It takes place during The Yugoslav Wars that has a reporter, Michael Henderson (Dillane) traveling there to cover the events happening in the Balkans. As he spends more time there, the situation in Yugoslavia continues to deteriorate.
It was released on November 6, 1997.
Tropes for the film:
- The '90s: Takes place in the early 1990s when the Yugoslav wars are starting to break out.
- The Film of the Book: Based on Michael Nicholson's Natashas Story.
- Music for Courage: Subverted at the end when hundreds of people come to see Harun play the cello. Earlier, however, Harun said he'd only do this when Sarajevo became the worst place on Earth (at the time it was only rated the 14th place on Earth).
- Running Gag: Throughout the film it is joked that Sarajevo was ranked as the 14th worst place in the world when the crisis was occurring.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The epilogue of the movie reveals Emira still lives in England.