and the last major arc, Kanako hits home with just how badly Naru projects her own faults onto Keitaro and punishes him for it.
Voiced by: Yukie Maeda (Japanese) and Wendee Lee (English)A hot springs turtle given to Naru by Mutsumi after helping her return to Okinawa.
- Ascended Extra: She is only mentioned in the manga, but appears in the anime.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her default outfit is rather revealing tribal garb.
- Cool Pet: Shiro, an albino alligator.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Like Kaolla, she's a princess of Molmol.
- Kissing Cousins: She has been in love with her cousin Crown Prince Lamba Lu for a long time, but has never admitted her feelings to him.
- Power of the Storm: She can control the weather and summon lightning by playing her flute.
- Alliterative Name: Lamba Lu.
- Ascended Extra: He is only mentioned in the manga, but appears in the anime.
Voiced by: Yuri Shiratori (Japanese), Rebecca Forstadt (English), Georgina "Gina" Sánchez (Latin American Spanish)Naru's younger stepsister.
- Canon Immigrant: Originally shows up in the anime and makes a cameo in the final chapter during her sister's wedding.
- Alliterative Name: Nyamo Namo.
- Identical Stranger: She's identical to Shinobu, except for her darker skin and longer hair.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: The girls try to cheer Keitaro up in the hot springs. Though the plan had everyone in bikinis, Nyamo doesn't get it and is completely nude.
- Shrinking Violet: In addition to physical similarities, she also shares Shinobu's extreme initial shyness and reluctance to speak to strangers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.
A timid girl who appears in the epilogue. Ema hopes to get into Tokyo University so she can improve her life and have people notice her. Due to her poor grades, she left home in order to live at the "legendary" Hinata Inn, which is believed to have the power to get anyone into Tokyo University.
- Accidental Pervert: She is confused with a peeping tom by Shinobu when she first arrives to Hinata Inn.
- A-Cup Angst: She lacks in self-confidence due to her skinny build and being "flat as a board".
- Distaff Counterpart: Essentially she is a female Keitaro.
- Hair Decorations: Wears two red ribbons on both sides of her hair.
- Idiot Hair: Her hair starts out straight and ends in a bit of a curl. She even has the makings of an antenna in the front.
- Last Episode, New Character: She appears in the final epilogue chapters of the manga.
- Meganekko: Is short sighted to the point of needing glasses.
- Naked First Impression: With Shinobu in the bath. A Call Back of Keitaro's first meeting with Naru.
- Rapunzel Hair: It reaches down her waist.
- Shrinking Violet: She's very shy and insecure.
- Unlucky Everydude: A Rare Female Example. Low self-esteem, bad grades, wears glasses, small breasts, klutzy? All check.