Naruto The Abridged Series is another of the myriad Abridged Series on the internet, this one done by two guys named MasakoX and Vegeta3986.
It rather heavily riffs on all the Fridge Logic the series provides (e.g. "Why does Naruto wear orange?).
Episodes are found at both YouTube and DailyMotion, though the original account for the former is suspended. As of September 3rd, 2011, the series has 31 episodes. A movie is also supposedly complete, with Part 1 up. Not to be mistaken for Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Fandub Spoof Series Show.
On June 20, 2011, MasakoX told his fans in a video that he would no longer be working on Naruto Abridged, due to work-related reasons. Seeing as Vegeta3986 left Team Four Star around the same time, the theories for the creators' split are flying thick and heavy, though both insist it was amicable.
However, on September 3rd, 2011, Vegeta has posted episode 31 of NTAS, with a new addition, ZeroMaster serving as the show's editor. On August 2013, ZeroMaster stated that he and Vegeta are going to continue the series along with a brand new cast.
But then earlier that month, MasakoX announced he was making his own revival of NTAS called Naruto: The Rebridged Series, now co-starring Nullmetal Alchemist's (and also Team Four Star member) Faulerro, beginning with another episode 31.
Neither series has posted since then.
This abridged series provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Kin isn't even named; she's only referred to as "That Sound Nin Girl"
- "Go! Golden Magic Monkey!" note
- The exam's second proctor, "Gendo"note also counts. Although that might have been a mistake, judging by the fans' reaction.
- The "Bishonen no Jutsu guys" note
- Elizabeth. note
- A Fate Worse Than Death: The Filler Arcs.
- Anti-Climax: Lampshaded during the Dosu vs. Choji match:Naruto: Really? THAT'S THE LAST MATCH? DO YOU KNOW HOW ANTI-CLIMACTIC THAT IS?Hayate:: Why do you think the computer never shows up again after this?
- Ascended Extra: Iruka. Hayate counts to some extent.
- Beat: Happens a couple times, including here:Third Hokage: Ooh, ooh, Abbott and Costello?(beat)Orochimaru: (sarcastically) Yes Hokage, I resurrected Abbott and Costello to kill you.
- Berserk Button: Do not eat a Klondike bar in front of Sasuke.
- You can take Choji's food and even insult Shikamaru, but do NOT insult Bishonen no Jutsu in front of him!
- Big "NEVER!": When Kabuto asks Orochimaru to turn down his music during the "Extreme Road Trip".
- Big "NO!": Several but the best so far is probably this gem.
- Naruto (Helping Sasuke up after getting his butt kicked by Itachi); Oh hey look like they left you something.Sasuke: Really? (See The Log and a half eaten Klondike Bar): NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
- There's also the one Kakashi gives when Gai challenges him to a contest of Who Can Get The Most Naked. Gai wins.
- This is the glorious reaction of Team 7 when Kakashi informs them that they've entered "the wonderful world of filler".
- Bittersweet Ending: In episode 27, they defeat the villain, but lose the race. Downplayed, however, since it's a comedy series after all.
- Book-Ends: Episode 25 has Naruto, before the opening theme and before the stinger, saying "Son of a-"
- Bowdlerization: "Nope! Not today, fangirls! You know who you are!"
- Brain Bleach: Gaara needs some mind soap after this line:
- Gai: That's right Lee, shake ya goods!.
- Everyone's reaction to the naked pictures of Gai. As shown in Episode 14.Naruto: Jesus Christ, somebody gouge out my eyes!
- Brick Joke when Naruto defeated Gaara.Voice Over: Flawless Victory! Friendship!Naruto: *Pissed off* Goddammit!
- Devil in Plain Sight: "*Evil laughing for half a minute* Do you have... evil tea?"
- As a matter of fact, yes, yes they do.
- Excellent! *More evil laughter*
- As a matter of fact, yes, yes they do.
- The Ditz: Naruto has his moments of these; in episode 26, he thought Idate was Batman until he slipped and fell... then he thought he was Sonic the Hedgehog.
- WAIT FOR ME CIRCUS!!!!
- Dramatic Pause: Orochimaru tries to employ this, to no avail, as his dramatic reveal was kinda irrelevant.
- The Driver: Rower.
- FaceHeel Turn: Sasuke in episode 28. The first thing he asks for after becoming a villain?"Get me a goddamn Klondike bar."
- Fast-Forward Gag: Kakashi uses a remote to fast forward over the Wave Country filler, but ends up breaking it right before the opening.
- Filler: "Sasuke, I've got three words for you: Curry Of Life!"
Kakashi: Welcome to the wonderful world of filler.Everyone else: NO!
- Don't forget:
- As of episode 26, there's a small label titled "The Filler Chronicles" note to lampshade this.
- During Sasuke and Naruto's fight in 28, Sasuke says that he'll kick Naruto to the filler episodes. When he does kick Naruto, he literally kicks Naruto into the Curry of Life arc for about a minute.
- Filler Villain: Team Oboro (the guys Naruto's team fought before Orochimaru during the second round of the Chunin Exams) return in a filler arc. Vegeta isn't pleased...Vegeta 3986: Really? Really?! The villains of this arc are the Map Quest ninjas? That is the best they could come up with!?!MasakoX: Hold on, Vegeta. In a later arc, they bring back Mizuki...!Vegeta 3986: (Frustrated groan) I hate filler arcs.
- Foreshadowing: After Naruto's stupidity gets to him one too many times by the Tea Country arc, Sasuke drops this line: "Know what? Screw it. After this arc, I'm gone." He also mentions he'll be leaving again the next episode.
- Food as Bribe: Dosu lures Rock Lee away from the fight by giving him some maple syrup and a hockey stick.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Not so much forgotten, but after Tsunade becomes Hokage, Sarutobi isn't missed ... Well, except by Naruto, Konohamaru, and possibly the Bishonen no Jutsu guys.
- Genre Savvy: Naruto's complaints of "Isn't this whole "old pervert" running joke a bit overused in anime?"
- Highly Visible Ninja: Naruto is actually visible from miles away.
- Hypocritical Humor Episode 11:Vegeta 3986: "Me? Well, I'm Temari. I'm Vegeta 3986's girlfriend and..."
Masako X: "Vegeta, What the hell are you doing?!"
Vegeta 3986: "Shut up, and just go along with it!"
Masako X: "Dude, you can't do that!"
Vegeta 3986: "Oh, come on!"
Masako X: "Gimme that mic..." [Sounds of fighting] "God, you're acting like a kid. Now where were we?" [in Hinata's voice] "Sorry Naruto, but I'm going out with Masako X."
Vegeta 3986: "What the ***?!!! You goddamn hypocrite! Gimme that mic back!" [Sounds of fighting] "Now where were we? Oh yeah..."
(As Temari) "My Name's Temari, and I'm Vegeta 3986's Girlfriend. He's Awesome."
- I Do Not Own: "NarutoisthepropertyofMasashiKishimotoandTVTokyo. Thismovieisaparodyandnothingmore. Sopleasesupporttheofficialrelease. Gotit? Youdamnwellbetterbynow. Beendoingthisforthreeyears."
- Improbable Age: DiscussedNaruto: Hey, old guy!Old Guy: You bunch of—! What constitutes as old to you people?Naruto: Eh, in this show, anyone over 18.
- Informed Ability: Parodied in episode 26, after Sakura suddenly lifted the mast of a ship with her bare hands.Naruto: [Angrish stutter] Since when could you do that!?(Sakura's been training with Tsunade.)Naruto: What the!? Are you telling me we just throw lines on top of the screen and people will buy it!? Why the hell didn't anybody tell me this sooner?!(Since the Hokage's death, Naruto has learnt the ability to summon hamburgers.)Naruto: Oh boy!!! [eats a hamburger]Sasuke: Hey, let me try that.Sasuke: Damn it!!
- Intercontinuity Crossover: After dying, the Third Hokage ends up in a better place... with King Yemma. Mahogany.
- The Sound Ninjas are only stopped by The Neighborhood Watch Committee of Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged.
- The Load: Everyone, especially Sakura.
- Larynx Dissonance: Masako's female voices (Hinata, Ino) are surprisingly convincing, while Vegeta's (Sakura, Temari)... Aren't.
- Living Prop: Kotetsu and Izumo are treated as such by Tsunade.
- Men Of A Thousand Voices
- Mega Chicken: Clucky in episode 18:Jiraiya: Holy sh** itsagiantchicken!
- And again in episode 24:Clucky: Cock-a-mother-f***in'-do!
- And again in episode 24:
- Mr. Exposition: Lampshaded: everyone who does it is either incompetent at it or is just doing it to pad for time.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: From the movie trailer: "Three heroes... And Sakura."
- Never Say That Again: "Believe it!"
- And hookers.
- Ninja Log: What clomps down stairs, alone or in pairs, and crushes the neighbors' dog? Sasuke's greatest rival- The Log.
- It's lo~og, lo~og, It's big, it's heavy, it's wood; It's lo~og, lo~og
- It's better than bad, it's good.
- Shut up, Log-Boy.
- Sakura actually summons it in the Forest of Death, which is what makes Team Dosu retreat.
- No Fourth Wall
- No Name Given: Played with multiple times:Ibiki: You fail! You forgot to put your name on the test!Genin taking Chunin Exam: But I don't have a name. They never gave me one!'Mummy guy' Chunin: Then I'll kick your ass. I don't have a name either, so it's fair.
Raido: You do know my name, right?Shizune: Yeah, of course I know your name. It's...um...Fred?Raido: No.Shizune: Dan?Raido: No.Shizune: Elizabeth?Raido: Aww, screw you idiots! I'm outta here.Shizune: Wait! Elizabeth!
- Hilarious in Hindsight as they do have given names; the Genin's name is Komaza and the Chunin's is Tonbo Tobitake.
- Another example here:
- No Pronunciation Guide: Orochimaru's mispronunciation of Baki's name.
- "Hey guys. It's me, Nay-roo-toe."
- No Such Thing as Wizard Jesus: Initially averted...Jiraiya: Okay Naruto, your first task is to walk on water.Naruto: Like Jesus?Jiraiya: Yes, Naruto, like Jesus.Naruto: Does that mean... Jesus was a ninja?Jiraiya: Yes, Naruto,. Jesus was a Ninja.Naruto: Really?Jiraiya: NO NOT REALLY!
- No Swastikas: "Dude. It's an 'x'."
- Not Quite Dead: Parodied:Tsunade: Very well. I'll be your Hokage. I'll do it for the memory of my brother and boyfriend.Dan (in the background): WE'RE STILL ALIVE, YOU CRAZY BITCH!Tsunade: I'll miss you two.Dan (in the background): GODDAMMIT!
- Obsessed with Food: Jirobo.Jirobo: You think I'll just let you pass? I have a mind of-OOH! THERE ARE SOME POTATO CHIP CRUMBS IN THE DIRT! *nom*Choji: Sir, I do believe we should fight-Jirobo: *OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM*
- Official Couple: Apparently Kakashi and Anko.
- Once Upon a Time: "...There were magic balls. And now there's a race!"
- Only Sane Man: Probably Kakashi, but that's debatable.
- "Heh, heh...moo."
- That's actually been explained. Turns out they make Makeout Paradise on tape.
- By the later episodes, the series really doesn't have one at all. They're all totally nuts.
- "Heh, heh...moo."
- Orphaned Series: After the fallout between Masako and Vegeta.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: "Hey guys! It's me, Nay-roo-toe!"
- Given a Call-Back in episode 30.
- Politeness Judo: In episode 14, Oboro and the "Map Quest ninjas" arrives to ambush Naruto's group in the forest. However, their assailants proceeds to argue amongst themselves about matters regarding tropes in anime, and a desperate Naruto simply asks if he can take their scroll (which would allow them passage to the next part of the Chunin exams). The distracted Oboro gives them the scrolls without a second thought, and continues arguing with the others.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Orochimaru brings Tsunade's dead brother and boyfriend back to life just to ensure she'll treat his soul-damaged arms. Too bad for him she doesn't buy it and beats them both up.
- Pungeon Master: Kidomaru.Kidomaru (after trapping the Retrieval Team in spiderwebs): Looks like you're stuck in a 'sticky situation'-Sakon/Ukon: Please don't tell me you're going to be making spider puns this entire time.Kidomaru: Well I was just going to-Sakon/Ukon: No, Kido. Just...just NO.
- Rage Against the Author: The Baki Appreciation Society, Gaara after the Shigure tribute.
- Rambling Old Man Monologue: Weaponized by the Third Hokage, in his fight against Orochimaru. "Old Man Monologue Jutsu!"
- Relax-o-Vision: Subverted. On a couple of occasions, an extremely graphic scene is replaced by soothing landscapes and music, though we can still hear the screams of pain and sickening crunching noises.
- Running Gag: Several, including:
- Sasuke's ongoing rivalry with The Log.
- People stealing Iruka's catchphrase ("Ah, touche!"), followed by his expressing annoyance.
- By Episode 17, he's given up on the "expressing annoyance" part, and just leaves whenever someone says it.
- Kakashi's fascination with a milk carton ("Heh, heh. Moo.").
- Orochimaru's utter inability to fool anyone with his disguises.
- Everyone telling Kankuro to shut up.
- "That's not supposed to bend that way! Ow, my spine!"
- Kiba and Neji's "Excellent!"
- Advertisements interrupting things during the Exam arc.
- A discontinued one would be Naruto's One Foot Tall Brick Wall to counter Sasuke's log. Clucky, Naruto's pet chicken from the comment special, however, is still around.
- A relatively short-termed running gag was the Rower's incessant singing... And how awful it was...
- Which is actually referenced in LittleKuriboh's Naruto parody, with Naruto being the rower's biggest fan... Except here, the rower doesn't know what the hell Naruto is talking about.
- Schizo Tech: Lampshaded. Formerly the source of the quote on the article.
- She's a Man in Japan: Haku is female in this version, despite being canonically a very effeminate boy in the series itself.
- Shout-Out: To Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, naturally. LittleKuriboh actually guest-starred in a couple of episodes.
Naruto: C'mon, it'll be an adventure!Kiba: An Excellent Adventure?Naruto: Yuuppp!Kiba: Excellent! *air guitar*
- Dosu makes Kabuto throw up by imitating a Jigglypuff cry.
- One to Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged is made during the Forest of Death when a certain someone in a truck reveals the location of the Sound ninjas. Dosu's response: "Damn you, Neighborhood Watch Committee!"
- "Note to self: Naruto's getting a Death Note."
- The computer gives some names to abridged creators, like Lanipator.
- Ninja Brain Training! Totally not Brain Age.
- Also later in Episode 29
- Simpleton Voice: Kisame's voice is a reference to Jabberjaw, and he's just as bright.
- Suddenly Fluent in Gibberish: Naruto's group come face to face with Zabuza... Except they initially can't understand a word he says because of his face mask. Cue Kakashi revealing he can speak muffled.
- Sure, Let's Go with That:
Orochimaru: Oh, what a wit you have! But now it's time to come with me, Sasuke! I need you.
- Orochimaru to Sasuke:
Sasuke: For my power?
Orochimaru: Uh, yeah...sure....
Tsunade: "Where are they [Orochimaru and Kabuto]?"Naruto: "I beat em!"Tsunade: With the Rasengan?Naruto: "Uh... Yeah! (Stammering) With... the... Ra... sen... gan."
- Naruto to Tsunade in episode 24
- Take That!: So, so many. There's Sasuke's opponent during the Chunin Exams, Yoroi, aka AnimeFlagger123, who "keeps flagging anime videos on YouTube". Also, in episode 20, some people lambast Gaara for copying LittleKuriboh."You're copying him! He said "the" in one episode and so did you! Quit copying him!"
Kankuro: Lemme do you a favor and end this battle quickly.Misumi: You can't end it if I end it first!Kankuro: Really? That's your comeback line?
- The initial lines in the Kankuro v. Misumi fight are identical to the anime. Then...
Tatami (with Baki headgear photo-shopped over his face): NO! BAKI! HOW COULD YOU VEGETA, I TRUSTED YOU!
- Vegeta's imitation of Baki fans:
- And then there's when Shino mocked Zaku's voice actor for lacking range.
- "First rule of Naruto: you let the person finish their long monologue no matter how many flashbacks or conversations they have with themselves."
- Waraji's response to Zori originally wanting to be in One Piece: "I do not even know you anymore."
- Tempting Fate: Subverted when the giant snake destroyed the guard tower next to Bob and Mike.
- Played straight with Zaku announcing nobody could save Sakura, "not even that pussy, Sasuke!", cut to Sasuke "You were saying?"
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Sasuke's "Sharingans only, bitch!" line
- The Snack Is More Interesting: Zig-zagged when Jirobo does this to the Retrieval Team.Jirobo: You think I'll let you guys pass? I have a mind of stee-OH LOOK! THERE'S SOME POTATO CHIP CRUMBS IN THE DIRT! *nom*
- Touché: Spoofed, because Bob's plan was pathetic.
- This is Iruka's Catchphrase, but everyone always steals it.
- Totally Radical: Neji and Kiba, intentionally invoking Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (complete with air guitar).
Orochimaru: Pack your bags, Kabuto, we're going on a roadtrip! (Cut to a scene of some cars driving across a desert and loud blaring rock music)Kabuto: WILL YOU TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN?!Orochimaru: NEVER!!!
- This is probably a nod to the Naruto AMV Real Ninjas.
- Likewise with few bits with Orochimaru and Kabuto
- The Unintelligible: Zabuza, whenever he has his bandages on (when he doesn't, he sounds like Jerry Lewis). In his first appearance, even the other characters have trouble understanding him, except for Kakashi, who can also speak Muffled (for obvious reasons). His dialogue is helpfully subtitled in later episodes.
Naruto: Well? What'd he say?Kakashi: He either said he's been hired by Disney to take out the old guy so he can't finish the bridge...or we're going out for coffee next week.
- His fluency in Muffled isn't quite perfect, though.
- Averted with later characters whose mouths were covered, such as Dosu and Shino.
- Viewers Are GoldfishNaruto: Wait, this is only the eighth episode! Why am I having flashbacks? ...Oh yeah, the audience can't remember the stuff that happened in episode 5!
- We Didn't Start the Billy Joel Parodies: Has its own "We Didn't Start the Fire" parody.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Vegeta 3986 disappeared after the release of episode 31 in September 2011. It wasn't until July 2013 that the fans recieved an update on the facebook page. But this was actually given by his girlfriend (coincidently in the same week where Masako announced he and Faulerro were rebooting the series) and it quickly degenerated into a flame war between her, the series' fans and other abridgers. An update video was uploaded to his channel but it was actually Zeromaster who made it. So Vegeta is still missing in action since he's never officially returned.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Sasuke, often in terms of the Log and/or Itachi. See Informed Ability above.