Characters: Jo Jos Bizarre Adventure Part 8
Main characters index
open/close all folders
"Josuke Higashikata" (Stand: Soft & Wet)
A muscular youth who Yasuho happens upon one day, wearing nothing but a hat and half-buried near some wall eyes. While he (mostly
) knows the things any normal person would, he is completely amnesic regarding his own identity. Along with his quirky personality, he has numerous odd physical attributes, such as a star-shaped birthmark on his back and four testicles
. Yasuho decides to name him after her childhood dog, Josuke, and decides to help him investigate his identity. Along the way, she sets him up with family friends the Higashikatas as his guardians.
As the investigation continues, Josuke learns that any two similar objects buried near wall eyes will fuse into one entity; he is a combination of the mysterious psychopath Yoshikage Kira and an unidentified second person. The same applies to his stand, which combines the abilities of both Kira's and the second man's stands
Josuke's stand is Soft & Wet, which allows him to generate bubbles from his body. When these bubbles pop after touching something, they can rob that object of some attribute, ranging from scent to water content to friction. A second bubble can release this attribute or imbue a different object with it.
While he is named Josuke after the protagonist of Diamond Is Unbreakable
, it should be noted that his name is actually written differently (part 4 仗助 versus part 8 定助).
- Accidental Pervert: Asks Yasuho is she's wearing padding and unintentionally hugs her for too long.
- Adorkable: The guy is so goofy that it's cute. For instance, the way he eats buns.
- Amnesiacs Are Innocent: Although Josuke isn't exactly childlike, he has somewhat strange misconceptions about many day-to-day things - for example, he doesn't seem to grasp that you sleep on top of a mattress, not between it and the bedspring.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Bad Ass: He is a force to be reckoned with in battle. As to be expected from a Jojo hero, he makes clever use of an incredibly weird power, can think of, and execute ridiculously complex battle strategies within a few, brief moments.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: His vast intellect is inversely proportional to his grasp on common sense.
- Composite Character: Taken to ridiculous extremes. While he's technically the AU counterpart of Josuke, early on, we are lead to believe his true identity is Yoshikage Kira. Later on, not only do we find out that Kira himself is a Composite Character of Kira and Jotaro, but that Josuke himself is a Fusion Dance (i.e. the literal version of this trope), being a synthesis of Kira and an unnamed man...
- In terms of his character design, his face and build are almost identical to Jotaro as drawn in the new art style, he spouts his "ORA!" and Rapid Fire Fisticuffs when fighting, wears sailor clothes referencing Jotaro's marine profession(though those originally belonged to Kira, who was a ship's doctor), and occasionally bears Jotaro's "raised hand/halt" insignia.
- His personality has a lot of similarities to Kira from "Diamond is Unbreakable", being extremely analytical and mathematically inclined, with some really weird habits such as sleeping under mattresses for comfort. Though he's not amoral or deviant.
- He also has a strong value for friendship and Guile Hero tendencies like his actual namesake, Josuke. It helps that their Stands work more by affecting the environment than actually combating enemies, so they go about fighting in the same manner.
- Contrasting Reboot Main Character: Josuke from Part 4 is a good contender for the most normal main character in the series. Aside from the circumstances of his birth, his ire towards anyone who insults his hair, and his gambling habit, he was basically an easy-going high school student with a good heart. Josuke from Part 8, on the other hand, is a good candidate for the weirdest main character, being physically abnormal, amnesiac, behaviorally eccentric, and the result of a Fusion Dance.
- Depending on the Artist: He's supposed to be built like Jotaro—i.e., very buff. This holds up most of the time since Araki has drawn images of Jotaro in his new art style and they are indeed consistent with Josuke's appearance. But then he shows up in the All Star Battle videogame, and he's one of the scrawniest members of the cast while Jotaro is extremely muscular as per the older artstyle, and it's impossible to tell they're supposed to be identical, let alone similar.
- It's there even within the manga itself. For instance, his introduction and some images like the profile pic above make it very clear that he is strongly built. At other points, the strange cut of his shirt completely hides his musculature and makes him seem very lean and thin.
- Easy Amnesia/Trauma-Induced Amnesia: "Josuke" claims he has no recollection of even his name. As we soon discover, it's not so much that he lost his memories—since he's the combination of two people who were buried near the Wall Eyes, he may just not have any memories.
- Fan Nickname: "Gappy", referring to the gap between his front teeth. Jo2uke is also common.
- Flower Motifs: On the August 2012 cover of Ultra Jump, while Yasuho is surrounded by roses, Josuke is surrounded by orchids. "Orchid" is Greek for "testicle".
- Fusion Dance: "Josuke" is the fusion of Yoshikage Kira and someone else, resulting in four testicles, eyes split down the middle in two colors, a tongue split down the middle into two merged but still different and uneven halves, and most recently his JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle appearance has a costume color that highlights how his skin is also two-toned, although in a patchy manner. Soft & Wet is also the combination of Killer Queen and the mystery second person's Stand, and the bubble-themed visualization of Soft Wet's ability splits down the middle into two uneven halves.
- Genius Ditz: He's very good with numbers and extremely tactical despite having no memories to work off of.
- Genre Savvy: While running from a chilly stand, he comments that in horror movies, running to the second floor is a bad idea.
- Another great moment is when he's investigating a mysterious library against the owner's wishes and he needs to make sure that no one can tell he was there. He puts everything back in order, and once he leaves the room the panels ominously zoom in on a bookmark he overlooked. Cue Josuke barging back in, grabbing the bookmark, and placing it where it originally was. Close shave!
- However, the family's maid Nijimura still notices that the bookmark is not quite in the right place.
- Hello, Sailor!: Let's face it, he may not be gay as far as can be told, but he's totally rocking that sailor fetish outfit.
- Humanoid Abomination: Aside from the four balls issue, he has eyes split down the middle in two colors and his uneven tongue as a result of being a Fusion Dance.
- I Am Who?: Currently Josuke's motivation is to discover who he really is. What is known for sure right now is that he is the result of a fusion between Yoshikage Kira and some other person, and his Stand is also a result of a fusion between that other person's Stand and Kira's own. In fact, Kira's stand is shown to be Killer Queen in this universe as well. Though its powers were slightly different.
- Liquid Assets: Soft & Wet can form soap bubbles that when popped, can plunder anything from whatever they were on. So far he was able to steal water from a women's body, causing her to become thirsty, to stealing the sound in a room, making it soundproof. It can even steal stuff such as hair, and even small wounds. When they pop, they release whatever they stole to whatever popped them, making the noise they kept from sounding sound, placing hair on someone else, etc.
- Memory Gambit: How he defeats Daiya.
- Naked on Arrival
- Name's the Same: He shares the same name and character traits as Josuke from Part 4 to imply he is a reincarnation of him, but recent revelations have put this into doubt
- Nice Guy: He's very sweet and earnest to people who haven't screwed him over yet. Especially to Yasuho.
- Nice Hat: A sailor cap that is apparently a Joestar tradition, having started all the way back with Johnny Joestar, shortly after the end of "Steel Ball Run".
- Serial Escalation/Bigger Is Better in Bed: He has four testicles. This is a side effect of his being a Fusion Dance.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Though he speaks perfectly casually depending on who he's with.
- Sherlock Scan: Presumably a take on the original Kira's somewhat impressive analytical abilities.
- Technicolor Eyes: Looking closely shows that each eye is split down the middle and a different color on each half of the iris. This is because each eye is actually two fused together.
- Vague Age: Younger than 29, could pass for a high-schooler, but also looks and acts a little older than college-age Yasuho and Joushuu.
- Would Hit a Girl: Multiple times. Very quickly. As she had been trying to kill him and nearly succeeded.
Yasuho Hirose (Stand: Paisley Park)
A girl who discovers an unnamed naked man near one of the mysterious "wall-eyes" and ends up embroiled in the mystery surrounding his identity. She also develops a long-ranged stand named Paisley Park. Initially, it controls the GPS app on Josuke's phone to guide him away from one of his enemies, and similarly gets her to where she wants to be even though she is not in control of it yet.
- Adorkable: Namely her reaction when she sees Josuke again at the hopsital.
- Alcoholic Parent /Parental Neglect: Her mother.
- Brain Bleach: She really wanted some after getting a good look at Josuke's...nonstandard anatomy.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Not as much as Josuke, but she definitely has her share of out there, ditzy moments.
- Deuteragonist: She does most of the detective work helping Josuke find his memories, and does about half the narration.
- Guile Hero: In comparison to Jousuke, who himself has many of those traits. While Jousuke gets involved with more Stand conflicts, Yasuho spends her time puzzling out the wall-eyes, the Higashikata and Joestar families, and Josuke's past. Paisley Park is also a bit of a Guile Hero, being an independent stand who prefers to stay away from fighting and manipulates others to help.
- Hair Decorations
- The Ingenue: Subverted, more or less. Josuke seems to be expecting this, since every time Josuke tells her to look away, she does, which Josuke uses as an opportunity to beat Oujirou for info. But considering he's beating up Oujirou in the same room she's in, she ends up watching the whole thing anyway, which says as much about Josuke as it does about her.
- Mission Control: Occasionally, since the Higashikatas barred her from seeing Josuke which forces her into long distance contact. Because Josuke has trouble adjusting to the world as an amnesiac, she often guides him over the phone. However, the story often follows what she's doing at the same time, and both threads tend to be plot relevant.
- Mundane Utility: Paisley Park mostly just unconsciously helps optimize web searches and GPS tracking at first.
- Name's the Same: Named after Koichi Hirose from Part 4 and has likewise gained a Stand she can't control yet.
- The Nicknamer: She nicknamed our unnamed hero Josuke, because he reminded her of her dog.
- Rose-Haired Girl
- Semantic Superpower: Under great stress, her stand's power of "guidance" can directly implant hints into other peoples' minds, or help them remember important details.
Joushuu Higashikata (Stand: Nut King Call)
The second son of the Higashikata family. His stand can materialize nuts and bolts onto objects. It can then unscrew the bolts at will, at which point the object falls apart as if it was actually being held together with those bolts.
- Anime Hair: It's a bit difficult to describe. Apparently he only has hair follicles on the very top of his head and his hair grows in very neat "sheets", so it looks like he has a couple pieces of black construction paper glued to his otherwise bald head.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He really, really dislikes Josuke for "stealing his girl", which is basically a conclusion he jumped to all by himself.
- Defrosting Ice King: Warms up to Josuke somewhat, while still being as much of an ass as he was before. The fact that abandoning him for a couple of bucks and promising to treat him to a meal after he's bailed out of jail may actually be seen as a positive development for the character says a lot about Joshuu.
- Dumbass Teenage Son: He's vindictive, he's whiny, he's self-absorbed, and he's a pervert with a comically powerful self-serving memory. He definitely holds the Idiot Ball tighter than anyone else in his family could.
- Expy: To Yukako Yamagishi. He has an unhealthy obsession with someone named Hirose, jumps to conclusions, attempts to solve his "problems" with violence, and becomes less hostile after being beaten.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: his Stand basically makes screws everywhere, on anything. He can screw things together, or take things apart by unscrewing them (by taking the bolt off). Like most simple Jo Jo Stands, it's absolutely dangerous - Joshuu accidentally unscrews a thug's hands from his wrists when it automatically protects him. And then screws them back on the wrong way around.
- Jerkass: He's a whiny, self-absorbed brat.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Out of all the Higashikatas that have been given focus, he's the only one with almost no knowledge about the family's supernatural side. It's pathetic when you consider that the baby isn't left in the dark, yet Joshuu is.
- Justified as Tsurugi is the heir of the family and needs to understand why he is crossdressing.
- No Social Skills
- Unknown Rival: Josuke's.
- Wild Card: At this point, no one knows what side he'll end up on, when all is said and done.
- Yandere: He attempts to bash Josuke's head in with a rock when he sees him with Yasuho for the first time. Used as a Situation Finish in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle.
The Alternate Universe
counterpart of Holly Kujo, and mother of JoJolion's version of Yoshikage Kira
- Cloudcuckoolander: This version of Holly is a bit off. It turns out that a large portion of her brain, along with a number of other organs, have been surgically removed for reasons unknown. However, the doctors have not found any surgery scars.
- Cool Shades
- CovertPervert: She takes a very noticeable interest in Yasuho because she supposedly looks like a porn star in a magazine she's been reading.
- Nice Hat
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: She bears a striking resemblance to Lady Gaga.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It's all but outright stated that she's more aware of what the hell is going on than most.
Yoshikage Kira (Stand: Name unknown)
A ship's surgeon and this continuity's version of the main villain from Part 4 (Diamond is Not Crash
). Here, he is the son of one Yoshiteru Kira, rather than Yoshihiro
as in the original timeline, and his mother is Holly Joestar, making him a member of the Joestar line.
He was at first thought to be the protagonist's true identity, but it's soon shown that the truth is far more complicated. He died under mysterious circumstances a few days before the start of the story and was buried along with another unknown individual near the mystical Wall-Eyes, creating Josuke from a fusion of their body parts.
While it's unconfirmed that he's a Serial Killer
as he was in Diamond Is Unbreakable
, his apartment, where he saves and catalogs his nail clippings and obsessively stocks green foods, and firsthand accounts of his personality would imply that he's at least a complete psychopath.
His stand is so far unnamed but resembles Killer Queen from Diamond Is Unbreakable
. Its power is generating exploding bubbles.
- Break Them by Talking: Talks Oujirou into biting his fingertips clean off to prove himself a man, for no apparent reason.
- Composite Character: In the Alternate Universe, Yoshiteru Kira married Holly Joestar, so as a result their son resembles both Jotaro and the original Yoshikage.
- Dead All Along
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Kira is a nasty piece of work, but he was apparently trying to save his mother's life before his death. Holly Joestar was dying of a disease that would harden parts of her body (apparently the same disease that afflicts first born Higashikatas). It is implied that Kira somehow noticed the disease in his mother in its early stages when it was still in the brain and, possibly in desperation, used his stand to destroy those parts of her brain, explaining the mysterious holes in her x-rays as well as her brain damage.
- Identical Stranger: Looks like an older Josuke. In fact, a DNA test shows that there's a 95.8% chance that Kira and Josuke are the same person! This is because "Josuke" is the fusion Yoshikage Kira and someone else.
- Mythology Gag: His stand's ability is highly reminiscent of the Killer Queen/Stray Cat tandem attack, shown in the final battle of Part IV.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Unlike Josuke, his name is written exactly like it was in part 4, so he still has a given name meaning "lucky shadow" and a family name that sounds like "killer".
- Narcissist: He had casts of his hands made, since they're so beautiful.
- The Reveal: Yoshikage Kira is Holly's son, not Jotaro — and 'Josuke' is a fusion of Kira and someone else.
- Stuff Blowing Up: His stand power: soap bubbles that cause explosions.
- Tsurime Eyes: The art style doesn't really feed into the tsurime/tareme dichotomy, but this is the main point where his features differ from Josuke's; Kira's eyes are cold and much sharper than Josuke's.
Kyou Nijimura Joestar-Kira(?) (Stand: Born This Waynote )
The young but stern maid to the Higashikata household. She is the daughter of Holly and the younger sister of Yoshikage Kira
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Determinator: Once you trigger Born This Way, he won't stop trying to freeze/impale/run over you.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: The stand warps the environment, especially leaves, to become extremely cold. Though it's subverted, as Nijimura is not really evil.
- Heel-Face Turn
- An Ice Person
- Jump Scare: The stand manifests itself whenever its victim opens a door (or anything else for that matters).
- Name's the Same: Named after Okuyasu Nijimura from Part 4 who possesses a powerful Stand and becomes Josuke's ally.
- Not So Stoic: She's seen stonefaced until Josuke confronts her about why she doesn't want him to see Holly Joestar.
- Semantic Superpower: Her stand can appear when anything is opened, including removing the cap of a pen.
- You Shall Not Pass: She is trying to stop Josuke from reaching Holly Joestar.
Oujirou Sasame (Stand: Fun Fun Fun)
A man who despises Yoshikage Kira, staking out his apartment to attack him when he came home. His Stand is Fun Fun Fun. If Oujirou is standing above his target, he can completely control any limbs they have injured.
- Expy: The limb control suggests that Fun Fun Fun is this continuity's counterpart to Hazamada's Surface.
- Fingore: Kira somehow manipulated him into doing this to himself, which is the reason for his grudge against him.
- People Puppets: His Stand power.
Daiya Higashikata (Stand: California King Bed)
The youngest daughter of the Higashikata household. She is blind and loves classic rock, and is completely infatuated with Josuke. Her Stand is California King Bed, which allows her to set a rule. If her target breaks that rule, they will lose memories that will be contained within chess pieces
Norisuke Higashikata IV
The patriarch of the Higashikata family. Nijimura suspects that Norisuke knows what happened to Holly and who Josuke's other half is.
- Anime Hair: While Josuke has too many balls on his crotch, Norisuke has too many balls in his hair.
- Big Bad: Events are playing up to Norisuke being behind several events in the arc.
- Shadow Archetype: To the main character in a sense. His given name was also Josuke before taking the title of "Norisuke", and his mother's name was Tomoko. All with different kanji, of course.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Until he was 12.
The eldest son of the Higashikata family. Aloof and often disappears. Has a wife Mitsuba and a daughter Tsurugi.
- Theme Naming: All of the women of the Higashikata family have playing card themed names. Jobin's wife Mitsuba is the Suit of Clubs (mitsuba is Japanese for "Three-Leaves", resembling the shape of the Clubs).
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Until he was twelve.
The eldest daughter of the Higashikata family. She works as a fashion model and when she first meets Josuke she tries to sell him a magazine she appears in.
- Dumb Blonde: She ruins a family trip to Hawaii by not getting her passport. She thought Hawaii was part of Japan because both Pearl Harbor (真珠湾) and Kamehameha (亀破波) are written in kanji.note
- Expy: In looks, she's practically a Gender Flip of Leone Abbachio.
- Theme Naming: All of the women of the Higashikata family have playing card themed names. Hato is the Suit of Hearts.
Tsurugi Higashikata(Stand: Paper Moon)
The nine year old daughter of Jobin and Mitsuba, who turns out to be a boy, fulfilling an odd Higashikata family tradition.
- Creepy Child
- Expy: Little Tsurugi bears an awfully close resemblance to Shizuka Joestar, with her large sunglasses and heavy makeup. Mitsuba also looks incredibly similar to Trish Una. Subverted, as Tsurugi is actually a boy, whereas it was made very clear that Shizuka was female.
- His/Her stand is also somewhat similar to Aya's Cinderella stand, in regards to changing faces.
- Paper Master: Tsurugi's apparent Stand powers involve the art of origami, as he is found covered in them, and he uses a cootie catcher to easily predict information about Yasuho and Josuke. He later manages to fold up Yasuho's phone into a frog, which then leaps at her and infects her with a mysterious mental illness.
- You ALL Look Familiar: Weaponized. Tsurugi's stand appears to be able to be able to afflict its victims with an abstract form of visual agnosia that makes them unable to differentiate between objects that they're looking for, such as a close friend or a specific store sign. He claims that it's because his victims don't understand who they are in their hearts.
- Theme Naming: All of the women of the Higashikata family have playing card themed names. Tsurugi is the Suit of Spades (tsurugi is Japanese for "Sword", an alternate name of the Spades suit).
- Wholesome Crossdresser: And by "daughter" we actually mean "son". Turns out it's a Higashikata custom to dress firstborn sons as girls until they're 12 to protect them from evil curses.
The Gingko Trees of Shakedown Road (Stand: Les Feuilles [Autumn Leaves])
This stand can make a target slip along a trail of gingko leaves but instantly return to their original location, before the target themselves can notice. It seems that anyone can freely manipulate the Stand ability and accuse someone else of causing some kind of damage, using the Stand to have the ginkgo leaves make the damage real. The target is then extorted into covering the repairs. The phenomenon is only seen in one area of town, which has become infamous and is nicknamed "Shakedown Road". Josuke and Joushuu have difficulty pinning down the actual user; according to the townspeople, anyone
can manipulate the phenomenon as they see fit, and there is an unspoken rule that anyone can extort someone else after being extorted themselves.
- Expy: The Stand's current application is similar to The Lock from Diamond Is Unbreakable, except the guilt tripping isn't forced by the Stand and more everyone else on the road.
- The most recent chapter shows that there are hundreds of little Stands moving around the leaves, much like Harvest.
- Mundane Utility: The user mainly seems to just use it to make dirty money.
- Place of Power: While everyone knows about Shakedown Road and the strange "rules" that surround it, it's treated like a natural phenomenon since nobody can't see the stand itself.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: One possible truth of the matter is that the Ginkgo trees themselves are the "user", the stand being just an aftereffect of the Holy corpse's influence on the local area that stuck around after Johnny attempted to use it to save his wife and child.
- Punch Clock Villain: When they're not wringing coins out of unwitting suckers, the people on Shakedown Road are somewhat decent, for the most part.
- Winds of Destiny, Change
Yotsuyu Yagiyama (stand: Unknown)
Self-described as both an architect and as someone obsessed with social status. He is first seen assaulting Yasuho in the Higashikata household without the family's knowledge. He is also apparently the man responsible for taking memories away.
- Call Back: Not only does his name share a kanji with Rohan Kishibe, but he has similar eyes and headdress to Diavolo's and Scolippi's, respectively.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Genre Savvy: Knows of the existence of stands and knows how to coerce a stand to come out of their users, even those that are automatic.
- Humanoid Abomination: One of the first things he does is manhandle a stand, which is usually only possible BY stands, although aspects of his own Stand do seem to pop up outside of his body. Similarly, he can make magic plastic-wrap come out of his eyes(though that's presumably a stand-ability like Josuke's producing bubbles or Jolyne's producing string from their bodies) which is decidedly freaky in presentation.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: He explicitly uses waterboarding (although without the board) and threatens to use a drill or other nasty implement on Yasuho.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Possibly necessary, since he was waterboarding Yasuho while trying to talk to her.
- Rummage Sale Reject: His clothes are weird as hell, and include what seems to be a breast plate worn over a tunic worn over a black spike-covered body-suit, as well as spiked shoulder pads on top of all that.
- Stalker with a Crush: He doesn't want Josuke to be sad because he claims that Josuke will die again, and therefore, wants to erase Josuke's memories again. And he's been stalking both Josuke and Yasuho the whole time.