TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
What's He Got That I Ain't Got?!
When one character is jealous of another one, they use the Stock Phrase
"What's he got that I ain't got?" It's meant as a rhetorical question, but the Deadpan Snarker
or another character will usually answer them anyway
, almost always insultingly.
See also What Does She See in Him?
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In episode 5 of FLCL, Haruko titillates Amurao into giving her a weapon she can use against the Monster of the Week. Unlike Naota, all he can manage to summon up with his N.O. is a tiny little slingshot. When Haruko heads off into battle, leaving Amurao behind, he's reduced to screaming the trope title at her as she departs.
- In Digimon, this is the last thing Puppetmon (AKA Pinocchimon) says before his demise. He spent much of his time tormenting the Digi-Destined out of envy beforehand, due to Cherrymon telling him they have something he lacks. Cherrymon explains postmortem that what they have are friends.
- In Rock-A-Doodle, a jealous Goldie Pheasant makes this comment while complaining about how "The King" has become a star and she's still stuck in the chorus. Her boss, Pinky, doesn't miss a beat: "A voice!"
Film (Live Action)
- Manhattan Murder Mystery
: I mean, take away his fake tan, his capped teeth and his Cuban heels and what have you got? Carol
- Don's Party:
Mal: I want a bit of sausage. What's he got that I haven't got?
Susan: Sex appeal.
- Dirty Dancing:
Neil Kellerman: Last week, I took a girl from Jamie, the lifeguard. And he said to her, right in front of me, "What does he have that I don't have?" And she said, "Two hotels."
- The Money Pit
Walter: I mean, Max is rich, successful, handsome and talented, after all. What's he have that I don't?
- Holy Matrimony. Ezekiel has just caught Havana cheating on him.
Ezekiel: What does he have that I don't?
Havana: Nothing! About twenty hard years. Strong arms. Kisses great. It was the usual bar pickup stuff.
Ezekiel: What about the real husband stuff? What about that?
Havana: What is that?
Ezekiel: Can you trust him? Does he pray? Is he kind to plants and animals? Is his heart golden? Isn't this what a real husband supposed to be?
Havana: I think I'm gonna be sick.
- From "If I Were King of the Forest" in the film of The Wizard of Oz:
: What makes the hottentot so hot?
What puts the "ape" in apricot
Whadda they got that I ain't got? All
: Courage. Cowardly Lion
: You can say that again! Beat Huh?
- In the rather obscure 1956 French film Plucking the Daisy (En effeuillant la marguerite) Agnes Dumont (Brigitte Bardot) needs to come up with money in a hurry and decides to enter a striptease contest, with a mask on her face and using the pseudonym Sophia. His boyfriend is becomes interested in the mysterious Sophia. At one point, Agnes exclaims: "What does she have that I don't?"
- The Brady Bunch Movie:
: [after being tossed out by a modeling agency] Why does everyone always choose Marcia?!
What does she have that I don't?!
Live Action TV
- How I Met Your Mother episode "Purple Giraffe":
Barney: What does Carlos have that I don't?
Robin: A date tonight?
- The Avengers episode "The Cybernauts":
Emma Peel: I must say, I can't wait to meet Oyama, "The Tall Mountain".
John Steed: What's he got that I haven't got?
Emma Peel: A hobby.
John Steed: Archeology, philately, knitting?
Emma Peel: Splitting doors.
- Two and a Half Men episode "Is There a Mrs. Waffles?"
Charlie Harper: How does he do it? What does he have that I don't?
Alan Harper: Well, judging from first impressions, a genuine love of children and bladder control.
Charlie Harper: That was a cheap shot.
Alan Harper: I take them when I can.
- That '70s Show:
Michael Kelso: What does he have that I don't? I mean, I have the three things women want: I'm hot and I'm smart.
Donna Pinciotti: That's two things, you moron.
Michael Kelso: Nuh-uh, hot counts twice.
Cliff: What's he got that I ain't got?
Carla: Would you like that list alphabetically, or in order of importance?
- When Ann leaves Andy for Mark on Parks and Recreation, Andy asks her this. She is somewhat aghast that he doesn't realize how self-evident the answer is, what with Mark being city planner and Andy being homeless and jobless. This ultimately causes Andy to get his regular job as a shoeshiner in the hopes of impressing Ann.
- In The X-Files episode "Hollywood A.D.", Mulder and Scully attend the premiere of a film very loosely based on one of their cases. The movie versions of Mulder and Scully have sexual tension ("Is that your flashlight, Mulder, or are you just happy to be lying on top of me?"), but in the end, movie Scully hooks up with Assistant Director Skinner. When movie Mulder protests ("What's he got that I don't?"), she replies, "Bigger flashlight."
- Mash episode "Margaret's Engagement":
Frank: What's he got that I haven't got?
Frank: Lips aren't everything!
- "What's He Got" by The Producersnote .
- The Fairly OddParents: You mean besides the clothes, the hair, the money, and the stuff?
- Popeye. A question often posed by Brutus about Popeye.
Dot: I'd be a great model. What's Christie Brinkley got that I don't?
Yakko & Wacko: Billy Joel.
- Looney Tunes:
- "Daffy Duck In Hollywood"
- "Daffy Dilly":
: (breaking from interrogating a butler like a detective) What's Humphrey Bogart
got that I ain't got?
- Jimmy Two-Shoes
Beezy: What's Jimmy Two-Shoes got that I don't?
Heloise: A brain?
- Hey Arnold!"
Helga: What's she Ruth MacDougal got that I haven't got?
Phoebe: Let me check my list: Long slender legs. A dazzling smile. Shiny chestnut hair.
- From the Johnny Test Beach Episode: After Susan and Mary's crush Gil's attention is stolen by a hot blonde in a swimsuit, this conversation takes place:
Susan: What does she have that we don't?
Johnny: A gorgeous face, a perfect tan, strong white teeth...
Mary: Hey, we have... strong white teeth.
- An episode of the Archie cartoon has Betty and Veronica rewarding Archie for winning a foot race against Reggie with kisses. Hot Dog licks Jughead's face, repulsing him:
Hot Dog: (thought) What's Veronica got that I haven't got? Hmph. Must be her tutti-fruity lipstick.
- Done hilariously in Static Shock while the titular hero is musing over another kids popularity (hilarious considering that the person asking has superpowers)
Virgil: What does Derek Barnet got that I don't have?
Richie: Let's make a list: Looks, height, all-state in track and field. Shall I quit while you're behind?
Virgil: (Not amused) I thought we were tight, Rich.