Your Little Dismissive Diminutive
"Look, I know why you choose to have your little, ahem, group therapy sessions in broad daylight."
This is a variety of Stock Phrase
in which characters say something like "your little [x]"
where [x] is their little description
of whatever they're referring to.
Alternatively, the speaker's little use of this phrase can replace the word "your" with a word like his, her, their, etc. and/or replace "little" with a similar enough synonym.
Sometimes this can be used to indicate that such characters are Deadpan Snarkers
, Smug Snakes
, or both, especially if they use it frequently.
See also And Your Little Dog Too
. Insignificant Little Blue Planet
is a subtrope, at least on the cosmic level.
... and here are your little examples:
Your little sequential doodles
Your little fan-created stories
Your little two-hour slide-shows
- In the "Threeboot" version of Legion of Super-Heroes, Colossal Boy is actually an alien from a planet of giants whose super-power is shrinking down to human size. After getting into a minor squabble with his teammates, he chuckles, "I just can't stay mad at you little people."
Your little commercial breakers
Your little dust collectors
- The page quote comes from the Heath Ledger version of The Joker from The Dark Knight, saying it to Gotham's organized crime community. Dismissive diminuitives come up frequently with this version of Joker.
- At the party, when Joker held Rachel at gunpoint and Batman told Joker to drop the gun:
Joker: Oh sure, you just take off your little mask and show us all who you really are, hmm?
Joker: Does Harvey know about you and his little bunny?
- Or when Joker shows up at Harvey's hospital bed and compares the local police to the local organized crime community:
Joker: They're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds.
- Or later in that same conversation:
Joker: I just took your little plan and I turned it on itself.
- In Star Wars: Return of the Jedi:
It was I
who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band.
- Hopper from A Bug's Life uses three of these in the same conversation.
Hopper: You think it's over? All your little stunt did was buy them time! I'll get more grasshoppers and be back next season, but you won't.
A goldfinch shows up.
- Closer: used semi-flirtatiously, semi-patronizingly:
Alice: Look at your little eyes.
Dan: I can't see my little eyes.
- Lean on Me has Joe Clark use this.
Mrs. Elliott: I would love to stay and chat, Mr. Clark, but I've a concert in New York in two weeks and I would like to be prepared.
Joe Clark: What?
Mrs. Elliott: Prepare. You do know what prepare means, don't you? It means ready, capable and up to your job.
Joe Clark: What concert, Mrs. Elliott?
Mrs. Elliott: The one at Lincoln Center. We do one every year.
Joe Clark: Until now. As of this moment, your little concert is cancelled.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- The Wizard of Oz:
- The Warriors:
Cyrus: We have been unable to see the truth, because we have been fighting for ten square feet of ground. Our turf. Our little piece of turf. That's crap, brothers.
Your little time-wasters
- In Mogworld, Mr. Wonderful often calls the group "my little [x]" with x being a word or phrase vaguely apppropriate for the situation. Lampshaded within the story, so he switches it up with "my tiny [x]," "my diminutive [x]" and so forth, to the point of having an open thesaurus on his desk during an interrogation.
- In Death: Eve in Vengeance In Death says in response to a ridiculous supposition at a media conference, "They belong in tiny rooms where they can be discussed by tiny minds."
Your little melodramas
Kerrigan: (to DuGalle) You see at this point, I'm pretty much the Queen Bitch of the Universe, and not all of your little soldiers or space ships will stand in my way again.
- Might and Magic VII: Queen Catherine has been reluctantly convinced that instead of beheading him, she should exile Archibald to Clanker's Lab, or to quote Her Majesty:
Queen Catherine: "...your little island"
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!
- Team Fortress 2: When the Demoman (who specialises with a grenade launcher and stickybombs) is dominated by a Spy, one of the Spy's possible lines is 'Don't worry, you did a good job tossing your little balls around'.
Your little moving doodles
- Elphaba from Wicked not only gets the "Little dog" line but describes Dorothy as "That wretched little farm girl" and tells Glinda to get the truth into "Your blissful little blonde brain".
Your little amateur doodles
- Why you little--!
- In one episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Big McIntosh is the one who dresses down the Cutie Mark Crusaders for spreading gossip around Ponyville.
Big Mac: We don't want to talk to any of y'all right now, so take your little gossip column and your embarrassin' photographs and just go away!
- The phrase "my little pony/ponies" gets tossed around fairly frequently, though not always by the villains.
- Princess Celestia, for example, sometimes uses the "my little ponies", but it's meant to be endearing or motherly, as she is literally larger and much older than everypony else.
- Used many times in Disney's Meet the Robinsons, especially by "Goob"/Bowler Hat Guy, but by others as well.
"I just want to bite his chubby little cheeks!"
"Just worry about your little science gizmo and leave the 'perp' to me."
"Talking frogs with their own little outdoor bar, and so smartly dressed!"
"And now all that's left is to return to Inventco, where I'll pass off your little gizmo as my own."