Film: The Evil
"Forgive me, but you are an endless source of amusement to me."The Evil is a 1978 horror film starring Richard Crenna.Professor C.J. Arnold and his wife Caroline have rented the old Vargas house for summer. They start renovating the place with volunteers, and soon discover that the house had something evil locked in its basement after unleashing it unknowingly.
Examples in this film:
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted. Sam, a Caucasian, is the first to die, Felicia is among the last.
- Clothing Damage: Felicia spends the last third of the film in nothing but a trench coat and underwear after a supernatural force violently rips her clothes off in an apparent rape attempt. Raymond's shirt is torn by...something...lurking on the staircase.
- Closed Circle: The house shuts its exits after Prof. Arnold removes the cross in the basement, locking everyone inside it.
- Death by Irony: Dwight is an electrician. Guess how he dies.
- Death by Mocking: Pete is the jokester of the group, and even pulls off the old "scare people by pretending to be dead" gag, and is surprised that people don't find it funny. Sure enough, he ends dead later in a failed escape attempt.
- Demonic Possession: Mary's dog Kaiser becomes possessed by the evil and runs away to kill its owner later.
- Evil Laugh: Supernatural attacks are accompanied by evil laughter echoing in the air.
- Fainting: Caroline faints after she hears the disembodied evil laugh after Mary's death.
- Forging Scene: After finding Emilio Vargas's exposition-providing Diary, Caroline sees a vision of a cross being forged in the fireplace.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Raymond gives a slap to Laurie when she becomes hysterical from all the supernatural business locks everyone inside the house.
- Haunted House: Vargas's ghost is still hanging around his old place to watch over the sealed Hell Gate and try to warn anyone about it who might get too close to it.
- High Voltage Death: An electric cable gets loose from the ceiling, wraps itself around Dwight and shocks him to death. Felicia gets a little too close to some electrified burglar bars.
- Hollywood Darkness: Blue lighting equals darkness so that the audience can see what is happening.
- Holy Burns Evil: Caroline saves Prof. Arnold from Satan's clutches by stabbing him with the cross that was used to seal him, which weakens him enough to for them to make their escape.
- Hope Spot: Raymond manages to get out of the house, and starts joyously running away from it, only to suddenly sink into the ground beneath which has suddenly turned into quicksand.
- Hostile Weather: Storm breaks out before the cast ends locked up inside the house.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: The area where Vargas built his house was called "Devil's Valley" by Native Americans.
- Kill the Cutie: Mary, Laurie, and Felicia, in that order.
- Light Is Not Good: After going through the Hell Gate to rescue Caroline, Prof. Arnold comes across an area which is bathed pure white light. Moreover, when he meets Satan himself, he is dressed completely in white.
- Locked into Strangeness: It is said tat Vargas's hair turned completely into white before he died.
- Man on Fire: Sam the caretaker burns to death in the opening sequence when he goes to investigate a strange noise in the basement, and the supposedly empty furnace suddenly sprouts flames on him.
- Ms Fan Service: While under attack by a supernatural force, one of the female characters has her clothes violently ripped off, revealing her undergarments. Subverted, since she spends the rest of her screen time draped in a coat.
- Peekaboo Corpse: Sam's burned body gives a scare to Felecia and Mary when they check a service lift out of curiosity.
- Rape as Drama: Played with. Supernatural forces leave Felecia half-naked and throw her onto a nearby cot, but they stop there.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: And God help you if you open it.
- Shock and Awe: A few characters get electrocuted and an attempt to escape by hooking electrical cables to the bars fails epically.
- Super Window Jump: An inviting window opens its cover to lure Raymond into his doom, and jumps throught the glass without second thought. After his death, it repairs itself and closes once more.
- Title Drop: Vargas's ghost admonishes Prof. Arnold by saying "I sealed the pit, and you released the evil!"
- Token Minority: Felecia is the sole African American member among the mostly Caucasian cast.