The following page lists the active player characters and prominent non-player characters in the roleplay Persona: Shadows of the Mind.
The Summoners (Player Characters)
- "Do not shy away from your conflicts. There is danger afoot, and anger will be your truest defense."
An American Junior student at Horizon Academy. As the youngest son of a wealthy family, James was admonished for being a slacker and all-around ne'er-do-well, and was shipped off to Horizon by his father to set his priorities straight. At Horizon, James has continued in his impudent ways, and it is unknown if he shall mature in due time.
James' Major Arcana is The Fool, which represents innocence, divine inspiration, madness, freedom, spontaneity, inexperience, chaos and creativity. His strong element is fire, and his weak element is lightning.
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Favors an almost comically large, golden-plated double-action revolver.
- Break Them by Talking: Leviathan summons a false mirror of his older brother Robert, who belittles him and call him pathetic among other grave insults."Nobody can stand you. You talk like a stoner six year old and think half as fast. All you've ever 'accomplished' is because of your dad's influence. The teachers were all too afraid to fail you, so they settled for C's. You're not as good and an athlete as you think you are, and you've never had a girlfriend for longer than a month. God, you're pathetic."
- The Gunslinger
- Playing with Fire
- Revolvers Are Just Better
- The Slacker: This is the reason he was made to attend Horizon in the first place.
- "Thus you shall have my aid. I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Phaeton, the radiant one cast down from the blazing chariot. My power is yours, young one. Now use it!"
- "Dry your eyes, my child. You are needed, and you have strength to give in the defense of others."
An Italian-Canadian Junior student at Horizon Academy. As the eldest of five children, Maria has helped raise her younger siblings since the deaths of her mother and nonna in a car accident six years prior to her Junior year at Horizon. Calm, practical, and most of all caring, Maria shows strong maternal instincts towards her brothers and sisters (as well as anyone else who lets her).
Maria's Major Arcana is The Empress, which represents maternity, prosperity, creativity, sexuality, abundance, fertility, protection, and comfort. Her strong element is fire, and her weak element is wind.
- Airport Novel: When waiting for her revised schedule in the beginning of the roleplay, Maria is reading a cheesy romance novel to pass the time.
- Agent Scully: Along with Kiera, she is the most adamant of the Summoners that the Velvet Room visits and the Dreamscape itself are just some dream, nothing more.
- She seems to become a Skeptic No Longer after she first awakens to her Persona.
- Archer Archetype: Maria wields a golden-tipped longbow in combat.
- Big Sister Instinct
- Break Them by Talking: Leviathan confronts Maria with a false shadow of her grandmother who says some absolutely horrible things to her."Don't involve me in this sad excuse for effort. I don't want people thinking that I had any part in the way you live your life... I was always so disappointed with how you turned out. Knowing that you were the one tasked with taking care of your family? I bet everyone wishes that you had died in that car crash instead of me."
- Cool Big Sis
- Mage Marksman
- Playing with Fire
- Team Mom: Befitting her Arcana and her role amongst her siblings, Maria is very maternal and caring.
- Thicker Than Water: Maria cares for her siblings a great deal.
- "Yes, embrace your guardian spirit! I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Vesta, the fire that sustains the most sacred sanctuary. I shall lend you my power!"
- "It appears you have the strength to call on me after all. Good. Such words cannot be taken in stride. Embrace your inner strength, my dear; you are above such insults."
An American Senior student at Horizon Academy. A consummate socialite, Keira has a large social circle and enjoys nothing more than helping a friend in need by lending an ear. Kind, positive, and loyal, Keira is a bright spot in many of her friends' lives; this comes with the expense of reaching her true academic potential.
Keira's Major Arcana is The Lovers, which represents crossroads, decisions, relationships, romance, cheerfulness, and interpersonal conflicts. Her strong element is light, and her weak element is darkness.
- Agent Scully: Like Maria, Keira flat-out refuses to believe that the events in the Velvet Room are real at first.
- Also like Maria, these doubts seem to evaporate when her Persona awakens during the fight against Leviathan.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones: When confronted by the twisted shadow of her boyfriend Nick during her first night in the Dreamscape, she just about loses it.
- Break Them by Talking: Like the other summoners, Leviathan attacks her psyche with a twisted image of a loved one; in Keira's case, a dismissive imitation of her boyfriend Nick."I didn't want to offend you. You're fun to fool around with, so... I just go along with the things that keep you happy. I mean, don't get me wrong, you're good enough to hang around with until someone better comes along."
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She could probably pull off straight A's, but chooses to focus on her friends and social life.
- Combat Hand Fan: Within the Dreamscape, Keira is armed with a tessen, which is a sort of metallic Japanese war fan
- Light 'em Up
- Magical Girlfriend: After awakening to her Persona, she technically becomes this to Nick.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Somewhat, in relation to her more reserved boyfriend Nick.
- Nice Girl: Keira is really just a sweetheart.
- Precision F-Strike: True to her gentle nature, Keira rarely speaks in a spiteful or rude tone. This tendency crumbles when confronted by the false shadow of Nick.
- "Yes, you truly see, do you not? I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Iris, she who carries the whim of the great powers across the heavens. I shall show you your inner strength, your strength of heart. Let us be as one."
- "At last, you have come to know me, to know yourself. The road ahead will be full of peril; trust in your persistence and know victory."
A Canadian Sophomore student at Horizon Academy. A burgeoning hockey star, Brendan took to the sport at a very young age and has thus focused on his skills for most of his life; coming at the expense of some maturity. Having recently failed to make the cut in the Junior hockey leagues, Brendan now sees his career through the lens of doubt, fearing a life outside of hockey.
Brendan's Major Arcana is The Chariot, which represents victory, conquest, self-assertion, self-confidence, control, war and command. His strong element is physical, and his weak element is darkness.
- Break Them by Talking: Differently from the other seven summoners present in the Ice Rink Dreamscape, Brendan's shadow taunts him directly before becoming Leviathan to defend itself against the new arrivals."Wouldn't it just be easier to just... give everything up? Let it all take care of itself? Come on... let go."
- Good Luck Charm: Brendan owns a hockey puck signed by one of his favorite NHL players.
- Glory Seeker
- Hot-Blooded: He is easy to provoke into fights, both on and off of the ice.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Above all, Brendan wants to be as good at hockey as he possibly can be; since it is the primary focus of his life, he does not take failing at the sport very well.
- Sixth Ranger: Brendan is the first of the summoners outside of the original seven, and also the first to awaken to his Persona through confronting his shadow instead of being coaxed into it through extreme duress.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Attempts to tell off his shadow as it berates him. It doesn't work.
- "I shall come to you whether far or near, for I am always within. I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Guan Yu, the roaring green dragon of the second kingdom. Together and as one, we will hold fast and find glory."
- "Now is the time for you to claim your own path in life. You can't just surrender to despair! Join with me; I know you can do it!"
A Japanese-Russian Senior exchange student at Horizon Academy. Makoto is a quiet, reserved individual who often shirks away from socialization. After leaving a life of unpopularity and suspicion in Japan, Makoto moved in with her mother and new stepfather in Toronto. From there she attended Horizon Academy, maintaining the image of a distant loner.
Makoto's Major Arcana is The Hermit, which represents wisdom, introspection, solitude, retreat and philosophical searches. Her strong element is ice, and her weak element is light.
- Break Them by Talking: Makoto is confronted in the Dreamscape by a conjured facade of her mother, brought forth by Leviathan."Oh look, you're finally able to make friends. I guess you aren't as much of a layabout as your useless father was after all."
- Blade on a Stick: After awakening to her Persona, Makoto wields a large halberd for self defense.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She is often off in her own world, preoccupied with her own thoughts.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the non-verbal variety.
- Eyepatch of Power: She wears a medical eyepatch over a scarred eye most of the time.
- Evil Laugh: Has cackled to herself a number of times when particularly pleased with herself.
- Friendless Background
- The Gadfly: Again non-verbally, she often silently judges others in her head.
- Half-Breed Discrimination: She was not treated well in Japan partly due to her russian father.
- An Ice Person
- Messy Hair
- No Social Skills: Subverted. It's not that she can't socialize with people; it's just that she doesn't want to.
- The Quiet One
- "Then let it be so! I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Kitsune, the shapeshifting spirit of enlightenment and knowledge. With our strengths combined, none shall stand in our way!"
- "You and I both know you are stronger than this petty anger. Harness your emotions, forge them into a blade of reason and resolve!"
A British Senior exchange student at Horizon Academy. Oscar was born into wealth and luxury in England, but his rowdy nature led to frequent fights with his brothers. Eventually his parents grew tired of the scuffles and property damage, and sent the young Oscar overseas to attend boarding school far away from home. Now a justice-minded ascetic, Oscar spends much of his free time participating in sports and dealing with bullies.
Oscar's Major Arcana is The Strength, which represents morality about the stronger power of self-control, gentleness, courage and virtue over brute force. His strong element is physical, and his weak element is darkness.
- Abusive Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Tarinson were less than stellar guardians.
- Affluent Ascetic: Oscar comes from a very wealthy family with stakes in the old mining industry. After becoming estranged from the rest of the Tarinsons, he chooses to live with as few physical possessions as possible; even his cellphone is several years behind the curve.
- The Big Guy: Oscar is physically minded, participates in several school sports, and has a Persona suited to physically attacking his enemies.
- Break Them by Talking: Subverted. While everyone else is taunted mercilessly by Leviathan's perverse shades of their loved ones, Oscar is driven over the edge by the mere sight of his father and siblings.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Oscar has a predisposition for seeking out justice on his own terms, and sometimes actively seeks out bullies in order to put a stop to their acts.
- Hot-Blooded: It doesn't take much to get him angry.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: Oscar has no plans on ever contacting his family ever again, choosing to never forgive them for spurning him as a child.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot"FUUUUCK YOOOOOU!"
- Whip Sword: Wields a katana on a chainas his personal armament.
- "Control yourself, and know victory! I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Ares, the lord of glorious battle! Victory lies in knowing one's self... how will you attain it?"
- "Yes, yes, that's it! Get mad! Are you really going to let him talk to you like that, or are you gonna stand up and fight?"
An Irish-Canadian Junior student at Horizon Academy. Max spent much of his academic career cruising past opportunities and outstanding achievements, and now nearing the end of his schooling, his prime objective is to enjoy himself. The recent, mysterious death of his mother has made his stake in the occult events quite personal.
Max's Major Arcana is The Temperance, which represents balance, moderation, patience, purpose, meaning, and synthesis. His strong element is physical, and his weak element is ice.
- The Ace: Almost completely averted in his very first maneuver with Satyr; using his Persona to have himself thrown across an entire hockey rink.
- To say nothing of when he fell flat on his face when he tried to fly in the Velvet Room.
- Ambiguously Gay: Not so much played for laughs as much as it is a simple fact. He is involved in dance, practices some traditionally feminine beauty tasks such as painting his nails, and also flirts with men.
- Anime Hair: His pink-tipped hair is the closest the cast gets.
- Bishōnen: The only thing he is missing in the bishie is the height, being only 5'5".
- In fact, the only other summoners shorter than him are Maria and possibly Kieran, who does not have an official height listed but is described as 'diminutive'.
- Break Them by Talking: Max receives a harsh tongue lashing from a twisted reflection of his father, which to Leviathan's credit, might not be off from the real thing..."I should never have left you alone, Maxie. Figures you couldn't take care of your mom, much less yourself. You let her die, alone and in agony!"
- The Charmer: Max colors much of his speech with a dry wit, played off for a sense of smoothness.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Good Parents: His mother was a caring woman who worked hard to ensure her son was well taken care of after her divorce from Max's father. Judging by Max's despair over her death, it's clear that the two were quite close.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Barely into the start of the roleplay, Max immediately establishes the force of gravity to be his one true adversary. He attempts to fly or at least launch himself over a great distance on at least three different occasions once he gains autonomy in the dreamscape; this causes him to fall flat on his face more than once.
- Horned Humanoid: Specifically his Persona, Satyr.
- Stepford Smiler: During the first night in the Dreamscape proper, Max spends much of his time in an upbeat, snarky mood. This mood immediately follows him tearfully falling asleep in his recently deceased mother's bed.
- Troubled, but Cute: Max is far below the academic standard and is likely to have a lot of trouble getting over his mother's death. Regardless, he's implied to be quite attractive and has an upbeat (if not grievously flippant) attitude during the first night in the Dreamscape.
- "Very good, very good! I am thou. Thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Satyr, the flute-wielding trickster, here to show you the power within yourself. Together, let us show this monster how to really throw down!"
- "You will need my help after all, won't you? No matter, no one can stand on their own forever. Heed my call, then."
A Japanese-Canadian sophomore student at Horizon Academy. Kieran was the product of a fling between a Japanese fisherman and a Canadian seamstress, and the nature of the fishing business means that Kieran rarely sees his father. Kieran pushes himself to be at his best in whatever he pursues in order to prove himself from his absentee parent. With his drive for success comes the occasional bout of insecurity in his own accomplishments.
Kieran's Major Arcana is The Star, which represents hope, self-confidence, faith, altruism, luck, generosity, peace and joy. His strong element is light, and his weak element is fire.
- Alliterative Name: "Kieran Ikeda".
- Break Them by Talking: In the Dreamscape, Kieran in taunted by a malicious shadow of his father conjured by Leviathan."God, no wonder I won't show up. Not if this is what you get up to. Not like you're anything important, especially not since you came out of that.. woman."
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Daddy Issues: His dad left him soon after he was born to return to his career as a fisherman, and mostly keeps up with Kieran through written correspondence. Kieran still desperately wants to prove himself to his father.
- Epic Flail: Kieran is equipped with a hefty meteor hammer, an ancient Chinese weapon that is essentially two metal spheres connected by a chain.
- I Just Want to Be Special
- Light 'em Up
- Light-Haired Swimmer: Kieran's hair is described as 'light', and his primary extracurricular activity is competitive swimming.
- Screw Destiny: He doesn't take very kindly to Igor's talk of discovering power and things to come."Drop your potential rubbish."
- We Help the Helpless"I can't just stand beside, if someone is in trouble."
- When You Coming Home, Dad?
- "Hear me now! I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Pleiades, the light within the darkest night. Join with me now, and let us blaze a trail across oblivion!"
- "This place exists between dreams and reality, mind and matter. It is a room open only to those who have signed a contract, binding them to the responsibility to their actions."
The enigmatic master of the strange Velvet Room. Igor seems to have a great deal of insight into the ordeals facing the protagonists, and claims that it is his duty to oversee their growth. Though his vast knowledge and supernatural nature implies great power at his disposal, he claims that the task of defeating the menace lurking within the Dreamscape must fall to the guests of the Velvet Room, not himself.
Igor speaks in puzzling phrases of things to come and potential to be reached, but none know his true motives or masters, if there are any at all.
- All-Powerful Bystander: Judging by his status as the master of the Velvet Room, a place of human psyche made material, it is likely that he is incredibly powerful, and it is likely this power of his that keeps the Velvet Room running as it does.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Catchphrase: "Welcome to the Velvet Room."
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Creepy Good: While his countenance is unnerving to say the very least, he firmly insists that he is on the side of the protagonists in their struggles to come and wishes only to help them grow as guests of his Velvet Room.
- Finger-Tenting: This is his most common mannerism, though he often runs a hand across his desk's crystal ball as well.
- Gag Nose: To the point that there is an in-universe song written by one of his attendants about his most distinguishing feature.
- Gonk: His features are exaggerated to the point where he does not look like he is entirely human.
- Omniscient Morality License: Clearly knows more than he lets on (and he totes this fact at the heroes frequently), but prefers that they discover the depths of their powers and their situation themselves.
- Pointy Ears
- Powers That Be: Is he a kindly god looking out for his subjects? A Faustian devil looking to trick the protagonists into doing his bidding? Perhaps the embodiment of the Velvet Room itself? Nothing is for certain, other than that he transcends the natural world.
- Spirit Advisor: Challenging series convention since Persona 3, the entire cast of Persona users are able to interact with Igor as was the case with the first two games in the series, instead of Igor's role being delegated solely to the main characters of Persona 3, 4, and 5.
- Theme Naming: Igor and all of his attendants (save for Veronica; see below) are named after characters in Mary Shelley's ''Frankenstein''.
- "Honored guests, I regret to inform you that such details are beyond my power to give. I ask that you speak the passphrase, and awaken yourselves to the true purpose of this room, so that we may continue in earnest. There is work to be done, and my master would have your attention."
As vague and mysterious as her master, Veronica is Igor's stoic attendant in the Velvet Room. She appeared for a short time in the real world masquerading as a Horizon Academy secretary, keeping watch over the enrollment process of the protagonists to ensure that she could witness their signing of a contract.
In her true guise as a Velvet Room attendant, her purpose is as of yet unknown to the summoners, but one would assume it involves assisting Igor in whatever goals he may have in mind.
- Ambiguously Human: Veronica (as well as her 'siblings' in the games: Elizabeth, Theodore, Margaret, and possibly Caroline & Justine) is a "resident" of the Velvet Room, a place which is somehow related to the collective unconsciousness of humanity. She also possesses glowing yellow eyes much like the Shadows; a trait that her master notably lacks.
- Emotionless Girl: In their limited exposure to the Velvet Room and thus Veronica herself, the protagonists have seen little to no personality in the strange attendant besides her unwavering dedication to her duties as an attendant; even then she seems to do her attending with minimal emotion.
- Theme Naming: Veronica breaks the thematic naming of the Velvet Room residents after characters in or involved with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
- The DM would like to note that while her name could be chalked up to the fictional granddaughter of Frankenstein in the Marvel Comic Universe, Veronica von Frankenstein, in truth her name not aligning with the theme is really because the DM fucked up and forgot.
- Throw the Book at Them: Averted. While her siblings typically carry the Persona Compendium in their respective games, there is no need for her to do so since none of the summoners possess the power of the Wild Card. She carries a clipboard instead.
Henry GauthierHorizon Academy's Class Representative and all-around star student. In addition to his involvement in sports, extracurricular activities both artistic and administrative in nature, and his flawless grade record, Henry is also the son of the Academy's president Dr. Gordon Gauthier, and is prized by the populace of Toronto as a native son of Canada.
Henry intends to pursue a career in higher academia much like his father. His position of authority on Horizon's campus is implied to be the result of his own hard work and charismatic nature as opposed to outright nepotism, but with great academic success often comes great stress and expectations.