"Even if we've been kicked out of Eden, we have to try to survive! We have to believe the future is what we make of it!"
Voiced by: Ai Kobayashi
(JP films), Maaya Sakamoto
series), Yuka Komatsu (JP Alpha
), Jessica Straus (Geneon Entertainment dub), Luci Christian
(Sentai Filmworks dub & all appearances thereafter)
The fiery one
of the main duo, she is the best at what she does
- Action Girl and The Chick: Zigzagged. While Deunan is not defined by victimhood but by agency and competence, owns extensive combat knowledge and is perfectly capable of taking decisions on her own she still needs Briareos from time to time to reassure her and may sometimes throw a hissy fit if things get too out of hand, especially at the beginning of the series.
- Cowboy Cop: Especially in Ex Machina, when she starts an assault on a hostage situation before her commander gives the go order.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: In XIII (sometime, when she's mad at her boyfriend, sometime for fun with her boyfriend).
- Harmful to Minors: It's revealed in XIII, that Deunan's mother was murdered by a sniper right before her eyes (her mother was African, ran afoul of Apartheidesque legislation when crossing a road reserved for whites and was shot by an sniper).
- Lethal Chef: She's a pretty terrible cook in the manga. Briareos briefly ribs her about this in Alpha.
- Robosexual:Technically, he isn't a robot, but a cyborg (e.g. his legs are biological, so we can make an educated guess, that his ... "entertainment and production facility" wasn't replaced with electronic prostheses).
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Defied. Briareos tells her time and again that she shouldn't depend on him but rather become strong enough to stand on her own without him.
"It has its own heartbeat... Just like I do."
who is not only the mentor of his partner, but also her lover
- Cold Sniper: His weapon of choice in Alpha is a heavy anti-materiel sniper rifle, and he's pretty brusque and harsh towards everyone. Unless you're Deunan.
- Coup de Grāce: In the 2004 film, finishes off one of the fembot assassins with a pistol shot to the head after it has taken a disabling hit from his assault rifle. In Alpha, he mercilessly crushes Nyx's head, her one remaining organic part after blowing apart the body in half with his gun.
- Declaration of Protection: Although sometime, it's too much for Deunan and she thinks he's nannying and coddling her.
- In a Single Bound: He can leap some pretty outrageously huge distances.
- Meaningful Name: In Greek mythology, Briareos was the leader of the three Hecatonchires, the hundred-armed giants who helped the gods overthrow the Titans and cement their rule of the world from Mount Olympus. In this version, Briareos is a full-body cyborg in an enormous experimental Hecatonchires-class chassis that has no upper limits on the size and number of weapons it can operate at once other than what he can physically carry, and works to protect the city-state of Olympus on behalf of Athena and her bioroid council.
- Mentor Archetype
- Scary Black Man: Averted. Though Briareos was in fact North African before his surgery, he wasn't especially menacing. Apparently he WAS that big however.
- Super Strength: In the second movie, after his cyborgization, he destroyed one of the assassin-droids by punching through her, ripping her in half. In Alpha, when he's back to full strength, he can easily flip over an overturned Hummvee with no effort at all.
- Supporting Protagonist: At least in XIII, while he's nominally the main character along with Deunan, he mostly plays second fiddle to her.
- Worf Had the Flu: In the beginning of Alpha, his systems are glitched and draining his internal power at a wasteful rate, which forces him to operate with reduced strength and diminished awareness.