An upcoming film based on the extremely successful video game franchise by Blizzard Entertainment
; more specifically, it is based on the first game in the series, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
. It is being produced by Legendary Pictures
with Duncan Jones
Set primarily on the world of Azeroth the story will follow the events of the First War between humans and orcs as seen through the eyes of the great heroes of both the Alliance and the Horde.
Currently set to be released on March 11, 2016, the film stars Ben Foster in the role of Medivh, with Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Dominic Cooper, Rob Kazinsky, Dennis Haysbert, Toby Kebbell, Daniel Wu, Felicity Jones, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Burkely Duffield, Hiroyuki Sanada and Clancy Brown
in as-of-yet unspecified roles.
- Adaptation Distillation: Chris Metzen has compared it to Marvel Comics' Ultimate brand.
- Ascended Extra: Durotan. While he is an important character it was established that he didn't play a major part in the First War. In the movie he will be a main character on the side of the Orcs.
- Cool Sword: The Dragon Sword which is used by the Alliance.
- Do Not Spoil This Ending: Anyone with even a basic knowledge of Warcraft lore will know who the major characters are, the main plot points, major twists, who survives, who wins and who loses.
- Doomed by Canon: Things will not end well for the Humans.
- Drop the Hammer: The legendary Doomhammer, used by orc champions for generations.
- During the War: The story is set during the First War between Orcs and Humans
- Human-Focused Adaptation: This is what early drafts of the script would have done but recent statements by the director confirm that the Orcs and Humans will get equal story time.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Lothar, Knight-Champion of Stormwind
- Live-Action Adaptation
- Our Orcs Are Different: Given that Blizzard is well known for establishing this trope, it's safe to say that the orcs in this film will be more fleshed out than the ones depicted in The Lord of the Rings.
- Portal Door: How the orcs get to Azeroth in the first place
- Scenery Porn: The concept art looks gorgeous, especially Dalaran◊ and Stormwind◊. Not surprising, as some of the set designers have apparently worked on Star Wars.
- The Hero: Unlike most war stories, there is one for each side in the war. Lothar for the Humans and Durotan for the Orcs.