All Things End
is a Courage the Cowardly Dog
Fanfic written by Couragefan09.
When Courage begins experiencing a horrible pain in his chest that causes him to blackout for short periods of time, Muriel takes him to a vet to find out what's wrong. He's left clueless as to what his condition is but Muriel becomes very odd after the visit. Worried about what's going on, he goes to his computer for help only to find out that his illness is much worse than he expected. Doomed to eventually die from the illness, Muriel plans to have him put down to keep him from suffering in the late stages of the disease. Courage justifiably panics but Computer promises to try and find a way to save him.
With Computer's help, Courage begins a strange journey that just might save his life. Computer takes over the body of another dog to better help him by using the ability that he gained from the episode 'Mega Muriel The Magnificent'. The two slowly become friends, even if Computer wouldn't ever admit it, and Courage slowly but surely learns more about the cynical machine's less than pleasant past.
All Things End is a LongRunner
, having started in late 2010 and is still on-going four years later. Volume I ended in 2014, clocking in at massive 144 chapters, while Volume II is still in the process of being written. The story largely deals with darker themes given the premises. It's a Tear Jerker
with a lot of Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
. It's often humorous during its more lighthearted moments, but it likes to jump between having fun and being soul crushingly depressing. Wrap it all up with a bit of Character Development
thrown in for the various Jerkass
characters from Courage the Cowardly Dog
and you have yourself a strange but heartwarming story. Everyone
has some Hidden Depths
going on in this and it will most likely make you go Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other
at least once.
This Fan Fic contains examples of:
- A Boy and His X: A dog and his computer, as strange as it is.
- Accidental Hug: Courage does this to Computer in chapter 20. Needless to say, the machine is not very amused.
- And I Must Scream: Being a completely immobile yet still sentient computer is about as hellish as it might seem. Computer spent most of his life being neglected if not outright tortured by many of his owners before Courage. Needless to say, it messed him up quite a bit and ultimately led to his JerkassFacade.
- Animate Inanimate Object: The spider legs that sprout out of Computer's real body let him walk around when he's charged up with enough power.
- Animal Talk: Courage can talk to Computer just fine, but humans, not so much.
- Ascended Extra: Computer, who is just a side character in the show, is one of the main characters, if not THE main character here.
- Berserk Button: Don't EVER hurt Muriel in front of Courage, as Rick the Axe Crazy janitor found out. Computer falling for the Fear Eater's illusion of Courage being shot sends him completely over the edge, especially since this was how one of his older owners died.
- Big "NO!": Computer has one when he falls for an illusion of Courage being shot.
- Break the Haughty: The story in general is pretty much hellbent on breaking Computer. Though one could say he was broken long before the story even began... It is on some occasions played for laughs though. Chapters 87 through 89 are the biggest cases of it being on the more humorous side.
- Butt Monkey: Computer's karma is finally catching up with him. He's often on the receiving end of most the slapstick humor.
- Call Back: The story is absolutely loaded with references to other episodes such as Wrath Of The Librarian, Windmill Vandals, Remembrance Of Courage's Past, and of course the story wouldn't have been able to happen without the ability Computer gained from the episode Mega Muriel The Magnificent.
- Can't Stand Them, Can't Live Without Them: As much as Eustace dislikes Courage, he knows how unhappy Muriel would be without him and thus doesn't want him to die from his illness. Computer and Courage practically breathe this trope as well.
- Comfort Food: Coffee eventually becomes this for Computer.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hoo boy, Computer. After making it through a troubled night hiding out in Nowhere Forest he finally opens up to Courage. He's been through a lot of crap and dealt with a lot of terrible people. It almost justifies his cynical nature.
- Deadpan Snarker: Computer, of course. Courage has his moments as well. They tend to bounce off each other a lot.
- Decoy Protagonist: While Courage IS technically the main character, the story largely begins to focus on Computer after a certain point.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Computer says it word for word after Courage finds out about his unpleasant past.
- The Disease That Shall Not Be Named: Courage's condition.
- Face Your Fears: Computer decides to face his worst fear in chapter 40 to overcome the Fear Eater. It ends badly.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Courage gives Computer the nickname 'Compute' and he absolutely loathes it. As the story goes on it pretty much becomes his 'unofficial' name.
- Fire-Forged Friends: It takes going through a LOT of crap before Courage and Computer are willing to admit they're friends.
- First Name Basis: Computer slowly but surely weans off calling Courage a 'twit'. It outright shocks Courage the first time he actually calls him by his name.
- Fish out of Water: For all of his smarts, Computer only has basic knowledge of how 'flesh creatures' work. This often causes a lot of problems for him while he's in a dog's body. Aside from that, all of his social abilities were self taught as a computer and so he is often left stumped by social cues he doesn't understand. He doesn't even know how to do something as simple as eating and immediately assumes he's choking to death the first time he tries it.
- Friendship Moment: The story is filled with these.
- Grudging Thank You: While Courage is always sincere when thanking Computer, this trope is the one Computer usually invokes when thanking Courage. Well, at least before his Character Development.
- Hope Spot: Nearly the whole plot of the story is finding a Hope Spot for Courage.
- Hidden Depths: Everyone
- Incurable Cough of Death: Courage suffers from a fictional illness that runs on Rule of Drama.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Computer shows this plenty throughout the story as he becomes more empathetic towards Courage. Eustace also is shown to be one to a lesser extent.
- Jerkass Fašade: Computer developed his Mean Brit tendencies as a means to cope with his various owners cruelty. Towards the end of Volume I he's shown to be consciously trying to be a nicer person but has a hard time breaking out of older habits. He's genuinely nice deep down but he's been a Jerkass for so long that he doesn't really know how to act any different anymore. He also has a very difficult time trusting people and isn't inclined to treat them any better than how he perceives them to treat him.
- I Know What You Fear: Courage and Computer encounter a monster that takes on the appearance of your worst fear. Courage sees Muriel telling him she doesn't want him anymore Computer sees an old owner of his that he's absolutely terrified of. The illusion picks apart all of his perceived flaws and ultimately mocks him in a fashion similar to how he himself mocks other people. It pretends to kill Courage to take advantage of his guilt and almost manages to beat him because of it.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: In chapter 80 it was reveled that Muriel original wanted to have children but Eustace was unable to give her any.
- Lethal Chef: It becomes a running gag with Computer. He has next to no idea how food works and doesn't find something like swapping out ketchup for hot sauce to be a big deal...
- Love Redeems: Eustace to Muriel, Computer to Courage.
- Magical Computer: Computer is obviously supernatural to some extent. Aside from being sentient, he can hijack organic bodies, hack into anything with so little effort that it probably couldn't even be called hacking, and apparently isn't even tied to his components as all of them were replaced at one point and yet he still exists within the machine.
- The Mean Brit: Computer naturally starts out as this but becomes less and less of one as the story goes on. Getting a verbal beat down from his worst fear and believing that he almost caused Courage die finally knocks him down a couple of pegs. He is still very much a Deadpan Snarker though.
- Misery Builds Character: Shirley clams this in chapter 90.
- Mood Whiplash: The story often jumps between depressing, heartwarming, and even humorous.
- Must Have Caffeine: Computer becomes all but addicted to coffee after trying it for the first time. His addiction becomes a Running Gag through most of the story.
- Mysterious Past: Computer doesn't know what he is or why he came to be. He has a couple of guesses but aside from that he has no idea. As Volume I comes to an end, it seems that some things are unwittingly coming to light....
- Nightmare Sequence: Dreams are a big theme in Volume I and thus this comes into play a lot. Their entire time spent in the Dream World can even count as one.
- No Accounting for Taste: Averted, Eustace really does try to prove that he loves Muriel after she thinks he's happy that Courage is dying.
- No Name Given: Computer is just called Computer and Courage never thinks to question it. He does eventually ask him what his name is but he doesn't have one. After a bit of Character Development Computer decides that he does want a name but neither he nor Courage can figure out a suitable one for him.
- Not Afraid of You Anymore: Computer says it almost word for word after finally overcoming his worst fear.
- Odd Friendship: For all of his Jerkass and Deadpan Snarker tendencies, Computer really does want to help Courage and the two do inadvertently become friends.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Courage is often shocked whenever Computer treats him nicer then usual. And Computer's complete mental breakdown in both the forest and Dreamworld ends up stunning him as well.
- Pet the Dog: Eustace gets this when he realizes Muriel's sadness over Courage.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Computer teases Courage about a dog he met in which he responds with this. He gets his revenge on Computer when Nina comes into the picture, playing up the same thing.
- Shipper on Deck: Courage and even Nina herself when it comes to Computer's 'relationship' with her. They mostly do it because of how horrified he is at 'flesh creature mating rituals', as he calls it.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Computer.
- Talking Appliance Sidekick: Computer to Courage.
- Trauma Conga Line: Computer's Butt Monkey status is all fun and games until you realize he's gone from being attacked by Eustace, nearly euthanize by apathetic veterinarians, almost killed by a crazy janitor, gets into a massive fight with Courage and loses, ends up being mind raped by a monster that takes on both his and Courage's worst fear, causes Courage to get so sick that he almost dies from it, gets into ANOTHER fight with Courage, starts having issues with his past, and finally goes through a crazy dream sequence that was hellbent on both humiliating him and hurting him just so he would get over his past pains.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Exhaustion and frustration causes Courage to take a few levels very briefly. He gives Computer a "The Reason You Suck" Speech and outright attacks him. He quickly snaps out of it after a My God, What Have I Done? moment.
- Took a Level in Kindness: On the opposite side of the spectrum is Computer. As the story progresses it becomes obvious that he cares about Courage in his own roundabout way.
- Undying Loyalty: Courage's loyalty to Muriel knows no bounds. It gets to a point where he's less afraid of his own impending doom and is more angry with himself for making Muriel worry about him. Computer himself tends to be incredibly loyal himself even if he constantly complains about it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Things eventually evolve into this for Courage and Computer.
- Wham Episode: The entire fan fic could be seen as a wham episode to the show. Story wise, there's usually a wham episode every ten to twenty chapters or so.
- "What Do They Fear?" Episode: Several chapters deal with a Fear Eater, a creature that takes on your deepest, darkest fear. Both Courage and Computer temporarily fall for it's illusion.
- Worth Living For: As the story goes on, Computer slowly but surely finds out that he has something worth living for in his friends.