United States airdate: June 1, 2002
Canada airdate: November 15, 2002
After receiving Squidward's issue of Fancy Living Digest, SpongeBob and Patrick decide to live the fancy life. Deciding to become entrepreneurs themselves, the two become door-to-door chocolate bar salesmen. However, SpongeBob and Patrick soon learn that selling chocolate bars in Bikini Bottom isn't as easy as it looks.
Chocolate with Nuts contains examples of:
- Door-to-Door Episode: SpongeBob and Patrick visit a lot of strange people while trying to sell chocolate bars.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Patrick's observation about the false advertising for Barnacle Chips is what gives SpongeBob the idea to use the same ploy to sell their chocolate.
- Formerly Fat: "Me at 13"
- Immortality Seeker: The elderly fish's mother decides to buy a chocolate bar after Patrick tells her that it'll make her live forever, much to her daughter's disappointment.
- Irony: The con man that deceives SpongeBob and Patrick into buying candy bar carrying bags and selling more chocolate so he can steal their money is the only person they didn't sell any chocolate to.
- Jump Scare: SpongeBob pops up from Squidward's mailbox unintentionally scaring off the mailman.
- Karma Houdini: The con artist who swindles SpongeBob and Patrick throughout the episode manages to escape with their money. Though considering he ended up giving them more product to sell to Tom at the end, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise after all.
- Large Ham: Tom goes absolutely nuts (no pun intended) when chocolate's involved.CHOCOLATE!!! CHOCOLATE!!!
- Mood Whiplash: When Tom catches up to SpongeBob and Patrick after they fail to sell most of their chocolate, he yells at them how he's been trying to catch them all day, before suddenly calming down and asking to buy their entire chocolate supply.
- Naked People Are Funny: While trying to think up of new ways to sell their chocolate bars:Patrick: I got it! Let's get naked!
SpongeBob: No, let's save that for when we get into real estate.
- Noodle Incident: After SpongeBob claims that Barnacle Chips are "most certainly not delicious", Patrick happily chimes in "Not the way I use them!". We never do learn how Patrick uses Barnacle Chips.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: It turns out the customer that went crazy over SpongeBob and Patrick's chocolate wanted to buy all their chocolate.
- On a side note, even though SpongeBob and Patrick made loads of money by "stretching the truth", the con man tricked them into selling more chocolate for them whilst taking all the money they earned in return.
- Smug Snake: The con artist.
- Status Quo Is God: While Spongebob and Patrick do get to keep their large sum of money from Tom, they end up spending the entire thing booking an expensive restaraunt for a private date with the two elderly ladies they had sold chocolate to...on Squidward's only night to be fancy no less.
- Very False Advertising: Spongebob and Patrick confuse this with "slightly stretching the truth", and start telling customers that their chocolate brings things like immortality, intelligence, beauty, love, the ability to fly, and even world domination.
Tired of everybody treating him like a child, Barnacle Boy quits his sidekick job and becomes a supervillain. After joining up with Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble to form the evil alliance known as E.V.I.L, the newly christened Barnacle Man helps in spreading chaos throughout Bikini Bottom. Realizing he's outmatched, Mermaid Man recruits SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward to help and turns them into superheroes.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V contains examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Barnacle Man, realising that he is unable to finish the adult-sized Krabby Patty, decides to join in on the laughter.
- An Aesop: Your kid will grow up, so treat them like the adult they are.
- Brick Joke: At the beginning, Mermaid Man tells Barnacle Boy not to get an adult-sized Krabby Patty because it's too big and he'll never finish it. Later, when he finally gets his adult-sized Krabby Patty, Barnacle Boy admits that it is pretty big and he doesn't think he can finish the whole thing. The even laughs about it with Mermaid Man.
- Clothes Make the Superman: This is apparently how superpowers are gained in the SpongeBob universe.Mermaid Man: Once you put on these costumes, their amazing powers will become yours!
Sandy: Wow. I didn't think superpowers worked that way.
Mermaid Man: Sure! Power's all in the costume. Why else would we run around in colored undies?
Squidward: I can think of three good reasons.
- Comically Small Demand: After E.V.I.L. wins their fight with the I.J.L.S.A., Barnacle Boy's able to force Mermaid Man to agree to his demands: to be treated as a superhero in his own right rather than a sidekick, to be called Barnacle Man, and to be allowed to eat adult-sized Krabby Patties. Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble are clearly disappointed, since they wanted World Domination (and in the Dirty Bubble's case, to make Mermaid Man eat dirt).
- Disney Owns This Trope: "The International Justice League of Super Acquaintances! A subsidiary of Viacom."
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Barnacle Boy is old enough to have hair growing out of the wrinkles on his liver spots, but Mermaid Man continues to treat him like his "young ward" by talking down to him and ordering him food off the children's menu. Everyone at the Krusty Krab starts picking on him for it, which drives him to villainy.
- Epic Fail: The I.J.L.S.A.'s demise would make Finagle proud.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Taken Up to Eleven when virtually every single character who's had a speaking role in the episode shows up at the end to share in a hearty laugh. Doubles as Overly Long Gag.
- FaceHeel Turn: Barnacle Boy becomes evil in order to gain more respect. Thankfully, he drops it the second he gets what he wants, which admittedly wasn't much.
- Flight: Captain Magma can fly using his magma helmet as a rocket.
- For Want of a Nail: Barnacle Boy becomes a supervillain, terrorizes the citizens of Bikini Bottom and takes on his own crime-fighting partner because he wanted an adult-sized Krabby Patty.
- Fun with Acronyms: A rather nonsensical one with E.V.I.L, which stands for Every Villain Is Lemons.
- Invisibility: Miss Appear (Sandy) can turn invisible at will.
- K-I-S-S-I-N-G in a Tree: Barnacle Boy, Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble use this rhyme when torturing a couple at Make Out Reef.John and Nancy sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The International Justice League of Super Acquaintances are a subsidiary of Viacom. Viacom is, of course, the parent company of Nickelodeon.
- Magma Man: Captain Magma (Squidward) is a who can fly using his magma helmet as a rocket.
- Make-Out Point: Or rather, Make Out Reef as it's known in Bikini Bottom.
- Manly Tears: "Need a hand... super pal?"
- Medium Blending: The Chief, a live-action human broadcasted on a cartoon video-phone.
- Not So Above It All: At first Squidward only joins the new I.J.L.S.A. because Mr. Krabs threatened to fire him if he didn't. However, he quickly seems to enjoy being Captain Magma.
- Overly Long Gag: The Everybody Laughs Ending where everybody laughs!
- Poke the Poodle: E.V.I.L's crimes include a bunch of juvenile pranks, such as ding-dong ditches and making fun of teenagers at Make Out Reef.
- Rubber Man The Elastic Waistband (Patrick).
- Rule of Three: Barnacle Boy has three demands: Be treated like a superhero, be called Barnacle "Man", and an adult-sized Krabby Patty.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Sandy gets hit by a car and is thrown off a cliff thanks to her invisibility.
- Super Speed: The Quickster (Spongebob).
- This Is Gonna Suck: Initially played with for E.V.I.L. when the I.J.L.S.A. have the number advantages 5 to 3, then subsequently gradually averted.Barnacle Man: (groans) There goes our toy deal...
- Unexplained Recovery: The Dirty Bubble is perfectly fine after being popped by SpongeBob in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II" and Man Ray apparently has the ability to enact evil deeds without feeling a tickling sensation which he received in Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III.
- Visual Pun: "I'm crossing over to the dark side!"note
- Wins by Doing Absolutely Nothing: E.V.I.L's victory is largely due to I.J.L.S.A's incompetence; Captain Magma accidentally struck The Quickster, who went on to melt to just shoes with the former turning to ashes due to Mermaid Man's poor accuracy, The Elastic Waistband's arms turned into spaghetti and Miss Appear got hit by a car and fell off a cliff. Mermaid Man, meanwhile, just falls over.