L continue to throw themselves at Light, while L pretends to investigate him as a mass-murder suspect.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Misa and L towards Light. Light, L, and Mello towards Naomi.
- Action Girl: Naomi throwing people out the window is almost a Running Gag.
- The same is true for Naomi beating up Mello.
- Action Mom: Naomi becomes one.
- Adorably Precocious Child: 4-year old Duck is more mature than most of the adults in this story.
- Adults Are Useless: Duck seems to think so.
- Asexuality: Subverted in the "Victory Sex" that Naomi and Light have.
Naomi (to Light): YOU HAVE NO SEX DRIVE!
- All Part of the Show:
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Amazon Chaser: Light towards Naomi.
- Amusing Injuries: when Naomi beats up Mello.
- Antagonistic Offspring: Duck to Light
- The Antichrist: Naomi fears that Duck is this.
- Archnemesis Dad:
Tell Light when he gets home to try not to be so terribly obvious with his vocation
, one day I may just decide to turn him in.
- At Least I Admit It: 4 year old Duck, the aspiring supervillain in contrast to his father.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: after making the decision to throw Light to the curb Naomi has the sudden epiphany that she's actually going to miss him.
- Axe Crazy: Light of course, and becoming justifiably moreso after what L puts him through.
- Bad "Bad Acting": When L and Mello are trying desperately to avoid having their Secret Identities exposed.
- Be a Whore to Get Your Man: After Misa enters the picture, Naomi starts wearing Gothic Lolita in an attempt to recapture Light's attention, much to Light's horror.
- Berserk Button: Light flips out at any mention of Matsuda's soap opera, or more specifically of Matsuda's "reimagining" of his character as poor wimpy Hikaru Imagay the gay prostitute.
- Betty and Veronica: Genderflipped for Naomi, Raye is Betty and Light is Veronica
- Birds of a Feather: Light and Naomi are both highly intelligent paranoid neurotics who are perpetually Surrounded by Idiots and as of late Naomi has taken to having the occasional Axe Crazy moment, complete with Slasher Smile.
- Black Comedy Rape: L coming onto Light. Zigzagged. It's frequently joked about that L might try to rape Light while he's incarcerated but Naomi shows genuine concern for Light's well-being. For the most part L acts like a Dogged Nice Guy Stalker with a Crush that is until he decides to just drug Light and have his way.
- Brain Bleach
- Brainwashed: Naomi concludes that Light has brainwashed his family and everyone he's met into thinking he's a good person.
- Brick Joke: "You have another spurned and neglected lover? God dammit, Ryuuzaki!"
- Broke Episode: since the computer thinks L is dead his accounts are frozen.
- Brutal Honesty: Naomi's preferred method of dealing with Mello.
- Bullying a Dragon: Subverted, Naomi wants to stay on Light's good-side in case Light ever remembers he's a serial killing mass-murderer.
- L plays this completely straight with his continual harassment of Light.
- Duck and Mello:
Naomi: Now, Duck, you and I have already had a talk about provoking mentally unstable individuals...
- But I Play One on TV: When Matsuda has the Taskforce reenacting their story in Soap Opera form, Matsuda worries that Light is getting Lost in Character. He's supposed to be playing "Hikaru", not "the Boogeyman."
- Butt Monkey: Misa, L, Near, Naomi, Light, Mello.
- Camp Gay: Mello. Upon meeting him, L mistakes him for Hikaru Imagay.
- Camp Straight: Light. Matsuda is shocked speechless when he realizes Light is flirting with Naomi and not L.
- Captain Obvious: "Yes Misa, two plus two equals four."
- Cassandra Truth: Naomi knows Light is Kira, is stalking her, and pretty much everything that's going on plot-wise but since she's acquired a reputation for being neurotic no one will believe her.
- The Chew Toy: Mello
- Child Prodigy: Duck
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Naomi. She has developed this psychological defense from always being Alone with the Psycho.
- Comedic Sociopathy
- Coming-of-Age Story: Naomi is so proud of Light when he begins to mature beyond his power trip and begins to think about the good of mankind. And then there's this:
Light: I'm too old for this shit.
Naomi: You're not even twenty-five yet.
- Conspicuous Trenchcoat: Raye
- Cosmic Plaything: Naomi and Light have a philosophical discussoin about the Clown-Gods that rule their universe.
- Crack Fic
- Crazy Cat Lady: Naomi fears the taskforce sees her as this.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Light towards Naomi, and L towards Light.
- Creepy Uncle: Duck refers to L as "Uncle Pedophilia" though they aren't related by blood.
- Cringe Comedy: Upon realizing that they are booked for another hour of interview time Matsuda attempts to stall by telling jokes about terrorists.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Naomi's paranoid conjectures are accurate more often than not.
- Cute Bruiser: Naomi
- Date Rape: L on Light.
- Deadpan Snarker: Naomi, Light, and L all have their moments. And Duck.
- Death Seeker: L baits Light, challenging him to kill him with his bare hands. "I have nothing to live for anyway."
- Depraved Homosexual: Forget detective work or solving the Kira case-L's true motivation is to get Light in the sack.
- Destination Defenestration: Naomi gets fed up with Matsuda and throws him out the window much to everyone's relief...
- Determinator: deconstructed:
Matsuda (throwing himself against a door, repeatedly): You know… Duck… I don't think this is working…
Duck: I'm sure you'll get it eventually. The trick is to keep trying and to believe in yourself, then any task can be accomplished. Or so public educational television tells me.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Kira.
- Didn't Think This Through: Light doesn't need to kill L. All he had to do is kill Watari and L's system collapses.
- Disappeared Dad: Light to Duck out of ignorance and L to Mello and Near out of dickishness.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
Mello: ...Did the four year old just say he wants to kill Kira?
Naomi: Duck, I know you hate Light but this is a bit too far.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male: L frequently drugs and has his way with Light. Naomi feels sorry for Light but everyone else has No Sympathy.
- Dressing as the Enemy: When the police are banging down the door Matt and Duck attempt to disguise Mello. Matt resorts to drugging Mello in order to make him lose the stripper costume, cuts his hair and forces him into a suit and tie. Naomi comments in her Internal Monologue that it makes him look like Misa's little brother that likes dressing up like Light.
- Dumbass No More: After doing so much writing for his soap opera Matsuda actually gains a measure of understanding of what's really going on around him.
- Dysfunction Junction:
- Enfant Terrible: Duck
- Enforced Method Acting: In Matsuda's soap opera Light is cast to play the character of "Hikaru Imagay" who is gay and L wants to help Light portray that more realistically...
- Epic Fail: Stalking: Raye Penber is Doing It Wrong, as Light notes in one of his letters:]
- Light's porn.
- Mello trying to be intimidating and get Naomi to take him seriously.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Takeshi the heroin dealer gives Light a few free pointers on how to avoid getting drugged and raped by L.
Takeshi (to Light): Have you been watching what you drink, he's probably spiked everything you touch.
Light: I know he does, thank you for the advice.
- Extreme Doormat: Light nicknames Raye "The Wallpaper." Also Matt.
- Faking the Dead: L doesn't let his successors know he is still alive because he doesn't want to have to talk to them.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Naomi gets angry when Raye goes missing and Light and Duck aren't concerned. She issues the following threats to get them motivated:
Naomi (to Light): ...when I kick you out that's where you're going! Roommates with Misa and Ryuk!
Duck: Why haven't we done this before?
Naomi: Shut up I'm not done with you either, if you don't procure his body you'll be forced into elementary school years before your time and I'll make you bring Light Yagami to parent-day so you can profess what a wonderful relationship you have.
- First-Name Basis: Matsuda wonders why Duck refers to Raye by his first name.
- Fix Fic: So far the story has loosely followed Death Note canon except that Naomi Misora, Raye Penber, and L don't die.
- Fluffy the Terrible: After noticing Light/Kira stalking her Naomi starts referring to her stalker as "Mr. Snuggles."
- Foe Romance Subtext: Light and Naomi, Naomi likens their relationship to Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling.
Ryuk: Yeah, Light's great.
Naomi: I thought you said Light was a bastard.
Ryuk: He's my bastard.
Naomi stopped walking for a moment to contemplate the horrifying idea that she had misjudged Light's relationship to his clown god and was in fact the shinigami's bitch. Somehow that idea seemed more horrifying than the prospect that Light was probably painting an upside down star on her wall in red paint. She decided not to comment.
- Framing the Guilty Party:
Near's Agent: I can't just leave without [the notebook]!
L: Certainly you can, just say Light Yagami gave you the run around and that his soldiers were undyingly loyal. Also tell him that we just don't trust you. Near will buy that.
Near's Agent: Are you framing one of your employees?
L: It'd be framing if there was any way to convince Near that Light was not in fact Kira and somehow not giving you the run around. You don't have to tell him that Light wasn't actually here and never actually met with you.
- Freudian Excuse: "The Beyond Birthday case made so much more sense now, BB wasn't a megalomaniac he was L's spurned and neglected lover. Clearly the jam was just the aftershock of being forced into sex with someone that looked vaguely like a crack head. And she had prevented him from burning himself alive, if she had to have sex with L she might have tried to burn herself alive too. Naomi noted to herself that perhaps it was a good time to go to L.A.'s prison and apologize to that poor madman."
- Freudian Slip:
Naomi (to L): You're just jealous that I'm in his pants and you're not.
- From the Mouths of Babes: Duck shares with his mother the following observation about Mello:
Duck Look, mommy, his pants are tighter than yours!
- From Nobody to Nightmare: "She was beginning to think that Mello, like Hitler, had failed at his previous profession. Instead of being denied art school admission Mello had failed at being a fashion designer and now insisted on dressing the Japanese mafia in his own designs and showcasing his masterpieces on his own effeminate figure."
- The Gadfly: L. At one point he hits on Naomi just to piss off Light.
- Genre Savvy: Matsuda actually gains a measure of understanding of what's going on after doing so much writing for his soap opera.
- Genre Shift: It's like Death Note the Sitcom.
- A God Am I: Light of course and Duck. He decides he likes Naomi's paranoid theory that he's the spawn of the Notebook because 1) that means Light had less to do with his genetics and 2) that means he's more of a "God" than Kira could ever hope to be.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?
- Hearing Voices: "It tells me to kill"
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When Duck puts two and two together about who his father is.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Light, L and Naomi have moments too.
- Het Is Ew: Subverted, this fic is taking a break from the rampant Slash (Not That There's Anything Wrong with That).
- Hookers and Blow: Naomi suggests this is what L spent all his money on. His reply seems to suggest he wanted to but Watari wouldn’t let him.
- Human Interest Story: Poor Takada tries to interview Naomi and Sayu about their kidnapping. Tries.
- Hypocritical Humor:
Naomi: You named your son curtain.
Light: Naomi, don't interrupt.
- I Am Not My Father: when Naomi is comparing Duck to Light and L.
- I Have This Friend...: Light tells L and Naomi that Kira texted him informing him that he's "misplaced" his notebook, er so what should we do about it?
L: Light-kun, it's already obvious that you're Kira.
Light: No, I'm not Kira... And you look like a meth addict so no one will ever believe you.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: When L handcuffs himself to Light.
- I Lied
- I Reject Your Reality: It seems Duck has inherited Light's art of denial. Upon learning that Light is his biological father Duck decides he likes his mother's paranoid theory about him being an avatar for the murder notebook better and so he styles himself a God.
- Lampshaded again during one of Light and Naomi's arguments:
Naomi: It's like you have this belief that if you say things enough times they suddenly become true.
Light: I do not.
Naomi: I'm the god of the new world?
Naomi: Yeah, completely buying that.
- I Wrote Our Story: Matsuda's soap opera... sort of...
- I'm Not Hungry: L drugged the éclairs.
- I'm Standing Right Here
Light: I think your successor thinks we have the combined I.Q. of Matsuda.
Matsuda: You guys know I'm right here.
- Ignored Enemy: L, Naomi, and Mello get into an arguement in which Mello outs himself as the one and only transvestite terrorist-and becomes very miffed when neither L nor Naomi care enough to stop bickering because of it.
- Informed Ability: Mello's genius IQ.
- Infraction Distraction: while Light is killing criminals...
Naomi: What are you working on anyway, we both know you're Kira.
Light: I'm not working on anything.
Naomi: Then why the laptop?
Naomi: Wow that is the most boring pornography I have ever seen. This is porn for you?
- In the Blood: Light declares that Misora's four year old son is EVIL!
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Naomi sees that Mello still believes he's menacing after getting his ass handed to him and she still thinks it's just sad.
- Insane Troll Logic:
Naomi: [S]ince you keep claiming to be God this must somehow be your fault.
Light: I'm not sure that's how god complexes actually work, Naomi.
- Irritation Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery: "The team looked at L who looked about ready to shoot himself at the fact that his successor had stolen his entire get-up. At least Mello had the decency to become a transvestite mafia lord for the sake of originality, Near was just a sad little chip off the old block."
- It's All About Me: L is even worse about this than Light and that's saying something.
- Jerk Ass: L, Raye Penber
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Light... he spared Naomi and Raye in this fic-verse. "Not about you" indeed.
- Kid with the Leash: Naomi feels like this. She knows Light is a psycho but he could be so much worse...
- Also Naomi with Duck. "No starting religions!"
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Mello.
- Lamarck Was Right: Aside from physically taking after Naomi Duck is like a little carbon copy of Light-right down to the God complex!
- Law of Inverse Fertility: Light gets Naomi pregnant.
- Law of Inverse Paternity: Duck and Light hate each other. Much to Naomi's disgust, Duck would rather have Ryuk as his father and he quickly latches onto the idea that he's the Anti Christ spawn of the death note as a more favorable alternative.
- LEGO Genetics: Naomi theorizes that Light was mutated by his heavy notebook usage and that he passed that mutation onto Duck.
- Lighter and Softer: There are much fewer deaths of series regulars and Light/Kira is much more mentally stable in this ficverse "sticking to a diet of murderers and rapists" and doesn't jump off the slippery slope.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Light and L's bickering , Lampshaded.
- Like Father, Like Son: Light and Duck.
- Literal Genie: when Duck convinces Shidoh to do his bidding...
Duck: Right, well I asked him to find Schrodinger's Cat, he misunderstood the directions. I hope you like cats, he just keeps bringing them, I almost want to tell him to stop but I also want to see how far he's going to take this before he gives up. He's very tenacious for a half-wit.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Raye Penber
- And neither Raye nor Light are able to figure out that Duck is Light's son.
- Mello and Near are not informed (or in Mello's case refuse to believe) that L is still alive.
- Love at First Punch: Subverted Trope, it turns out Mello just wants Naomi to spy on Kira for him, much to her relief.
- Love Letter Lunacy
- Love Triangle: Raye-Naomi-Light, L-Naomi-Light, Naomi-Light-Misa, and L-Light-Misa
- Luke, You Are My Father: Duck has had the mentally scarring epiphany of who his father is but Light has yet to figure that out.
Naomi: Your fault.
- Manipulative Bastard: Duck is a chip off the old block.
- May–December Romance: Naomi is ten years older than Light.
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: If anyone is going to destroy the world it's going to be Matsuda. Later Light tells L and Naomi that Kira told him that he has "misplaced" a Death Note.
Naomi: Are you saying that we lost the notebook and that no one noticed? How could you lose something like that? That's like Roosevelt losing the atom bomb, woops it got stolen, guess we'll have to write that one off.
- Made funnier by the fact that the US did actually lose one of the first atomic bombs.
- Mistaken for Gay
- Mistaken Identity: Mello and Matt are brought to the Taskforce in a simple disguise. L, who never cared enough to know who the Wammy's kids were apparently buys their lame excuse, does not recognize Mello at all (instead insisting he must be Matsuda's character Hikaru Imagay brought to life). Similarly Mello has yet to realize that Ryuuzaki is his beloved L and takes to calling him "crackhead."
- Mook–Face Turn: Naomi talks to and bonds with Bubba over the fact that Mello dresses like a male prostitute.
- Monster Clown: Light shows Ryuk to Naomi, much to her annoyance.
- Morality Chain: Naomi realizes, to her horror, that she is Light's Morality Chain and so keeps hanging out with him even though he is a Serial Killer, her creepy stalker, and a jerk because he could be so much worse.
- Mugging the Monster: Mello kidnapping Naomi.
L (to Light) You look German.
Light: Yes, well, recessive genes I suppose.
- Naïve Newcomer: Near's agent who has the misfortune of trying to bargain with L and Naomi.
- Narcissist: Light has trouble getting it up until Naomi starts wearing his clothes.
- Never My Fault: L readily blames everyone else (mostly Naomi) when his plans go wrong.
- Newspaper-Thin Disguise
- Nice Character, Mean Actor: When Light is cast to play the nice gay schoolboy in Matsuda's soap opera.
- The Nick Namer:
- Noble Demon: Light frequently (pathologically) explains his behavior such as why he permits the taskforce's continued existence and how it's not about you at all.
- No Sense of Personal Space: L gets very grabby around Light.
- No Social Skills: L, of course. "L had an annoying habit of speaking very loudly on his cellphone as if his conversation was far more important than anything anyone else could be doing. That or Watari had managed to teach L no social etiquette at all, maybe he hadn't bothered. L could have been a lost cause from the get go."
- Noodle Incident: Kira's stint as the babysitter.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: Raye argues this about Light until Light starts living at his house...
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization
- Not Me This Time: When her husband disappears Light is Naomi's number one suspect considering he's been sending him death threats for years.
- Not Worth Killing: Light spares Mello and Matt because he knows that it's bound to piss off L more if he takes them alive. Also Light didn't bother with killing L either because he thought it a better punishment to leave him alive and miserable.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Naomi worries that her son might become one.
- Only Sane Woman: Naomi. She is very moved when Mello (of all people) realizes how very stupid it all is too.
- "Open!" Says Me: averted when Matsuda repeatedly throws his shoulder against a door and it fails to open played straight when Light shoots the lock off and kicks the door down.
- Original Character: Duck
- Parenting the Husband: or rather parenting the Axe Crazy Stalker with a Crush
Naomi: Light, wait up! You're going to put someone's eye out with that gun.
Light:That's sort of the idea.
- Path of Inspiration:
Duck: This is wonderful, now I can even start my own religion claiming to be an avatar of Kira's own god, and I'll be legitimate.
Naomi: No starting religions! That is a terrible idea!
- Playful Hacker: L asks that Light hack into the satellite feeds for him.
- Police Are Useless
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Light is a sexist.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Ah, Mello. You ridiculous British blonde kid. "You shittin' me, bitch!"
- Pretty Freeloaders: Gender-flipped with Light, L, and Matsuda crashing at Naomi's place.
- Prison Rape: frequently implied. Brought up again while Light is gleefully torturing a drug dealer for information:
She probably didn't. It probably had a lot to do with showers and magic bath soap and L. That in itself was enough of an image to scar her for life.
- Prodigal Family: L, with good reason, is morbidly embarrassed by his successors.
- Properly Paranoid: When Naomi is chatting with Light she finds it's something they have in common.
- Psychotic Smirk: Light and Duck. And Naomi.
- Pushed in Front of the Audience: Thanks to Matsuda and Duck, Naomi and Sayu have to go on TV and talk about their kidnapping experience.
- The Quiet One: Matt
- Reality Ensues: Naomi points out how L's whole setup is not practical for any situation other than the Kira case and overall looks totally ridiculous.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: L isn't dead but the computer thinks he is.
- Riding into the Sunset: parodied on Matsuda's soap opera "The Boogeyman" where the Great Detective Y rides off into the sunset, again not bothering to tell anyone his name, and leaving his spurned and neglected lover Hikaru Imagay behind.
- Right in Front of Me: when the taskforce is talking about Mello in front of a (disguised) Mello. Hilarity Ensues.
- Rousseau Was Right: When Naomi attempts to teach Duck about ethics:
Naomi: [Most people] believe that man is essentially good and ride upon that faith throughout life.
: That's a silly thing to believe. If I believed in the essential goodness of man I'd be Kira
too and we certainly don't need two of those.
Naomi: Duck, Kira is a serial killer who believes he kills the irredeemable scum of the earth. I don't think he should be your role model of men who have faith in humanity.
: He wouldn't bother if he thought there was no chance of redemption, he believes that most people have that spark of goodness in their hearts and only some are the scum of the earth. If he thought that all men were worthless he'd either do nothing or he'd just kill everyone.
- Sadistic Choice:
If you're finally going to admit that you're Kira I'll have you know that so far your various futures entail your being my sex slave, the government's sex slave, or locked up in some mental institution. Of the three I prefer your being my sex slave but the decision is yours. Or Naomi-chan could shoot you behind the chemical shed, if that's preferable.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: when L presses the issue of the above...
L So really the only options that we have left after we prove that Light is Kira are for him to be my personal sex slave or to be shot behind the chemical shed. Prove to ourselves at least, I don't think we'll ever convince Soichiro or Matsuda even with the thirteen day rule. So Light since this is your immediate future which would you prefer, death or sex slave?
- Scylla and Charybdis: Naomi relates how it SUCKS being stuck between L and Kira's warring egos:
: You do realize that if L or Kira were to find out they would kill you... If Light finds out he'll probably kill you. However he might keep you around as a pawn and use you to reach his ultimate goal of creating a cult civilization in which he's god. That means that if you don't find yourself drowning in a swimming pool you'll find yourself brainwashed and tortured and then thinking nothing at all... If L finds you that's a whole different story. L won't kill you but he will tie you to a chair and leave you there to rot for fifty days and then pretend to execute you only to leave you alive so that the government can perform nasty experiments on you. He probably won't give you a trial but instead will leave you in a mental institution or have you killed off by thugs. Then he'll steal your name and use it as yet another detective name
and that will be the end of that.
- Sdrawkcab Name: This fic mocks the overused "Imagay" fandom in-joke.
- Selective Obliviousness: Raye Penber, Matsuda
- She Is Not My Girl Friend: Misa is most definitely not Light's girlfriend. He's not interested in L either despite L's many come-ons.
- Sherlock Scan: Four-year old Duck Sherlock Penber shows he's already a very talented detective by deducing that Light is Kira.
- Shoot Out the Lock: during the raid of Mello's base this is Light's solution to Matsuda's "door problem."
- Shout-Out: To Twilight also a Take That
For some reason Naomi found herself thinking of The Godfather, and the horse's head tossed into a bed. Except the horse's head was Matt's and it was Mello's leopard printed waterbed that was soaked in blood.
- Sink-or-Swim Fatherhood: "You can't leave Kira in charge! That's child endangerment!"
- Sissy Villain: Mello
- Slipping a Mickey: L drugs Light and has his way with him.
- Slouch of Villainy: Duck does this when contemplating starting his own religion and being God.
- Smug Smiler: Light and Duck.
- Soap Within a Show: Matsuda's soap opera which is very loosely based on the lives of the Kira Taskforce...
Matsuda: Well, Inamo it turns out had an affair with Y's evil twin A and that A is now back in town but Y doesn't want Hikaru to know because he's afraid that A will seduce Y because they're identical and it's really hard to tell them apart.
Light: And let me guess Hikaru is going to sleep with both of them because he's not only gay but he's also a whore.
Matsuda: Um, well, I don't know if I'd use that term but what if he really can't tell the difference and then… Wow Light, you have really good ideas! You should help me write sometime!
Light: You know, this is excellent proof that I'm not Kira. Ryuzaki may be miserable and death-seeking but if I had been Kira then surely Matsuda would be dead by now.
- Something We Forgot: Between dealing with Light and L and her son it takes a week for Naomi to realize that Raye has been kidnapped.
- Spit Take: Naomi with her coffee, repeatedly when Duck is asking about his parentage... and suggests that he really wanted Ryuk to be his father.
- Stalker with a Crush: Light towards Naomi. Also L towards Light:
"Light had been extremely careful and it would have been ridiculous to jump to the conclusion that he killed via notebook rather than magic bath towel. For months L had been convinced that Light had killed via bath towel, or magic shower soap, or just showers."
- Stalking Is Love
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: "Hello, my name is Hikaru Imagay! My name is a play on my sexuality!"
- Sucksessor: BB, Near, and Mello.
- Sunglasses at Night: Matt wears goggles indoors, in the dark. Naomi "supposed that since it was goggles it hadn't offended her as immediately as sunglasses would have but he still looked like a tool."
- Surrounded by Idiots: Light and L feel this way and Naomi Misora realizes she's Surrounded By Lunatics.
- Take That, Audience!: or Take That Fandom. The Meta joke of Matsuda's soap opera, staring Hikaru Imagay the gay prostitute.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Misa and L are this for the taskforce. L feels this way about Near and Mello and makes Light talk to Near because he doesn't want to talk to him or even let him know he's still alive.
- There Are No Therapists: After the LABB, L refused to help pay for Naomi's therapy.
- Light's parents attempt to make him seek help from a therapist when his mental issues begin to become obvious after blatantly stalking an older woman and her fiance, crashing at their place, and refusing to leave. Light's parents concede that their son MIGHT just have a problem and should probably get help. Naomi notes that it's a couple of years too late. Nor is there any therapy available for all the times L drugged and had his way with Light. But L did give him a gun...
- They Would Cut You Up: L points out that even if he arrested Light as Kira the world governments wouldn't execute him right away. They'd want to study him first to see what effects long-term usage of the notebook has on a human body...
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Kira at Raye and Naomi's place.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: It's Mello, bitch!
- Too Dumb to Live: L. Just after raping Light again, L gives him a gun and a SWAT team to lead.
- Shidoh. Duck convinces him that he's God of the Notebooks.
- Too Much Information: Apparently Shinigami don't have sex organs. Let's not go into how we came by this information.
- Transparent Closet: Lampshaded by Duck as he watches L and Light snipe at each other and asks how they are not married already.
- Trojan Prisoner: Duck does this for Mello and Matt.
- Unreliable Narrator
- Very Punchable Man: Mello (with Naomi doing the punching.)
- Villains Out Shopping: there's an almost domestic scene at Naomi's house where Light and Duck are ignoring each other in the living room.
Naomi: I'm leaving, I'll be back later. Take care of yourselves and try not to destroy any furniture in your petty battles for world domination.
Light: My goal is not world domination.
Naomi: Light, you said you'd be god of the new world. What do you call that?
Light: A new era of enlightenment.
Naomi: Whatever. Try not to get any blood on the carpet.
- Viva Las Vegas: Where Naomi kidnaps Raye to in order to get married.
- Walking Wasteland: Naomi argues that, hypothetically, Kira might be one of these and therefore there really is no need for L to be watching Light shower.
- We Can Rule Together: To placate Misa, Light and Naomi insist that Misa is Goddess of the New World and Naomi is more like secretary.
- We Need a Distraction
- We Want Our Jerk Back
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: The way Duck manipulates public opinion earns Light's grudging respect. He's still a curtain though.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Naomi epically calls out L for being such a deadbeat to the Wammy's orphans.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Naomi names her and Light's son "Duck Sherlock Penber"
- Wig, Dress, Accent: Mello's disguise. The sad thing is that it works.
- With Catlike Tread
- With Friends Like These...: "Naomi realized her closest friend was a Serial Killer who crashed at her house and tormented her son and husband."
- You, Get Me Coffee: this is usually Matsuda's job but when L gets annoyed with having to deal with Near's minion and goes out to get his own coffee. That's when the taskforce mutinies in the hopes of making L's coffeeboy-status permanent.
- You Have to Believe Me
- Your Cheating Heart: Misa is Light's "girlfriend" but Naomi is the only one that Light has an active interest in (despite not having a sex-drive). Naomi slept with Light once and he knocked her up. Naomi gets married to Raye while Light continues to stalk her, and meanwhile L continues to stalk Light.
- Your Little Dismissive Diminutive: Light berates Naomi and her little wallpaper / curtain.
- Younger Than They Look / Older Than They Look: Naomi notes that when Light is Kira he carries himself like an old man and when he has relinquished his memories he suddenly looks and acts as if he's five.