A 2013 action-thriller directed by Courtney Solomon.
Brent Magna (Ethan Hawke), a retired race-car driver, is put into a race against time when his wife is kidnapped by a mysterious man (Jon Voight) who threatens to kill her unless Brent follows his orders. During Brent's mission for the kidnapper, a young woman (Selena Gomez
) only known as "The Kid" attempts to carjack him, but is dragged into the vehicle and forced to help him.
The film was harshly reviled by critics and audiences alike, receiving a 3% on Rotten Tomatoes
and bombed at the box office
. A lot of it was pointed at Selena Gomez's acting and role in the film, despite her best efforts.
Tropes applying to this film:
- An Asskicking Christmas: Brent and his wife Leanne went to her hometown of Sofia, Bulgaria for a Christmas vacation, only for her to be kidnapped.
- Badass Biker: Several of the kidnapper's mooks.
- Badass Driver: Brent. The kidnapper even says he's the only driver good enough to complete his objectives.
- Car Chase: Many.
- Car Fu: Brent rams several cars and objects with his own.
- Cool Car: Brent drives an armored Shelby Mustang Super Snake.
- Extremely Short Time Span: The film takes place from one morning to the next.
- Flipping the Bird: The Kid flips off a trucker who almost hits them.
- I Have Your Wife/An Offer You Can't Refuse: The kidnapper forcing Brent to work for him by taking his wife.
- Karma Houdini: The kidnapper was on the other side of the planet working through a Body Double. As the film ends, he gloats having successfully transferred a massive amount of money into his account.
- Made of Iron: The Kid takes getting thrown out of a moving car in stride.
- Mugging the Monster: Even through The Kid was armed, Brent very easily subdues her and drags her into his car.
- No Name Given: The carjacker is only referred to as "The Kid".
- The Oner: The final car chase is one continuous take.
- Playing Against Type: Selena Gomez as a carjacker in an action movie.
- The Reveal: The car the kidnapper assigned Brent belonged to the Kid. She is the daughter of a bank C.E.O. The kidnapper steered them together to eventually try to frame them for robbing the bank while his mooks perform the real robbery.
- Sinister Surveillance: The kidnapper is able to see, hear, and contact Brent at anytime, preventing him from getting help from the authorities.
- Toyota Tripwire: The Kid does this to a mook on a motorcycle.
- Would Hit a Girl: The kidnapper's mooks unnecessarily beat the shit out of Brent's wife while capturing her. In her captivity, they rough her up a lot.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Discussed. The Kid suggests to Brent that the kidnapper will just kill them all after they complete his objectives.