Lasting is a freeware Survival Horror game for PC with pixelated graphics, in which you as the player hunt down disks in a mysterious labyrinth, evading the sinister force that is down there with you.
This game provides examples of:
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: This is a 3D game that weighs a mere 7 MB. This was made possible through both the extremely low texture resolution, and through having very few textures and objects in the first place. All the doors are the same; there's only one wall texture (though sometimes walls are half-covered with white ceramic tiles); only two floor textures, etc.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The entire game is in grayscale.
- Endless Game: There is no end to the game, players are tasked with collecting the disks and avoiding the sinister force only, and the game only ends when one is caught.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: You're trying to stay alive as long as you can. You're Lasting.
- Featureless Protagonist: There is never a chance to see what the player character looks like, since it's a first person game with pretty much no reflective surfaces, and they never vocalize anything either.
- First-Person Ghost: You never see any part of the protagonist's body, whether through looking down or when opening doors/picking up the floppy disks. You are very much a floating camera here.
- Fetch Quest: Collecting the floppy disks that are occasionally scattered on the floors.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: One is heard when the player sports the shadowy figure that acts as their pursuer for the first time.
- Jump Scare: A Possible flash of lightning in a window along with other minor instances.
- No Plot? No Problem!: The one horror game with literally zero context to all of the events. You are immediately thrown into the game without any intro text or cutscenes, and no actual narrative will be introduced since then.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Pretty much the point of the game; the only things you will see are boxes, doors, halls, windows, and disks. Until you find out you're being hunted, of course.