This is a movie that deconstructs the classic Boy Meets Girl trope brilliantly. Ruby (Tomei) is a codependent who always dates men that she needs to fix. Sam (D'Onofrio) is a man with many odd quirks, not least of which includes his story that he traveled back in time to find her. Ruby, caught up in coincidences and her feelings for him, struggles to balance her own needs as well as deciding whether or not to believe him.
- Cassandra Truth: Sam tells actor Anthony Michael Hall what the future is like; it's taken as improv.
- Downer Beginning: The first words of the movie are Ruby tearfully asking Sam about a possible murder.
- Embarrassing Cover Up: Sam claims his unhappy childhood is a cover story. Why is it unhappy? Because he couldn't afford a happy one.
- How We Got Here: The first act of the story is framed as Ruby's talk with her therapist.
- I Can Explain: Sam to Ruby when she finds out what he's been sketching throughout the movie.
- Killer Rabbit: Sam is terrified of tiny dogs.