Character sheet for Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero.
Note: Character tropes currently stem from anime-only, not manga or light novels.
After having spent years fighting in the alternate world of Alayzard and defeating Demon King Garius on his own, he's entrusted with Garius' daughter, Miu, whom Akatsuki brings home to Earth. He's very laid back except when he's fighting and always confident. Though typically an affable guy, he is often viewed as somewhat perverted.
- The Ace: He's one of the best fighters in the series next to the Student Council President and can easily deck nearly everyone he goes up against.
- Anti-Magic: He cannot use magic, which is true in the sense he can't use "caster" magic. One of the strengths of the art he practices is the ability to create anti-magic fields. He can, however, manipulate the internal energy of himself or others which has many of the same effects. Phil Burnett mocks him for this lack but Akatsuki states his Energy Manipulation is the ultimate art before wasting him with a huge anti-magic Energy Ball.
- Befriending the Enemy: Welcomes Miu into his life after killing her father, the Demon Lord.
- Berserk Button: Making a girl cry, especially Miu. Bringing up his father also triggers this.
- BFS: His main weapon is a giant sword called Laevateinn. Requires seven ADs to generate, unlike just one for everyone else. By putting on eight ADs, the sword becomes bigger, sharper, and gains a massive axe-like blade head on top of it.
- Big Damn Heroes: He personifies this trope. From vanquishing an unlocked Cockatrice to slicing through a humongous Human-Dragon fusion.
- Blatant Lies: Miu asks Akatsuki why she had to be naked as he took her across the worlds, and he replied that interdimensional travel is easier naked. Subverted in the original novels. It really was easier. note
- Blood Knight: Akatsuki's reaction to Kaito's unusual handshake is to ask if Kaito wants this handshake to escalate. Kaito backs off, saying he's only here to greet him. During their scuffle, both of them are clearly enjoying testing each other's skills.
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Bully Hunter: Akatsuki admits to enjoy bullying bullies.
- Bullying a Dragon: Akatsuki has shown time and again that he's quite powerful. Nevertheless, some people, especially Haruka from the student council, insist on "punishing" him and bringing him down a notch.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Despite his sexual harassment toward females, Akatsuki can't stand seeing a woman crying for whatever reason, and will go to great length to make them stop crying.
- The Chosen One: As a "True Hero" and pretty much invincible badass.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Typically, the more opponents Akatsuki faces off against, the faster he defeats them.
- Cool Bike: Sleipnir, the supersonic, spirit-driven motorcycle with 16,700,000 horsepower. It chooses its own rider and eliminates others. Its only master is Akatsuki's father before it accepts Akatsuki who becomes its new master.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Akatsuki is generally on the giving end of these. Practically everyone he fights, whether a dark lord, or a Jerk Jock, or even a member of the Absurdly Powerful Student Council, usually ends up humiliated in defeat at best, or dead, in the case of the dark lord.
- Cursed With Awesome: Akatsuki repeatedly states that he cannot use spells, and in episode 3 of the anime it is shown that he can't make use of BABEL's Arms Device, a bracelet which supposedly creates a weapon fitting the wearer's personality, magic, and fighting style. Later in the episode, he is finally able to summon his weapon, but it takes at least seven of the bracelets to create a physical form for his powers.
- Deadpan Snarker: Even when he's being a pervert or not he seems to make sarcastic comments about people and snarks pretty often.
- Declaration of Protection: Akatsuki does this for Miu in episode 10.
- Healing Factor: By "activating" his internal energy, he can recover from what would be fatal to others. He can also manipulate others' energy to cause a subdued version of this. He even manages to fully recover from Phil Burnett's poisoned blade in only 30 minutes, a poison that is generally instantly fatal.
- Hunk: Watch the beach episode or anytime he's sleeveless and you'll see why.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: He's a strong melee fighter and martial artist without using his powers, but he becomes a juggernaut when he uses them both.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He steals girl's clothes, gropes them and peeps on them, but it's always Played for Laughs and he never receives any punishment for his sexual harassment.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Akatsuki may be the protagonist, but he's also a serious pervert, and isn't afraid to beat people down if they get on his nerves.
- Panty Thief: He tends to humiliate any female that obstructs or attacks him by somehow removing her panties from under her clothes and either keeping or throwing them away.
- Power Perversion Potential: Akatsuki uses his super speed to steal girl's clothes while they are wearing them, sticks to walls to watch girls shower, and uses energy manipulation and pressure points to make girls orgasm.
- Red Baron: Akatsuki is pretty much only known as "Rogue Hero" in Alayzard, where this trope is played largely straight. It was originally given him as an insult, but he accepted it in stride.
- Shonen Hair: Spiky, messy, and blue.
- Smug Super: He knows full well how strong he is and tends to point it out, which people often mistake for arrogance when it's actually just plain old observation.
- Technicolor Eyes: 80% blue, 20% green.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has dark blue hair.
Entrusted to his killer, Ataksuki, by her dying father, Demon King Garius, she flees her birth universe Alayzard to Earth with him. As Garius' daughter, Miu is Princess of the Dark Clan of Alayzard. She has pink hair, long twintails, large breasts, and a strong natural magic affinity.
- Alien Among Us: A human from the alternate dimension of Earth, Alayzard.
- Badass Adorable: Cute and feminine, but able to produce a large amount of magical power.
- Befriending the Enemy: Does this to Akatsuki, despite he was the enemy who killed her father.
- Bokukko: She uses the Japanese male pronoun boku to refer to herself. It's rather odd coming from a feminine princess.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Quickly subverted, especially for a Demon Lord's daughter. While the first episode shows her contemplating killing Ataksuki in his sleep and to live with him as merely a pretense of evaluating him, she quickly gives up on this idea, possibly because as someone trained as a Clan Leader, which would include analysing people as potential allies/enemies, and probably an eventual alliance marriage, Miu quickly realises that Akatsuki truly is her best option. In the final arc, she works out very quickly that the other leaders of Alayzard intend to execute her to break the spirit of the Dark Clans, though she herself has done absolutely nothing illegal or wrong.
- D-Cup Distress: Miu does not like her huge rack because it is difficult to find clothes that fit her, and she keeps popping buttons.
- Frilly Upgrade: After the ADs are delimited for the Ranking Exam, her normal gym outfit shifts into a revealing, magical girl type.
- Gag Boobs: Her breasts are so big that it's rather difficult to find shirts and jackets that fit her. Her shirts tend to rip or pop buttons.
- Girl in a Box: Akatsuki brings her to Earth in a bag.
- Girlish Pigtails: She normally ties her hair into two twintails.
- Magic Staff: Miu's AD weapon takes the form of a staff with an elaborate head, called Holy Tin. So far she has only been shown using it as a blocking weapon. It is assumed this staff can enhance Miu's magic as well.
- Naked on Arrival: She first appears naked when Akatsuki brings her to his world in a bag.
- Only One Name: Miu's true surname is never given. She assumes Akatsuki's surname to hide as brother and sister.
- Pretty Princess Powerhouse: The daughter of Demon King Garius, very cute with long pink hair in pigtails, sweet natured, and also highly skilled in magic. She's willing to stand up to a superpowered Cockatrice by herself, and use herself as a decoy to protect those she loves even when she knows she's supremely outclassed - even against a Dragon.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her twintails are nearly as tall as she is. She's a princess, after all.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: She starts living with Akatsuki under the excuse that she's his long lost sister.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Zigzagged - While she has pink hair and sweet, she's also shy and more emotionally negative than general. She gets bonus points for having a love interest with blue hair.
- Smarter Than You Look: Miu might look like a pink-haired Barbie, but all her fights show that she's got a very good grasp of tactics and battle strategies. She also shows a talent for discerning motives (she's the only one who figures out Akatsuki's 'bonding through mutual humiliation' technique was intended to ease her path to befriending Kuzuha and Chikage) and political skullduggery (it takes her about five minutes to work out that the varied remaining leaders of Alayzard want her back there to become a Sacrificial Lamb). This is the probably at least partly from being trained as her father's successor as Leader of the Dark Clans - one of the reasons for the potential Sacrificial Lamb status is because the Dark Clans will follow her; Daddy raised her in Clan Society from a young age.
- Squishy Wizard: She can fly large distances and channel lightning, but unable to take many punches. Truly a Glass Cannon.
- Stock Light-Novel Calamity Princess: She is has significant magic affinity, sports pink hair in the twintails style, can utilize highly destructive magical power (specifically as "Dark Flames") is a demon princess, and serves as the main love interest in a harem ecchi fantasy. After her Demon King father was killed by The Hero, his dying request was for the hero to take him with her back to his world. However, her true identity must be kept secret both so that she can live in peace and because both "heroes" and sinister forces from Myuu's old world want to kill her to ensure she can never claim her rightful inheritance as the new Demon Queen.
- Superpower Lottery: Miu has a high level of magical skills, being able to generate Shield Magic without any effort and also use multiple magic spells - from different elements, no less - at one time, and in rapid succession.
- Technicolor Eyes: 75% green, 25% blue.
- Tsundere Type A and B to Akatsuki.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hers is pink hair.
The diminutive class representative of Class B. She has teal hair, purple eyes, and wields a giant hammer.
- Child Prodigy: Her intelligence and magical prowess got her into BABEL high school despite being so young (conventional placement would have her at the final year of elementary or first year of middle school).
- Class Representative
- Dishing Out Dirt: She's an earth magic user.
- Drop the Hammer: Her main weapon is a giant wooden hammer.
- Emotionless Girl: She rarely shows any emotion and it's hard for her to understand feelings. This is Truth in Television: many people with an exceptionally high IQ have a very low EQ (emotional quotient). It's a matter of left brain/right brain balance - skewing abilities strongly in one section means less room for the other. This could even be PTSD from her own alternative universe stay. It's stated at some point that only about half of the children vanished to other dimensions have ever returned; at least some of those must be due to unpleasant things.
- Grade Skipper: Skipped from 6th Grade to 10th.
- Hime Cut: She sports this hairstyle to show her position as the Class Representative.
- I Call It "Vera": She named her giant hammer "Ditto".
- Little Miss Badass: She's small, but that doesn't stop her from kicking ass.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears black tights as part of her uniform.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches down her hips.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Despite being technically still a child, her intelligence puts her in Class B.
- The Stoic: She has an emotionless expression most of the time, and rarely smiles.
- Token Mini-Moe: The smallest member of the cast and as young as she looks.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has teal hair.
With short, brown hair and brown eyes, this Class B water mage wields a giant longbow. Did we mention she's also a lesbian? Or she could be bisexual.
- Ambiguously Bi: Loves going to the storage room have sex with girls, hangs out with her best friend Akatsuki and she attracted to her friend Akatsuki, she might be into guys after we can't tell if she really is a lesbian or straight-up bisexual.
- Boyish Short Hair: Giving her a butch-like angle.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair and eyes.
- Making a Splash: Her magic is water-related.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: She's often in the physical education storage room having sex with other girls.
- Seme: She preys somewhat on the girls she likes, even Miu.
A problematic student who was demoted to Class B from Class A. He does not get along with other students and tends to bully them.
- The Bully: He likes to bully weaklings, especially weaklings who look down on other weaklings.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair and eyes.
- Elemental Hair Colors: A fire mage with red hair.
- Playing with Fire: He's a fire magic user.