Characters: Love Lab
open/close all folders
Fujisaki Girls Academy Student Council
- Book Dumb: How she got into Fujisaki is a bit of a mystery, and lampshaded as such.
- Can't Spit It Out: To her crushes. It's the only other reason she wasn't recognized by the boys - she never makes the first move herself.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Even the Girls Want Her: Our first treatment started when she aggressively saved two girls from an incoming football kicked by two schoolboys. The result: the girls look up (with heart-shaped eyes, people!) to her like a manly prince.
- Genki Girl
- Femininity Failure: Her masculine traits are the reason she never had a boyfriend.
- In-Series Nickname: "The Wild One"
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Claims to have extensive experience with guys and dating, but actually doesn't.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Her masculine traits (read: One of the Boys) scares the other boys away from her.
- One of the Boys: Since she fails at femininity up to the present day, none of the boys recognized her as a girl.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Recieves one from Suzune.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Concerning her non-existent love life.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: In-universe. After she learns her Embarrassing Nickname, she counters it by acting ridiculously cute and imitating Maki, driving everyone nuts. Sayori finds it especially painful.
- Urban Legend Love Life: Riko tried to correct her first witness of Natsuo's romantic rehearsal early on, which led Natsuo to think that Riko used to have boyfriends in the past. Riko subtly tried to deny such a conlusion, but Natsuo put so much faith in her that she, in fear of disappointing Natsuo, continued lying about her status. Ever since, she became Natsuo's reluctant love life advisor, who then spread the word to people like Suzune, much to Riko's chagrin.
- Academic Athlete: Implied
- The Ace: She's a top-notch student at The Fujisaki Girls' Academy who has some incredibly good grades, charismatic people skills with the teachers and efficient human resource managing. Riko mentions that Maki is so impressive that she could do all of this at once at no penalty to her overall performance - in Riko's words, "a super middle schooler".
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Her dad runs a lingerie company, and appeared in a commercial extolling various womens' undergarments in song. She's very sensitive about it.
- Attractive Bent-Gender
- Big Fancy House
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She pulls some really Insane Troll Logic out of nowhere in what should be ideal circumstances in a romantic encounter. This causes her otherwise normal behavior to turn eccentric, and turns off at least two of the guys at the cram school as a result.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Due to her intelligence, kindness and beauty. She gains the same reaction Riko gets from their fellow schoolmates.
- First Name Basis: When a boy uses her first name without honorifics (thinking it was her last name) she completely panics, acting like he stole her Sacred First Kiss, and falls into a Heroic BSOD. She had, of course, envisioned some insane romantic scenario in which a guy she'd been dating for months would finally use her first name without honorifics.
- Girly Girl: She makes girly runs, is hopelessly romantic and fits the bill of a graceful young lady (that is, until Insane Troll Logic kicks in...).
- Girly Run
- Hair Color Dissonance: Appears to have blue hair, but characters describe it as gorgeously black.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: She was this to Yuiko, until Yuiko promptly resigned in disgust.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Prior to meeting Riko, she was largely self-reliant. Then when Riko greets her friend Mika in the hallway, Maki has a sad look on her face at seeing how friendly the two girls are. Later on, after she finds out that Riko lied about being an expert on love, she was more distressed at the fact that Riko wanted to quit the student council and probably not spend any more time with her, than the fact that she lied. At least until the latter gave a heartfelt apology, stated she didn't want to quit, and declared them to be best friends.
- In-Series Nickname: "Fuji's Princess"
- Insane Troll Logic: Owing to her Cloud Cuckoo Lander status, Maki's wacky conclusions in supposedly perfect courting situations lead to some very fatal errors, such as
- Lonely Rich Kid: Although she doesn't flaunt her riches, her father is a successful, if somewhat embarrassing, businessman, and kept her away from boys her age. This may help explain why Maki has such weird ideas about guys in the first place, particularly after her sister accidentally reads some of her love lab notes and convinces him to loosen his grip on her upbringing a little, lest some smooth talking playboy exploits her naiveness.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: It's a part of her Girly Girl charm.
- Love Freak: To a fault by way of Insane Troll Logic.
- Parody Stu: As a Cloud Cuckoo Lander Ace Student, she's overly competent in all academic issues, but is exaggeratedly terrible at her love life.
- Student Council President: In effect, to the extent that most students think she's the president, but technically she's the vice-president.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Riko jokes that it'd be easier to study if a hot guy was encouraging her...so Maki dresses up as one.
- Terrible Artist: Her body pillow has a crude caricature of a male student on it, in stark contrast to the more conventional Bishounen or Hunk. For the sake of Rule of Funny, her romance fantasies involve meeting a living version of her absurd artwork.
- She's honestly confused and can't understand why the art teacher gave her a "D" for her drawings (of student council members)◊.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: She brings up things like Meet Cute moments, only to screw 'em up with Insane Troll Logic.
- A-Cup Angst
- Apologises a Lot
- Blind Without 'Em
- Cuteness Proximity: She invokes this if brought to tears, particularly when combined with some Dojikko activities such as tripping.
- Dojikko: Has a habit of tripping and dropping huge stacks of papers.
- Moe: Exploited in-universe to distract the teachers from a questionable PA broadcast.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Gives it to Riko.
- Responsible for almost every paper fan used in this series and Misolala."My specialty is... making paper fans very fast!"
- Responsible for almost every paper fan used in this series and Misolala.
- Shrinking Violet
- Third-Person Person
- Weight Woe
- Affectionate Nickname: Gets called "Eno" by Sayori.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Fiery Redhead
- Hair Flip
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Haru
- Student Council President: On paper. Later takes up the vice president role since Maki becomes the de-facto president.
- Why Did It Have to be Bus?
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Affectionate Nickname: Gets called "Sayo" by Yuiko.
- Blind Without 'Em: She actually tripped on her own feet after the girls take her glasses away briefly to change her look for a date.
- Brutal Honesty: She often says it like she sees it, which doesn't go over well with Riko a lot of times.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : She meets up with her secret boyfriend once, outside of school. A member of the shady newspaper club wanders by and takes a picture, accidentally reveals it to the teachers, and Sayori is nearly kicked out of the student council.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Gamer Chick
- Girlfriend in Canada: Supposedly has a boyfriend, whom she hasn't seen in person since their relationship began.
- Long Distance Relationship: Subverted he does exist.
- Greed: In the form of Money Fetish, no less.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As much of a Jerk Ass she can be at times, she does have moments where she's nice and does things without an ulterior motive, such as when Maki's love lab notes were accidentally distributed at a student council meeting. Sayo claims that said notes were research for a question given to them anonymously by a student, and they all accept that excuse, since they're unaware of Maki's Cloud Cuckoo Lander tendencies.
- Money Fetish: She openly admits to Yuiko that it's money she likes, not the accounting work that comes with the treasurer position and worse, obsessed with controlling the fundings of people she can manipulate.
- Only Sane Woman: In the sense that she's the only one in the student council who doesn't fall for Riko's lie.
- Riches to Rags: She was transferred out from Fujisaki Academy to a public school when she was in her fourth grade because her parent's business went under.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: A large portion of the time.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Discussed by Maki when describing her.
- When She Laughs: Has only two known instances of actual happy laughter, both of them heart-melting; especially to Yuiko.
- Wingding Eyes: Displays yen symbols in her eyes in at least one scene.
Minami Middle School’s Student
Voiced by: Takahiro MizushimaRiko's childhood friend and former football teammate. He goes to the same cram school as Yan and Mika.
- Berserk Button: Don't call him cute.
- Book Dumb: On par with Riko.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: In his childhood.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend
- Oblivious to Love
- He Is All Grown Up: Even Riko couldn't recognize him at first.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Implied to be one towards Riko. The truth is a bit mixed, as Satoshi and Riko were somewhat close when they were younger, and later on he admits to Maki that he did have a crush on Riko. Whether that was a lie to cover for Riko, or a truth, considering he did run away after hearing Riko rejected him, is uncertain.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu MatsuokaThe Vice-President of Minami Middle School's Student Council. He goes to the same cram school as Nagi and Mika.
- The Ace: Every bit as good as Maki.
- Deadpan Snarker: Much like Sayori, he often tells it like he sees it.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick
- In-Series Nickname: "Yan"
- Mistaken Nationality
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Everyone called him Yan, Riko doesn't even remember his real name at first.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Receives one from Maki, Suzu's handmade.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Incidentally, he was also the one who was forced to tutor Riko so that she could attend Fujisaki, which seems to have high academic requirements. When he tells Maki about it, he seems really resentful about it however.
The Student Council President of Minami Middle School's Student Council.
Fujisaki Girls Academy Newspaper Association
Voiced by: ChunaMember of the newspaper association, used to be classmate with Sayo in public elementary school.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Perpetual Smiler
- Terrible Artist: Her drawings of student council members.◊
- Those Two Girls
- Weight Woe: Gets highly offended when Maki coincidentally gives her the chubby girls info first.
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka.Member and the photographer of the newspaper association.
- Ambiguously Brown: In the manga.
- Camera Fiend
- Not So Different: With Suzune
- Those Two Girls
- The Klutz
Voiced by: Suwa AyakaRiko's friend and classmate, goes to the same cram school as Nagi and Yan. She joined the newspaper association in vol. 7.
Voiced by: Satomi AraiSayo and Eno's homeroom teacher.
Voiced by: Yuka TerasakiRiko's younger brother.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Riko
- Chick Magnet
- In-Series Nickname: "Stardust Ren"
- Love at First Sight: He falls for Maki at first sight.
- Mouthy Kid
- Precocious Crush: On Maki
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his mother.
Voiced by: Kamei YoshikoRiko's mother.
Maki MasanobuMaki's father, he is the president of "True Tree" lingerie company.
Maki NatsuhoMaki's older sister.
Tanahashi YuuyaSuzu's older brother. work as an illustrator in Mars Design Company.
Makino (Tanahashi) Hiroka
Voiced By: Saori HayamiSuzu's older sister.
- Doting Older Sister
- Gag Boobs
- Happily Married
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: As far as she is concerned, Suzu can only date after she passed her coming of age ceremony.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Asked Suzu to make around thirty after her first day in her new workplace.
- She Is All Grown Up
Voiced by: Murase AyumuSayo's classmate in public elementary school. He is also Sayo's boyfriend.
- Beauty Mark: Below his right eye.
- Crash-Into Hello: His face to Sayo's underskirt.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Long Distance Relationship: Even though the distance between his and Sayo's house is only 15 minutes by bus. Poor guy...
- The Faceless
- Shrinking Violet
- Single-Target Sexuality
- What Does He See in Her?
Eno's Older Brother
Voiced by: Sugita Tomokazu