Marisa Tomei (/məˈrɪsə toʊˈmeɪ/; Italian pronunciation: [maˈriːza toˈmɛi]; born December 4, 1964 in Brooklyn, New York) is a very prolific American actress.
In 2019, the documentary show Finding Your Roots discovered that she and Julianne Moore are cousins.
- 1983 As the World Turns as Marcy Thompson
- 1987 A Different World as Maggie Lauten
- 1994 Saturday Night Live as Herself
- 1996 Seinfeld as Herself
- 2003 The Simpsons as Sara Sloane
- 2006 Rescue Me as Angie
- 2012 Comedy Bang! Bang! as Herself
- 2015 Empire as Mimi Whiteman
- 2018 The Handmaid's Tale as Mrs. O'Conner
- 1984 The Flamingo Kid as Mandy
- 1984 The Toxic Avenger as Health Club Girl
- 1991 Oscar as Lisa Provolone
- 1992 My Cousin Vinny as Mona Lisa Vito (her Star-Making Role, won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress)
- 1993 Chaplin as Mabel Normand
- 1994 Only You as Faith Corvatch
- 1994 The Paper as Martha Hackett
- 1995 The Perez Family as Dorita Evita Perez
- 1995 Four Rooms as Margaret
- 2000 Happy Accidents as Ruby Weaver
- 2000 The Watcher as Dr. Polly Beilman
- 2000 What Women Want as Lola
- 2001 In the Bedroom as Natalie
- 2002 The Wild Thornberrys Movie as Bree Blackburn
- 2003 Anger Management as Linda
- 2004 Alfie as Julie
- 2007 Wild Hogs as Maggie
- 2007 Before the Devil Knows You're Dead as Gina Hanson
- 2008 War, Inc. as Natalie Hegalhuzen
- 2008 The Wrestler as Cassidy/Pam
- 2010 Cyrus as Molly
- 2011 The Lincoln Lawyer as Maggie McPherson
- 2011 Salvation Boulevard as Honey Foster
- 2011 Crazy Stupid Love as Kate
- 2011 The Ides of March as Ida Horowicz
- 2015 Trainwreck as The Dog Owner
- 2015 Love the Coopers as Emma
- 2015 The Big Short as Cynthia Baum
- Marvel Cinematic Universe as May Parker
- 2018 The First Purge as Dr. May Updale
- 2020 The King of Staten Island as Margie Carlin
Tropes related to Marisa Tomei include:
- As Herself: In Seinfeld, with the gag being that George has long had a crush on her and actually gets in a position to act on it...except he's "sort of" engaged.
- Chewing the Scenery: She loves being theatrical at her films. There are times where she engages another Large Ham character in a Ham-to-Ham Combat. (both can be seen in the famous "My biological clock" scene that probably helped her get an Oscar).
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Majority of her characters are cute, but really, really... feisty.
- Did Not Get The Guy: Her characters tend to not end up with her Love Interest. Circumstances vary.
- Evil Redhead: Her villainous roles, by default.
- Fiery Redhead: Her most common role.
- Genki Girl: Sometimes overlapping with Fiery Redhead above.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Another common role for her is The Hero's Love Interest.
- The Lancer: Her earlier roles tend to be the Deuteragonist or/and the second fiddle.
- Ms. Fanservice: Another common character type she frequently plays.
- Older Than They Look: She's in her 50s and looks at least a decade younger. This was actually why so many were confused when she was cast as Aunt May in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as most adaptations show May as a much older woman.
- Romantic Comedy: Majority of her films, though most tend to be a Deconstructive Parody of the genre.