What are your boundaries?Frontier(s) is a French horror film directed by Xavier Gens.In the midst of a right-wing extremist being elected in Paris, riots spark the street. A group of thieves take advantage of the chaos to pull off a robbery before fleeing to a nearby hostel near the border. Unfortunately for them, the place is run by a group of neo-Nazi cannibals. Things get messy. Really messy.The film was set to be part of the After Dark Horrorfest film festival but the MPAA slapped an NC-17 on it and, rather than edit the film, After Dark decided to give it an unrated limited theatrical release elsewhere.
This film provides examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Goetz is a maniac to put it mildly.
- Arranged Marriage: Part of the family's way of extending their bloodline.
- Big Bad:Karl Von Geisler Sr. but he dies first.
- Broken Heel - Von Geisler cuts the Achilles tendon of one of the thieves.
- Body Horror - Plenty, but Farid's death comes to mind the most.
- Heel–Face Turn - Eva follows this path. She's a kind, yet obedient, member of the family to start out with, but she switches allegiances when she saves Final Girl Yasmine from Karl by shooting him dead.
- Final Girls - While movie technically has two final girls, neither fit the wholesome image of the final girl (at least by association). Yasmine is pregnant member of a group of thieves, and Eva is a kind but obedient member of the cannibalistic family that's killed Yasmine's companions.
- Fingore - A character's fingers are blown off with a shotgun.
- Forceful Kiss - Karl Jr. gives one to Yasmine.
- Inn of No Return - It's run by a family of cannibalistic neo-Nazis. Meaning, once a guest checks in, there's no checking out.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Alex who after acting like a douche to everybody sacrifices himself to help Yasmine escape. He fails in the immediate aftermath and succeeds in the end.
- Noble Demon: Hans. He is no nice guy but he shows less malice than others and also is nice to Eva.
- Shout-Out - To The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), in particular the dinner scene near the end.
- Take That - Largely against Sarkozy-era France and many of its anti-Muslim policies.
- Traumatic Haircut - Yasmine has most of her hair cut off to be presentable for the rest of the family.
- Politically Incorrect Villain - Well, they're neo-Nazis, so what did you expect?