open/close all folders
- Quotes: Rage against the dying of the light." "I know what lurks in the hearts of man" "Peace is the greatest lie of all" sounds very similar to the Sith Code "Peace is a lie, there is only passion..."
- Skins: Though it may be coincidence, Aatrox' classic art bears great resemblance to the Yu-Gi-Oh! monster Raviel, Lord of Phantasms, only colored mainly red instead of blue. Justicar Aatrox bears a resemblance to Credo's angel form from Devil May Cry 4.
- His skin, Mecha Aatrox, seemed like a simple reference to the mecha genre... until the splash art was revealed◊, and it was shown to be an homage to Pacific Rim, specifically the main jaeger Gipsy Danger◊, complete with dark blue and orange color scheme and chest turbine.
- Also, when recalling he transforms into a jet plane, which resembles Thundercracker or Starscream from the Transformers series.
- His skin, Mecha Aatrox, seemed like a simple reference to the mecha genre... until the splash art was revealed◊, and it was shown to be an homage to Pacific Rim, specifically the main jaeger Gipsy Danger◊, complete with dark blue and orange color scheme and chest turbine.
- Dance: Befitting the Korean origins of her inspiration, her dance is Run Devil Run by Korean pop group Girls' Generation. A side by side here.
- To complement this, Ahri has gained a 'Popstar' skin, which is another nod to this particular reference. On top of this, the announcement of this skin coincided with the release date of a Girl's Generation album, and the skin comes with another unique dance referencing them.
- Skins: Stinger Akali resembles The Bride from Kill Bill, Crimson Akali looks like Elektra from Daredevil, and Silverfang Akali looks like Smoke from Mortal Kombat 9. On top of it all, her classic skin strongly resembles Jade from Mortal Kombat.
- Dance: Single Ladies by Beyoncé.
- Skins: Matador Alistar is a reference to The Story of Ferdinand, which is about a bull who'd rather smell flowers than fight in a bullfighting show.
- Skins: The splash art for Emumu features posters for Death Cab for Corki, Anivinescense and Cho'Gath Eat World.
- Dance: Dances like the goths do in an episode of South Park.
- Abilities: Take a close look at the icon for Bandage Toss — it's him doing the Spider-Man web-shooting motion.
- Skins: Pretty obvious. You've got Red Ridding Annie, Annie in Wonderland, and FrankenTibbers Annie.
- Her last name? Hastur.
- Skins: Sherwood Ashe gets her name and primary colors from Robin Hood.
- Woad Ashe looks like Guinevere in the 2004 film of King Arthur.
- Marauder Ashe looks like she's wearing Daedric armor right out of Skyrim.
- Just from his appearance, he looks like a Studio Ghibli character.
- Skins: iBlitzcrank's design is much like the Apple Macintosh, and was released alongside LoL's beta client for Macs. The name itself is a reference to Apple's line of electronics which have a similar naming scheme (e.g. iPhone, iPad, iPod).
- Skins: Apocalyptic Brand looks like he just stumbled out of the Fallout world.
- Brand's origin seems to have been born out of Surtr, with Brand's body being an essential viking, his appearance being similar a common description of Surtr (blackened skin with lava crackling in it), and his claims that him burning the world will renew it, as would follow Surtr's role in Ragnarok. Regretably, Brand has no Flaming Sword.
- On death, Zombie Brand ends up re-buried, but his hand sticks up out of the ground, much like the hand in Left 4 Dead.
- For one of his lines, Braum refers to his shield as a "smashing board", in reference to this Dorkly short.
- Skins: The splash art for Jurassic Cho'Gath, with Cho'Gath in a museum-style building with a large banner hanging overhead, is a reference to the Jurassic Park film.
- Quotes: "Ah, the tangled webs we weave..."
- Gentleman Cho'Gath has several appropriately British references: "I'll bite your legs off!" "It's funny isn't it? How your best friend can just blow up like that." "I like a man who grins when he fights!" "One can survive everything, nowadays, except death." "Cake or death?"
- Some people can't help but look at his design and think "Violator." Other people think he looks a lot like a Carnifex. In early beta, his title was "The Red Terror", a type of Tyranid.
- Quotes: "This is Major Tom to Ground Control!" His /joke is "Lima Oscar Lima", which is NATO phonetic for LOL, a shout out to the internet slang for 'laughing out loud'. Or, y'know, League of Legends.
- Possibly a coincidence, but the fact that Sheen is a common powerful item on Corki makes this rather uncanny.
- Corki's flying machine is called the Reconnaissance Operations Front Line Copter (or ROFL Copter).
- Quotes: Taunt: "The Moon will rise! The night will last forever!"
- His death animation is incredibly similar to a motion Ocelot does a lot throughout the Metal Gear series.
- It could also be seen as a reference to Spike's "bang" as he dies in Cowboy Bebop.
- Some have likened Ekko to either Shulk or Crono.
- Skins: His Classic appearance bears more than a little resemblance to The Kid (note the red scarves, the hand wraps, and the utilitarian armour, as well as the white hair), while his weapon is reminiscent of Transistor.
- His Sandstorm skin is a reference to the Prince, specifically his Sands of Time incarnation where time manipulation becomes a large part of his power.
- Some of his in-game abilities take cue from existing MOBA skills. In particular, his Reset Button ultimate is very much taken from the ultimates of Weaver and Chronos.
- Skins: In her Blood Moon skin, her spider form bears a resemblance to Ariados.
- Quotes: Several References to Indiana Jones, including "Noxians... I hate those guys..." and "You belong in a museum!"
- Dance: The Hare Hare Yukai from the ending credits of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
- His energy bow looks a lot like the bow used by the Quincy in Bleach.
- Riot Games's advertisement on YouTube for his Pulsefire skin is a love song to Konami's Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Watch the PS2 video game intro trailer and have fun finding inspirations/similarities.
- Skins: His Pulsefire Skin has many similarities with Mega Man X, right down to his evolving armor resembling X receiving his Ultimate Armor upgrades.
- Dance: Fiora does her best impression of Fred Astaire dancing to Puttin' on the Ritz.
- Quotes: "I haven't got a brain, and soon neither will you!"
- Dance: Imitates the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz.
- Skins: His Special Forces skin brings Captain Price to mind.
- Skins: His old 'Sanguine' skin was explicitly made to evoke a Blood Angel Space Marine from Warhammer 40,000, his Commando skin evokes the Imperial Guard, and his Dreadknight skin is a few letters and a space away from being a Death Knight.
- Steel Legion Garen is explicitly a Space Marine. Sadly, there is no chainsword.
- His Rugged skin resembles post-redemption Siegfried.
- Quotes: One of his old jokes ("Summon me and you'll like the way you look. I Garen-tee it. Get it?") is a reference to Men's Wearhouse commercials.
- Dance: His old dance had him dance along to the song "Bye Bye Bye" by **NSYNC. His new dance encourages you to do The Monkey with him.
- Abilities: His passive is called "True Grit."
- Being a cowboy with the first name Malcolm could be a reference to Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly.
- Quotes: "Suffering is magic!"
- Dance: Though it could be seen as a reference to Discord's memetic dance, it bares the closest resemblance to Dope Zebra.
- Skins: His Arcade Hecarim skin turns his axe into a Guitar Hero controller, complete with buttons and strum bar. He also gets a rainbow-colored unicorn horn.
- Skins: His Alien Invader skin is based on Mars Attacks!
- Quotes: "Back, you dirty ape, back!", "Aha, 42, I knew it! Now - er, what was the question again?"
- His making war a moot point mirrors the belief of Oppenheimer, and the other half of his name is a reference to Schrodinger.
- She's named after one of the lead developer's usernames, who herself gets her name from Shurelia of Ar tonelico.
- Skins: Most likely a coincidence, given that looks are all they share, but her Frostblade skin looks a lot like Ramona Flowers when she had blue hair.
- Skins: While this may be a coincidence, the Steam Punk inspired Hextech skin makes Janna look a bit like Agatha Heterodyne.
- Dance: From this Dance Studio video.
- Quotes: One of his lines "Today is a good day to die!" could be one to Star Trek, but possibly instead to Sitting Bull or Crazy Horse. He says a line from The Charge of the Light Brigade verbatim: "Ours is to do and to die." He also says "For my father, the king.", a line of Prince Arthas from Warcraft III. As one of the developers worked on Defense Of The Ancients, a Warcraft III custom map, this was quite certainly intentional.
- Skins: The long-awaited Warring Kingdoms skin makes him look like Lu Bu. His Commando skin is based on a Imperial Guard Commissar from Warhammer 40,000.
- Skins: His hockey-themed skin is called The Mighty Jax. PAX Jax, which was released for the Penny Arcade Expo, appropriately wields a cardboard tube and has a Pac-Man logo on his clothes.
- His name and character are a reference to Garet Jax, the armsmaster who was an expert with all weapons, in Terry Brooks' The Wishsong of Shannara.
- Skins: With his Full Metal skin, he could either pass as Iron Man or Samus Aran at a glance.
- Dance: Does the famous MC Hammer slide. Yes, it's hammer time.
- His "murder as art" ethos is very reminiscent of Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker in Batman.
- Skins: In his High Noon skin, his line for killing Teemo with Curtain Call is "I like the way you die, boy."
- Her backstory and character design are equal parts Joker and Harley Quinn.
- She's basically the love child of the Joker and Tank Girl.
- Her dance is Jake showing the dancing bug "how to shake it" from Adventure Time.
- Quotes: Taunt: "Say hello to my friends of varying sizes!"
- In the "Get Jinxed" music video, one of the first images you see is Jinx surfing on what is probably one of her Super Mega Death Rockets. Taking a page from Dante, huh, Jinx?note
- Her backstory and M.O sound almost exactly like Ai Enma. Some of her details (avatar of vengeance who needs to be bound to a wronged host) are also very reminiscent of the Spectre.
- Skins: Phantom Karthus wears a mask like The Phantom of the Opera, and Pentakill Karthus strongly resembles Gene Simmons from KISS, as well as King Diamond to a lesser degree.
- Phantom Karthus VU is based on Sauron
- A somewhat elaborate example; Karthus' innate passive's icon, Death Defied was originally a picture of a sheep crossed out. One of the most powerful items in DotA is Guinsoo's Scythe of Vyze, which turns people into sheep. Guinsoo uses Karthus' icon in the official forums. You make the connection.
- Following his VU, Karthus references a lot of things. Pentakill Karthus has references to: Tenacious D, Brutal Legend, Ronnie James Dio, Manowar, Alice Cooper, Metalocalypse, and Spinal Tap.
- Skins: His Harbinger skin is somewhat reminiscent of Emplate.
- Dance: Taken from the famous dance scene at the end of Napoleon Dynamite.
- Dance: Dances just like Will and Carlton do in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- The dance for her Aether Wing skin is the one from Night of Fire by Hinoi Team, best known from its use in Initial D.
- A lot of fans have compared her visual design to Samus Aran. She's also easily mistaken for a man by new players.
- Quotes: "I am the wind!"
- Skins: Deadly Kennen is a fairly obvious Deadpool costume. Swamp Kennen is Yoda.
- Skins: He's heavily based off of a Xenomorph, while his ability to assume the most desirable characteristics of the prey he devours is right out of the Kroot and Tyranid playbooks.
- Dance: Does the kicking dance done by the frog from the animated classic One Froggy Evening.
- Skins: Her Wicked skin resembles Cruella de Vil of 101 Dalmatians.
- Quotes: "Lying is like 95% of what I do."
- Skins: His Muay Thai skin just screams Sagat, right down to Resonating Strike becoming a flying knee attack.
- Dance: Taken from a scene from the film Shaolin Soccer.
- His selection quote ("Your will, my hands") was originally spoken by Oenomaus in Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
- An entry in the Journal of Justice featuring him had a shout out to The Last Leaf
- His act of setting himself ablaze in protest of the Noxus invasion of Ionia is a reference to the Vietnamese monk Thich Quang Duc.
- Skins: You'll take one look at her Valkyrie skin and expect her ult to turn into Nibelung Valest.
- Her backstory is equal parts Queen Jadis and Nyarlathotep.
- Her appearance also brings to mind the Nova from Freezing. Her appearance is similar to that of Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite of Magic: The Gathering.
- She is also strikingly similar to Vayl Halyr from Iron Kingdoms: Both are ice witches (with similar color schemes to boot), hail from the Grim Up North, swore loyalty to their respective Eldritch Abomination masters, and finally betrayed and corrupted their kin to spread the influence of their respective masters.
- Her quote "Plans within plans" is taken from Dune.
- Skins: Bloodstone Lissandra's pose is the same as the pose of Elesh Norn from Magic: The Gathering card: Marrow Shards. Blade Queen Lissandra shares some similarities to the Lady of Pain from the Dungeons & Dragons setting Planescape; her appearance is also similar to the Ezrohir from Torchlight II, specifically their Artificer unit; and might be named after Sarah Kerrigan's title, Queen of Blades.
- His recall animation has him strike a Gun Kata pose straight from Equilibrium.
- His dance has him rapidly spinning his guns in circles and then throwing one into the air and catching it, much like Revolver Ocelot.
- His joke creates an evilly-grinning smiley face, which looks nearly exactly like The Guy's
- Skins: Hired Gun Lucian looks like a mixture of Blade and Raven.
- Quotes: "Death at the door? Hmph, no. I am the one who knocks."
- Abilities: Casting Help, Pix! on an enemy causes the faerie to annoyingly follow an enemy and damage them. The debuff is titled "Hey! Listen!"
- Quotes: "I love it when a plan comes together!" "In the name of Demacia, I will punish you!" "Double Rainbow? What does it mean?" "Shhh! I'm charging my laser..."
- Lux is largely based on Marisa Kirisame from Touhou. Her ultimate is named after Marisa's Final Spark (a variation on her trademark spell known as Master Spark), which is also a giant rainbow laser beam. Lux also calls herself an "ordinary witch," while Marisa is The Ordinary Magician, and both are known for copying spells from other people. Finally, Lux's Sorceress and Spell Thief skin may be based off of Marisa: her Sorceress Lux skin looks like PC-98 Marisa, and her Spell Thief Lux outfit and wand look like Marisa's outfit in UFO.
- Skins: Her Commando skin is based on the Imperial Guard from Warhammer 40,000. Bonus points for having a wand that's pretty much a lasgun on each end.
- Dance: Does the famous MC Hammer shuffle.
- Malphite has a great resemblance with Tiny from Dota 2.
- Dance: Malphite's dance resembles Capoeira called Ginga.
- Skins: His Shamrock Malphite is a clear reference to the Blarney Stone, the Obsidian Malphite skin has a resemblance to the Destroyers in Guild Wars, Marble Malphite appears similar to the zone Nagrand in World of Warcraft, and Glacial Malphite is possibly based on Ymir.
- Mecha Malphite seemed like a reference to the mecha genre... until the splash art was revealed◊, and it was shown to be an homage to Pacific Rim, with equal parts Metal Gear and Transformers added in.
- Skins: His Chosen skin is pretty much a Jedi Knight, complete with blue, green, or red lightsaber depending on how much his attack damage is increased by his Wuju Style ability. His Headhunter skin is based on Predator.
- Dance: A brief segment of the dance at the end of Napoleon Dynamite for his pre-reworked model. His new one ever since said rework is instead The Running Man dance.
- The one from his PROJECT: Yi skin is Japanese band World Order's HAVE A NICE DAY dance.
- His saplings look, move, and sound quite a lot like Pikmin.
- Quotes: Several of her quotes are references to Han Solo.
- Arcade Miss Fortune skin: Her recall animation is playing something similar of Duck Hunt... with Gangplank being the equivalent of the Duck Hunt dog.
- His title is The Master of Metal. And he actually looks like the incarnation of The Metal.
- Abilities: Each one is inspired by a heavy metal song.
- Innate passive: Iron Man
- Q: Mace of Spades aka Ace of Spades
- W: Creeping Death. his post rework W is also another Metallica song, Harvester of Sorrow.
- E: Siphon of Destruction aka Symphony of Destruction
- Ultimate: Children of the Grave
- His rework attaches a passive to his ultimate; Dragonforce.
- Debuff: The Prisoner
- Skins: Lord Mordekaiser is equal parts Arthas and Sauron with a equal parts Chaos Lord thrown in for good measure.
- Skins: His Toxic skin looks quite similar to The Incredible Hulk. Rageborn Mundo may remind one of a Fel Orc. Or the Red Hulk.
- Quotes: Many of Corporate Mundo's quotes are references to Office Space.
- Quotes: Joke: "Who let the dogs out? Woof, woof, woof."
- Skins: His Abyssal skin uses patterns and colors similar to the Black Legion Chaos Space Marines.
- Dance: Who ordered the pizza with extra Peeparoonie?
- Skins: His Ravager skin has more than a passing resemblance to Carnage.
- Quotes: "Don't make the yeti angry! You wouldn't like him when he's angry."
- Skins: Grungy Nunu has Nunu and Willump dressed like Oscar the Grouch and Cookie Monster.
- Skins: His Pentakill skin seems to be based off of Vinnie Paul.
- Quotes: "Urge to kill, rising..." His Brolaf skin features references to Anchorman, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and more.
- Skins: Her Bladecraft Orianna skin bares resemblance to Pris, the replicant from Blade Runner. It also resembles Mathilda from Anarchy Reigns, who appears to have a fully mechanical torso. It also bears a strong resemblance to R. Dorothy Wayneright from The Big O.
- Quotes: One of her joke lines is a reference to Aigis from Persona 3.
- Skins: Ruthless Pantheon looks a lot like He-Man.
- Quotes: He's obviously a walking reference to 300, and both his taunt and his joke reference the movie. To wit:
- "They will not enjoy this!" refer to Queen Gorgo's "You will not enjoy this!" when she murdered a Spartan emissary that kept blackmailing her.
- "Getting kicked into the well is the least of your worries!" refer to the famous "THIS! IS! SPARTA!!!" scene where Leonidas kicked the Persian Messenger to the well. Apparently Pantheon knows worse things.
- Lastly, in response of "SPARTANS! What is your profession!?" note , Pantheon has this gem: "MY PROFESSION!? You know, now that I think of it, I've always wanted to be a baker..."
- Skins: The face paint on Noxian Poppy looks an awful lot like the members of KISS. Lollipoppy looks just like one of the Oompa Loompas from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
- Skins: King Rammus changes his color scheme to closely resemble Bowser. Ninja Rammus is a reference to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, specifically Raphael.
- Skins: He's basically a walking homage to Predator. His Headhunter skin makes this more apparent.
- Dance: His dance is the Haka, of rugby's All Blacks fame. This may further be a reference to the similar looking Charr race in 'Guild Wars, as they also use the Haka as their dance animation in Guild Wars 2. Very possible as the Lead Champion Designer Morello worked on Guild Wars 2, and Rengar's release very closely coincided with Guild Wars 2s.
- Skins: Her Redeemed skin is based off of Meliadoul. Her Arcade Riven skin's recall animation has her select her sword from a circle around her among the swords from her other skins, a la Secret of Mana.
- Quotes: "You are beyond redemption".
- Dance: Her dance is based on the Water Dance of Braavos.
- A character named 'Riven' who is an exile...which main protagonist of a certain Star Wars game series does this remind you of?
- Riven the Exile, you say?
- Riven's Arcade skin looks as if Sora, Kairi and Goofy merged together.
- Skins: The name of his "Rumble in the Jungle" skin references a historic boxing match held in the African country of Zaire in 1974, where Muhammad Ali battled George Foreman.
- Dance: Looks suspiciously like the one done by I. M. Meen.
- Quotes: "Why so serious?" combined with the opening quote of "How about a magic trick?" and one of his jokes, "For my next trick, I'll make you disappear!" (no pencils were involved)note
- Skins: Not one, but two skins that reference Mortal Kombat; Yellow Jacket Shen looks like Scorpion and Frozen Shen looks like Sub-Zero.
- Quotes: "If light travels so fast, how come it's never caught a ninja?" "You're already dead, you just haven't caught up yet."
- Skins: Darkflame Shyvana's dragon form bares a resemblance to Alduin. Ice Drake Shyvana's bares one to Kyurem.
- Dance: Does the same dance as Japanese idol group AKB48 in the music video for their song RIVER.
- Skins: Augmented Singed is a very obvious reference to Bane, who was the main villain in The Dark Knight Rises, which was released at about the same time as the skin was.
- Quotes: Joke: "Shaken, not stirred." Movement: "Mix, mix, swirl, mix."
- Quotes: He will randomly say "Skar! Skar! Skarner!" if he idles in brush for long enough.
- Skins: Hextech Sion looks like the Terminator.
- Quotes: Arnold Schwarzenegger references abound. "Who is your summoner and what does he do?" "Get on my Chopper!" "What is best in death?"
- Skins: Warmonger Sion looks very close to a Warhammer Chaos Lord.
- Quotes: "It's mudering time!", "I'll be back.", "Fire... good..."
- Dance: Imitates Chris Farley's Chippendales audition from SNL.
- Skins: Her Warrior Princess skin is Xena, her Spectacular skin is Wonder Woman, her PAX skin is based on TRON, and her Huntress skin resembles Zhu Rong, which turns her weapon into a boomerang (her preferred weapon until 6).
- Skins: Arcade Sona's ultimate (which sends out a wave causing enemies to dance) resembles a Dance Dance Revolution screen, with a flow of arrows pointing in different directions.
- It's generally accepted that her standard skin was inspired by Hatsune Miku.
- DJ Sona, the ultimate skin has a new dance animation - the legendary and memetic Caramelldansen!
- Dance: In keeping with the extensive Ascended Memes in her model upgrade, she does the Chiquita Banana dance.
- Skins: His form while using his ultimate is awfully reminiscent of a Lord of Change. His Tyrant skin makes this even more obvious.
- Abilities: One of them is called Nevermove, a pun on Nevermore that was only supposed to be used during development but ended up sticking.
- Dance: Dances to the song Hoot by Korean pop group Girls Generation.
- Her hat looks fairly similar to the one worn by Midna.
- Skins: His Dragonblade skin greatly resembles Hiryu, and his Crimson Elite skin resembles a certain Judge.
- Dance: Michael Jackson's famous Billie Jean dance, complete with moonwalk and crotch-grab.
- Skins: His Armor of the Fifth Age skin is based on the World of Warcraft Paladin class's bright pink fifth-tier armor.
- Quotes: Joke: "Gems are truly outrageous. They are truly, truly, truly outrageous."
- He's reported to have designed costumes for a play titled The Sound of Magic.
- Skins: His Badger skin has to be a reference to the Badger Song, especially given his associate with mushrooms.
- His Superhero skin is pretty much Superman's costume with a T instead of an S.
- Dance: Another Badger Song reference.
- Skins: Her character is based off of Tank Girl, with her Riot Girl skin as a further reference.
- Quotes: "Don't hate the player, hate the club that's smashing your face!"
- Dance: The dance from PSY's Gangnam Style.
- Taunt: Hums the Underground theme from Super Mario Bros..
- Skins: Pickpocket Twitch heavily resembles Sly Cooper.
- Skins: Highlander Tryndamere, compete with kilt. And his Warring Kingdoms skin turns him into Guan Yu.
- Dance: A segment from "Bye Bye Bye" by **NSYNC.
- Skins: Spirit Guard Udyr bears a striking resemblance to Akuma. His maxed-out Bear Stance appearance even looks kind of like Oni, which is basically just Akuma consumed by the Satsui no Hadou.
- Varus is an archer. Varus is also a deformity of the knee...
- Skins: Her Vindicator, Aristocratic, and Dragonslayer skins skins are likely references to Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and the classic Dragoon-class from Final Fantasy, respectively.
- Dance: Appears to look a little like the poses the Ginyu Force pulls off, though it might also be a Gunkata.
- Her character and background draws heavy inspiration from Batman. She even has bats flying around her when activating her ultimate!
- Skins: White Mage Veigar is obvious, as is Veigar Greybeard.
- It's hard to say if it's intentional or not, but a little mage running around with an obscured face who has access to powerful and destructive magic does ring a bell for some.
- Dance: She dances the Dougie.
- Skins: Her recall animation for her Neon Strike skin is the same as Franky's poses. Her hair also somewhat looks like Franky's. Her Demon skin resembles Hellboy, sans the sawed-off horns.
- Dance: Does the Melbourne Shuffle, a rave dance that originated in Australia.
- Skins: His Count, Marquise, Nosferatu, and Vandal skins are references to Dracula, Lestat de Lioncourt, Graf Orlock, and Spike, respectively.
- Abilities: One of his skills, Tides of Blood, may be a reference to an old MOBA-style War Craft III custom map of the same name. Said map had a "Blood Mage" hero who had more-or-less the same gimmick as Vladimir.
- Dance: Does the "zombie dance" from Michael Jackson's Thriller video.
- His classic look bears a bit of a resemblance to Sabrewulf.
- Ultimate: His ultimate in the Chinese servers is actually named after the prequel tale of the original Sun Wukong, Havoc in Heaven (大鬧天宮/大闹天宫, Dànào Tiāngōng).
- Dance: Taken from the music video for "Pong" by Eisenfunk.
- Quotes: His jokes are both memes, coming from the Power Thirst commercial and an infamous LARP session.
- Skins: His Warring Kingdoms skin makes him look like Zhao Yun. His Commando skin is based on the Imperial Guard from 'Warhammer 40,000''.
- Skins: His Pentakill skin is an obvious reference to Slash.
- Each of the alters on the Twisted Treeline have a shout out when Yorick captures them. The west alter will say "Alas, poor Yorick" and the east alter will say "Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!"
- Skins: PROJECT: Yasuo is pretty much a combination of Gray Fox, Raiden and Sam.
- Yasuo's running animation is a pretty clear homage to Jetstream Sam's running animation. His Steel Tempest also greatly resembles Sam's signature gun-sheath move.
- The ability names from Yasuo's moveset sound like they may have been copied from Youmu Konpaku.
- Bears a strong visual resemblance to Majin Buu, and his backstory is equal parts Superman and Hellboy. His classic look is also referred to as Flubber.
- Bears a lot of resemblance to Power Rangers Lord Zedd, with a little bit of TMNT's Shredder thrown in.
- A brutal, black-themed ninja who uses his shadow to fight? Another famous game franchise has someone like that. His joke even outright quotes the famous fight-ending phrase of said franchise.
- His Shockblade skin looks similar to Storm Shadow.
- Dance: From the viral video Midget Superstar.
- Skins: Shurima Desert Zilean looks a bit like Gwonam.
- If two or more champions perform their dance emotes in front of Vilemaw, the giant spider boss of Twisted Treeline, he'll lift his legs up as if surprised, look around to make sure no one's watching, and start doing the Carlton Dance.
- The two new shopkeepers on the Howling Abyss map will occasionally reference movie quotes:
- The Blue Team shopkeeper:
- The Purple Team shopkeeper:
- The NPC storyteller in Amumu's lore was a young man who entered an ancient crypt and got inadvertently cursed by its undead inhabitant. He's named Khaldun.
- The icon for Mastermind in the support mastery tree is a reference to the box art from Deus Ex.
- Youmuu's Ghostblade is one letter off from Youmu from Touhou, who also wields a ghostly sword. It is a katana with sakura petals flying around it.
- Wriggle's Lantern shares a name with a firefly in Touhou. The official statement is that it was named after an adjucator called Wriggle, but behind the scenes we know that (former) employee Shurelia is a big Touhou fan.
- Trinity Force is the most expensive item in the game, created by combining three different mid-level items into one hybridized one. Both its name and its in-game icon are a shout-out to the Triforce from the Zelda series.
- The Brutalizer item costs exactly 1337 gold in total.
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter is named after the lore name of Crystal Maiden from Defense Of The Ancients. The item icon is almost identical to the one for Rylai's Brilliance Aura ability.
- The Manamune is highly reminiscent of the Soul Calibur sword from the first few games.
- Its name is also derived from Masamune, a legendary Japanese swordsmith. Its upgraded form, Muramana, is the same case; Muramasa was also a famous Japanese swordsmith.
- Kage's Lucky Pick, a magical guitar pick item, is based upon Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny.
- Atma's Impaler references the "Atma Weapon" mistranslation of Final Fantasy VI. Just like the weapon from the Final Fantasy game, the strength of Atma's Impaler is based on the wielder's HP.
- Guinsoo's Rageblade is half shout out and half internal homage, as Steve "Guinsoo" Feak, one of the big names at Riot Games, used to develop Dot A Allstars before passing it on to current developer Icefrog. For that matter, a number of champions and items take their moniker from Riot developers' screen names. But the most convoluted Easter Egg is the fact that Karthus's passive used to have a sheep as an icon. This referred to "Guinsoo's Scythe of Vyse," an item from Dota which conferred Baleful Polymorphing, and was snuck in because Karthus is Feak's favorite Champion.
- The Talisman of Ascension is one of the few items in the game with flavor text, saying "Praise the Sun", a common saying in player messages in the Dark Souls series.
- An update for a more exact queue status now shows your place more precisely. Initially, when the queue was long enough, it just reports your current place in the waiting line as Over 9000. The queue is now more exact (Over 20,000), but lost the reference.
- The in-game chat displays kill streaks using Unreal Tournament lines, such as "Killing Spree!" "Dominating!" and "Godlike!"