Comic Book: Omega Men
The Omega Men are a team of fictional extraterrestrial characters that appear in various cosmic comic books published by DC Comics. They first appeared in Green Lantern and were created by Marv Wolfman and Joe Stanton. They are often represented as a group of renegades hailing from various planets in the Vega system, fighting against the oppressive Citadel.Their most recent series, titled The Omega Men, launched in 2015 as part of the DC You initiative, which emphasized genre diversity and story over continuity. A Sneak Peek containing the series' prologue was made available digitally for free. The premise of the series sees White Lantern Kyle Rayner captured and apparently executed on public broadcast by a team of rebels calling themselves The Omega Men. The 2015 series is written by Tom King (also known for his work on Grayson) and illustrated by newcomer artist Barnaby Bagenda, and has been acclaimed by critics and fans alike.
The Omega Men contain examples of:
- Bait the Dog: Primus does this to both the audience and Kyle, misleading them to believe that he would save thousands of civilians that were selected for execution on behalf of his crimes. He doesn't.
- Faux Affably Evil: The Viceroy certainly falls into category, as he casually negotiates for the deaths of thousands of innocent lives as if he was haggling for a bank loan. The Omega Men themselves are arguably this as well, with Broot probably being the most genuinely kind.
- Five-Bad Band
- Honey Pot: Kalista does this to Kyle Rayner.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: The first issue was exceedingly light on exposition, expecting to audiences to be able to follow the narrative based on the artwork and contextual dialogue. While this was alienating for some readers who expected a narration-heavy story (as par for many traditional superhero comics), a lot of fans were won over by the dense storytelling, and the writer's respect for the audience.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A particularly dark example. The Omega Men are fighting against an evil oppressive regime, but they use very dirty tactics, manipulating those in the crossfire, and leaving thousands of innocents dead in their wake.