A younger version of an older character. A character of this sort is often present to have similar origins or appearance to the older character, but is either more idealistic
, naive, or reckless than the older character. The junior is often present to show how much more experience the senior has.
The junior is most often presented as being a student or younger relative of the senior, but not always. Sometimes, the junior becomes the sidekick of the senior, other times it may be showing how History Repeats
Often generates a "You remind me of me"
statement and might even carry a Weapon Jr.
. If the junior is a descendant of the senior, overlaps with Generation Xerox
. Compare Spin-Off Babies
and Legacy Character
- Usopp in One Piece is the son of Yasopp, a crewmember of a famous pirate crew, the Red Hair Pirates. Both of them are avid sharpshooters, with Usopp using a slingshot in similar effectiveness to his father's gun. Luffy recruits him for that reason.
- Many of the Robins are this in some capacity to Batman, but Dick Grayson is perhaps the closest to Bruce, as his own parents were murdered and Dick was motivated to get revenge on the ones responsible. Unlike most sidekicks of his era or the rest of the Bat Family he Robin doesn't have a bat or darkness motif at all since he was designed to be Plucky Comic Relief.
- Spider-Man has a few.
- Alpha is Peter Parker post-Spider bite but pre-Uncle Ben's death, right down to getting his powers while on a field trip. He's full of himself, irresponsible, and obsessed with fame. Making him not just a Junior Counter Part, but a foil in that he's what Peter would have been if he had never decided to try and grow up some.
- Spidey's daughter and Distaff Counter Part Spider-Girl counts. Like her dad she's bright in science, a chronic Determinator...and really unlucky when comes to love.
- Superboy is this to Superman in continuities where he's not literally a younger version of Supes. Typically like his mentor he's a young person trying to help people (but without the cape). Supergirl also counts in continuities where she's physically younger than her cousin.
- Invoked in Young Avengers wherein the team intentionally patterns themselves of their role models, The Avengers, in hopes of becoming Promoted Fanboys. Some members of the team are even blood related to their counterparts, such as Scott Lang's daughter Cassie and Scarlet Witch's kids Billy and Tommy (Billy got her with powers whereas Tommy got Quick Silver's Super Speed).
- X23 is this to Wolverine. As his Opposite-Sex Clone she has the same powers, but even more of a problem controlling her Berserker Rage do to being raised as weapon since birth.
- Crops up a several times in A Song of Ice and Fire, by blood relation or not.
- In A Game of Thrones, Ned notes that his daughter Arya is pretty much his late sister Lyanna reborn; sharing her personality, appearance, and interests.
- In A Storm of Swords, Jaime Lannister notes that Loras Tyrell is pretty much himself as a youth: a gifted, reckless, impulsive knight who is very close to his lookalike sister.
- Margaery Tyrell is presented a younger Cersei Lannister, both being daughters of a great noble house having, both having great ambitions, both marrying kings, and having a great dependence on an older relative (Cersei's father Tywin; Margaery's grandmother Olenna).
- Renly Baratheon is presented as this to his older brother King Robert. Not only does Renly have nearly the same appearance as Robert did in his youth, but Renly has a charismatic, gregarious personality, something which Robert lost in the years since his rebellion.
- At several times in the story, Littlefinger compares Sansa to her mother Catelyn Stark, claiming that Sansa is starting to resemble her physically.
- Axl of Mega Man X7 is one for X - in fact he replaces X for a while until all the 8 Mavericks of the game are defeated. He plays similarly to X, but without access to chqrged attacks that X is popular for. Axl undergoes Divergent Character Evolution in the next game, though.
- Super Mario Bros. has Bowser Junior, Bowser's son, and Donkey Kong Junior, the son of the first Donkey Kong who would grow up to be the Donkey Kong we know today. The series also ran with the concept after Baby Mario appeared in Mario Tennis. Since then they've introduced Baby versions of Luigi, Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina existing simultaneously with their adult counterparts. The latter two haven't even appeared in any official non-spinoff titles yet.
- The Super Smash Bros. series has Young Link and Toon Link, who are younger, faster versions of the full-grown Link. Melee also has Pichu, a younger relative of Pikachu who is weaker and downright reckless.
- Nowi from Fire Emblem Awakening is a younger counterpart of Tiki from Fire Emblem Akaneia, since both of them are young-looking dragon girls who use Dragon Stones to morph into massive dragons. And considering that a now Older and Wiser Tiki can be recruited in Awakening....
- Scootaloo of the Cutie Mark Crusaders from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is a younger Rainbow Dash, sharing the same athletic Tomboy personality and love of speed. Scootaloo eventually becomes Rainbow Dash's surrogate little sister/protege.
- The main and recurring characters of Tiny Toon Adventures are teenage (barring certain characters like Sweetie and Sneezer) counterparts of the characters from the classic Looney Tunes cartoons, often even sharing the Looney Tunes characters' personality traits. While still considered the junior counterpart of Elmer Fudd, Elmyra's personality contrasts that of her mentor, in the sense that she means no true harm to animals she sees, yet is considered a dangerous threat to them.
- The Legend of Tarzan has Jabari, the baby elephant, as a younger counterpart for Tantor. Jabari not only looks identical to Tantor as a child, but has the same cowardly personality.
- At the end of ReBoot's third season, after Mainframe gets backed up and restored in the midst of a system crash, Enzo's icon is left in Game Sprite mode, and is therefore recognized as a foreign entity instead of inhabitant, leaving his leftover data from when he lived there as a child to get copied into what becomes known as Little Enzo. Given how much darker his personality had become, "Big" Enzo doesn't like the kid at all for reminding him of how he used to be.
- From Xiaolin Chronicles, there is Ping Pong who is basically a younger smaller version of Omi with green glasses and a french accent.