is a 2011 supernatural horror film directed, produced, and written by Ti West and starring Sara Paxton, Pat Healy and Kelly McGillis.
Two young slackers, Claire (Paxton) and Luke (Healy), are the last two employees of the soon-to-be-closed-down Yankee Pedlar Inn in Connecticut. Knowing that the inn is rumored to be haunted, they go out looking for the ghost of Madeline O'Malley, a jilted bride who killed herself at the inn many years ago, with the help of former sitcom actress turned medium Leanne Rease-Jones (McGillis), who is staying at the inn for a convention.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: For a guy who's investigating hauntings, Luke is awfully quick to dismiss Leanne as a phony psychic. Then again, this was before we learn that he thought the whole thing was hokum to begin with, and was just making it all up based on stuff he'd heard. When he becomes convinced that Madeline is really haunting the hotel, he makes a run for it.
- Beauty Inversion: Sara Paxton dressed down, cut her hair short and wore no makeup.
- Bedsheet Ghost: Claire in Luke's "re-enactment" of Claire's discovery of the ghost in the lobby.
- Black Screen of Death: We never do see Madeline catch Claire; we just see the aftermath.
- Broken Pedestal: Claire was a huge fan of Leanne as an actress, and was disappointed when she "felt like an asshole" after meeting her. They eventually warm up, though.
- Chekhov's Gun: Claire's inhaler.
- Downer Ending: Luke's lost both his friend Claire and, given that the inn is closing down, his job.
- Driven to Suicide: The elderly gentleman guest out of loneliness to his wife's death.
- Electromagnetic Ghosts: Claire and Luke use recording equipment to pick up electronic voice phenomena, or EVP.
- Fright Deathtrap: The ghosts aren't able to do much more than move small objects and cause whispering on the physical plane, so Madeline and the dead guest have to rely on scaring Claire into tripping down stairs, and triggering an asthma attack.
- The Hero Dies
- Hey, It's That Guy!: A pre-Girls Lena Dunham shows up as a rambling barista.
- The Internet Is for Porn: When going through Luke's internet history to find his paranormal site, Claire finds that he had been using the work computer to surf for porn.
- Jump Scare: In-universe. Luke gets Claire with an online "screamer" video in one scene.
- Lovecraft Country: Connecticut, to be exact.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Several scenes in the film can scare the pants off you with minuscule effects thanks to long, quiet(ish) suspenseful buildup.
- Oblivious to Love: Luke all but tell Claire he loves her, and Claire says she has a fun idea... which is to go ghost hunting in the basment.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Luke leaves Claire behind the moment he realizes that the ghost is real.
- Too Dumb to Live: Sure, Claire, go into the basement after the psychic lady warns you not to go down there. And while you're at it, go back down there when you hear strange noises coming from that direction, and run further into the basement rather than up and towards your friends.
- Though given that she'd made those decisions after having more than a few beers and in the last case fell down a flight of stairs and hit her head, this is likely justified.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Claire is ultimately done in by an asthma attack.