So you have a female character who lacks the characteristics and mannerisms of a normal female and only have the characteristics of a male. They can fight
, then can play sports
, they drink a lot
, they play video games
, and they're well-liked by the guys
(at least some of them
). Yes, that's a tomboy
. But there's something missing. What could it be?
Well, all she needs is a trademark baseball cap.
This is the trope where a tomboy can be identified by wearing a baseball cap. Most of them wear caps if they love to play baseball, obviously
. They may wear it when they're in the army
. Others wear it just for the sake of setting themselves apart from the Girly Girls
she's expected to hang out with. As far as this trope is concerned, a baseball cap is like the cherry on top for the tomboy, and when tomboys wear caps, it's usually a cool sight to see
They often wear their caps frontwards, especially if their hairstyle is a ponytail
. They often wear their caps backwards just to make them look more of a badass. They even wear caps sideways if they're acting like the guys from the 'hood (especially if they're white
A subtrope of Nice Hat
. See also Hat Shop
- Allie from Digimon Legend always wears a yellow baseball cap backwards. Plus, she's an Action Girl who does have moments of being a bit pragmatic.
- Short Stuff from Daring Do can never be seen as an annoying sidekick to Daring Do without her trademark baseball cap. Despite this, she knows how to be a fierce fighter.
- The movie version of Lex Murphy from Jurassic Park is a tomboy who wears a baseball cap, although she's more of a computer nerd. In the books, however, she is a huge baseball fan and she does wear her hat proudly.
- Sam Montgomery from A Cinderella Story wears a baseball cap since she likes playing baseball. This is what makes Fiona to consider her unattractive despite being jealous of her.
- In a couple of scenes from She's The Man, Viola, a tomboy, wears a baseball cap with a British flag logo and has a huge interest in playing soccer.
- Amanda Lemmon from It Takes Two is an orphan tomboy who always wear baseball caps and loves playing street ball and hates acting lady-like for adoption.
- Dr Brown's daughter Delia in Everwood frequently wore a baseball cap and was very tomboyish. For instance, she played ice-hockey in boys' team and was very good.
- As opposed to her original portrayal as the the smart and sensible girl who enjoys dolls, celebrity gossip, and other traditional feminine activities, Alicia Guzmán of Carrusel is a tomboy who wears a baseball cap and likes playing football.
- Two of a Kind: Mary-Kate, the tomboy of the two, often wore baseball caps.
- Step by Step: Al, Frank's daughter, was the only one of the girls who was a tom-boy, and she often wore a baseball cap when she was younger on the show. She was into sports, outdoor stuff or she would help Frank with his work.
- Sam during the first season of Whos The Boss
- Inverted in Peanuts, where the very girly Frieda refuses to wear a baseball cap even when she is playing baseball! She doesn't want to mess up her "naturally curly hair".
- Former WWE Diva Ashley Massaro wore a backwards black cap in her debut in 2005 (she also won the 2005 Diva Search). She stopped wearing it in around her return in 2008.
- Nikki Bella adopted this image after her 2013 Heel-Face Turn. Coupled with wrestling in a t-shirt and soccer socks, it helps provide a Tomboy and Girly Girl dynamic next to her sister Brie.
- In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, Fuka wears a Prinny hat and happens to wield an axe in battle.
- In Borderlands 2, Gaige the Mecromancer (a Wrench Wench and self described "Woman of science and asskickery") has two heads which are caps of some sort; Keeping It Real (an actual baseball cap) and Read All About It (a paperboy style cap).
- Clementine from The Walking Dead was given a baseball cap as a gift from her dad. She also prefers playing around in her treehouse more than watching television and playing with dolls.
- On Family Guy when the Griffins temporarily move to the south Chris becomes "friends" with a "boy" who turns out to be a tomboy wearing a baseball cap covering her long hair.
- An aversion in Recess where Spinelli, although she is a tomboy, wears a knitted hat rather than a baseball hat.
- In one episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Mandy invokes this by sporting a baseball cap as well as disguising herself as a boy named "Manfred" in her plan to prove to Billy that girls can surely play sports.
- From Arthur, there was a young female character named "W.D." who wears a baseball hat which goes along well with her boyish clothing, gender neutral haircut, and a gender neutral voice.
- Linny from Wonder Pets wears a trademark orange baseball cap and is a female, which often has the audience confused whether Linny was male, considering that caps are usually what males usually wear.
- Mike Mazinsky from Mike, Lu & Og doesn't usually wear a baseball cap, but she does don one in "Sultans of Swat" and "The Mother of All Marathons".
- Lor from The Weekenders sometimes sports one.