open/close all folders
Voiced by: Yuuki Kaji (Japanese), Christopher Bevins (English)A boy with the power of levitation amplified by intense emotions. Once shunned as a child due to his powers, he has since started wearing boots inlaid with pockets with which he can place weights so as to keep him aground every time. A chance encounter with Mikono, however, ultimately forces him to start embracing his powers.In the series, he is the main pilot of Aquarion EVOL. In Aquarion Love, he takes over as Aquarion Gepard's pilot after Zessica is defeated by Apollo.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Suffered a moderate one as a child when his levitation powers went off in the middle of a group of kids, hence the reason he wears pocketed boots with which he can place weights.
- Animals Hate Him: At least Shu-Shu does.
- Battle Strip: In Episode 8, he tears off his Vector suit to increase his sensitivity to Jin's missiles and thus learn how to evade them more efficiently.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Kagura's Veronica for Mikono, and the Archie to Mikono's Betty and Zessica's Veronica.
- Birds of a Feather: With Mikono.
- Butt Monkey: Got threatened by Cayenne with a beatdown twice, getting his ass sniped by Donar for floating around too much, and getting teased a lot by Zessica? The poor boy's got a tough life ahead. And that's not to mention frequent misunderstandings with Mikono.
- Cain and Abel: With Kagura.
- Chick Magnet: Many a female classmate squeed at the sight of him baring his chest by tearing off his Vector suit in Episode 8.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: While Apollo was a brash and impulsive Jerk with a Heart of Gold, Amata is a calm and withdrawn Nice Guy.
- Cowardly Lion: He's rather timid and shy compared to the other male characters, but when push comes to shove, he can be just as Hot-Blooded as them.
- Cursed with Awesome: He hates his Element power, since it's not always controllable and has led to him being ostracized in the past.
- Declaration of Protection: He tells Mikono he will protect her.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Mikono.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Towards Mikono. Probably justified, since she is the reincarnation of his lover.
- Everyone Can See It: His UST with Mikono.
- Flight: His Element power is the ability to fly when his heart beats quickly. It manifests as a pair of wings sprouting from his ankles.
- Heroic Bystander: Initially, he was just that guy working in a movie theatre before he gets thrown into the cockpit and saves everyone.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Initially. After joining Neo DEAVA he starts accepting his powers, knowing there are other teens like him.
- Instant Expert: After one small lesson from Zessica, he pilots Aquarion rather well for the first time in his life.
- Love at First Sight: He falls for Mikono right away. Possibly justified since they were lovers in their past life.
- Oblivious to Love: Towards Zessica. He catches on later, and feels increasingly uncomfortable about her feelings for him - he doesn't love her but as her friend he wants her to be happy and is worried about her.
- Power Incontinence: He loses control of his levitation powers when he feels intense emotions. He wears boots inlaid with pockets with which he can place weights so as to keep him aground every time.
- Psychoactive Powers: They're connected to his emotions.
- Purple Eyes: His violet eyes hint at his levitation powers and the fact that he's Apollo's reincarnation.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Andy's red. Also the blue to Kagura's red.
- Reincarnation: Of Winged Hound Pollon/Apollo.
- Reincarnation Romance: With Mikono.
- Subverted when called on how he only loves Mikono because of their past Amata decries this stating that he does not love a memory or a past life but the Mikono in front of him now and goes on to show how well he has gotten to know her by talking about these things.
- Running Gag: Take a shot every time his power activates.
- Screw Destiny: Does not believe that Kagura and Mikono are destined for each other because they are the reincarnations of Apollon and Sylvie, and that Mikono won't choose him because of this fact. It turns out that he's actually right: Kagura is his Enemy Without, created by Mykage when he abducted Alicia.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The sensitive guy to Andy's manly man.
- Shot in the Ass: Courtesy of Donar. Poor boy.
- Tarot Motifs: Is associated with the Jack of Clubs.
- This Loser Is You: Initially. As of Episode 8, he has graduated into one of Neo DEAVA's Chick Magnets.
- Twice Shy: With Mikono.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Mikono.
- Abusive Parents: Her father is verbally abusive anyway, after he finds out that she's been enrolled in Neo DEAVA (18 episodes later, mind you), his response is basically, "What the heck is she doing with Cayenne? She's useless after all."
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She's attracted to Kagura, which seems to confuse even her as to why this would be the case.
- Always Someone Better: How she feels about her brother Cayenne, who according to her, has everything.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Zessica's Veronica for Amata, and the Archie to Amata's Betty and Kagura's Veronica.
- Big Brother Worship: Had this relationship with Cayenne when they were younger, but these feelings have grown distant when he went off to join Neo DEAVA, seemingly leaving her behind.
- Birds of a Feather: With Amata.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Not exactly clingy per se, but she usually gives Amata the cold shoulder whenever another girl makes him float.
- Cowardly Lion: Showed shades of this in the first episode where she tries to persuade Amata into running away even though they were in the midst of a battle with lives on the line. Luckily this side of her disappears when she joins Neo DEAVA because she starts to gain more confidence in herself.
- Distress Ball: Catches it whenever Kagura is around.
- Everyone Can See It: Her UST with Amata.
- First Girl Wins: She was the first to meet Amata in the very first episode and she ends up with him.
- Freudian Excuse: Her low self-esteem and cowardice stems from her father.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She's jealous of Zessica for being able to make Amata float. But she'll probably get over it since he floats for just about everyone, including Yunoha, who's apparently but a little girl.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's very subtle unlike most examples, but she's quick to get angry.
- The Heart: Serves mostly as the emotional bond that keeps the Element Users, highly disparate personalities and all, together. In Episode 9, she finally convinces MIX to perform a cross-gender Union with Andy (and later Amata).
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Turns out her own power is to amplify emotional connections between the Elements. As the Aquarion draws its energy from bonds, she can indirectly increase its power, making her a valuable asset to Neo DEAVA.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: She insists Amata isn't her partner and often denies her feelings for Amata when anyone asks or implies it. No one is convinced.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Be it Amata or Kagura.
- Hikikomori: Initially, mostly out of fear of abduction and issues concerning her apparent lack of powers in contrast to the rest of her family. By the time of the series proper she's decided to reinvent herself and is actively denying her social fears.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Initially, she comes off as rather antisocial and withdrawn out of envy of other girls, all of which are Element User. Even bringing up Cayenne became a bit of a Berserk Button for her. This changes after reuniting with Amata where she becomes more cheerful and even becomes friends with some of her classmates. When she finally discovers her powers she fully breaks out of her shell.
- In-Series Nickname: Kagura calls her his "wench" or his "smelly wench." From Episode 11 onward, this changes to "Sylvie."
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Zessica's dark.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Comes from a family of Element Users, but apparently was born without any powers. This turns out not to be the case; it's just that her Element power is rather subtle, and its effects aren't particularly noticeable as being the result of a supernatural ability.
- Naïve Newcomer: Unlike Amata who instantly knows what to do when piloting Aquarion, it takes her a few tries before she's actually comfortable with it.
- Nice Girl: Low self-esteem and quick-temper aside, Mikono is mostly kind and polite.
- Ojou: She hails from the well-respected Suzushiro family. Which is a bit of an Informed Attribute since she doesn't act like one nor does anyone ever treat her like one. Which is weird since her relatives are famous element-users yet none of her element-user classmates acknowledge that fact. The only thing she's been acknowledged for is being the younger sister of Cayenne.
- Protectorate: To Amata and Cayenne.
- Reincarnation: Of Celiane/Silvia.
- Reincarnation Romance: With Amata.
- Shrinking Violet: According to Cayenne, being powerless amidst a family of Element Users has made her shy and insecure.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Shows signs of becoming this.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Has feelings for Amata.
- Stranger in a Strange School: Always feels out-of-place in Neo DEAVA, whereas Amata can at least fit in with his equally psychic classmates.
- Super Empowering: Neo DEAVA's higher-ups speculate that her true power may be enhancing the Aquarion's combat abilities. Episode 9 reveals that she does so in an indirect way through amplifying her teammates' emotional bonds.
- Sympathy for the Devil: For Kagura. She compares him to a stray dog and believes that he's just really lonely. These feelings are replaced with fear as he continues to grow more and more Yandere for her. But after Kagura kidnaps her in Episode 15, and she figures out that he actually means the opposite of what he says, she regains her sympathy for him.
- Talking in Your Sleep: While unconscious in Episode 6, she mumbles about apologizing to Kagura; when she comes to her senses, she claims she can't remember and doesn't know why.
- Tarot Motifs: Is associated with the Ace of Hearts.
- Tsundere: Type B. She is an all-around Nice Girl to everyone, but her tsuntsun can manifest whenever Amata starts floating around in the presence of another girl (mostly courtesy of Zessica).
- Twice Shy: With Amata.
- The Unfavorite: In episode 18, Mikono recieves a letter from her father. As she reads the letter, she figures out that it wasn't for her. It was for her brother, Cayenne...Ouch.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Amata.
- Uptown Girl: An Ojou who has feelings for the Unlucky Everydude Amata.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears a pair of violet-red thigh-high boots.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Amata in episode 16, which causes the Aquarion to go berserk.
- Badass in Distress: After Mykage unwillingly possesses her.
- Because Destiny Says So: Believes that Kagura and Mikono are destined for each other because they are the reincarnations of Apollon and Sylvie, and that Mikono won't choose Amata in the end.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Mikono's Betty for Amata.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In the manga, this happens to her instead of MIX; in her case, she more or less becomes Mykage's bodyguard, seemingly without her previous memories.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Ever since she started developing genuine feelings for Amata, she's actually stopped teasing him.
- Chekhov's Gun: Her preference for Stripperiffic clothing becomes a key to defeating Jin's Radius Gnis for the third time. While being hit with missiles that destroy her, Amata's, and Mikono's Vector suits, Zessica realizes that the less clothing she has, the more sensitive she becomes to the missiles, allowing her to dodge them effortlessly. She starts tearing off more of her suit and encourages Amata and Mikono to do the same while she tears down Radius Gnis with Aquarion Spada.
- Cleavage Window: Her top has a cut on the front side that shows her breast cleavage.
- Deal with the Devil: A forced one by the Mykage in episode 19.
- Demonic Possession: Courtesy of Mykage, natch.
- Gender Bender: She gets turned into a man instead of MIX in the manga, being called ZEXY.
- Genki Girl: At first.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Gets depressed and jealous whenever she sees Amata and Mikono together, although she mostly keeps it to herself. As of Episode 12, these repressed feelings are starting to seep out, such as accidentally crushing a pole with her powers after she sees Amata fly for Mikono.
- Hair Decorations: The orange ribbon on top of her head.
- Hand Blast: One of her abilities
- Heroes Want Redheads: As of Episode 8, for Amata.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempts this in episode 18, but MIX is taken away instead. Tries again in episode 21 and survives again. Tries one more time in the finale, asking Kagura to kill her. He refuses.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Amata.
- I Just Want to Be You: In episode 17, she changes her clothes in an attempt to imitate Mikono to gain Amata's affections.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: At the end.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Deconstructed. In episode 18, her hot-headed and rushed decisions gets Mix kidnapped.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The dark to Mikono's light.
- Love Hurts: It just so happens that every time Amata and Mikono have a moment together, she's always there to witness it.
- Mind over Matter: Her telekinetic Impact-power (twists a light pole behind her in anger).
- Misery Poker: Let's see, in a cast where there's characters who has gone through tough situations, like being abandoned by their parents as a child, killing their parents by accident because uncontrollable music-related powers, tortured since childhood, and so on. Zessica's excuse to go through a suicidal depression? Amata not returning her feelings. A bit of a clumsy writing, indeed.
- Ms. Fanservice: Who else would wear a tank-top that barely tries to hide her breasts and ridiculously short shorts?
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: She confesses her unrequited love for Amata while they are in the Aquarion, causing it to go berserk.
- Psychoactive Powers: Apparently, they are connected to her frustration.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl
- Shower of Angst: She goes to go through this in episode 18.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Zessica says she likes innocent guys like Amata.
- Stepford Smiler: Shows signs of this in Episode 13 to hide her depression/jealousy over Amata and Mikono.
- Tarot Motifs: Is associated with the Ace of Diamonds.
- The Spook: In an odd way. She's clear a good guy, but unlike everyone else we learn nothing about her the entire show. Not her past. Not her family. Nothing. Just vague hints that maybe she's someones reincarnation, and maybe something isn't quite right with her, and maybe her flirty cheerfulness is a cover for some pain of some kind, but those are just hints that are never clarified.
- Thanks for the Mammary: Is at the receiving end of this from an Altair local in episode 19. Strangely it wasn't done out of perversion, but curiosity - the locals of Altair have not seen a living female in ages and thus don't know what breasts are.
- Underboobs: In episode 17, she changes her skimpy outfit for a dress that is much more modest in general, except for a cut on her top that exposes the undersides of her breasts.
- Vapor Wear: Wears a skimpy tank-top and shorts with a side opening bound together by laces which show that she doesn't wear underwear at all.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: If the last episode, as well as Aquarion Love, are anything to go by, she seems to have formed something like this with Kagura, of all people.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: In the Crisis Crossover OVA, she is knocked unconscious following a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown from an Ax-Crazy Apollo and she is promptly switched with Amata using Element Change. We don't see her afterwards in the OVA.
- What Is This Feeling?: Started feeling embarrassment at the end of Episode 8 over seeing Amata half-naked after all three stripped off their Vector suits to allow them to defeat Radius Gnis.
- What's He Got That I Ain't Got?!: She frequently questions what's that Mikono has that makes Amata choose her over her.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She does. Ridiculously short ones.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's terrified of ghosts.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green hair, in her case.
- Zettai Ryouiki: In episode 17, she starts wearing black thigh-high boots to imitate Mikono.
Chick Magnet (though to a lesser extent than Shrade). His power is psychic vision through a red point of light emanating from his forehead (like a Third Eye of sorts), which allows him to become an excellent sniper. However, he is also haunted by visions of Mikono perishing through a chain of events apparently linked to the Aquarion, and thus he tries his best to keep Mikono safe, even if he has to demoralize her.He is the most frequent pilot of Aquarion Gepard.
- Big Brother Instinct: He feels quite protective of Mikono, but unfortunately this means he has a tough time, at first, of realizing that she actually can stand on her own feet now and no longer needs his protection.
- Declaration of Protection: Ever since they were kids, he wanted to protect his sister Mikono.
- Combat Clairvoyance: Gains this after the special training of the grave.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Shrade.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: In the first episode alone he even performs target practice blindfolded.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can be downright mean at times to his own sister, but only because he doesn't want her, a Muggle Born of Mages, to risk her life fighting Abductors, at least not until she tells him that she's willing to get hurt alongside him.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: Roguish Male to Shrade's Noble Male.
- Properly Paranoid: Regarding Jin.
- Psychic Powers: Precognition of bad events.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Shrade's blue.
- Say My Name: Mikono!!!
- Tsundere: A male Type A—frequently abrasive towards everybody (especially Amata), but occasionally shows a softer, protective side towards Mikono, and as a few episodes show, is also starting to defrost to Shrade.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Due to his visions of Mikono's death related to the Aquarion, he tries his best to keep her away from anything related to it—by having to lower her self-esteem a few notches.
Andy W. Hole
- Attack Its Weak Point: He creates tunnels by finding the weakpoint in the structure of the material and crumbling it down into a hole.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With MIX.
- Beta Couple: With MIX starting Episode 9.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Amata and Mikono from Kagura in Episode 13 by creating a hole beneath the latter's feet.
- Bromantic Foil: To Amata, until he gets paired up with MIX.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He's the most perverted of the male cast, but it's also clear that he cares about the girls as people at the same time. In fact, he declares in the end that he'd love Mix even if she remained a man, though fortunately for him, she returned to being female by the end.
- Demoted to Extra: In the manga, he loses any focus he got in the anime, not even getting any hints of a relationship with MIX. Perhaps because of this, he even got his first co-ed merge (see below) with no issue.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: He and MIX finally become true lovers — and the latter reverted to female — in Episode 26.
- If It's You, It's Okay: When MIX is turned into a boy in Altair, he tells her that he still loves her no matter her gender.
- Opposites Attract: With MIX.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Amata's blue.
- Running Gag: Frequently being denied a chance to make cross-gender Unions. He even lampshades on his misfortune when he had to be swapped for Amata in making a union with Zessica and Shrade.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The manly man to Amata's sensitive guy.
- Serious Business: Tunneling
- Shipper on Deck: Supports Amata in his pursuit to dig a hole Mikono's heart.
- Superpower Meltdown: After his rejection by Mix in the beach episode, he became unstable getting depressed thinking of her would cause him to tunnel immediately beneath himself whenever he thought about it. This went From Bad to Worse when he discovers Mix's fate due to the Curse of Eve.
- Tunnel King: He is very good at digging holes, which extends to rapidly burrowing through the earth.
- Unrealistic Black Hole: The ultimate evolution of his "digging" power is the ability to dig a "black hole" between dimensions, opening trans-dimensional gates entirely on his own.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Big bangs" to Mix's large breasts.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: In Episode 9, just when he finally has a chance to form a cross-gender Union (with MIX and Mikono), he ended up having to cover MIX from mook fire, knocking him unconscious and being forced to switch out of the Vector-X for Amata. But hey, at least he felt the orgasmic ecstasy of a Union twice (in "spirit" for the second one, at least).
- Barrier Warrior: Uses her powers to clog three enemy Abductors' weapons and propulsion systems.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Andy.
- Beta Couple: With Andy starting Episode 9.
- Blank White Eyes: Sported these on Episode 16 after hearing Zessica confess to Amata and again in Episode 17 after Andy's rather suggestive confession to her.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: As of episode 19, though it's not explained that this happened until episode 20.
- Damsel in Distress: Gets kidnapped in episode 18.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Starting Episode 9, her focus episode.
- Demoted to Extra: In the manga, same deal as Andy. A big deal isn't even made when they eventually do merge (odd given her attitude towards males); they were just randomly there for Shrade's (belated) first merge. Zessica also takes he place in the whole Brainwashed and Crazy Gender Bender subplot.
- Does Not Like Men: Which makes her relationship with Andy all the more awkward for her.
- Freudian Excuse: Her disdain for men and holes stems from her father, a sightseeing magazine writer, abandoning her and her mother in favor of a woman he met at a hole-in-the-wall bathhouse.
- Gag Boobs: There's a reason Andy calls her well-endowed pair "big bangs."
- Gender Bender: As with Brainwashed and Crazy above, this has happened since episode 19, but isn't explained until 20. Mix is affected by the disease that "wiped out" Altair's women... by turning their bodies and minds into those of men. After being so afflicted, they brainwashed her and sent her out as an enemy pilot against Aquarion, calling herself Mixy now (As in a combo of Mix and XY). She gets better come Episode 26.
- Midair Repair: Uses her powers to close the bullet holes in the Vector-Z.
- Opposites Attract: With Andy.
- Skunk Stripe: Her left bang is purple while the rest of her hair is orange.
- Straw Feminist: Originally.
- Tarot Motifs: Is associated with the Queen of Diamonds.
- Tsundere: She develops feelings for Andy while she still treats him like a stupid pervert and always gets into arguments with him.
- The Ace: Mentioned as being the top student at Neo-DEAVA, so good that he isn't even required to participate in training. He's also an incredible piano and violin player. His only drawback is his frail health.
- Back for the Finale: His spirit brings his Vector back and gives his power to Cayenne to help him against Mykage.
- Blessed with Suck: His Element power caused many of those he knew, including his own parents, to murder each other. This has lead to him being rather... cold toward most of the other characters: he isn't exactly unkind to them, but he doesn't really seem to care much about anything either, with the possible exception of Cayenne.
- Cast from Lifespan: Crea theorizes that the Aquarion's tendency to evenly distribute the Elements' powers among each other could be too much for Shrade's weak body (despite his high energy pool) to handle, and could be possibly lethal. He actually survives his first active sortie, but has to be hospitalized and was given a warning by Crea that the next sortie could become his last.
- Child Prodigy: He was a musical prodigy as a child.
- Cultured Badass: Not only is he a competent Element User, he also likes adding musical references to his speeches, especially whenever he is the narrator on the "On the Next" segments.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His Element power was, at first, uncontrolled and his piano playing aroused extreme negative emotions within those listening, unintentionally causing his parents to kill each other.
- Death by Adaptation: He lives in the manga.
- Dissonant Serenity: Andy lampshades on how calm he can be while mentally torturing Cayenne into stopping his attempted beatdown on Amata over the bizarre conclusion to their simulation battle.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Cayenne.
- Ill Boy: His body is generally too weak to handle his powerful ability, which is why he isn't usually sent out in real battles.
- Killed Off for Real: In Episode 23.
- Magic Music: He has the ability to use music to manipulate brainwaves, with which he can stun people or drive them into a genocidal frenzy.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: Noble Male to Cayenne's Roguish Male.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Cayenne's red.
- Self-Made Orphan: Unintentionally. His power suddenly manifested while playing the piano, making his parents kill each other.
- Specs of Awesome: Wears glasses and is the top Element of the group.
- Tarot Motifs: Is associated with the Ace of Spades.
- Birds of a Feather: With Jin.
- Covert Pervert: She bought a picture of a half-naked Amata.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Sings the second ending Yunoha no Mori
- Fragile Flower: To an even greater degree than Mikono.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Always carries around a green frog-like plushie which is, until Episode 7, her only sign of presence.
- Go Through Me: Places herself between Jin and Cayenne, who was then armed with a stun gun, in order to protect the former when the latter confronted him about being a spy. The latter's gun fires at that precise moment, only for Jin to place himself in front of Yunoha and, by pure accident, block it with an energy shield.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Had a crush on Amata, well before Jin came along.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Jin's death nearly drove her into becoming a Death Seeker. She recovers once Jin's spirit and Mikono encourage her to live.
- Human All Along: Amata initially thought of her as a ghost at the end of Episode 7 until she reveals she's a live human girl all along.
- Invisibility: Her power. She has great misgivings about her powers, which make many think she's a ghost. Though it turns out to be pretty useful in their second fight against Jin's Radius Gnis, where she can turn the Aquarion invisible and thus impervious to damage, allowing Amata to finish it off with the "Subliminal Punch."
- Multicolored Hair: Lilac turning to golden brown at the lower half, which bears a striking resemblance to Byakuren Hijiri.
- Older Than She Looks: As a matter of fact, she's actually fifteen, making her a year older than Jin.
- Personality Powers: Her power of perfect camouflage seems well-suited to her innate shyness.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: In Episode 12, she discovers that Jin is The Mole thanks to Mykage's interference. Conflicted by his deceit and her growing friendship/relationship with him, she keeps this knowledge from Jin until the next episode.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Jin.
- Tender Tears: The sight of her in tears is enough to make Jin start wavering over his original goal of personally capturing a "Rare Igura" worthy of becoming Altair's "Eve." Come Episode 13, she breaks down crying as Jin dies in front of her.
- Twice Shy: With Jin.
- Fangirl: Of Cayenne.
- Incredibly Lame Pun She is a Fujoshi (literally: "Rotten Girl") who's power is causing things to rot.
- Poisonous Person: Her Element is Corrosion.
- Shutter Bug: Implied, since she always shows up selling pictures of her classmates, including while fighting.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Ships Cayenne and Shrade, and in Episode 8, entertains the idea of a pairing between Amata and Andy after the former buys a picture of Andy from her, unaware that he only bought it because said picture managed to capture Kagura walking behind Andy.
Voiced by: Kensuke Sato (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)A handsome dark-skinned student with the power to destabilize objects.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His Element give him the ability to severely weaken objects.
- Power Glows: His Element makes his hand glow.
- Alliterative Name: Donar Dantes.
- Arm Cannon: Several attachments he can equip to his prosthetics.
- Artificial Limbs: Both arms, with which he can store weapons (such as tasers and bowguns).
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Suomi.
- Character Tics: Punching his fist into his palm.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was the main pilot of the Aquarion on the day it went berserk and he lost both his lover and his arms.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: His Artificial Limbs ache every time something bad is about to happen, such as Kagura's surprise attack.
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Dreamed of Mykage attacking him. The next day he shows up in Neo DEAVA's bridge during Kagura's rampage...
- Swiss Army Appendage: A variation. He can only equip one attachment at a time beneath his prosthetic hands, but one scene shows he has a veritable armory of possible attachments in his quarters.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Donar.
- Covert Pervert: On Episode 8, while watching Mikono's spirit levels rapidly rising due to embarrassment over Amata seeing her half-naked, she describes to Donar the excitement of being stared at while half-naked.
- Nun Too Holy: For someone who dresses as a nun, she often makes comments that imply she's got a sensual side. Of course, given that Christianity doesn't exist in Aquarion, who knows whether she has any vows of chastity connected with her religion.
- Second Love: For Donar.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep"
- Put on a Bus: Disappeared for a while after Zen and Crea reappeared, then makes occasional reappearances on Episodes 9 and 12.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), Brandon Potter (English)High Commander of Neo DEAVA who offers guidance to the students in his own unusual way.
- Big Good: High Commander of Neo DEAVA.
- Large Ham: He loves being extremely dramatic in everything he does.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: At the end of Episode 13, his constant smirk of all-knowing is replaced with a look of horror, followed by that of seething anger, over Mykage killing Jin.
- Oh Crap!: His reaction to Mykage killing off Jin for daring to defy him.
- Perpetual Smiler: Rarely seen without a smirk of all-knowing. Thus when he frowns it means something went horrifyingly wrong.
- Really 700 Years Old: Yes, this is the real Apollonius and the same Gen Fudo from 12,000 years ago.
- The Reveal: He's Apollonius.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She wears a black lolita dress. Just like Rena, her implied past life.
- Improbably High I.Q.: She's a genius with an IQ beyond 300.
- Mystical White Hair: She has white hair, which is a hint that she's Rena's reincarnation.
- Older Than She Looks: She looks like a little girl, but it's implied she's much older than she appears.
- Reincarnation: More than implied to be the reincarnation of Rena from the original series. She even sits in Rena's chair in episode 23.
- Shipper on Deck: For Donar and Suomi.
Voiced by: Kouki Uchiyama (Japanese), Taliesin Jaffe (English)One of Izumo's two main subordinates and a hot-blooded warrior who loves charging into battle headlong with Mithra Gnis, a machine suited for melee combat and Kagura's tendency to move around like a quadrupedal beast. He gains the ability of "Reversal".Late in the series he pilots the original Solar Aquarion, still golden as when it was last seen. In Aquarion Love, he is the sole pilot of Aquarion EVOL.
- Animorphism: He can change to a black wolf from time to time. On episode 11, after Mykage awakes his (fake) Genetic Memory, it gains red eyes and matching fur.
- Attack Reflector: Has gained the power to reverse, which allowed him to reflect Amata's Mugen Punch.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: He never retreats from battle until he wins, even when it's clear that he's on disadvantage. Most of the times he gets whisked away by Mykage at the last moment.
- An Axe to Grind: His Mithra Gnis wields an axe.
- Bad Is Good and Good Is Bad: It seems he says and hears the reverse of things in regards to Mikono, as the more he craves for her, the more he insults and threatens her, much to her horror, until she learns the true meaning behind his seemingly harsh words.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Mykage abused him mentally, physically, and emotionally way back since childhood from the moment Mykage split him from his other half Amata. Made worse by the fact that he finds it pretty normal, or at least is used to his torturing. One can only imagine how much Mykage has screwed him up. Confirmed by Word of God, even after he unwillingly killed his father Izumo, he still didn't grieved over it. Yamamoto said that being raised by Mykage made Kagura a twisted person.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Amata's Betty for Mikono.
- Blood Knight: To the point he'll do anything to stay in battle, even disobey orders. Even stealing a leg from another mecha to replace his missing one...
- Blow You Away: His Mithra Gnis can cast a tornado, although he just uses it only twice.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Shown when Mykage controls him to kill his father Izumo.
- Cain and Abel: With Amata.
- Convenient Coma: Mykage can do this to him by humming Sousei No Aquarion.
- Determinator: Say what you want about the guy, but he is pretty determined when it comes to getting his "wench".
- Easily Forgiven: Kagura seems to have been accepted by Neo DEAVA judging by the epilogue. Take note this is the same place where he went on a rampage and actually caused the deaths of several of its students. Some of it may be justified since Mykage took part in it with his mind control, but some of his actions were completely on his own will, such as repeatedly trying to kill Amata and beating everyone who gets in his way, i.e MIX and Andy.
- Enemy Without: Of Amata.
- Entitled to Have You: He has this towards Mikono, reinforced even more by Mykage, who manipulated him to believe he's Apollon, Sylvie's past life lover, and therefore having the right to claim her.
- Evil Counterpart: To Amata.
- Expy: Bears a strong resemblance to Apollo, down to their heightened sense of smell. Episode 11 implies that he is the reincarnation of Apollo/Apollon, but 11 episodes later is actually revealed to be Amata's Enemy Without and fellow reincarnation of Apollonius's pet dog, Pollon, who turned out to be the original incarnation of Apollo form the first anime.
- Fake Memories: As revealed in Episode 18, Kagura's "memories" of his past life with "Sylvie" as "Apollon" were implanted by Mykage, based on the "Skies of Aquaria".
- Forced to Watch: On episode 8 Mykage forced him to watch as Jin "violated" Mikono by stripping her clothes with his mecha.
- Freudian Excuse: Mykage's torturing and abuse made him desperate to find someone that would accept him, reason why he grew so obsessed with Mikono.
- Heel–Face Turn: Come Episode 26, after Mykage disposes of him for the last time, in an Out of Character moment, he decides to help Amata and Mikono to fight against Mykage, starting with freeing Zessica from the subconscious realm she is consigned to after her body was taken over by Mykage, and then forming a gattai with Amata.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Mikono.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: At the end, he lets Amata have Mikono because "he loves her for she is now" not because of who she was in her past life.
- Leeroy Jenkins: As time passed he's increasingly became a liability to Izumo's plans, not to mention all the collateral damage he does whenever he's near his "smelly wench." So much so he had to be reined in by Mykage (and is literally caged) after losing to Aquarion for the second time. Fortunately for Mykage, he found a way to use Kagura's unpredictability in his favor.
- By episode 23 he rebels against Izumo when all of Altair tries to get Mikono to revive their planet. Even Izumo says that he no longer has the right to call himself a citizen of Altair.
- Leitmotif: Has "Beast Beat", "Kagura's Wasteland" and "Fragments of Eve".
- Let's You and Him Fight: He and Apollo start fighting not even a minute after meeting each other, for no other reason than they can't stand the other's scent.
- Like Father, Like Son: He's a lot like his father Izumo in his youth. The difference between the two being that he doesn't care if Mykage finds out about the woman he loves like his father did.
- Literal Split Personality: He's the "dark side" of Amata split by Mykage when the latter was a kid, who rewrote his memories and renamed him "Kagura".
- Lovable Sex Maniac: If you take that "kill" is the opposite of sexual reproduction, he falls into this. Starting from episode 11 he never stops talking about how badly he wants to "kill" Mikono and how he's going to kill her over and over again...
- Love Hungry: Revealed to be what drives all of his actions. Being tortured and controlled by Mykage made him desperate to be accepted by someone, in this case, Sylvie.
- Love Makes You Crazy: With a lot of help from Mykage.
- Loving a Shadow: Even though he was attracted to Mikono's smell in the beginning, from the moment Mykage mindcontrols him to believe he's Apollon he starts to chase after Mikono because he thinks she's "his Sylvie".
- Luminescent Blush: Around Mikono.
- Moment Killer: Is a constant offender of this towards Amata/Mikono moments, specifically in Episode 5 and Episode 12.
- More Than Mind Control: To the point that all of his actions that he attempts to do to get his "smelly wench" are all part of Mykage's plan.
- Motive Decay: Mixed with Angst? What Angst? and Out-of-Character Moment. By episode 26 he gets over his obsession with Sylvie/Mikono unexpectedly quickly, happily handing Mikono to Amata and even supporting him in the process. Take in account that one episode earlier he said that he was willing to sacrifice his own parents if that was necessary to be with Mikono, later saying he'd first watch the world burn before losing her. Out-of-Character Moment indeed.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: He attempts this in Episode 13 by threatening Amata after the latter rescues Mikono from him, but he is thwarted by Andy and Mix.
- Later on episode 15 he tries again, by punching him to death. Fortunately, Wings of Detachment came to be useful.
- And again on episode 22.
- My Greatest Failure: In the manga, he seems to feel regret over leaving Silvia behind during his days as Apollo. Trying to make up for it this time may possibly factor into his motivation here.
- My Future Self and Me: In Sousei no Aquarion Love, he and Apollo almost instantly dislike each other, and start fighting in their respective Aquarions (Kagura in Evol and Apollo in Solar).
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Gives quite the beating to Amata on episode 15 while attempting to kill him.
- The Nose Knows: An important point in his character, since he recognized Silvia's reincarnation by her smell.
- No Sense of Personal Space
- Not in This for Your Revolution: He'd rather chase after his "smelly wench" Mikono than join the hunt for the "New Eve."
- Not Worth Killing: Spares Zessica after she asked him to kill her because killing someone who wants to die for Amata disgusts him.
- One-Man Army: He was already powerful in Episode 1 where he thrashed two Aquarias like they were nothing. This is turned Up to Eleven in Episode 11, where he took down several of Altair's machines, wreaking havoc across Ianthe (capital of Altair) unless Izumo reopens the gate to Vega. Altair had to fire their Wave Motion Gun thrice and pepper him with a Beam Spam until he goes down... only for him to rise back and, with Mykage's aid, manage to teleport to Vega, where he defeats Amata's Aquarion Evol, and has to be defeated by a double-Aquarion teamup (Gepard of Jin/Yunoha, Cayenne and Zessica, and Spada of Shrade, Amata and Mikono).
- Personality Powers: Inverted. His new found Reversal abilities changes his own personality. Shown in his encounter with Mikono in Episode 13, he now says the opposite of what he really feels.
- Perpetual Frowner: Most of the time, when he isn't around Mikono.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In his wolf form.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Jin's blue. And also the red to Amata's blue.
- Shock and Awe: His axe can do this.
- Self-Made Orphan: In the anime, though thanks to Mykage in Zessica's body controlling him to kill both his mother and father. He didn't have anything to do with it in the manga though, as there Mykage killed them himself.
- Stalker Shrine:
- Kind of a digital one. On episode 11 while he screams "MY SYLVIE" the inside of his Mithra Gnis displays tons of pictures of Mikono, all of them varying in colors as they all form a big collage of Mikono's face.
- Later there's a more non-romantic example with Alicia. On Vega, when Amata enters his room, where also Kagura was staying, he finds a wall full of pictures of Alicia (Kagura didn't knew Alicia was his mother).
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Has golden eyes and he's Amata's Enemy Without and part of Apollo's reincarnation.
- Superpower Lottery: In a world where powers range from flying to filling holes, he can reverse ANYTHING. Think of the possibilities here.
- Tarot Motifs: Is associated with the Black Joker.
- Took a Level in Kindness: At the end, in a very Out of Character moment.
- The Unfavorite: When compared to his other half Amata. His parents never even stopped by to visit him before passing on. And even on her deathbed, Alicia never looked like she cared about him....
- Unwitting Pawn: His murderous obsession for Mikono makes him Mykage's perfect lapdog.
- Villainous Crush: On Mikono.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Zessica by the end of the series. He's got a rude nickname for her, but shows a surprising amount of care for her. In Sousei no Aquarion Love, he even tries to avenge her defeat at the hands of Apollo.
- Wild Child: At first, he looks like one, but is not, really. Is very implied that Mykage raised him and he never grew out alone in the wild as a kid, since most of the time Mykage kept him in a cage. Even more subverted since he shares Amata's memories of living in Vega until the moment Mykage separated them.
- Yandere: For Mikono. He does not react well towards anyone that stands between him and getting his "wench."It stinks. I want to kill that wench. I want to kill her, then take her in my arms... and crush her! My... Sylvie!
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: He has yellow eyes and he's a violent and ruthless Yandere.
Mooks from high up in space or puppet-controlling Radius Gnis, a machine suited for long-range combat which complements his natural ability to generate energy shields.
- Accidental Pervert: In Episode 10, he finally does what Andy has yet to — infiltrate the girls' changing room (although unintentionally on his part).
- Always with You: The Director's cut reveals that after dying his soul entered Yunoha's plushie, allowing him to be with her again.
- Birds of a Feather: With Yunoha.
- Blinding Bangs: His eyes are almost always covered by his hair. They switch to Peek-a-Bangs occasionally.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: He serves as Izumo's dragon and has at least three direct subordinates, despite being literally the youngest person on Altair.
- Defecting for Love: He switches sides out of love for Yunoha.
- Deflector Shields: His Element power, discovered purely by accident when he tried to shield Yunoha from Cayenne's stun gun accidentally firing on her (which was intended for him).
- Disney Death: Seemingly Killed Off for Real at the end of Episode 8, but Episode 9 reveals that he survived and has infiltrated Neo DEAVA in Episode 10. Averted in Episode 13.
- The Dragon: Thanks to Kagura being too much of a Wild Card.
- Evil Genius: Besides being a pilot, he also serves as mechanic for Mithra and Radius Gnis.
- Fanboy: Of Alicia/Sylvie.
- Fish out of Water: Even as he infiltrated Neo DEAVA in Episode 10, his unfamiliarity with females (besides a hologram of Alicia) really shows in his awkward interaction with the girls.
- Heel–Face Turn: In Episode 13. Unfortunately Mykage saw to it that he will have to pay for his defection with his life.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Zen claims the Radius Gnis can shoot an arrow through a coin a thousand villages away. Jin himself can accurately shoot targets from the moon and perform perfect trick shots using lasers and reflective orbs to attack an enemy from numerous angles at once.
- Last of His Kind: He is so far the last person born in Altair.
- Loners Are Freaks: This is how the female population of Neo DEAVA initially reacted to him because of his awkward, antisocial ways.
- Magic Tool: His device, which contains a hologram of Alicia.
- Marionette Master: Prefers controlling Abductor Mooks from high up in space. When he has to send out Radius Gnis, he either controls it from the comfort of his room (in Episode 7) or pilots it by himself (Episodes 4 and 8).
- The Mole: As of Episode 10, he poses as a New Transfer Student to Neo DEAVA (stealing the identity of one "Akbarjin Batbayar") in his own quest to find a Reaigler worthy of becoming Altair's "Eve."
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Like Kagura, he'd rather spend time listening to holographic recordings of Alicia than join Altair's abductions. But since he's the Last of His Kind, Altair has huge expectations of him.
- Redemption Equals Death: He switches sides and helps Neo DEAVA protect the academy and defeat Kagura, but is killed by Mykage as a punishment.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Kagura's red.
- Sacrificial Lion: He fits this to a tee. Word of God says that he was slated to die before the series even started. His death showed everyone that Mykage is not as harmless as he seems. People begin to leave the school fearing for their lives. His death also causes a massive Heroic B.S.O.D. to come upon all of the major characters.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Yunoha. It's actually subverted, since the Director's cut reveals his soul now inhabits Yunoha's plushie.
- This Cannot Be!: Ends his third loss to Aquarion baffled at how the latter managed to come back from a serious disadvantage, dodge all his remaining ammo, and knock his Radius Gnis out with an energized punch.
- Twice Shy: With Yunoha.
- Younger Than He Looks: He's actually only fourteen.
- Anti-Villain: He had good intentions from the start, but one wonders why his first actions was kidnapping people rather than, say, peacefully contacting Vega and asking for their help.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He turns out to be an extremely skilled Gnis pilot, to the point that even Kagura, after all his powerups, can barely match him in combat.
- Berserk Button: Just try to endanger Alicia, just try it.
- Catch and Return: His mech's primary ability is to absorb the attacks of others and return them twofold.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Wears darker clothing, sports the traditional evil goatee, and intimidating-looking, but otherwise Izumo is a reasonable enemy commander with noble intentions. This stands in stark contrast to Mykage, whose angelic appearance masks his selfish desires.
- Disappeared Dad: To Amata.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Chews out Mykage thrice — on Episode 8, for manipulating three of Jin's most loyal henchmen into becoming his pawns; on Episode 11, over allowing the crazed Kagura to go to Vega to get his "smelly wench"; and on Episode 14, over killing Jin and then holding a eulogy for him before the rest of Altair.
- Evil Counterpart: An Anti-Villainous variant, to Zen.
- Killed Off for Real: At the hands of a mind controlled Kagura in the anime. In the manga, however, Mykage kills him.
- Light Is Good: His Ahura Gnis has a light-themed design and is named after Ahura Mazda, Zoroastrian god of light.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Heavily implied — and ultimately confirmed — to be Amata's father.
- My Greatest Failure: Allowing Mykage to manipulate Altair and kill Jin for refusing to go along with his schemes.
- Not So Different: There was a time that he would have betrayed Altair for the woman he loves just like his son Kagura.
- Offing the Offspring: Attempted in episodes 23 and 24 of the anime. Though unlike Alicia he had no way of knowing that Kagura is his son. In the manga, however, Izumo and Kagura never had such a confrontation.
- Together in Death: With Alicia.
- Wave Motion Gun: His Altair Cannon attack that is powered by all of Altair itself through the Ianthe.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Tells Jin that their mission wasn't to invade Vega, but to find suitable females to repopulate their race whose female population largely died out due to a mysterious disease, rendering Altair virtually sterile.
- Alien Blood: His blood is blue.
- Alien Hair: He has feathers instead of hair.
- Astral Projection: One of his abilities.
- Big Bad: The most dangerous and villainous character.
- Combat Pragmatist: Perfectly willing to get his hands dirty when things don't go his way or the enemy brings out their most powerful weapon. As shown when he attacks the place where Alicia is at and kills her in order to distract Izumo to land Genesis Aquarion's Finishing Move.
- Dark Is Evil: He is Toma's hatred. Eventually he gains Ancient AQ which is dark in color.
- Enemy Without: He's the personification of Toma's hatred after he found out Apollo was not Apollonius.
- Evil Mentor: To Kagura.
- Expy: Of Touma from the previous series. Episode 13 implies that he is Touma — or at least, as Episode 23 reveals, the incarnation of his hatred.
- A God Am I: He'll become one if Altair and Vega become one.
- Hair Wings: He sprouts wings from his hair on occassions.
- Knight of Cerebus: His manipulation of Kagura's emotions and murder of Jin causes the series to take on a substantially darker tone.
- Light Is Not Good: Bears an angelic appearance, has white plume-like hair, speaks in a mellow tone... and has the heart of the Devil himself.
- Literal Split Personality: He is the shadow part of Toma as stated by Fudou that has been separated from Touma's pure love.
- Love Makes You Evil: Mykage is the "Shadow of Love." His actions are motivated not by mere hatred, but by insane, jealous love. He tortures Kagura and Amata because he loves them... to death.
- Mind Rape: Pulls one off to Kagura, turning him into a brainwashed, Mikono-obsessed maniac completely at his control.
- Refuge in Audacity: Killing Jin in Episode 13 and then holding a eulogy for him come next Episode, although this could be seen as his way to further sway the rest of Altair into becoming his Unwitting Pawns.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Remained in a crystalline stasis until he wakes up at the end of Episode 4.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Doomed to forever reside in Zen's body without any semblance of control over him. Of course this is mitigated to the point of Karma Houdini considering being with Apollonius for all eternity is what he always truly wanted. He even describes being inside Fudou as being warm as he cries inside him.
- Missing Mom: She is revealed to be Amata's mother, who abandoned him in order to go to Altair to help Izumo deal with the Curse of Eve.
- Together in Death: With Izumo.
Voiced by: Kiyono Yasuno (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)Mikono's pet "cat".
Sousei no Aquarion Love characters *SPOILERS*
Voiced by: Jun FukushimaA 15-year-old boy living in Showa-era Japan. He bares a strong resemblance to Jin.
- Love at First Sight: He falls for Yuno the moment he meets her.
- Reincarnation: Of Jin.
- Reincarnation Romance: With Yuno.
Voiced by: Yui OguraA 16-year-old girl living in Showa-era Japan. She bares a strong resemblance to Yunoha.
- Cute Bookworm: She has the Book of Holy Genesis, which she considers her only friend.
- Older Than She Looks: She's actually older than Shin, but she looks like a preteen girl.
- Reincarnation: Of Yunoha.
- Reincarnation Romance: with Shin.
- Shrinking Violet: Just as shy as Yunoha.
Voiced by: Takuma TerashimaThe protagonist of Genesis of Aquarion.As in the original series, he is the main pilot of Solar Aquarion.
- Let's You and Him Fight: He doesn't like Kagura's scent; the latter feels the same way. Both see this as a good reason to start an Aquarion showdown.
Voiced by: Yumi KakazuThe heroine of Genesis of Aquarion.
Voiced by: Sanae KobayashiOne of Apollo and Silvia's comrades from Genesis of Aquarion
- Unexpected Character: One would normally expect Sirius to complete the Genesis trio, but Love features Reika instead. This is the reason some think that, despite the promotional video advertising it as a crossover between both Aquarion TV series, these are actually the OVA versions of the characters, since there, Reika is the third pilot instead, since Sirius is dead there. Turns out it really is the TV version of the characters, though.
Voiced by: Unshou IshizukaThe Mentor from Genesis of Aquarion, he seems to have transcended time and appears in the Showa-era