There are those that say the ends justify the means. But sometimes there can be no justification. Worse, sometimes old habits die hard. An unusual self insert. - Story SummaryAn End To All Things is a CLANNAD fanfiction by the Fanfiction.net author Tenebris Domineus, exploring a situation where a man whom tried to take over the world and was defeated was reincarnated as Okazaki Tomoya, the main character of Clannad.
Billed as an 'unusual self insert', the story follows along the main plot of the anime, slowly diverging in ways from the anime as Okazaki's actions subtly (or not so subtly in some cases) change the world around him.
This work provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: Has elements of this.
- Apocalypse How: Implied that there is at least a regional one later in the story.
- Apocalypse Wow: The depictions of the effects of a nuke on the city are frequent and flowery.
- Arc Words: Old habits die hard.
- Berserk Button: Okazaki does not react kindly to Kotomi's stepfather when he first appears.
- Cyborg: It's heavily implied that Okazaki is one.
- Contemplate Our Navels: Okazaki does this somewhat frequently.
- Deadpan Snarker: Okazaki to a degree even greater than in canon.
- Downer Beginning: What else do you call a fic where the opening paragraphs describe the city getting nuked, even if that hasn't actually happened yet, maybe?
- Eldritch Abomination: Fuko appears to view Okazaki as one.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: It's a Self-Insert Fic.
- Hive Mind: It's implied that Okazaki's past self, and possibly Okazaki himself, might be one of these.
- Hypocrite: In the opening scene, Okazaki advises Furukawa to not live in the past. What was he doing shortly before he told her that? Reliving a memory.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: While he does (sort of) remember Kotomi from his past, he says explicitly that he had some sort of accident that damaged his memories of their time together. Unusual in that he attempts to directly address the issue with his nanites.
- Mind Probe: It's implied that Okazaki has these, though it's not outright stated as such.
- Nanomachines: It's directly stated that Okazaki has these in his blood, as well as some sort of controller device.
- Nuke 'em: It's hard to imagine a reason why someone fired/will fire a nuke at Hikarigana City.
- Oh, Crap!: When Kotomi's godfather shows up, everyone has a measure of this at Okazaki's actions.
- Purple Prose: Frequently used when describing the aforementioned nuking.
- Self-Insert Fic: It says so right on the tin.
- The Atoner: Okazaki appears to be this, for undetermined reasons.