From his father side: If der Erlkönig decides that you need a makeover he won't stop with just you. THE WHOLE WORLD GETS IT! (As much as we can see from the published parts of the 2012 Mind Screw arc anyway.)
- Well, that was just a Lotus-Eater Machine, but still impressive redesign of the whole "world".
Just look at it! And why not? This is a place where personifications of dreams and concepts can walk amongst the muggles.
...both because of her being creepily impersonated by Odile and because he wonders if it's his obsessiveness with her that prevents him from the Character Development needed to stop being a villain (or at least be so bad at being good). He'll get over it eventually, probably with some furthering of his character, and Sarah may allow him a date (or at least have missed him).
This isn't so much the post of one person, it's been noted by everyone on DeviantArt's forums. Jareth was not cast as the villain in the story of his dream, so his Superpowered Evil Side can't use his 'go with the story at all costs' Freudian Excuse.
- Ummm... but it is. Namely mine I just like to comment a lot. (Most people people bet on Armor-Piercing Slap or a "Shut Up" Kiss by Sarah.)
- Jossed. All three!
- Not really without explanation if you read the Artist comments (poor zombies were no match for the combined powers of the residents) but it's still an Off Screen Moment Of Awesome.
- Pretty much confirmed by this.
So if Jareth was a troll:
- His moirail would be James.
- His matesprit would be Sarah (if Jareth could get what he wished).
- His kismesis would be either Erik or Sarah (the later is especially what his dark side would like)
- His auspistice is the trickiest of all as he plays this with all his friends when needed.
- They seem to be related to other kind of trolls too...
- With this in mind his Dark!Side would make the opposite, total fatalism.
(This entry is explicitly added to show what goes on in the comment section! Ant these aren't even all the guesses.)
- ...A child
- ...The audience (in a broad sense). Specific sub-guesses included:
- ...The/An Author. Specific sub-guesses included (not counting Ashe):
- ...Some character. Specific sub-guesses included:
- ...The Anthropomorphic Personification of (you know something is meta when these become reasonable suggestions):
- ...Being forgotten and/or Mainstream Obscurity
- ...The End (The more horrific sub-guesses included things like the subversion of Babies Make Everything Better ala Twilight)
- ...Failure and/or Fate
- ...Writer's Block
- ...Death (admittedly one of the less likely suggestions)
- ...Parental responsibility
- ...Creative Sterility
- ...Being surpassed and replaced by their children
- ...Being Not Allowed to Grow Up
- ...Character Derailment
- Disbelief, or being forgotten, has been confirmed.
- I think his problem is that not only does Erik get new actors but younger and younger ones. While he is stuck with Bowie at age 39.
- He might actually be happy about his height.
- Javert's new actor has made his appearance, though Jareth has yet to comment on it. (James and Eric seem mildly sympathetic.)
- So it happened and Jossed. Jareth is mighty pleased with Javert's new height... and haircut.
- He also appeared in the 12th an 14th books and Dresden to date survived so this is entirely possible. There are also some other amusing coincidencesnote like:
- The two Erlkönig incarnation's height (the Dresden version is inhumanly tall, the Building-verse one is average) and color scheme (Green-Brown vs. Blue-Purple) don't match, though.
- If we give credence to a the later WMG that Jareth might be what the human child became he canonically stole the Erlkönig arc takes on an even darker interpretation.
- What would this make Jadis, though?
- Perhaps Jadis and the Erlkönig combined their power to turn the boy into Jareth? After all, he's much more powerful than Toby probably would have turned out to be as a goblin.
- Jadis a half-giantess so Jareth and Loki are probably related through her. But not necessarily as closely as the original WMG suggests, as there could be several Winter Monarch the same way there are multiple "Death"s.
"I thought a clever G-rated character could use the power of censorship to negate the attacks of the PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17 opponents. They can jam guns, blunt swords, allow fighter pilots to eject just in the nick of time, and still retain the ability to neutralize their enemies with a bucket of water."
- Conversely this was an answer on a comment declaring: "And this is why G-rated fantasy realms shouldn't declare war on PG-13 characters.". There is death in PG-13 so if that character can force his story conventions on the G-rated realm... things could get ugly.
- They accidentally had an Almost Kiss, Sarah has so far been the one helping Jamie through his grief (to the point where he stayed out all night) and Éponine's reaction to his absence was rather... chilly. Sarah and Jamie's friendship will be mistaken for something... deeper by lots of people, causing yet more instability in the Magic World since the many magic characters think the Goblin King's intended is shagging his best friend... Jareth will probably get sucked in and pull a I Want My Beloved to Be Happy, only for Sarah to smack him upside the head and shout that she's not with Jamie!