From the movie:
- Morgan is forced to kill the dog he managed to befriend because it's infected.
- Morgan discovering in the end that all his efforts to find a cure and end the undead menace were worse than useless.
- Morgan trying to get the soldiers at the pit to give him back his daughter's body, only for a military policeman to tell him that there are lots of daughters down there, including his own. Her body is tossed into the pit, and for one long moment Morgan is clearly willing to jump after her.
From the TV series:
- "No Bull": Phil insisting to Phil #2 that they're family. Probably because he misses his brother, who's really still alive in space.
- "Silent Night": Phil #2 is stricken with appendicitis. Gail and Todd attempt to perform the surgery, but Phil #2 bleeds out. Gail and Todd try to staunch the bleeding but in the panic of the moment, the monitor flatlines. The next episode reveals that he died on the operating table.
- "Smart and Stupid": Todd started yelling at Tandy for spending time with his brother, until seeing Mike cough up blood, a symptom of the virus. Tandy keeps on insisting that Mike just has a cold, but the rest don't buy it after the calf's mother dies from the virus. The next episode continues on this, with Mike accepting the fact that he will die and realizing his brother buried his family after the virus.
- "The Open-Ended Nature of Unwitnessed Deaths":
- Phil takes Lewis back to his home in Seattle after learning that his partner Mark was on his way back home when the virus hit. Remembering that his brother Mike made it back, Phil figures there might be a chance, however slim, that Mark might still be alive, and wants Lewis to at least leave a note explaining that he's still alive. Once at the house, Lewis breaks down remembering his life with Mark, and in the end leaves the note on the front door.
- Inspired by Lewis, Phil drives back to Tucson to see if his brother is still alive. Once back home, he goes to open Mike's bedroom door, but hesitates and instead leaves a note on the front door as well.
- Carol wants Gail to be a grandmother to her unborn child, so she tries to have Gail legally adopt her. After Gail fights Carol over it, she explains why she isn't willing to have a family: [[spoiler:She had a son once, and it wasn't the virus that killed him.]
- "If You're Happy and You Know It"
- Todd locks Melissa inside a room because he thinks Melissa hasn't calmed down. She starts asking him to unlock the door, begging to leave.
- Gail still stuck in the elevator tries and fails to get out of the elevator. Her plan to get the Roomba fails, and the shooting did nothing but get her injured. She then accepts that she may never see them again and empties her gun, and puts one last bullet in the gun.