is an American Latin-style rock band formed in the late 1960s by lead guitarist and namesake Carlos Santana
. They first gained recognition after playing at Woodstock
, and became famous for pioneering a fusion of rock, salsa and jazz music. Their popularity dwindled after the 70s but they made a huge comeback in the late 90s with the Supernatural
album and the hit single "Smooth". Throughout their history Carlos Santana has been their only permanent member and from the Supernatural
album through All That I Am
lead vocals have (mostly) been provided by a rotating roster of guest musicians.
Also worth noting is that in 1973 former Santana members Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie formed Journey
, which started out as a Santana-like band but went on to become one of the biggest Arena Rock
bands of The Eighties
- Santana (1969)
- Abraxas (1970)
- Santana III (1971)
- Caravanserai (1972)
- Welcome (1973)
- Borboletta (1974)
- Amigos (1976)
- Festival (1977)
- Inner Secrets (1978)
- Marathon (1979)
- Zebop! (1981)
- Shango (1982)
- Beyond Appearances (1985)
- Freedom (1987)
- Spirits Dancing in the Flesh (1990)
- Milagro (1992)
- Supernatural (1999)
- Shaman (2002)
- All That I Am (2005)
- Shapeshifter (2012)
- Corazon (2014)
- Career Resurrection: In the late 90s.
- Cover Album: Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time
- Cover Version: Many of their songs on the early years, including "Black Magic Woman" by Fleetwood Mac and "She's Not There", originally by The Zombies from their album Begin Here.
- Creator Couple: Cindy Blackman-Santana plays drums on Corazon.
- Egocentric Team Naming: He named his band after himself.
- Epic Rocking: "Soul Sacrifice" and "Dance Sister Dance (Baila Mi Hermana)", among others.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: The instrumental "Soul Sacrifice" has one after about five minutes; a repeated keyboard theme fades out, then the guitar brings it back in, going on to a keyboard-hammering sound and a reprise of the main theme, then to another fake outro with a sudden stop, and then the real outro comes in.
- Genre Roulette: Shaman, big time.
- I Am the Band: Carlos Santana is the only stable member.
- Instrumentals: A lot of their work. "Soul Sacrifice", "Europa" "Samba pa' Ti" are among the more well known ones.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Supernatural and All That I Am. Of course, given Carlos doesn't sing, there's always gonna be many a Guest Star Party Member, but those were intentionally built on famous collaborators.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Usually between 1 and 4, while their harder songs hit 5. Their heaviest song is probably "America" (a Nu Metal song featuring P.O.D.), which falls around 6 or 7.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Rock, salsa, blues,... it is all mixed together.
- Revolving Door Band: The band's website has a list of the many former members.
- Song Style Shift: Their version of "Black Magic Woman" speeds up for an epic instrumental outro.