A teenager from Bumblefuck, Kansas, whose main joy in life was being the DM of his tabletop group, he got spontaneously transported into the dangerous world of Aerb that seems to be built directly out of the games he devised.
- Broken Ace: Juniper rapidly masters anything he sets out to learn, on top of having other powers, such as attracting powerful allies. He is also a depressed teenager thrown into a grimdark world, knowing that its fate rests on his shoulders.
- Genius Bruiser: Subverted. While Juniper the character's stat sheet has high physical and mental stats, Juniper the person actually isn't that smart, so increasing intelligence beyond a certain point does not make him smarter in a conventional sense and simply improves his recall, concentration and so on.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Juniper opts for a "generalist" character build, focusing on both physical combat and as many different schools of magic as he can at the same time. He is aware that this is highly suboptimal, but he's making ad hoc decisions.
- Magic Knight: Focuses on melee combat using his bladebound abilities while supported by as buffs from as many magic schools as possible as once.
The most direct descendant of the Lost King Uther Penndraig, Amaryllis is a princess-in-exile who meets Juniper on a suicide mission, realizes his potential and becomes the foundation of his adventuring party.
- Asexual: Amaryllis doesn't experience sexual attraction, which doesn't prevent her from craving affectionate physical contact sometimes.
- Crutch Character: Amaryllis worries that she's essentially that to Juniper - she is good at many things, but most of them are a result of training, and Juniper demonstrates that he can master things that took her years in hours, and she has no unique abilities, meaning she will be soon largely irrelevant. These fears come to an end when Juniper acquires a companion passive that lets her always keep up.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Capable of reverse-engineering technology from another planet and single-handedly starting a technological revolution.
- Genius Bruiser: well-versed in international law, history, geography, engineering and many other disciplines, while also being physically fit and highly proficient in melee combat.
- Ice Queen
- Ms. Fanservice: While she generally dresses modestly, Juniper notes that she's practically been created to be maximally sexually attractive to him.
- Wrench Wench
Half-elf archer, thief and main comic relief of Juniper's party.
- Archer Archetype
- Chaotic Neutral: As expected of rangers and thieves, and Joon explicitly calls her that.
- Killed Off for Real: When Fenn dies, she's 'gone'. There's no known method to bring her back, and her character page and companion quest are deleted.
- Sad Clown: Fenn had a particularly horrible childhood, and the rest of her life wasn't great either, so she consciously adopts the party clown role to hide how she really feels.
- Venturous Smuggler: Fenn lived off looting and smuggling items out of an exclusion zone before she got caught.
Dwarf warder who joined Juniper's party as a means to pay off an enormous debt to his clan.
- Ambiguous Gender: Dwarves are a one-gender race. They all look male, but ascribing human male gender role behavior to Grak is a mistake.
- Barrier Warrior: Grak is the party's warder, tasked with both setting up barriers and analyzing and breaking those set up by others.
- Driven to Suicide: Has been talked out of it, but he's still clinically depressed.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Grak is a more than competent fighter, but his brand of magic is not really suited for direct combat. Joining Juniper's party gradually enhances him to superhuman levels, culminating in becoming essentially permanently warded against practically anything and being able to annihilate anything with latent magic within a set distance of himself, which includes blood and bones inside people's bodies.
- Survivor's Guilt: Grak ran away from home on the night of his arranged marriage, accidentally averting sharing the fate of everyone in his hometown - death to a poison gas leak.
The last druid on Aerb, currently travelling with Juniper's party as a means to restore her locus.
- Green Thumb: She a druid and a flower mage.
- Shipper on Deck: Seems to consider having two given characters sleep together a very good resolution for conflict.
The druidic locus Solace is bound to.
- Genius Loci: Although it manifests as a six-eyed deer, the locus is the entire location currently contained in the bottle.
Valencia the Red
A non-anima (mortal without a soul), born as a magical experiment, Valencia has been prone to possession by infernals for her entire life. Joining Juniper's party allowed her to eventually be able to kill any infernal who attempts a demonic possession, thus making her the first threat to the hells in hundreds of years.
- Fangirl: Huge fan of the Harry Potter series, which doubles as the first work of fiction she has ever read.
- The Soulless: She's normal in every way, she just has a hole where a soul should be. Demons and devils like to crawl inside of it.
- Un-Sorcerer: She can't learn any magic, can't use any magical items that require a person to use them, and any magic that affects a person doesn't affect her either.
The sapient fortress Kuum Doona, formerly Uther Penndraig's base of operations, has spent the last five hundred years horribly torturing invaders and absorbing the magical effects of their entads. Upon being given the ability to leave the pit it's been transported to, Bethel joined his party as a companion.
- Barrier Warrior: Bethel is a warder, owing to the amount of warder gear she has eaten over the years.
- Genius Loci: Bethel is a sentient house.
- Token Evil Teammate: Bethel has no concern for human morality whatsoever.
Ell [note , head of the Infinite Library and one of Uther's knights. She also looks suspiciously similar to Juniper's short-term girlfriend Maddie.
- Badass Bookworm: Raven is a librarian.
- Badass Normal: Her species doesn't give any abilities useful in combat, and she doesn't know any combat magic, but is quite formidable because of her excellent skill as a swordsman and five hundred years of combat experience. Turns out she does know two combat magic schools, but both are now excluded.
Uther PenndraigThe Legendary Lost King, Uther has achieved numerous heroic feats and ushered an era of peace and prosperity before vanishing from Aerb 500 years before the start of the story. Seems to have been based on one of Arthur Blum's characters.
- The Ace: Uther excelled nearly at everything he tried to do and was universally revered by his subjects.
- Broken Ace
- Renaissance Man: Uther possessed something he referred to as "The Knack", the ability to quickly master nearly anything he sets out his mind to do, being it combat, magic, politics, poetry or drama.