Film: The Last Man on Earth
"You're freaks! I'm a man! The last man... "The Last Man On Earth is a 1964 film starring Vincent Price. It is an adaptation of the novel I Am Legend, and is in many ways closer to the book than the subsequent film adaptations (The Omega Man and I Am Legend).
This film provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: The protagonist went from Robert NEVILLE to Robert MORGAN.
- After the End: As in the original story, the movie is set after a terrible plague has unleashed undead hordes on the Earth. Vincent Price spends all his free time researching for a cure and killing the undead.
- The Aloner: Morgan, of course. Thanks to the plague he's the last man on Earth.
- Contamination Situation: Vincent Price is the only person left and is immune to the virus turning people into vampires, but does have the virus.
- Ghost City: Morgan's home town emptied by the plague and everywhere else, really.
- Happier Home Movie: Sometimes Morgan watches home movies of his (dead) daughter and (undead) wife.
- The Hunter: Morgan himself. He spends most of his time hunting down and killing the undead, who he thinks are all near-mindless monsters. He learns differently, to his regret.
- The Immune: Morgan spends his time hunting for someone like this to make a cure for the plague. He eventually learns there's no need. Because everyone on Earth is either dead or undead.
- Last of His Kind: Morgan, as the title suggests.
- The Last Title: The title.
- Next Sunday A.D.: The movie is set sometime in the 'near future' from when it was made in 1964.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Rather literally done as Morgan finds a little dog that he takes in for the joy of some living company. And then he discovers the dog has the plague too.