"And lo, I am always with you, even to the end of the earth
Parting can be such sweet sorrow, but sometimes it must be done
. But what you can say is you're not truly leaving: you'll remain in spirit. This trope is no less powerful when the person is more than "leaving
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Superman (1978)
Jor-El: He will not be alone. He will never be alone. [snip] You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you, even in the face of our own deaths. [snip] You will carry me inside you all the days of your life.
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [To Luke Skywalker] The Force will be with you, always.
- The Lion King: 'He Lives in You'
- John Smith says this to Pocahontas in the Disney version when he is due to be executed.
- The Land Before Time, Little Foot's mother: "I'll always be with you, even when you can't see me." In one of the sequels, the sentiment is put into song, "Always There".
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - "I'll be right here."
- Alec's parting words to Alice in Swamp Thing.
- All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 has a nice little song based around this.
- The song by Puff Daddy, "I'll Be Missing You", a memoriam re-recording of The Police's "Every Breath You Take". What's interesting is they take the creepy stalker elements of the song and rewrite it to become this trope. Missing You is about your dead loved ones watching and waiting in heaven.
- The Phil Collins song "You'll Be In My Heart".
- Escape Club's "I'll Be There" is about a dead paramour watching his love from heaven after he's gone.
- "Sleeping With Ghosts" by Placebo - also known as "Soulmates Never Die".
- "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling:
I know now, just quite how
My life and love might still go on
In your heart, in your mind
I'll stay with you for all of time
- Kingdom Hearts: Kairi to Sora "Don't ever forget. Wherever you go, I'm always with you."
- May occur at the end of Persona 4. When the investigation team is sad over the protagonist leaving, one of the dialogue options is "I'll stay... in your hearts." If you choose this, it's immediately lampshaded by Kanji.
- SpongeBob SquarePants, "Fear of a Krabby Patty":
Giant Krabby Patty: Remember, SpongeBob, I will always be with you, right here. [points at SpongeBob's chest]
SpongeBob: In my heart?
Giant Krabby Patty: Actually, your arteries.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender : Yue to Sokka at the end of Season One.
- The Legend of Korra: Raava, to Wan, the First Avatar. It's kind of an odd example, because Wan dies, but Raava moves on to the next Avatar, so Wan lives on through reincarnation.
- Parodied in the Gravity Falls episode "Irrational Treasure":
Children, I am needed elsewhere
. Just know that I'll always be right here... (points at Dipper's heart, and unfolds his hand to reveal a bill
) ...On the negative 12-dollar bill.
Dipper: Wow, this is worthless!
'Trembley: It's less than worthless, dear boy!