The LEGO Movie Videogame is a LEGO Adaptation Game based on The LEGO Movie made to tie in with the release of the film.
The LEGO Movie Videogame contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: In the level "Bricksburg Under Attack", Superman refers to Emmet as Eric multiple times.
- Action Prologue: The game's tutorial level involves Young Vitruvius, Shakespeare, and Cleopatra defending the Kragle from Lord Business and his army of Robo Feds.
- Adaptation Expansion: The game expands on several scenes from the movie, such as Vitruvius defending the Kragle from Lord Business, the team stopping the submarine from leaking, and Emmet returning to Bricksburg from the real world.
- Adaptation Name Change: The TAKOS is simply referred to as the Kragleiser due to the scene explaining what the former acronym stands fornote being omitted.
- Adaptational Badass:
- For gameplay reasons, Emmet is more combat-capable than his movie counterpart and can fight just as well as the other characters. He also has the ability to fix machinery and use sockets with his wrench, destroy cracked panels with his pneumatic drill, and use Instruction Builds, so he's not a completely useless character.
- Green Lantern is also more of a useful character here than in the movie, as he has the ability to fly, shoot projectiles, and build with transparent green bricks.
- Adapted Out:
- Several scenes from the movie are cut from the story mode to prevent them from being spoiled including Bad Cop's parents getting Kragled, Vitruvius entering Emmet's mind (but the blue field is accessible as the Bonus Room), Batman stealing the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive, Vitruvius revealing the truth about the prophecy, the reveal of The Man Upstairs, and the Sequel Hook with the DUPLO Aliens invading Bricksburg.
- Also gone are several of the licensed characters that make appearances in the film itself, such as Milhouse, Michelangelo and Dumbledore. Averted with Gandalf and the DC Comics characters.
- Breath Weapon: Mega Kitty, Unikitty's angry form that's playable in the level "The Final Showdown" and The Bonus Room after collecting all Golden Construction Pages in the level "Escape From Cloud Cuckoo Land", can breathe a fire beam from her mouth, which is used to destroy the Final Boss's gold paneling.
- Brick Joke: In the level "Cloud Cuckoo Land", one puzzle involves getting two friendly robots together so they can used for platforming. They can be seen later in "Escape From Cloud Cuckoo Land" trying to escape on a flying heart together until it gets destroyed by a missile and they both go down with it.
- Censor Suds: Emmet's shower variant produces bubble-like particle effects that follow him wherever he goes.
- Disability Superpower: Vitruvius has the Blind Courage ability, which allows him to access areas other characters are too scared to go to because he's blind and oblivious to the danger.
- Elephants Are Scared of Mice: One puzzle in the level "Cloud Cuckoo Land" requires building a mouse car to scare an elephant head to reach an instruction page.
Emmet: Wow. I never knew cartoons were educational.
- Final Boss: The final level "The Final Showdown" has Emmet's Construct-o-Mech and Mega Kitty fight Lord Business's Mega Micro Manager to make the final push towards the Kragleiser.
- Hacking Minigame: Benny has the ability to hack into terminals with his colors, which involves navigating through Pac-Man-esque mazes while evading robot avatars and uploading viruses to red nodes.
- Hulking Out: Unikitty can temporarily turn into her angry form on command and extend her rage by chaining attacks together.
- Locomotive Level: The level "Escape From Flatbush" involves navigating on the trains of the Old West to try and escape from Bad Cop.
- MacGyvering: Master Builders can use green circles to select 3 groups of pieces and throw them into a green whirlwind to reassemble them into something else. However, the pieces need to be within range of the circle in order to be selected.
- Mistaken For Crazy: In the level "Back From Reality", when Emmet tells Justin Furneaux about his experience in the real world, Justin thinks he escaped from a mental asylum.
- Oxygen Meter: The swimming portion of the level "The Depths" replaces the characters' health with air, which is both represented by and replenished with blue hearts.
- Percussive Maintenance: One of the animations when a character, e.g. Emmet, uses a wrench to fix something is hitting it with the wrench.
- Pre-Rendered Cutscene: The game uses FMVs straight from the movie for its cutscenes.
- Rhythm Game: There are two levels that have minigames where you dance to "Everything is Awesome"; "Bricksburg Construction", where you must convince several construction workers to get back to work, and "Put the Thing on the Thing", where you must distract the Robo Workers to get closer to the Kragleiser.
- Secret Level: After completing the game's story, the fifth and final hub area, The Bonus Room, is unlocked. The entire area seems to be Finn's bedroom, where more Gold Bricks can be collected and models from complete sets of Golden Instruction Pages can be built.
- Shout-Out: A fedora, a revolver, and a whip can be seen together on two tables in a bonus area of "Flatbush Rooftops".
- Showdown at High Noon: One of the Red Bricks in the Old West hub requires triggering a showdown between two cowboys, in which both of them completely miss their targets.
- Skewed Priorities: In the level "Escape From Cloud Cuckoo Land", Vitruvius runs out of bricks before he can build walk-in closets in his section of the submarine and asks for more.
- Slide Level: In the level "Flatbush Gulch", there's a section titled "Rocks And Rolls" where Emmet and Wyldstyle slide down a cliffside upon entering the Old West. There's also brief sliding sections in a section of the level "Bricksburg Construction" titled "The Long Way Down" where Emmet falls down the hole where he finds the Piece of Resistance.
- Stealth-Based Mission: In a section of the level "Put the Thing on the Thing" titled "The Kragleiser", Emmet and Batman must make their way to the other sides of the walkway by jumping over red panels while tiptoeing past audio sensors.
- Under the Sea: The level "The Depths" involves Vitruvius and Benny trying to stop the submarine from leaking and, when their plans go wrong, swimming through an underwater cavern to get to the other side of the submarine where the rest of the team is.
- Worrying for the Wrong Reason: In the level "Escape From Flatbush", Vitruvius warns Emmet and Wyldstyle that they should hop on another train quickly:
Vitruvius: Hurry up! They haven't finished building the track this train is on!
Emmet: It's going to derail?!
Emmet: Oh, phew!
Vitruvius: It's going to fall off a cliff!