The film provides examples of the following tropes:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: At the start of the film, John's ex-wife Jamie walks in on him masturbating to Internet porn and decides to help him find a date.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Happens twice — Molly closes the door of her bedroom (she normally leaves it open) and she and John begin making out before being startled by the sound of Cyrus screaming, having had a "night terror." Later, after Cyrus has moved out, they come home and begin having sex in the living room before Cyrus suddenly turns on a light and announces he wants to move back in.
- Love Triangle: A variation in that John finds himself competing for Molly's attentions with her son Cyrus.
- Meet Cute: Molly approaches John while he's taking a whiz in the bushes during a party, and they joke around before returning to the party and dancing to The Human League's "Don't You Want Me?"
- My Mom Is Off Limits!: The premise of the movie in a nutshell. It's even on the poster.Cyrus: Seriously, don't fuck my mom!
- Manchild: Lampshaded by Molly, who says that 21-year-old Cyrus is very mature in a lot of ways, but in other ways, he has not come into himself yet.