Here be Dragons
(index of posts
) by Hiver is a Star Wars/Sword of the Stars
crossover fanfic series.
In the eponymous first story, our perspective character finds himself waking up in parts unknown as a Morrigi male. Learning that he has been sent to the Star Wars
verse a hundred years before the Battle of Yavin, he takes up the name Atreus and finds, much to his chagrin, that the only way to afford a starship involves him being on retainer with the Jedi. Jedi being Jedi, much unwanted adventure follows. Complete.
There is a sequel, Feathers and Fire
(index of posts
). Some time after the events of the first story, an old acquaintance summons Atreus and crew, intending to offer him a princely gift. However, inconsistencies start showing up in one of the ships under his corporation, which may yet lead him down a rabbit hole he's not ready for. Also complete.
A third story has been promised.
If you're looking for the Worm
fic of the same name by Ryuugi, go here
.Needs a Better Description
This fanfic series contains examples of the following:
- Berserk Button:
- Don't get caught trying to tamper with Atreus's mind. The very least you can expect in return is a harsh chewing-out, and that's if you're lucky. Far more likely the Force will be used to retaliate.
- Smuggling is one thing, as long as you don't get caught, and be repentant if you do get caught. Disobeying a direct order to his face, though? Big no-no.
- He also really, really hates traitors. How much? The second time he caught one, he nearly went Dark Side with anger and tried to Force Choke the culprit to death.
- Chekhov's Gun: The salvaged warship he sold off in the first story? It comes back in the second.
- Chekhov's Gunman:
- The eccentric Hutt Galuga befriended near the end of the first story provides a vital lead in the second.
- Then-padawan Nicole Mara reappears in the second story after having not been seen for a long time.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: Mind reading was the very first Force ability Nicole Mara learned, which is why it's so difficult to not use it.
- Downer Ending: For both stories so far.
- In Here be Dragons Dooku hijacks the Clear Skies and rams it into a drug cooking outfit's spacecraft, temporarily putting Atreus and crew out of action.
- In Feathers and Fire Atreus nearly goes Dark Side punishing a traitor in his crew and decides to turn over captaincy to his Number Two and take a sabbatical back to the Jedi.
- Drowning My Sorrows: The last thing Atreus does in the first story. See Wham Episode for why.
- Expecting Someone Taller: Inverted in the second story, where the captain of the Autumn Flower expected him to be smaller.
- For Want of a Nail: Early on in the first story, Atreus takes then-Princess Ni'Korish as a passenger and his actions change her from her canonical anti-Jedi views.
- Interspecies Romance: Atreus and Ni'Korish in the second story. Also a Secret Relationship.
- Jurisdiction Friction: In the second story, a Republic fleet officer tells Atreus the captain of his caught smuggling can't be prosecuted because that guy was operating in Hutt space where the Republic has no authority.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Morrigi psionics involve the Force, which is why Atreus eventually accepts some Jedi training in order to learn to avoid falling into the Dark Side.
- The Mole: Mekak the cargomaster turns out to be the one leaking information to the rival Thail Corporation.
- Mundane Utility: Atreus builds a drone specifically for getting him food.
- Never Live It Down: In-Universe and out, the things Dooku did shortly after his first onscreen appearance left a stain on his name.
- No Sell: Ni'Korish is highly resistant to his glamor, which as per Morrigi customs makes her highly attractive to Atreus.
- Nothing Personal: The leader of the Glass Hands has no hard feelings about Atreus getting rid of their contraband that was being smuggled by one of his captains.
- Running Gag:
- Atreus keeps talking about leather and Dark Siders in the same sentence.
- His infantry-scale security drones keep getting mistaken for assassin droids.
- A starship named Clear Skies that keeps getting into unwanted adventure.
- Another starship is named Black Pearl.
- Atreus finds a chap named Kirk to be captain of his new passenger transport, which he proceeds to name Enterprise.
- Sibling Team: Atreus's engineers, the sisters Sarah and Padme Honor.
- Summation Gathering: Done at the end of the second story.
- Wham Episode:
- Part 51, where someone hijacks and rams the Clear Skies into another spacecraft.
- Part 52 (final part of the first story), where it turns out to have been Dooku trying to kill some drug cookers.
- Part 35 (final part) of the second story, where Atreus nearly Force Chokes a traitorous member of his crew to death and decides afterwards to turn over captaincy to his Number Two while he takes an extended sabbatical to get help from the Jedi.
- Working the Same Case: In the second story, Atreus learns that the captain of his he caught smuggling was working for the same drug cartel Dooku and Qui-Gon were investigating. Considering the unfortunate way he parted with Dooku the last time, it gives him much displeasure.