Film: The Omega Man
"There's never a cop around when you need one."The second, and perhaps the best-known screen version of I Am Legend, The Omega Man was released in 1971 and directed by Boris Sagal. The film stars Charlton Heston as Robert Neville, a military scientist who saves himself at the last minute from the fallout of biological warfare between the Soviet Union and China. The end result is that he's now the last man on Earth, and so he spends his existence just trying to survive. This is complicated by a group of survivors, now mutated into albino mutants and led by the charismatic Matthias. "The Family," as they call themselves, have set out to eliminate all traces of civilization, Neville included.Has nothing to do with MegaMan: Star Force, we can assure you.
Robert Neville, the last man on Earth.
This work features examples of:
- And Then John Was a Zombie: At the climax, Lisa becomes a part of the Family.
- Apocalypse How: This was a result of Depopulation Bomb in the form of The Virus.
- Bittersweet Ending: On the one hand the last survivors have been given the cure to the disease, in the form of Neville's blood and Mathias is dead. On the other hand, so is Neville.
- Evil Albinos: The Family. The plague mutated into something that turned many of the survivors into albinos but it still kills in the long term.
- Evil Gloating The albinos can't stand bright light. The head of the Family is preparing to kill the hero in a darkened stadium at night. Head bad guy to followers: "Darkness is triumphant!". Then the stadium lights come on.
- Ghost City: Los Angeles. The establishing shots of a lifeless L.A. were achieved by filming on Sunday mornings when there was almost no traffic. It works for the most part except for one shot where the viewers can see another car moving in the distance, and a random pedestrian.
- In Name Only: Not even that really. But in the original book it's vampires, not mutants, Neville is an everyman, not a scientist-soldier and it's a lot more morally ambiguous.
- It Won't Turn Off: "THERE IS NO PHONE RINGING!"
- Last of His Kind: Initially, Neville thinks he is.
- Ludd Was Right: After the last scientist on Earth dies, the survivors leave the city to live lives of backbreaking agrarian toil in the countryside.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Matthias and Neville's exchangeMatthias: You are discarded. You are the refuse of the past.Neville: You are full of crap.
- Technology Marches On: Whilst it was probably very impressive and advanced at the time; today that infrared scope on the top of Neville's BAR is absolutely huge.
- Wall Slump: In a fountain