Web Video / Santana
is an original series created by Lexo TV
, with episodes featured on YouTube
. It is a Slice of Life
puppet show that revolves around the life of Santana, an ill-tempered Trinidadian man who lives on Lexo Street with his wife, Janice. What really stands out about this show is that all of the characters all have serious issues that are Played for Laughs
. It's a rather hilarious show especially to Trinidadians, some of whom can definitely relate to one or two of the characters in some way or another
Not to be confused with singer Carlos Santana
or his band
This series includes examples of:
- Berserk Button: Santana has a LOT. Two that stand out are Narine peeking over his wall, and Janice not making dinner for him.
- As of "Simon", you can add messing with his gay brother to the mix.
- Patsy also deserves special mention here, as hers happens to be anytime Narine does something stupid.
- Refuse to pay Sookdeo after he does a job for you, and he will kill you.
- Big Bad: Sookdeo becomes this in the Movie. Nice going, Pastor Stewart.
- Blatant Lies: Every word that comes out of Charlene's mouth to Chang in "Meet Sookdeo". Here's an example:
Charlene: "CATARACTS. IN HIS SHOULDER!"
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Sookdeo after killing Ragoo in "Meet Sookdeo":
Sookdeo: (turns to camera,still holding his shotgun) "WHAT ALLYUH WATCHING?"
- Broken Aesop: Hey, kids! Feel free to be totally disrespectful to everyone, your mother will totally believe you if you act cute and helpless afterwards!
- The Bus Came Back: THE BEES return in the Movie! Yes, THOSE bees!
- The Casanova: Pastor Stewart is implied to be this with members of his congregation.
- Character Development: Santana in the movie, who begins to feel deep regret for losing Patsy, spares Pastor Stewart when he had the chance to kill him, and respects Patsy's decision to marry the Pastor, promising to treat the next woman he meets right. In later episodes, he has a clearly more toned-down demeanour. Mind you, he's still a badass, but far less of a Jerk Ass than he was when the series started.
- Cluster F-Bomb: A powerful one occurs when a woman crosses Pastor Stewart.
- Continuity Nod: Santana throws a tantrum over Janice not making him food in "Patsy". In "Kizzy", she's seen talking to her friend about the incident.
- Ragoo's brother is seen mourning him in the Movie, a nod to the scene where Sookdeo kills him in "Meet Sookdeo".
- Leroy is exposed to a severe Cluster F-Bomb in "Pastor". Guess what happens in "Leroy"?
- Corrupt Cop: Sookoo. He arrested an old man who doesn't even drive for speeding. Also, despite being told twice that Santana was not responsible for killing his father, he still insists that Santana did it.
- Creator Cameo: Roger Alexis appears at the end of the "Kizzy" promo.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Chang.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: A Running Gag is Narine doing something that ticks his wife Patsy off, followed by her off-screen pummeling of him with him screaming like a girl.
- Easily Forgiven: Both Santana and Janice in this video, by each other.
- Everyone Has Standards: Probably due to his Character Development after the movie, but Santana clearly does not like the idea of his friend, Deadly, producing a CD that contains nothing but violently homophobic lyrics. The fact that his brother Simon is gay has a lot to do with it.
- Foreshadowing: The '666' in the font used for "Leroy". Listen to the music at the end.
- Gargle Blaster: Santana's virility drink, the "Hiroshima", which contains ''penguin balls and alligator farts''. It even causes a flame burst when Narine drinks it.
- Gonk: Ragoo is pretty ugly compared to the rest of the cast, and his voice sounds like he swallowed a can of helium.
- The old man in the prison when Santana gets locked up in "Just ah sip 2" is rather hideous.
- His brother, Raj looks just like him, too, but doesn't have the awful helium voice.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Narine, NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Not really. Turns out, he never got shot trying to save Patsy, but her bawling hysterically and thinking he's dead gives him a convenient excuse to "take a break".
- Hypocritical Humor: Pastor Stewart would often quote Scripture and good values, but the episodes featuring him caught him with his pants down. Once quite literally.
- Irony: Professional killer Sookdeo, who declares nobody being able to touch him at the start of the Movie in front of Ragoo's brother Raj, ends up getting shot dead by Raj offscreen at the end of the film.
- Jerk Ass: Santana toward Janice, at times.
- Charlene in "Meet Sookdeo" towards Chang. Fleecing him out of money before selling out to Santana for a six pack of beers? Definitely this.
- Pastor Stewart is this in the Movie in spades. Marrying Janice to to spite Amanda, cheating on Janice with Amanda, and extorting a churchgoer for money for forgiveness.
- Karma Houdini: Leroy.
- Pastor Stewart in the Movie.
- Kick the Dog: Kizzy tells Janice to break up with Santana just so she could take him for herself.
- Killed Off for Real: Ragoo in "Meet Sookdeo".
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Narine, after taking Santana's "Hiroshima", which was supposed to have the opposite effect.
- Nosy Neighbor: Narine. Santana even gets pissed off to the point of tossing a bottle at him.
- Oh, Crap!: Pastor Stewart's reaction when Santana catches him red-handed in "Thou Shalt Not Horn".
- And again in the Movie when his interfering with Sookdeo's wife comes back to bite him in the ass.
- Kizzy telling Santana that she's pregnant in the end of the Movie.
- Parental Abandonment: Janice reveals this to Pastor Stewart in the movie. Somewhat subverted a little later in the conversation when she says her father tried to get back into her life, but to her, the damage has been done.
- Product Placement: Stag beer has been showing up a lot in the more recent videos, complete with closeups of them when they're whipped out.
- Professional Killer: Sookdeo is this in the movie. Subverted in one instance where he offs Ragoo for free after not being paid by him.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Constable Sookoo embarks on one against Santana when the "Hiroshima" winds up killing his father. He's wrong, Santana gave him cucumber juice, and his father actually died of a heart attack, not that he cares.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Narine, when Patsy gets mad with him.
- Shout-Out: The font and theme used at the end of "Leroy" is one to The Omen.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Pastor Stewart delivers this to the woman who called him out in the street.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Narine, who even pens a song praising his bedroom skills.
Santana: (after hearing the song) Narine, go home nah.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Simon delivers an epic one after Deadly insults him in his debut episode:
Simon: I think you are: a homophobic, egotistical, trifling, insignificant, absurd, illiterate, imbecilic, brainless, moronic, fatuous, ridiculous, feeble-minded little boy. So, in other words....YUH DAMN STUPID!