Kevin Spacey Fowler (born July 26, 1959) is an American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter.
Though he claims to be a theater actor at heart and always puts the stage before the screen, he has starred in countless films, such as his role as sadistic boss Buddy Ackerman in Swimming with Sharks, handicapped small-time criminal Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects (winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor), midlife-crisis-sufferer Lester Burnham in American Beauty (winning the Academy Award for Best Actor), a mental patient who may well be an extraterrestrial in K-PAX, the ruthless supervillain Lex Luthor in Superman Returns (in which he was reunited with Usual Suspects director Bryan Singer), suave detective Jack Vincennes in L.A. Confidential, an MIT math professor turned Blackjack hustler in 21, and legendary American singer-songwriter Bobby Darin in the biopic Beyond the Sea, a film which he also directed, produced and co-wrote. From 2013 to 2017, he starred in the Netflix original series House of Cards as the morally ambiguous congressman Francis Underwood (he was also one of the show's executive producers).
In addition to his dramatic and comedic roles, Spacey is well-known as one of the best impressionists in Hollywood, as demonstrated on Inside the Actors Studio and his multiple Saturday Night Live appearances.
In October 2017 actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of having made sexual advances toward him in 1986, when Rapp was 14 years old. Spacey responded on his Twitter feed that he had no memory of the encounter, but offered his "sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior". In the same tweet Spacey publicly came out as gay, which caused outrage in the LGBTQ community, who accused Spacey of distracting people from the allegations by coming out (especially given that accusations of sexual desire for under-age boys have basically been the homophobic version of the Blood Libel for decades). Shortly thereafter, Richard Dreyfuss' son Harry accused Spacey of assaulting him in 2008, and several other individuals came out with similar accusations. Outside the film industry, the Old Vic Theatre in London, where Spacey had been Artistic Director from 2004 to 2015, announced that twenty different people had made accusations of sexual harassment or assault against him, with fourteen allegations relating to behaviour that would constitute criminal offenses.
As a result, Spacey quickly became Persona Non Grata in the entertainment industry. He was fired from House of Cards and outright removed from the already completed film All the Money in the World, although he still has a very small appearance in the movie.note
Spacey's final film (to date), Billionaire Boys Club, was completed long before the allegations came to light, but had trouble finding a distributor, even before Spacey's fall from grace. It took over two years to be released, and when it was, it posted miserable opening day numbers at the box office,note thus almost certainly permanently establishing him as box office poison and, combined with the allegations, likely destroying any chance of a comeback for him.
- Working Girl (1988) — Bob Speck
- See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) — Kirgo
- Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) — John Williamson
- Iron Will (1994) — Harry Kingsley
- The Ref (1994) — Lloyd Chasseur
- Swimming with Sharks (1994) — Buddy Ackerman
- Outbreak (1995) — Casey Schuler
- Se7en (1995) — John Doe
- The Usual Suspects (1995) — Verbal Kint aka, Keyser Söze
- A Time to Kill (1996) — D.A. Rufus Buckley
- L.A. Confidential (1997) — Jack Vincennes
- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997) — Jim Williams
- The Negotiator (1998) — Chris Sabian
- A Bug's Life (1998) — Hopper (voice)
- American Beauty (1999) — Lester Burnham
- Pay It Forward (2000) — Eugene Simonet
- K-PAX (2001) — Prot
- The Shipping News (2001) — Quoyle
- Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) — Kevin Spacey as Dr. Evil in Austinpussy
- The Life of David Gale (2003) — David Gale
- Beyond the Sea (2004) — Bobby Darin (also director)
- Edison (2005) — Detective Levon Wallace
- Superman Returns (2006) — Lex Luthor
- Fred Claus (2007) — Clyde
- 21 (2008) — Mickey Rosa
- Moon (2009) — GERTY (voice)
- The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) — Larry Hooper
- Horrible Bosses (2011) and sequel (2014) — Dave Harken
- Margin Call (2011) — Sam Rogers
- Elvis And Nixon (2015) — Richard Nixon
- Nine Lives (2016) — Tom Brand
- Baby Driver (2017) — Doc
- Billionaire Boys Club (2018) — Ron Levin
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) — Jonathan Irons