is a British horror comedy film from 1994.
Record producer Max Taylor wins a mansion in England in a game of poker from a man named Callum Change (Christopher Lee
). When he, with his family, and later his brother Johnny with the hitchhikers he picked up, arrive at the premises, they come contact with its deadly supernatural jokester within its walls known as the Funny Man.
This film has the examples of:
- Antagonist Title: No name is given to the villainous jester, but he is credited as The Funny Man.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The Funny Man frequently makes comments to the audience about his victims.
- Captain Ersatz: Thelma, with her glasses, orange sweater and haircut, looks exactly like Velma from Scooby-Doo. Even when Johnny says her name out loud, he says Velma instead of Thelma.
- Cartoon Bomb: The puppeteer loses half of his head when he finds himself in a Punch and Judy show where the main characters plant a bomb labelled as a bomb on top of his head.
- Death by Irony: Most of the deaths are related to the characters' hobbies and dreams. One example is Thelma, an avid birdwatcher, who is given a death thematically similar to the other birdwatching hobby; duck hunting.
- Destination Defenestration: After Johnny learns about that his brother Max stiffed him a job in The Rolling Stones, he appears before him and flies through a window.
- Epigraph: The film opens on a quote from The Bible, specifically from the book of Corinthians.
- Eye Scream: Funny Man sticks a heel of a high-heeled shoe to the Hard Man's left eye.
- Fingertip Drug Analysis: When Max finds himself in a dark space with a mysterious pile of white powder on front of him, he tastes it to make sure if it's really cocaine.
- Gag Boobs: When Funny Man appears as a stripper to the Hard Man, he has a pair of very fake and pointy breasts.
- Gag Penis: Funny Man has a rather exaggerated codpiece.
- Genre Savvy: Thanks to her Tarot cards, Psychic Commando is aptly prepared to confront the Funny Man.
- Guns Akimbo: Funny Man confronts Psychic Commando with two revolvers in hand.
- Jerkass: The Hard Man, who is constantly a dick to the puppeteer.
- Laughably Evil: The Funny Man is essentially a British Freddy Krueger.
- Male Gaze: As the hitchhikers help Max to move the crates from his van, the camera lingers on Thelma's exposed knickers.
- Man in White: Callum Change, whenever he is shown, wears a completely white outfit.
- Meaningful Name: Change, a gambler who has decorated his house with card motifs.
- Motifs: Cards, gambling, Punch and Judy, jokers and jesters.
- My Card: When Max comes face to face with the Funny Man, he asks who he is. Funny Man presents a joker card and says; "My card."
- No Name Given: Aside from Thelma, no names are given to the hitchhikers that Johnny picks up. The credits name them as The Psychic Commando, The Crap Puppeteer and The Hard Man.
- The Stinger: After the credits, the Funny Man appears to adress the audience once more.
- Title Drop: "You're a funny man Mr. Taylor. But I have met funnier. And you will too."
- Villainous Harlequin: The Funny Man himself.
- Voice Changeling: Funny Man mimics Johnny's voice as he speaks to his parents behind a door.
- Would Hurt a Child: Funny Man's first victim is Max's son Harry.