On the Halloween of 1996, five students; Chad, Nick, Amber, Troy and Sam wake up in a nightmarish reflection of their high school known as The Nightmare. As they make their way through the school, they find themselves being pursued by a horrifying supernatural force, able to set deadly traps all over the school and manifest itself in the form of three different serial killers out for their blood.
Though the player playing as the Killer is outnumbered five to one, their biggest advantage comes in the form of Predator Mode, which allows them to move through the school unseen, keep tabs on the students' locations, set traps to split up and disorient the group, and choose a killer to spawn as to move in for the kill. With the Killer able to spawn in anywhere from smashing in through a nearby wall to crashing in from the ceiling through a skylight, nowhere in East Side High is safe. However, the Students aren't completely defenseless - they're able to arm themselves with a wide array of improvised weapons, from lead pipes to jury-rigged flamethrowers and thermos grenades. If the students want any hope of escaping the Nightmare alive, they'll have to complete objectives, use the unique talents offered by their roles to their advantage, and stick together.
You can visit the website for Last Year here.
The game was funded on Kickstarter on December 7th, 2014, and released on December 18th, 2018.
Last Year: The Nightmare provides examples of the following tropes:
- Asymmetric Multiplayer: Five players play the Survivors, while the sixth plays the Killer.
- An Ax To Grind: The Slasher's preferred method of killing.
- Blinding Camera Flash: Scouts on the Student team can briefly blind the killer using the flashes on their scanners.
- Barrier-Busting Blow: The Giant has the option to spawn in by smashing through a wall, instantly killing any Survivor unlucky enough to be caught nearby.
- Bloodless Carnage: Downplayed. Though the game is still pretty bloody and the killings are very graphic, characters can never be dismembered, even when killed by explosives.
- The Brute: The Giant, a towering hulk able to smash through walls and snap spines with his bare hands.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: The Nightmare is full of creepy messages scrawled in blood.
- Death from Above: The Slasher can ambush the kids by dropping in from the skylights, planting his axe blade in their faces for an insta-kill.
- Eye Scream: The Strangler's executions usually involve a pair of scissors and his target's eyes.
- Friend to All Living Things: Sam owns a pet rabbit and is friendly to all the rats skittering around the Nightmare.
- Genre Savvy: Troy's seen the most horror movies out of the five, making him the strategist of the group.
- I Let You Win: Before the escape sequence starts, a common strategy for the Killer is to make a suicidal charge against the Students to get killed and switch to another killer more suitable for defending the gate.
- Improvised Weapon: Most of the students' basic weapons, such as baseball bats, hockey sticks, and metal pipes are these.
- Also applies to the Strangler, as he uses a pair of rusty scissors.
- Jump Scare: All of the ambushes are this: whether the Slasher's jumping in through a skylight, the Strangler's pulling you into a vent, or the Giant's smashing through a wall, you won't receive any warning and you will die instantly.
- Kill It with Fire: Some weapons the students can use include flamethrowers and Molotov cocktails.
- The Little Detecto: The scanners given to the Scout class, which can detect whenever the killer's nearby, even in Predator Mode.
- Mighty Glacier: The Giant, who has the most health out of all the killers by far, but also moves the slowest. He can charge at the Survivors, though.
- Sentry Gun: Technicians can build these out of nail guns, tripods and cameras. They'll shoot at the Killer whenever he's within range. However, for some reason, they'll also shoot at each other.
- Trap Master: The Killer can place bear traps, rig trapdoors, and plant poison gas around the school to disorient the kids and set up for an ambush.
- Two Girls to a Team: Amber and Sam are the only two female students in the unique group of five survivors.
- Would Hurt a Child: Downplayed, since the survivors are all presumably in their mid- to late teens, but the killers (and by extension, the force that trapped them there) are more than willing to murder them in various, often brutal, ways.
- You Will Not Evade Me: One of The Strangler's special abilities is a chain that they can drag survivors away with.