Berserk Button: Fan Works
When a nice, normal character suddenly goes into a rage, you've hit their Berserk Button
Ah! My Goddess
- In the fic "Into The Forest'', do not hurt Pete Malloy's girlfriend. When they are captured by a group of criminals while horseback riding, one of them tries to rape Jenny when they camp for the night. Despite being viciously beaten and injured, Pete breaks his bonds in an adrenaline-fueled rage and charges the guy, ready to kill if he has to.
A Song of Ice and Fire
Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Ah! Archfall!. Hurt or insult Lind and Jago WILL make you suffer.
- Bring Me All Your Elderly has many:
- Toph loses it at the "Pebble Dance," deciding to break off from the main fic and beat some sense into the Earthbenders.
- Narrating is one for Katara (particularly when Katarola is doing it). She also hates the scene in the Earthbender prison because of 1) the fact that Awng gets her inspiring speech and 2) the sheer stupidity of the scene in general.
- She also flips out when Katarola attempts to make out with Aang, understandably.
- Most things Katarola does are a berserk button for Katara, actually.
- Zuko has a brief mental breakdown when he discovers that he is actually a cartoon character.
- Lord Shyamalan goes berserk when Awng, of all people, starts criticizing some of the movie's flaws.
- Sockson loses it at one point when Sokka abruptly chops off his ponytail. Unfortunately for Sockson, Sokka is a much better fighter than he is.
- Sockson's failed attempt to hit on Katara works as a berserk button for Katara, Aang and Sokka simultaneously.
- In How I Became Yours, Zuko has two that Mai pushes- insulting Katara and calling him a "chard monster".
- In Field Of Innocence, do not ever hurt Lu Ten's little cousins. Ozai learns this the hard way.
- Kyoshi Rising; threatening or insulting Kyoshi's loved ones is a surefire way to set her off (considering just who she is, this is a very bad thing). She is also not fond of imposters pretending to be the Avatar.
Calvin and Hobbes
- Doubled in the Blood+ fanfic Nobility has Anjou's initial fight with Nathalie. Nathalie goes berserk because Forrest ripped a few strands of her hair out. She kills him, which sets off Anjou's berserk button.
- In An End To All Things, messing with Kotomi appears to be one for Okazaki, as evidenced by his reaction when Kotomi's godfather shows up.
- Maftie Ciel Raza has a very very VERY dim view anyone who kills his fellow pilots. Even Suzaku found that out the hard way... and the Nero Lancelot is based on the older Conquest model and not on the newer Albion...
- Despair's Last Resort has a few.
- Ayame can't stand being told that she's not feminine enough. People would tell her this constantly because she enjoyed playing football/soccer.
- Kumiko hates being called an otaku. She may visit Akihabara, collect manga, and play video games, but she wants no association with the otaku name. She also gets mad after Ryouta slanders Shizuka's name, and punches him in the face for it.
- The usually stoic Miyako gets irritated after everyone starts fighting with each other over petty things. She actually chews them out for acting like idiots.
- Shuuya gets furious when Saemi starts badmouthing the late Miyako, going so far as threatening to kill her right there.
Devil May Cry
- Can't Get You Out Of My Head has Joker, who takes a very, very dim view of implicating him in something that he didn't do. as he put it:
"There isn't enough room in this town for me and somebody who would do a thing like that, and they're going to be the ones to go. I am going to find whoever did this, expose them, and clear my name. And then I'm going to teach them the error of their ways. Over several days. With a dull knife dipped in iodine, so it really hurts and so they don't get an infection and die before I want them to."
- DC Nation: Terra found out the hard way: If you're going to try and kill Changeling's girlfriend, do not follow it up by "making fun" of the way Doom Patrol died.
- Harm a single hair on Corrine Bertrand's head OR his sister's head, and Caleb Zukov will show up with his demon's-blood based magic and a Desert Eagle to make you terribly sorry about it.
- From The Doctors and the Nurses They Adore Me So, hurting the Joker's dog is bad for everyone.
- Stephanie Brown/Spoiler puts up with a lot of crap in Angel Of The Bat, but mocking the events of War Games (in which she was raped, tortured and forced to fake her death) is a surefire way to get your face broken. Just ask Scarab.
- In the AU fic "Like Father Like Son", while it takes several chapters for Dante to confirm that Nero is his son, once he does confirm it, messing with the kid is a very good way to bring down Dante's full Papa Wolf wrath on your head.
- One warning for readers of the Tamers Forever Series: Do not, under any circumstances, put someone Takato cares about in danger, or he will end you.
- The Nightmare intentionally tries to press Takato's Berserk Button by torturing his friends.
- Daemon also hits Henry's Berserk Button when he attacks and critically injures (she had to be put on life support) Henry's seven year old sister Suzie in cold blood.
- Rika's Berserk Button is triggered when a swarm of Kurisarimon and DarkScubamon torture Takato almost to death.
- In Time and Space by Eureka2000, Epsilon's sore spot is the Time War and implying that she was anything like Rassilon and his followers.
- And don't ever do anything stupid in front of Zanna Sterling. Just ask her brother.
- in this story series, Roy Desoto gets VERY angry if his partner John Gage gets hurt. It sometimes extends to Roy's wife, the other guys of Station 51, and Dr.Brackett and Dixie. All are very fond of John and want to keep him safe.
- In the fanfic, Scream For Me, calling Jason a retard and/or insulting his mother, telling Freddy he lost in Freddy vs. Jason, messing with Michael's shampoo, or taking Ghostface's drugs away from him, are all definite ways to get attacked/killed. Series can be found here.
- In What About Witch Queen?, threatening Anna - or even suggesting threatening her - is a sure way to attract Kristoff's ire, and boy, fear his wrath. Also, any news about Hans are bound to make Friedrich go full berserk and the same - although to lesser extent - applies to Anna as well.
Girls und Panzer
- The Fullmetal Alchemist fanfic series The Elemental Chess Trilogy has all the same berserk buttons as the original canon. In addition, though, some others come up. Don't endanger Ling's friends, his people, or his little sister. Don't mistreat women in the vicinity of Alex Louis Armstrong (or, as shown in a flashback, Roy Mustang). Don't mess with the members of Team Mustang if you don't want to feel the wrath of the rest of the team. And pray for deliverance if you're caught red-handed having something to do with the disappearance and possible murder of Riza Mustang, because if her husband doesn't incinerate you (and that's a really big if), their friends will.
- Boys Und Sensha-do
- For Akio, it's anyone treating members of their family poorly, especially casting them out of the family, which hits hard for him because he lost his father. He also dislikes Maho because he believes she is not there for Miho enough, but while Miho's defending her sister doesn't convince him, he doesn't press the issue.
- For Shiho, it's having her personal honor questioned, as seen when she loses her temper when Saburo and Akio each give a "The Reason You Suck" Speech against her.
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Hunting The Unicorn: If you mess with Kurt, Blaine will not hesitate to pick a fight with you. If you hurt Blaine, the Warblers will want to rip your kneecaps out. And if you sleep with sixteen-year-old Blaine, break up with him, and then string him along for weeks—without correcting his notion that Sex Equals Love—then his brother will threaten to burn you alive.
- Kurt doesn't take Blaine's kidnapping very well.
The Hunger Games
- Company0051 has the The Captain of the eponymous Company. Basic inspection shows him as a calm, collected leader. Question how he runs the place, though, and he'll retaliate...
Jackie Chan Adventures
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- In Some Semblance of Meaning, the usually timid Vale has a huge Berserk Button when it comes to people trying to hurt Kit. This sort of Big Sister Instinct has caused her to ally with him even though he's probably the weakest competitor in the Games, run through the bloodbath to reach him at risk of her own life, and let's not forget the time she furiously killed another tribute who attacked him. It's also safe to say that another of Vale's Berserk Buttons is Obsidian Citrine.
- Speaking of Obsidian, he sums up his own Berserk Button quite nicely for us: "You don’t hurt innocent things. That’s just wrong. You don’t kill sweet, innocent, harmless things."
Left 4 Dead
- It's a bad idea to mess with the members of Elizabeth Quatermain's True Companions, because the rest of them will make sure you regret it. And it's a very bad idea to mess with Elizabeth herself, because Skinner might not let you live to regret it.
Legend of Zelda
- In Left 4 Dead fanon, Louis likes pills a lot. Stealing his pills, or even having pills when he doesn't, will drive him into a frenzy.
- Go ahead. Try harming Ellis in front of Nick. We bet he won't mind. The times whenever people do, Nick tends to become frighteningly enraged. When a robber smacks Ellis and threatens to kill the group, Nick was seriously considering killing her. And when Nick thought that Brenda ordered Jerry to kill Ellis, he went completely NUTS and tried to kill her with his bare hands.
- Actually, just try harming any of the Survivors. The others will make sure that you regret it for the rest of your life.
The Lion King
: In any other circumstances, I would've pitied you, maybe even spared you. But you insulted the one person that I held most dearly. And for that, the punishment...is death. Malon Punch!
- A couple of examples in The Lion King Adventures:
- Don't insult Nala in front of Simba. You will regret it.
- In The Return of Hago, Simba attacks Hago after he dishes out an insulting speech to him.
- In The End, the Writer jokes about Sarafina's death, causing Haiba to lash out. Sadly, this leads to his death.
- In When Did I Become A Parent?, Timon does not react well to someone trying to harm Simba and in fact attacks the lion who does so.
- Otto and Robin Octavius. Do not threaten their adopted daughter Mouse. Just... don't. If you're lucky, Otto will rip you to shreds with the help of four sentient, pissed off metal tentacles. If you're not lucky... Robin Goodfellow gets to 'play' with you.
Mega Man (Classic)
- Under no circumstances should you point a gun at Joachim Hoch in the Uplifted series Hanala'Jarva will ruin your day and not even feel an ounce of remorse for it.
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Unlike in the show, Merlin never uses his magic to kill people in The Student Prince... until he realises Val is about to kill Arthur. When this happens, Merlin bends the fabric of space itself to get between them and creates a swarm of angry bees who goes after Val. Merlin later says that he does not regret killing him.
- A Kingdom Divided - After Diamond Tiara dies, saying anything bad about her to Silver Spoon is the best way to start a fight.
- Getting Back on Your Hooves: Losing is one for Checker Monarch and has been since she and Trixie were foals.
- Inner Demons: Once she's taken over by her Queen persona, it becomes a very bad idea to betray Twilight Sparkle. Or do anything that in her mind constitutes betrayal. Oh, and if you value your life, do not come between her and her brother.
- Apple Bloom from Moody Mark Crusaders will change your life into hell if you ever mention Applejack in her presence.
- If My Little Unicorn is any indication Dakari-King Mykan's berserk buttons include MLP, friendship, and changes.
- Past Sins: Nyx loves Twilight. Twilight loves Nyx. Both wield magical power unmatched by anypony save, perhaps, Celestia and Luna. Do the math.
- Progress: Don't break Luna's glasses. Just don't. Also don't threaten anypony under her protection.
- Starlight Over Detrot: Taxi will put you in a world of hurt if you bring up her (lack of) cutie marks, and Swift flips out at the mere mention of Essies (Magically-made constructs).
- The Vinyl Scratch Tapes: If you mess with one of Octavia's friends, she will beat the crap out of you. If you mess with Octavia, Vinyl will call you a jerk, go out of her way to humiliate you, and then have security (the Diamond Dogs) beat the crap out of you.
- The author, Kalash93, has included a few throughout his stories.
- In Epic Unicorn History The Beards Of Harmony, we are shown that if you do anything that harms Star Swirl's beard, anything at all, you should forfeit your life before he does it for you.
- Shining Armor in the Stallions Of Harmony Verse does not appreciate saying bad things about his little sister.
- The Wanderer Of The North: Anything to do with Diamond Dogs is this to Nikóleva because of what they did to her father.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
- A major piece of the character development in People Lie is the three main characters slowly learning to overcome their individual buttons. Naruto overcoming the memories of his traumatic childhodd, shown using his Shadow Clones to inflict pain on himself. Hinata, scorning Neji and the rest of her family but tempered by Naruto's influence, and Sasuke, given a tongue-lashing by Naruto and Hinata in order to make him refrain from snapping at the mention of Itachi.
- Two different villains in A Growing Affection, while fighting Naruto and Hinata together, decide it would be easier to take out Hinata and fight Naruto alone. They were wrong.
- Blind: Naruto's response to Kimimaro attacking his friends? Rip. Him. Apart. Piece. By. Piece. The mission report from the others clearly states the only thing left of Kimimaro was a skeleton.
- Legacy of the Rasengan: Don't ever steal Naruto's jutsu. When Kakashi does it on accident, Naruto's willing to let it slide after he promises to never teach it to anyone. When Naruto sees Sasuke use it while fighting Gaara, Naruto drags Kakashi outside and is perfectly willing to put him in the hospital.
- Escape from The Hokage's Hat: Sakura's is people calling her a "useless fangirl" and insulting Naruto. Heaven help you if you push this button repeatedly. Ask Kiba.
- Kitsune no Ken: Fist of the Fox:
- Don't waste pudding around Ino. She'll chase you all over Konoha High School and beat the crap out of you.
- Don't destroy artwork that Sai has spent considerable time to make. Four bullies did it to a painting he'd spent an entire class period to make, in an attempt to intimidate him...and he ended up battering all four of them bloody and might even have killed one if Kakashi hadn't intervened.
- Don't harm Ino and let Naruto find out. Period. He almost took off Aoi's head with an iron bar for it. Also, don't let him see you harm Hinata in any way, shape or form. He subjected Zabuza to a brutal beat-down and nearly cut his throat after Zabuza hit Hinata in the face and knocked her senseless.
- The Raikage You can insult Naruto or his father all you want, but whatever you do don't insult his mother or any of his wives because if you do, you're dead meat
- Don't insult or threaten Naruto in front of any Kumo nin, especially his wives
Phineas and Ferb
- Strawhat Theater 2: Our Mrs. Monkey, do NOT touch Luffy's wife.
Luffy: "You're Absalom, right?"
Absalom: "Of course I'm Absalom! Who else would I be, you idiot?"
Absalom: "Gear wha-?" *gets punched through several walls*
- And when Absalom turns invisible:
Absalom: "You might as well give up now, Strawhat! You can't hit what you can't see!"
Luffy: "You're in the room, right?"
Absalom:"OF COURSE I'M IN THE ROOM, IDIOT! You can't see me! But I'm clearly here!"
Luffy: "Gear Third."
- In any piece by Kicster Ash, insinuating that Phineas "cracks" when not allowed to sketch and/or invent. Given that it's Phineas Flynn, it's more adorable than anything else.
- Wheatley in the Portal 2 fanfic Test Of Humanity still hates being called a "moron". However, it's also a very bad idea to say he's anything like the HAL 9000 or GLaDOS. And, whatever you do, don't you dare hurt Chell or imply that he can't feel love because he's not really human. He may be a Gentle Giant cyborg in the fic, but he won't hesitate to punch you in the eye As GLaDOS found out if you so much as harm one hair on the girl he loves.
- Sean O'Callahan is a walking one in Power Rangers GPX, particularly in the form of Daisuke Miyazawa, who keeps pushing it to his detriment. Eventually, Daisuke pushes it so much that after he mutinies, he gets a massive punch from Sean and a big earful. He calms down more in subsequent episodes, but he keeps it subtle, especially in an alternate universe version when his alchemist enemy compares his alchemy to Clarke's Third Law.
- A good tip for dealing with the lead of Send Your O Cs fanfic Pokemon Take Two: In the name of all that is holy, if your name isn't Ry, do not, under any circumstances, call Raion Ryhorn. Just... don't. There are better ways to commit Suicide by Cop.
- A New Chance Series:
- For any of Ash's Pokemon, it is threatening his well being. Only now he has a Latios and Latias in his collection, and they are rather attached to him. The Fearow finds this out the hard way, when Pidgeot decks him after he tried to kill Ash.
- Bianca has several. Don't ask her out in a perverted way, as Brock found out. Don't hurt Latios and Latias, and because of that she chews Ash out every time he uses them in battle.
- Don't call Latios an unimportant Legendary. Don't seperate a child from his mother. Rico, who sold Larvitar's mother, pays the ultimate price.
- In Cori Falls's fanfic series, insulting or harming Jessie is this for James (Domino found this out the hard way). For Jessie, it's insulting or harming James or saying anything bad about her deceased mother (Misty found this out the hard way). And the existence of Ash Ketchum, of course.
Real Person Fic
- Yoko in Futari Wa Pretty Cure Blue Moon cannot stand destruction of property and is often set off ranting about it... like the time she walked up to the Monster of the Week in the middle of a battle and lectured it about the mess it made. Oh, and you might not want to remind Kainatrol of her sister unless you know what you're doing.
- Futari Wa Pretty Cure Dragon: The man in black does not like being called a "super spade" simply because he acts like a stereotypical Mexican even though he isn't Mexican in any sense of the word. Go ahead, call him that three times. He'll go batshit on the poor sap who's unlucky enough that the third instance of that phrase in a single episode comes out of his mouth.
- Harm an animal, or one of the others, around Paul in With Strings Attached and he may quite violently stop being an Actual Pacifist... though he has such a horror of hurting anyone that it's not too hard to talk him down.
- All of the four have a Berserk Button if one of the others is threatened. Certainly John laid some heavy (tho' nonlethal) offscreen water whoop-ass on a handful of Raleka after George was badly injured falling through a roof. No matter that none of the Raleka had anything to do with this... but they were approaching in a slightly threatening manner.
- Given that John had just been awakened from an enchanted sleep by George peeing on him through said roof, had no idea what was going on save that it was bad, and was pissed as shit, he seems justified in attacking anything that moved at that point.
- The only time in the book that Paul followed through on an attack was when the Hunter's BFG threatened the others.
- Ringo immediately threw As'taris back when he threatened John.
- A common sentiment in The Sentinel's fandom is "The only thing more dangerous than a Sentinel whose Guide is threatened is a Guide whose Sentinel has been hurt."
Sonic the Hedgehog
- Empath: The Luckiest Smurf: In the alternate timeline of Papa Smurf being married to Smurfette, Sassette dares mention that Empath is the one who truly loves Smurfette to Papa Smurf, and Papa Smurf slaps Sassette in the face for it, just having disowned him after he and the other Smurfs exiled the married couple and their child and then were trapped in time!
- And in turn, Papa Smurf slapping Sassette becomes one for Smurfette, who promptly ends up leaving him and taking their daughter with her.
- In Breaking Point, Maka and Crona's biggest ones are anyone trying to harm the other. Violently Protective Significant Other is in full force in this story.
- In Oblivion, Medusa smacks her younger sister Shaula around, and insults her fighting skills, plans, intelligence, and general competency, and Shaula remains relatively controlled through all of it. The second Medusa implies that Shaula was The Unfavorite to their parents, she immediately loses her shit.
- In Insontis II, according to McCoy, one of the few things that can make Kirk lose control in front of crewmen is any threat to "their (currently fun-sized) Chief Science Officer and said science officer's precious dignity."
- In the fic Written in the Stars, Jane Kirk is a capable, level-headed Captain and generally a nice girl. But like her male counterpart, harming her crew is a bad idea, particularly Spock. This goes for her Prime counterpart, too. Added to that in this particular story, she gets pretty pissed in the first half whenever her counterpart makes not-so-subtle suggestions that she's gaining feelings for Spock.
- Worffan101's recurring Star Trek Online character D'trel ir'Aehallhah tr'Rihannsu has a pathological hatred of the Tal'Shiar that tends to make her go on Roaring Rampages of Revenge at the mere mention of them in a positive light. (Many years before, a Tal'Shiar secret police unit destroyed a Unificationist group of which she was a member, including her lover Adani, whom they raped to death.) First exploited, then subverted in Peace Forged in Fire:
- Exploited by Colonel Merik tr'Kiell, who intentionally provokes D'trel into Berserker mode by speaking fondly of two other Tal'Shiar, one of them being Hakeev. He was luring her into her customary berserker charge so he could trap her ship and kill her. But he underestimated how much gun Praetor Velal had brought along.
- Subverted after Merik's ship is disabled. He claims to have been one of the men who raped D'trel's lover Adani to death, to get her to destroy his ship to deny intelligence to the Republic and Empire. It backfires: D'trel decides death by exploding starship is too good for him and Merik is taken alive.
Super Mario Bros.
- In one Knights of the Old Republic fanfic, Saul Karath isolates Carth while his Dark Jedi honor guard interrogates Revan and Bastila. After trying the We Can Rule Together tactic (which fails miserably), he proceeds to test every Berserk Button Carth has. Carth holds it together pretty well, until Karath mentions what he plans on doing to Mission...
- While Jinn, from Star Wars Light In Dark Time, is already a bit Ax-Crazy to begin with (he's basically a sith convincing himself he's a Jedi), however, comparing him to Palpatine is just too far. Similarly, hurting his friend's, especially Leia, will make Luke explode.
- Amongst Touhou fans, a lot of portrayals of Sakuya have her react incredibly violently if anyone implies that she pads her bra, or even writing or thinking the word "pads". She also doesn't like people who sleep on the job, which is bad news for Meiling. None of this, however, comes close to what she'll do to you if you mess with her ojou-sama, as Yukari found out in Koumajou Densetsu II.
- Cheating Reimu out of donations is one of the surest ways to piss her off in fanworks, and has been the source of more than a few "Digging Your Own Grave" pics on Danbooru.
- Patchouli likes to Throw the Book at Them on occasion in the fighting games, but as Musou Kakyou: A Summer Day's Dream demonstrates it's not a good idea to do the same to her. When Aya does this accidentally, it sets up a big throwdown between her and Reimu.
- Calling Yukari any variation of "old hag" is a good way to be sucked into one of her gaps. She's 17, after all.
- Very few things can piss Yuyuko off, but two things, according to fanworks, will do it: interrupting her meal may get you put through a wall, but stealing her food will make her go Hollow on you.
- In the Gensokyo 20XX series, do NOT call Yukari a whore, as she will make you wish you didn't.
- A minor one that Yuuka has is being rude to her (like shouting at her and, if you're a child, calling her a bitch) and, as we recently find out, apparently dealing harm to Ran and Reimu is also this.
- Yuyuko does not like being "fucked over".
- Apparently, an age-regressed Reimu doesn't deal with wangsters too well and, if you deal her pain, she deals it back
The World Ends with You
- In Transformers Meta , Grimlock has a few berserk buttons.
- Barricade also naturally has a few berserk buttons.
- Eri, Shiki's best friend, in Eri's Game has one when she will attacking anyone who tries to hurt or insult Shiki. The beating with Beat, who is a Reaper really does it.