The Private Teacher
Anime and Manga
- In Secret of Cerulean Sand, Chambellan is this to Jane Buxton and follows her from England to Neo City in her quest to find her older brother's grave in the Middle East, where he died, shot for treason, except he was not really dead but serving as a Reluctant Mad Scientist for his insane half-brother.
- I'm A Royal Tutor In My Sister's Dress features...well, guess.. To clarify: Sherlock Doyle replaces his disappeared sister Glinda as the math teacher for the royal children so that both don't get executed.
- The Royal Tutor is about a (notably short) tutor to four princes.
- Bleach. A century before the story begins, the adolescent Byakuya was privately tutored by Yoruichi to improve his shunpou. It's implied that she was also teaching him to rein in his Hair-Trigger Temper and learn how to relax.
- In Disney's The Sword in the Stone, Merlin acts as a tutor to Arthur.
- In silent film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, Karl Heinrich, the crown prince of a little Ruritania-style German principality, receives a Private Teacher type of tutor, Dr. Juttner. Dr. Juttner proceeds to become the little boy's only friend.
- The Prince and the Pauper introduces the prince receiving instruction on Trigonometry from the chamberlain, who seems to handle the prince's education as well, and bored out of his mind. The prince begins to amuse himself by tormenting Donald Duck.
- In A Brother's Price, the schoolteacher of Jerin's sisters occasionally came to the family's house to act as this for Jerin and his younger brother, who would be in danger of kidnapping outside the house.
- In The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Ralf hires a private tutor for his children to brainwash them with Nazi ideals.
- Jane Eyre is hired by Rochester to teach Adele.
- In Little Women Laurie's private tutor is John Brooke. He doesn't have a romance with his student, but rather with one of the Little Women who live next door.
- Having a private tutor instead of going to school and learning to be around other kids is given in the Malory Towers books as a partial explanation for why Gwen is such a Valley Girl.
- The Reynard Cycle: Young King Lionel is tutored (along with his sister) by a Mandrossian scholar named Alberich.
- In Viper In the Fist, the Rezeau family hire several of those to teach to their three sons in their familian home.
- In Pyramids, before he enrolled in the Assassins' Guild school, Teppic had a string of tutors, most of whom got freaked out by his father's occasional belief he was a seagull and fled, one of whom was actually a poacher who taught him how to use a puntbow and another of whom "tried to introduce him to certain athletic techniques favoured by the classical Pseudopolitans". The net result was that "Teppic hadn't been educated. Education had just settled on him, like dandruff."
- Jowan, from the Magi Origin of Dragon Age: Origins, serves as one to Connor Guerrin, whose mother won't let him be taken to the Circle and instead opts to have him learn just enough magic to conceal his talents. This backfires when Jowan poisons Connor's father on his employer's orders and leads to Connor being possessed by a demon and amassing an undead army.
- In Twilight Princess, Link was personally instructed in swordsmanship by Rusell, who even gives him his wooden practice sword near the beginning of the game.
- World of Warcraft. One questline in Duskwood involves unraveling the mystery about Stalvan Mistmantle, a former schoolmaster hired as a tutor by a wealthy family for their two children. As he instructs them, he becomes infatuated with Tilloa, the beautiful elder daughter, until she appears one day with a suitor, which leads to tragic results.
- In Nancy Drew: The Curse of Blackmoor Manor, Ethel is employed to teach Jane such varied subjects as art, French, and science. And, of course, the Penvellyns' secret history. Apparently, Ethel's family have often served the Penvellyns in this capacity, just to ensure that their treasure will never be forgotten. It doesn't hurt that the Penvellyn manor is very isolated.
- Be My Princess: Alberto was Roberto's tutor before becoming his butler, and this is very much reflected in the tone of their relationship.
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: Such people educated Emil, the resident Know-Nothing Know-It-All. Mikkel's comment about his educational records is that one is better off disregarding any wisdom he shares. Tuuri is also more knowledgeable than him, despite being publicly educated in the nation that is considered the least advanced of the world and filled with "not very bright" people.
- Conservapedia was originally conceived by Andrew Schlafly for homeschooled children.
- The Simpsons. In "The PTA Disbands", when the teachers of Springfield Elementary go on strike, all the kids treat it as an extra vacation from school - but Milhouse's parents get him a tutor in order to bridge the gap.
- The Baby Huey cartoon "Pest Pupil" has Huey getting kicked out of school, forcing his mother to hire a tutor.
The Academic Coach:
Anime and Manga
- Rouge Noir features a mutual attraction between a piano tutor and her pupil.
- In a filler episode of Dragon Ball Z, the tutor Mr. Shu is hired to teach Gohan all that he missed while he [Gohan] was away on Namek. Seems innocent enough at first, but then behind closed doors, Mr. Shue is a whip-cracking madman. He feigns innocence whenever Chi-Chi's near, but then she catches him blaming Gohan's "disobedience" on Goku being a worthless father. She kicks his ass immediately.
- Haruhi Suzumiya:
- Haruhi tutors a number of kids from her neighborhood, including one who will end up inventing time travel.
- In Disassociation, Haruhi starts tutoring Kyon out of the blue with no explanation. It takes him a while to figure out that she's trying to get his grades up so that he can go to the same college as her. In Surprise, when Kyon ends up a few years in the future for a moment, it's implied this plan worked.
- In one Archie Comics story, Veronica develops a sudden passion for studying. Betty finds this confusing, until she meets Veronica's series of cute college-aged private tutors.
- Persona EG: Twilight helps get Flash caught up while he is in the hospital after his Persona awakening knocked him out for 3 days.
- The cinematic series finale of Our Miss Brooks sees Miss Brooks tutor Gary Nolan, who's struggling in English. This move ends up setting much of the plot in motion, eventually leading to Miss Brooks' Happily Ever After.
- Cruel Intentions, being an adaptation of Les Liaisons dangereuses (see below), involves a romance between a music tutor and his student.
- The young protagonist of Searching for Bobby Fischer, a chess prodigy, naturally has a private chess tutor.
- Lionel Logue in The King's Speech, teach diction to George VI so that he could speech without problem in radio to his people during the war.
- My Tutor: Bobby Chrystal must pass a French exam in order to get into Yale. His father hires a female tutor to teach him enough French to pass the exam. This results in a Teacher/Student Romance.
- Roberta Guaspari is, in Music of the Heart, a music tutor tasked with a violin program conducted for inner-city kids in Harlem.
- The Amazing Spider-Man: Gwen tutors Flash in the first movie, although in which subjects is not mentioned. She uses this to embarrass him enough to get him to stop bullying Peter.
"I hope you've been doing your homework. Last time I was very disappointed in you."
- In the novel Les Liaisons dangereuses (and the play, and the multiple films...), Cecile is in love with her music tutor, Danceny.
- The Reynard Cycle: Young King Lionel is taught how to dance by Precieuse. He is clearly smitten with her.
- The title character of Shirley falls in love with her cousin's private tutor.
- Syrio Forel in A Song of Ice and Fire teaches the Braavosi style to Arya Stark.
Live Action Television
- Our Miss Brooks: Miss Brooks tutors Stretch Snodgrass to keep him eligible for athletics . . . not to mention, to keep him from flunking outright.
- One episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has Principal Snyder forcing Willow to tutor a Jerk Jock so he doesn't fail all his classes. And by "tutor him", Snyder of course means "do all his schoolwork for him so he can focus on sports".
- The Body of the Week in one episode of Castle was hired as a private tutor for the son of a Triad boss, and was killed by his older brother when student and tutor fell in love.
- Syrio Forel in Game of Thrones teaches the Braavosi style swordsmanship to Arya Stark.
- One series of FoxTrot strips has Denise's family trying to hire Peter to tutor Denise in history. Denise is actually doing well in the class and has no need for a tutor, but convinced her parents otherwise so she could spend more time with Peter.
- In The Taming of the Shrew, Lucentio disguises himself as Bianca's tutor.
- In Persona 4, one of the odd jobs/Social Links (The Tower social link, to be exact) you can take is working as a tutor to Shu Nakajima, a younger student. If you stick with it, the student in question goes from an Insufferable Genius to talking things through with his Education Mama and being more social (in the epilogue, he reveal he made friends with The Rival he was complaining about).
- In Phantasy Star II, the musician Ustvestia teaches the characters the Musik technique. Being openly gay, he charges far less for boys than for gals, though the gay aspect was reduced to the halving the price thing.
- Coming Out On Top: Mark is hired as one for Brad, who is failing his literature class. He also teaches ESL kids, and can do so during the weekends for extra cash.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has established in that Twilight Sparkle now is tutoring the CMC once a week.
- The Simpsons. In an episode Superintendent Chalmers takes Bart under his wing, giving him private lessons outside of school. Eventually all the bully characters start taking these lessons
- Kim Possible: Señor Senior Senior hires Shego to give Junior lessons on how to be a proper villain.