Gerry is a 2002 film directed by Gus Van Sant which tells the story of Gerry and Gerry, who go hiking in New Mexico to see "the thing" at the end of the trail. Eventually, they get lost.This film is as minimalist as a film could possibly get, having limited dialogue, a bare-bones plot, and a cast of two, Matt Damon and Casey Affleck.The film is the first in Van Sant's Death Trilogy (the second film being Elephant) and is roughly based on the true story of David Coughlin and Raffi Kodikian.Not to be confused with the 2011 film of the same name.
- Beautiful Void
- Bittersweet Ending: Gerry (Affleck) gets killed by Gerry, who finds the road and gets picked up by a car and survives.
- Character Title: "Gerry" is also a slang term that the actors used (who helped write it) as a term for "screwing up".
- Gallows Humor: As Gerry and Gerry lay down in the middle of nowhere, about to die. "How do you think the hike is going so far?"
- Genre Launch: This seems to be the film that launched mumblecore, as many of the film's elements later appear in those types of production.
- Leave the Camera Running: A good deal of the movie is this trope taken Up to Eleven.
- Mercy Kill: At the end Gerry (Damon) kills the other Gerry so he doesn't have to die of dehydration.
- Minimalist Cast: Affleck, Damon and extras.
- The Oner: Multiple. The most infamous one is the seven minute shot of Gerry and Gerry slowly walking away from the camera as the sun rises.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with Gerry and Gerry. This doesn't get confusing in the film as there's only the two of them in the entire film.
- The Unreveal: It's never stated what "the thing" at the end of the trail is.
- Scenery Porn: Lots and lots of gorgeous mountains. And that's all the movie's got going for it.
- Silence Is Golden: There is some dialogue, a lot of it with swearing, but there is almost no soundtrack.
- Trailers Always Lie: Although the original theatrical trailer knew what kind of movie this was, when Miramax got the home media rights, their trailer made it look like a grizzly thriller. It's even listed as such on their 10-movie DVD pack. Anyone expecting edge of your seat excitement will... well, you know.