The Holy Knights
The Sun Knight
Hair color: Gold
Eye color: Sky blue
Widely regarded as the benevolent spokesperson of the God of Light, the man closest to perfection alive. Aside from being the leader of the Twelve Holy Knights, the good, warm-hearted faction, and the Holy Temple itself, the 38th generation Sun Knight is also possibly one of the biggest frauds in the history of the continent.The reason is obviously because there is a scandalously big chasm between his appearance and his true personality.
Everyone knows that the Sun Knight is a benevolent, forgiving man who is pure of mind, doesnt drink, doesnt swear, does everything gracefully, and smiles all the time; his best friend is the Earth Knight, his sworn enemy is the Judgment Knight, and apples are his favorite fruits.
Scratch away that veneer, however, and you will find a man with a head full of lecherous thoughts, a cellar full of wine, and a lot of swear words in his vocabulary. His real best friend is the Judgment Knight, the person he detests the most is the Earth Knight, and he hates apples with a passion thats almost holy.
Aside from the lapse in personality, there are also other ways in which Sun is not very knightly. For instance, to say that Suns skill with a sword is not that good would be quite a major understatement, since he is downright lousy at it. He is extremely proficient at wielding holy magic, however. His weapon (of choice not) is the Divine Sun Sword.
Sun loves to eat extremely sweet stuff.
- The Alcoholic: The Sun Knight always faints after three cups of wine. Therefore, in order to properly maintain this image, all Sun Knights have been strong alcoholics who can handle any amount of drink. Yes, it makes sense.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Not that most people would think of the Sun Knight as a moron initially, but after getting to know him a little, he gets dismissed as a shallow, lazy pretty boy. Which he is, right up until you get him angry.
- Bad Boss: Played for laughs. Sun once threw his vice captain down a cliff and dropped a bolder on him a hundred times. He also makes his squad run laps around the city, dispenses punishments for minor slights and gives orders that he promptly forgets about.
- Beneath the Mask
- Berserk Button: Everyone knows that the Sun Knight hates the undead. Grisia, on the other hand, merely uses them to work out his frustration. His real button is harming his friends. If it's any consolation, he probably won't kill you.
- Bishōnen: Notable in that he manages to out-pretty an entire Cast Full of Pretty Boys. But then, he works for it.
- Black Mage: He happens to a powerful wizard able to use any of the elements without incantations. Somewhat hampered by the fact that he's not supposed to be able to do so.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Is a powerful mage and expert manipulator but would rather be sitting around eating sweets.
- Celibate Hero: Forced to be one to his chagrin.
- The Chessmaster: leaning toward Manipulative Bastard, at times. For bonus points, he even plays chess at one point while plotting his next move.
- First-Person Smartass: Heh.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Loops back around itself in strange ways. His public image fits this perfectly, but his lazy private self does not at all, at least until you figure out that he actually does have something of a heart of gold. He cares deeply for his teammates and actually does want to do the right thing, it's just the heart of gold is hidden under the sour armor.
- Handicapped Badass: Loses his sight after resurrecting Leaf, but compensates with his Elemental Perception
- The Heart: Yes really. Has comforted and inspired Judgement, Ice and Roland and provides the unofficial motto for the Twelve Holy Knights (The Twelve Holy Knights will never abandon the Twelve Holy Knights!). There's a reason why despite his Jerkass personality, he's a Magnetic Hero
- Hidden Depths: ohh, boy.
- Healing Hands: Holy Magic.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: The real reason why Neo choose Grisia to be the next Sun Knight.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Surprisingly. Beneath his arrogant and carefree demeanor, Grisia is afraid of being an unworthy Sun Knight as he lacks the personality and swordsmanship a true Sun Knight needs. He truly believes that he was only chosen due to his looks.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Zigzagged. Grisia is publically seen as the paragon of virtue, the sun knight of the god of light. Under that he is really a conniving schemer and a cunning mannipulator who can hardly use a sword, ride a horse and has the greatest magical ability in the history of the twelve knights.
- Despite that, he always stands up for the downtrodden, cannot stand to see anyone die from his schemes and always acts for the greater good.
- Legacy Character: As the 38th Sun Knight, Grisia falls under this.
- Lethal Joke Character: His sword skills are so woefully terrible that he almost behead himself and everyone sees him as this. Lucky thing that he has all that magical muscle to inflict on people when nobody is looking.
- Necromancer: yes, despite being the Sun Knight. It's probably best not to ask...
- The Nicknamer: Provider of all nicknames below.
- Perpetual Smiler and Stepford Smiler: ~The Sun Knight always has a smile on his face and in his heart~
- Purple Prose: How he's required to speak. This is why he likes the Frost Knight, since he doesn't have to talk to him much.
- The Red Mage: Essentially. Grisia can cast all types of magic and is The Archmage in all but name.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Creus or Grisia?
- Sweet Tooth: His Trademark Favorite Food being blueberries.
- Two-Faced: It's jarring to see how he appears to the world and what he's really like beneath the disguise.
- White Mage: He is so powerful with holy magic that people tend to refer to him as the cleric. He was excellent even as a child and slated to join the Church (and likely would have been the next Pope).
The Storm Knight
Hair color: Blue (dyed)
Eye color: Green
Widely regarded as a carefree, footloose charmer, the knight-representative of freedom. One of the members of the good, warm-hearted faction, the Storm Knight is, unfortunately enough for him, one of Suns subordinates. He may be the knight-representative of freedom and hence able to skip meetings on a regular basis, but for that very reason, most of the work especially Suns usually gets pushed onto him.
Also, despite the Storm Knights reputation as a flirt, this particular Storm Knight seems to still be a virgin
- Cannot Talk to Women: As a child. Cannot Even Look At Women, more like.
- The Casanova: What he's supposed to be.
- Dye Hard: In-universe. It's not known if the original Storm Knight had naturally blue hair or if he dyed it, but nevertheless, every Storm Knight since has had to dye their hair to match the image. It's mentioned that most Storm Knights die from complications caused by the overuse of hair dye.
- In-Series Nickname: Deatheo. The name's a pun on the Chinese characters of his name.
- Workaholic: Ironically, as a result of his image. He still needs to hand in his paperwork on time despite skipping all those meetings.
The Earth Knight
Hair color: Brown
Eye color: Hazel
Widely regarded as the yearly winner of The Man Women Want Most as Their Husband poll.He may be a member of the good, warm-hearted faction, but if the Sun Knight is the #1 fraud in the history of the continent, then the Earth Knight would most definitely be #2.On the surface, the Earth Knight is Suns loyal, honest, and level-headed best friend. He is sincere and easily tongue-tied, especially when talking to girls. This, of course, accounts for his popularity among the ladies, and he has been ranked #1 on The Man Women Want Most as Their Husband poll for several years running.
In truth, however, the Earth Knight is quite the lascivious villain. His number of romantic conquests could have been higher, however, but for the constant interference of a certain best friend, which is probably the reason why he loathes Sun deeply.
The Earth Knight specializes in defense, and his ultimate skill is The Shield of Earth.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Despite he and Sun not getting along, when Judgement dies and Sun sacrifices his hair color to save him, Earth gives Sun an epic What the Hell, Hero? and tells him that he doesn't need to do everything alone.
- Barrier Warrior: Look above.
- The Casanova: His real personality. He and Storm should switch places.
- In-Series Nickname: Unless you consider Sun calling him bastard, he surprisingly has none. Ceo (aka Storm) thinks Sun didn't give him one because Earth doesn't help him out in 'favours'.
- Two-Faced: As bad as Sun.
- Jerkass: His real personality. Sun believes he's wasting a lot of talent pretending to be a Nice Guy.
The Leaf Knight
Hair color: Green
Eye color: Gray-green
Yet another member of the good, warm-hearted faction, the Leaf Knight is a genuinely good-hearted person and people regard him as such. He turns into a genuinely scary person, however, when you put a bow in his hands. According to Sun, Leaf can fire five arrows in ten seconds, with all of them hitting the bulls eye. He can also run, leap, sing a song, turn his head to look at a hot babe, and turn the enemy into a hedgehog with his arrows, all at the same time.
He specializes in ranged attacks, and his weapon is the Divine Leaf Bow.
- Archer Archetype: Being the leaf knight, Elmairy uses the Divine Leaf Bow and when he goes into battle he switches from nice guy to scary guy. 'he can run, jump, sing a song, turn his head to look at a hot babe, and at the same time, turn the enemy into a hedgehog with his arrows.'
- Beware the Nice Ones: Two words: Voodoo Dolls.
- Came Back Strong: Came back to life with enhanced eyesight.
- In-Series Nickname: Strawberry. One of the nicer ones.
- Nice Guy: Really a nice guy
The Blaze Knight
Hair color: Red
Eye color: Amber
Widely regarded as a person with fiery red hair with a temper to match, and who worships the Sun Knight. A member of the good, warm-hearted faction, Blaze is one of the rare members whose real personality matched the Blaze Knight persona. He is a strong swordsman who also specializes in purifying flames that could cleanse the spirit.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance
- Dynamic Entry: His habit of kicking down doors is a Running Gag, even when the door is open.
- Fiery Red Head: heh, heh
- Hot-Blooded: Very suited to his role.
- In-Series Nickname: Freakus. Blaze considers it better than Deatheo.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever happened in the Pope's room, the Pope magically made young!Blaze to forget. Played for Laughs.Lesus Even if you kick his door open, theres nothing much to see. You will just see Lesus correcting documents, and then you will make him angry.Grisia Extremely horrifying things will happen after you kick his door! noteThe Pope After kicking his door ???
- Personality Powers: Unlike just about everyone else.
- Playing with Fire
The Cloud Knight
Hair color: Pink
Eye color: Unknown
Widely regarded as a free spirit who loves roaming and reading books, the Cloud Knight is the last member of the good, warm-hearted faction, but his presence is often forgotten. It is so easy to overlook his presence that he could follow Sun around half of the Holy Temple before Sun discovers him. He likes to hide inside bookshelf and he knows the location of every single book in the library. Cloud follows every instruction of the Sun Knight diligently (because the books said so).
- Blinding Bangs
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Dark Is Not Evil Hates the light and brightness so much that he prefers to stay indoors...And hide in cupboards and bookshelves...And to only associate with people whose hearts are very very dark.
- Freudian Excuse: Loves cramped spaces and obeys everyone's instructions because he was kidnapped by bandits when he was young. He sees small spaces are safe havens, and he could never refuse the bandits' orders.
- In-Series Nickname: Didi
- Light 'em Up: Despite being a holy knight of the god of light, Cloud is badly effected by this to the point that sun light weakens him and holy light can disable him as thoroughly as the undead.
- Non-Action Guy: as a member of the Holy Knights, it is assumed he can fight... However, that would require going outside.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: He's always right behind you when you happen to be looking for him...
The Judgement Knight
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Black
This knight is widely regarded as the most terrifying and cruelest of the Holy Knights, responsible for judging criminals. The leader of the cruel, cold-hearted faction, the Judgment Knight whose very name sends criminals quaking in their boots spends his time (after interrogating criminals) in the toilet, throwing up and chatting with his sworn enemy, the Sun Knight. He first met Sun during their first practice quarrel, and the two have been fast friends ever since.
- Beneath the Mask: He hates seeing people get hurt.
- The Lancer: To Sun, sharing this duty with Adair. He's the unofficial second-in-command of the Holy Knights (not just his faction). He's also the one who usually stands up to and questions Sun when he's at his most manipulative and anti-heroic.
- In-Series Nickname: He is one who Sun is afraid to give a random nickname. Lampshaded by Word of God.
- Nice Guy: Lesus is a kindhearted idealist. When asked why he became Judgement Knight, he responded that he wanted to prevent sinners from sinning twice.
- The Rival: What he's supposed to be to the Sun Knight. In reality, they're best friends.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Ice being the public one.
- Supporting Protagonist: Has shades of this
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: Especially around Grisia who deserves every bit of snark he gets.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: has a few memorable moments when his cool breaks.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They're not really vitriolic, but the job just requires it, so their relationship has this appearance. They've almost developed a private code language of passive-aggressive insults to mask their conversations.
The Ice Knight
Hair color: Light blue
Eye color: Blue-gray
Widely regarded as a cold person who doesnt like to talk much. A member of the cruel, cold-hearted faction, the Ice Knight usually has no expression on his face, which may mislead people into thinking that he really is a cruel, cold-hearted person. But really, cruel, cold-hearted people dont usually make blueberry-flavored shaved ice for their enemies to eat on hot summer days, do they? Especially if the blueberry sauce is homemade
Ices fighting style is passive in nature. He can stand still for a whole day just waiting for his opponent to lunge his way, and then he will finish off his opponent with a single, fatal thrust. His weapon of choice is a giant, sharpened popsicle the Divine Ice Sword, that is.
He is on pretty good terms with the Sun Knight.
- An Ice Person: Naturally.
- Cheerful Child: As a kid, he could never stop smiling.
- In-Series Nickname: Wastelan.
- Mundane Utility: Uses ice magic to make Sun bowls of shaved ice with (homemade!) blueberry sauce.
- The Stoic: Makes no changes to his expression, though this wasn't the case when he was younger.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: We can be making these puns all day...
- Supreme Chef: Justified in that he was the son of a baker.
- Through His Stomach: He makes treats for people he likes.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Like Judgement, Sun and Ice are great friends but Sun is required to insult him and Ice has to act stand-offish in return.
The Moon Knight
Hair color: Indigo
Eye color: Violet
Widely regarded as a famous loner and narcissist, the Moon Knight is one of the more tragic members of the cruel, cold-hearted faction. Since he needs to keep his chin up permanently to create an haughty image, his neck muscles have stiffened to the point that he cant lower his head anymore. This can be a problem if he accidentally drops some items or when he wants to kiss his girlfriend. As a result, he can only woo girls who are at least 180cm tall and wear high heels.
- Jerkass: Another one inverted. His girlfriend is his world.
- One True Love: Has a girlfriend whom he would rather die than be parted from
- Whip It Good: His weapon of choice
The Metal Knight
Hair color: Brown
Eye color: Unknown
Widely regarded as: A person with poisonous barbed tongue. The Metal Knight is a member of the cruel, cold-hearted faction, and it was rumored that if you speak to him for ten minutes, your lifespan will be shortened by a year. Contrary to his widely regarded persona, the Metal Knight cant say anything poisonous. He actually complimented Sun as sparkly and pretty when he was trying to be poisonous.
- In-Series Nickname: Slime.
- Jerkass: Is supposed to be the epitome of this, but it's zigzagged all over. He's also a fanboy of Judgement.
- Knife Nut: His weapon of choice
- Fan Boy: Is this for Judgment
- You Were Trying Too Hard: Turns out that he's very insulting when he's not trying to be sharp tongued. He says that he's just being honest.
The Hell Knight
Hair color: Black hair streaked with silver
Eye color: Blue-green
Widely regarded as: A person who doesnt date, doesnt care for money, doesnt gamble, doesnt drink, doesnt brawl, doesnt The Hell Knight is the only knight who belongs to the cruel, cold-hearted faction but takes order from the Sun Knight. This spark the rumors that Hell Knight in truth isnt a real person, instead it was a identity assumed by the Sun Knight when he needs to carry out special missions. Roland isnt the true successor of Hell Knight who should be chosen by the predecessor, but he take on the Hell Knight identity under Suns instruction. He had been tortured to death by the Fat Pig King of Kingdom of Forgotten Sound, and his sword skill is nearly unmatched both before and after his death. He was revived as a Death Knight due to his obsession of becoming the Sun Knight, and his obsession was so strong that it enable him to transform into a Death Lord. He has the power to summon undead and to teleport.
His real identity of being a Death Lord is known only among the Twelve Holy Knights.
- Came Back Strong: Roland was already a great swordsman but turning into a Death Lord gives him extreme durability and extra dark powers as well.
- Comically Serious: Takes everything completely seriously, no matter how ridiculous it ought to be.
- Duels Decide Everything: When watching Sun and Pink banter, he continually insists that they duel to settle their squabbles. The first matter he wants them to duel over is who the rightful owner of a lollipop is.
- First-Name Basis: In Sun's monologues, rather than calling him Hell. He escaped having a nickname solely by being acquainted with Sun before he started randomly giving nicknames.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: And since he works for Sun, Hilarity Ensues.
- Leotard of Power: Male version.
- Master Swordsman: Even Judgement considers Roland's swordsmanship better than his.
- Pure Is Not Good: Roland's fatal flaw is that he is too good and overzealous in pursuit of justice, leaning close to Knight Templar. This is why he was passed over as Sun Knight. He does get better and has mellowed out over time.
- Shrouded in Myth: The Hell Knight is believed to be the Sun Knight's disguise (ironically), amongst others.
The Stone Knight
Hair color: Brown
Eye color: Unknown
The Stone Knight belongs to the cruel, cold-hearted faction and is famous for his stubbornness that is as tough and unyielding as a rock. It is said that to crack his skull is a simple matter, but to break his stubbornness would be more difficult than overthrowing the Church of the God of Light.
In reality, this generations Stone Knight is quite amiable and easy to get along with, but he adamantly refuses to become more stubborn.
Among the cruel, cold-hearted faction, the Stone Knight is the one who handles diplomacy.
- Ambadassador: Is seen as the diplomat among the holy knights. People might be so thrown off by his friendly attitude that they could forget that he is one of the 12 holy knights whose strength is better than good.
- Stubborn Mule: Is supposed to be this but is only stubborn about being stubborn and is otherwise a nice guy.
Kingdom of Forgotten Sound
Hair color: White
Eye color: Green
Widely regarded as: The most powerful member of the Church of the God of LightAlthough he looks like a cute 15-year old boy, the Popes actual age is unknown. However, according to Neo Sun, the previous Sun Knight, he is at least sixty years old. He manages the finances of the Church of the God of Light (although he is a complete miser), and oversees the Holy Church, the faction of clerics. He is extremely shrewd and seems to be hiding many secrets, especially the one about him being rather adept at magic He is also capable of using Resurrection with a 1/8 chance of a complete revival.
- The Chessmaster: As much as Sun. They're always scheming against each other.
- Foil: Is very similar to Sun hence why they don't always get along. They are both incredible mages, are rather miserly, are both The Chessmaster and are the leaders of their respective groups (the Holy Knights vs the Church).
- Inadequate Inheritor: Not the Pope but the major reason why he hasn't retired is because he can't find an adequate successor.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The Pope might be a scheming miser but he's still a Priest of the Holy Light and will stand up for his country, people and friends when he needs to.
- The One That Got Away: A platonic version. It's implied in a prequel that the Pope wanted Sun to be his successor back when he as a Holy Knight candidate but Neo choose him to be the Sun Knight.
- Older Than He Looks: Looks fifteen, but much older. He uses holy magic to make himself look young.
The Sun Knight (Previous Generation)
Hair color: Gold
Eye color: Blue
Grisia's teacher, and the former Sun Knight. Currently retired and adventuring.
- Beneath the Mask: Does actually admire and care for his student. He also choose Grisia as the leader of the Holy Knights for a good reason. He never bothered to show or explain this preferring to Troll Grisia instead.
- The Dreaded: Especially by his student. Played for Laughs.
- Ironically, as revealed in the Unbeatable side-novel, this is what Neo believes of Grisia. He's afraid that Grisia might seek revenge for the things he put his student through and might win due to his extremely powerful magic.
- Master Swordsman: Whose student is The Archmage. Earth lampshades this.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: Ha Ha No.
- Older Than He Looks: As revealed in a sidestory. Same as the Pope.
- One-Man Army: Once went against a hundred and fifty fully armed bandits, of which included archers and mages, by himself. He won, of course.
- World's Strongest Man: Even when retired and no longer in the favour of the God of Light, he is still very powerful. Well, he is known as the 'Greatest Sun Knight' ever.
- Subverted by the fact that, despite this, Neo can't even start a fire (he'll burn the forest down), cook (it'll be either charcoal or half-cooked), wash his clothes (they'll become rags), hunt properly (he gets lost), or even find the city he just left (with his luggage still there). Aldrizzt has to do all the work for him. It's implied he Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training.
Elijah Hell (formerly)
A Royal Knight Captain in the Kingdom of Forgotten Sound, introduced in the second book. Actually the Hell Knight, but gave up his position to Roland after the events of the book.
- Becoming the Mask: Despite being a spy, grows to care about the royal family and royal knights.
- Reverse Mole: Zigzagged.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Princess Jasmine of the Kingdom of Forgotten Sound. They end up married.
Neo's Dark Elf traveling companion. The poor guy...
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dark Elves are normally considered evil, but Aldrizzt is nowhere that.
- Epic Fail: How he got over 50 Dark Elves trying to kill him. First, he destroyed a temple since that's where he was locked in, then he blew up several streets, a city gate, and finally a bridge during his escape! Even Neo lampshades it.
- Neo: "Couldnt you have just run away quietly? If you make such a big scene, they have to hunt you down whether they want to or not, because otherwise, it would be totally embarrassing!
- Expy: Of another Dark Elf who his name blatantly comes from.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: Without him, Neo would be hopeless in everything but fighting.
- Squishy Wizard: Fortunately, he has Neo to defend him.
A powerful necromancer who takes the form of a young girl. The temple pays her to summon undead for them to defeat.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Her skin has a pink tint to it.
- Necromancer: Obviously
- Uncanny Valley: In-universe. As Sun notes, she looks like a cute girl... aside from the fact that her skin is tinted an unnatural shade of pink. Also, her eyes have a tendency to fall out.
- Our Liches Are Different: Other than the skin color, which she retains no matter which corpse she inhabits, she seems non-suspect. When she goes to purchase a corpse the man she buys it from doesn't even take notice of her.