There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
The habit of combining one- or two-word titles with a subtitle for foreign release so the public will have a better idea what the work is about. It's a way to give people who haven't heard about the original work an idea of the premise without making it unknown to the people who do know the original work by name. Sometimes the subtitle is a direct translation of the original title
(if it is kept in the original language), making the name redundant, or it may be something that explains the plot.
Usually a case of Woolseyism
and a case of foreign Colon Cancer
. See also Completely Different Title
From English to Czech
From English to Danish
From English to Finnish
- Alien: Den 8. passager ("The Eighth Passenger"; you'll see most translations added this subtitle)
- Superman: Pĺ Nye Eventyr ("[On] new adventures")
From English to French
- Pulp Fiction: Tarinoita väkivallasta ("Stories about violence")
Note: Most, if not all these examples, apply only to titles translated in France. In Quebec and other French-speaking parts of Canada, the title is usually completely translated or left completely untouched.
From English to German
- Alien, Le huitičme passager (The Eighth Passenger)
- Cars: Quatre Roues (Four Wheels) (France)
- The Dark Knight: Le Chevalier Noir
- FX, Effets de choc (Shocking (special) Effects)
- And FX, Effets Spéciaux, la série (Special Effects)
- Grey's Anatomy: Ŕ cśur ouvert (from chirurgie ŕ cśur ouvert which means open heart surgery).
- Masked Rider: Le Justicier de l'espace (The Hero of Space)
- NCIS: Enquętes spéciales (Special investigations)
- The Patriot: Le chemin vers la liberté (The path towards freedom)
- Thunderbirds: Les Sentinelles de l'Air (The Guardians Of The Sky). This is the live action film. The TV series itself was called Les Sentinelles de l'Air in French, so the subtitle was added to unite the English and French titles of the franchise.
- Wanted: Choisis ton destin (Choose your destiny, this is the movie we're talking about here)
- The X-Files: Aux frontičres du réel (At the Borders of Reality). Here again, to tie with the series's French title.
From English to Hungarian
- Alien – Das unheimliche Wesen aus einer fremden Welt (The sinister creature from a foreign world)
- The Crow - Die Kraehe (The crow)
- The Da Vinci Code - Sakrileg (sacrilege). Sakrileg is the German title of the novel, and apparently when the movie came out, they wanted to make sure that the people know which (best-selling) book it is the film of.
- DuckTales: Neues aus Entenhausen (News from Duckburg)
- Superman II - Allein gegen alle (Alone against all)
- Superman III - Der stahlerne Blitz (The iron thunderbolt)
- Mean Girls – Girls Club - vorsicht, bissig! (dangerous, bites). Yes they invented a new, English title. They do this a lot. Don't ask.
- The Village - Das Dorf (a word-on-word translation, making the thing completely idiotic since most Germans know what 'village' means.)
- Everything on this list.
From English to Italian
- Alien - Nyolcadik utas a Halál (The eighth passenger is Death — originally an example of Completely Different Title, but they later reinstalled the title Alien and made The eight passenger... a subtitle). The sequels took it up with Theme Naming:
- Aliens - A bolygó neve: Halál (The Planet's Name: Death)
- Alienł - Végső megoldás: Halál (Final Solution: Death)
- Alien 4 - Feltámad a Halál (Resurrection of Death)
- Alien VS Predator- A Halál a Ragadozó ellen (The Death VS the Predator)
- DuckTales - Kacsamesék (Duck Stories)
- JAG - Becsületbeli ügyek (Points of Honor)
- Monk - Flúgos nyomozó (The Wacky Detective)
- Psych - Dilis detektívek (Goofy Detectives)
- Totally Spies!! - Született kémek (Born Spies)
- Toy Story - Játékháború (Toy Wars)
- Primeval - Őslények kalandorai (Adventurers of Prehistoric Creatures)
- Battlestar Galactica - Csillagközi Romboló (Interstellar Destroyer)
- Terminator - A halálosztó (The Death Giver)
- True Blood - Inni és élni hagyni (Drink and Let Live)
- Rush - A hajsza (The Chase)
- Gossip Girl - A pletykafészek (The Blabbermouth)
From English to Japanese
- Cars: Motori ruggenti (Roaring Engines)
- Cold Case: Delitti irrisolti (Unsolved crimes)
- ER: Medici In Prima Linea (Physicians Ready For Action'')
- Scrubs: Medici Ai Primi Ferri (Barely Physicians, ferri meaning surgical tools'')
- Nightmare: Dal profondo della notte (From the depths of the night)
- Ghost Whisperer: Presenze (Presences)
- JAG: Avvocati in divisa (Lawyers in uniform)
- Masked Rider: Il Cavaliere Mascherato (The Masked Knight)
- NCIS: Unitŕ anticrimine (Crime fighting unit)
- Ocean's Eleven: Fate il vostro gioco (Make Your Play)
- Full Monty: Squattrinati organizzati (Pennyless but organized)
- Ghost: Fantasma
- Candyman: Terrore dietro lo specchio (Terror behind the mirror)
- 17 Again: Ritorno al liceo (Back to high school)
- The Addiction: Vampiri a New York (Vampires in New York)
- All You've Got : Unite per la vittoria ([females] United for victory)
- Halloween (1978): La Notte Delle Streghe (Night Of Witches'')
- The Hitcher: La Lunga Strada Della Paura (The Long Road Of Fear)
- Carrie: Lo Sguardo Di Satana (Satan's Look)
- Leverage: Consulenze Illegali (Illegal Consulences'')
- Deja Vu: Corsa contro il tempo (Race against time) (the 2006 film with Denzel Washington)
- The Departed: il bene e il male (Good and evil)
- Hitch: Lui sě che capisce le donne (He really understands women)
- Superbad: Tre menti sopra il pelo (Three minds on a hair, pun over the Italian romantic movie "Tre metri sopra il cielo")
- Cool Runnings: Quattro sotto zero (Four below zero, a pun on temperature and the four members of the Jamaican bobsled team)
- Sister Act: Una svitata in abito da suora (A nutty woman dressed as a nun)
- White Collar: Fascino Criminale (Criminal Charm, a pun on the fact that Neal is really hot and the fact that he uses such charm to get things done his way)
- Epic Mickey: La Leggendaria Sfida di Topolino (Mickey Mouse's Legendary Challenge)
- Die Hard 3: Hard to Kill
- Rosemary's Baby: nastro rosso a New York (Red ribbon in New York)
- A Bug's Life: Megaminimondo (A small yet big world)
- Get Smart: Un detective tutto da ridere (A totally laughable detective)
- Totally Spies!: Che magnifiche spie! (Such wonderful spies!)
- Frozen: Il Regno di Ghiaccio (The Ice Kingdom)
- Easy Rider: libertŕ e paura (Freedom and Fear, the main themes of the film)
- Inverted with Brave. The film was renamed Ribelle - The Brave (ribelle = rebel), turning the original title into the Italian subtitle.
- K-PAX: Da un altro mondo (From Another World)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Il potere di Electro (The power of Electro)
- Gattaca: la porta dell'universo (Universe's door, which has no sense in the context of the film)
- Beetleborgs: quando si scatena il vento dell'avventura (When adventure's wind is unleashed)
From English to Norwegian
From English to Portuguese
- Alien: Den ĺttende passasjer (The eighth passenger)
- Enchanted: Eventyr i New York (Fairytale in New York)
From English to Russian
From English to Spanish
- 1941: Ano Louco em Hollywood (Mad Year in Hollywood) (Portugal)
- 1941: Uma Guerra Muito Louca (A Really Crazy War) (Brazil)
- The 2004 remake of Alfie became Alfie e as Mulheres (and the ladies) in Portugal and Alfie - O Sedutor (The Seductive) in Brazil.
- Alien, o Oitavo Passageiro (The Eighth Passenger)
- Aliens: O Resgate (The Rescue)
- Battleship: A Batalha dos Mares (The Battle of the Seas) (Brazil). Portugal opted to put the game's title: Battleship: Batalha Naval (Naval Battle)
- Blade, O Caçador de Vampiros (The Vampire Hunter)
- Blade Runner: O Caçador de Andróides (The Android Hunter)
- Blow Up: Depois Daquele Beijo (After That Kiss) (Brazil)
- Brave - Indomável (Tameless) (Portugal)
- Cloverfield: Monstro (Monster) (Brazil); Portugal inverts the trope: Nome de Código: Cloverfield (Codename: Cloverfield).
- Cobra: O Braço Forte da Lei(Portugal) In Brazil it's a weird case: Stallone Cobra (blame it on the poster◊).
- Con Air - Fortaleza Voadora (Aerial Fortress) (Portugal)
- Con Air: A Rota da Fuga (The Escape Route) (Brazil)
- DuckTales: Os Caçadores de Aventuras (The Hunters of Adventures) (Brazil)
- Dungeons & Dragons: A Aventura Começa Agora (The Adventure Begins Now)
- FX: Assassinato Sem Morte (Murder without Death)
- Forrest Gump: O Contador de Histórias' (The Story Teller)
- Frozen - Uma Aventura Congelante (A Freezing Adventure) (Brazil)
- Frozen - O Reino do Gelo (The Ice Kingdom) (Portugal)
- Ghost: Do Outro Lado da Vida (From the Other Side of Life)
- Hairspray: Em Busca da Fama (Seeking Fame)
- Jack Reacher: O Último Tiro (The Last Shot) (Brazil)
- Karate Kid: A Hora da Verdade (The Moment of Truth)
- Karate Kid II: A Hora da Verdade Continua (The Moment of Truth Continues)
- Kick-Ass: Quebrando Tudo (Breaking It All)
- Mad Men - Inventando Verdades (Making Up Truths) (Brazil)
- Minority Report: A Nova Lei (The New Law) (Brazil)
- Parenthood: O Tiro Que Năo Saiu Pela Culatra (The Shot That Didn't Backfire) (Brazil)
- Predator 2: A Caçada Continua (The Hunt Goes On)
- Project X: Fora de Controlo (Out of Control) (Portugal) and Projeto X - Uma Festa Fora de Controle (A Party Out of Control (Brazil)
- Pulp Fiction: Tempo de Violęncia (Time of Violence)
- Rebecca - A Mulher Inesquecível (The Unforgettable Woman) (Brazil)
- Resident Evil: O Hóspede Maldito (The Cursed/Damned Guest)
- Rock N Rolla: A Grande Roubada (The Great Steal) (Brazil)
- Rock N Rolla: A Quadrilha (The Gang) (Portugal)
- Rocky, Um Lutador (A Fighter)
- Rocky II: A Revanche (The Rematch)
- Rocky III: O Desafio Supremo (The Supreme Challenge)
- Seabiscuit: Alma de Herói (A Heroic Soul) (Brazil)
- A Serbian Film: Terror Sem Limites (Limitless Horror)
- Snatch: Porcos e Diamantes (Pigs and Diamonds - the director's previous movie having a three element title probably helped)
- Space Jam: O Jogo do Século (The Game of the Century) (Brazil)
- Superman II: A Aventura Continua (The Adventure Goes On)
- The Commitments: Loucos Pela Fama' (Crazy About Fame)
- The Incredibles - Os Super-Heróis (Portugal)
- Top Gun: Ases Indomáveis (Indomitable Aces) (Brazil)
- Toy Story: Os Rivais (Portugal)
- Toy Story: Um Mundo de Aventuras (A World of Adventures) (Brazil)
- Toy Story 2: Em busca de Woody (The Search for Woody) (Portugal)
- Up: Altamente! (Awesome!) (Portugal)
- Up: Altas Aventuras (High Adventures) (Brazil)
- Wolverine: Imortal (Brazil)
From English to Swedish
- Adaptation: El ladrón de orquídeas ("The Orchid Thief")
- Alien, el octavo pasajero ("The Eighth Passenger")
- Aliens: El regreso ("The Return")
- Antwone Fisher: El triunfo del espíritu ("The Spirit's Triumph")
- Arlington Road: Temerás a tu vecino ("You Will Fear Your Neighbor")
- Boogieman: La puerta del miedo ("The Door of Fright")
- Cloverfield: Monstruoso ("Monstruous")
- Encantada: La historia de Giselle ("Giselle's Tale")
- Gravity Falls: Un Verano de Misterios ("A Summer of Mysteries")
- Kick-Ass: Un superheroe sin superpoderes ("A superhero without superpowers")
- Kill Bill: La vengaza (The Revenge)
- L.A. Law: Se hará justicia ("Justice will be Served")
- Poltergeist: Juegos diabólicos ("Devilish Games")
- Quiz Show: El dilema ("The Dilemma")
- Resident Evil: El huésped maldito ("The Cursed Guest")
- Serenity: Furia imparable ("Unstoppable Fury")
- Alma de héroes: la leyenda de Seabiscuit ("Heroic Soul: the Legend of Seabiscuit")
- Superman II: La aventura continua ("The Adventure Continues")
- Terminator: El exterminador
- Thundercats: Los felinos cósmicos ("Cosmic Cats")
- Top Gun: Pasión y gloria ("Passion and Glory")
- Up: Una aventura de altura ("A High Adventure")
- Watchmen: Los vigilantes ("The Watchmen")
- Sunshine: Alerta solar ("Solar Alert")
- Game of Thrones: Ganas o Mueres ("You Win or You Die")
- Battleship: Batalla Naval ("Naval Battle")
- Sucker Punch: Mundo Surreal (Surreal World)
- Recreo: La Serie Animada De Disney ("Disney's Animated Series")
- Warrior Cats: Los Cuatro Clanes ("The Four Clans")
From German to English
From Japanese to Chinese
- Das Boot: The Boat
- Inverted in M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (M: A City Looks for a Murderer)
From Japanese to English
From Japanese to French
- Kakurenbo: Hide and Seek
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: The Power Of Negative Thinking. Actually an intelligent choice, considering that every chapter title is also a Literary Allusion Title.
- Kodomo no Omocha: Child's Toy
- When They Cry: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, in an example of a Foreign Supertitle. "When They Cry" is the franchise title, and does appear as a supertitle for the original games, but is removed for The Anime of the Game, and was put back on by Geneon.
- The name that is most used here is Higurashi - When they cry (and Umineko - When they Cry for the sequel).
- Bokurano: Ours
- Samurai Harem: Asu no Yoichi!!
- The Masked Rider: Kamen Rider ZO
- Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac - Only applies to Viz's version of the manga.
- Ai Yori Aoshi: True Blue Love
- Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug That Makes You Dream
- The translation of the Shugo Chara!! manga leaves the title intact, which is probably why the legal streaming version of the anime calls it My Guardian Characters, AKA Shugo Chara.
- Onimusha: Warlords
- Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
- Onimusha 3: Demon's Siege
- Averted with Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, since the subtitle already existed in the Japanese title. However, the word Shin (for "new") was omitted for the overseas version.
- Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight, an egregious example since it barely has anything to do with Street Fighter and practically nothing to do with Final Fight
- Mario & Luigi (RPG): Superstar Saga
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha VS The Soulless Army (the Japanese subtitle being Raidou Kuzunoha VS the Super-Soldier Army)
- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
- Inverted with Golden Sun, which lacked its "The Broken Seal" subtitle in the English release. The other games kept their subtitles, though.
- Also inverted with the seventh Fire Emblem, which was titled Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken ("The Sword of Flame"). This can cause some confusion, as "Fire Emblem" alone could refer to the original Famicom game in the series, Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi ("The Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light"), or the second Game Boy Advance game and the first game in the series released overseas.
- Yamada's First Time - B Gata H Kei.
- Wartech: Senko No Ronde
- Kannazuki no Miko: Destiny of the Shrine Maiden - This was the title of the Geneon release. When Sentai Filmworks acquired it, it was simply reduced to Destiny of the Shrine Maiden.
- Daraku Tenshi: The Fallen Angels
- Inverted with Sin and Punishment, where the "Successor of the Earth" subtitle was omitted in the English release.
- Subverted with Okage: Shadow King; while "okage" does mean "shadow king," the game's Japanese title is completely different.
- anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
- Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics
- Inindo: Way of the Ninja
- Ishido: The Way of the Stones
- Ka-Ge-Ki: Fists of Steel
- Inverted with Super Mario World, where its subtitle Super Mario Bros. 4 was dropped in the international release.
- Bujingai: The Forsaken City, or Bujingai: Swordmaster in Europe
- Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
- Hagane: The Final Conflict
- Noroi: The Curse. Noroi is Japanese for curse.
- The Mystery of Mamo was originally released in Japan as simply Lupin III. Since the title is also the name of the franchise, and past works in the franchise, the translation teams have released the film under several titles, such as Lupin the Third: The Secret of Mamo or Lupin the 3rd: The Mystery of Mamo. The Japanese have fallen to Franchise-Driven Retitling and renamed it to Lupin III: Attack of the Clones, just to drive home the number of times this movie has been retitled.
From Japanese to Hungarian
From Japanese to Italian
From Japanese to Russian
- What's My Destiny: Dragon Ball Z (At least initially, it later became better known by its original title.)
From Japanese to Spanish
- Sailormoon (first season): The Moon In A Sailor Suit
From Japanese to Swedish
From Indonesian to English
From Korean to Spanish
From Welsh to English
- Taekwon V: Mision Espacial (Mission on Space)
- Dream High: Sueńa Sin Limites (Dream Without Limits)
- S 4 C's Welsh-language cop show/crime thriller Y Gwyll became Y Gwyll (Hinterland) when screened with English subtitles.