Arlo is a Gaming YouTuber who started his channel in 2014, where he uploads reviews, skits, and opinion pieces. He's known for his lighthearted attitude and delivery, and his sense of childlike wonder and enthusiasm. An outspoken Nintendo fan, but he dabbles in PC gaming and has acquired a PS4 to broaden his horizons. He's capable of addressing controversies in the gaming scene, and isn't afraid to defend his own unpopular opinions, but he manages to do so without being overtly sarcastic, cynical, and all while keeping a completely consistent PG rating. He's also had a column in Nintendo Force called Arlo's Headcanon since their Christmas 2017 issue, where he writes Nintendo fanfiction.
Though a generally small channel by some standards, he has seen a great increase in subscribers and views following his videos discussing Paper Mario: Color Splash and general coverage for the Nintendo Switch, which he has been making since it was called the NX. Partnering with Gnoggin and co-starring in some of his videos certainly didn't hurt either...
He has since opened a Patreon in the hopes of pursuing YouTube as a full time job.
This YouTube channel provides examples of:
- Aside Glance: Fond of these, especially during reactions.
- Big "WHAT?!": Once he realizes he's watching a teaser for Metroid Prime 4, followed by incomprehensible babbling and delighted screaming.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: May or may not have a gizzard according to his Yooka-Laylee review.
- Book-Ends: Arlo's gibberish opening lines for his 'breakdown' of the Metroid Prime 4 trailer provides the page quote. After an emotional but overall dignified presentation, Arlo proceeds to let loose one last string of gibberish, and then passes out on the floor.
- Character as Himself: Well obviously that blue puppet had to have come from somewhere, but no mention of it is made and Arlo has creatively and obliviously dodged questions asking about his true nature. As far as Arlo is concerned, he is himself.
- Content Warnings: The show itself keeps a consistent PG rating, but when dealing with games that have a much higher rating, he warns viewers not to let the young ones watch.
- A Dog Named "Dog": Arlo sometimes implies that theres an entire species of Arlos, and his name just happens to be the species name.
- Double Standard: Discussed in his review of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, where he criticizes Nintendo for giving up on series like F-Zero because they can't think of any new ideas for them, while continuing to produce new games in series like New Super Mario Bros. without introducing many significant new ideas.
- Flat "What": Upon learning that Piranha Plant was going to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- Giving Up on Logic: He recommended this in the wake of E3 2018, where Nintendo focused on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to the exclusion of nearly everything else. Yes it would have been reasonable and logical to expect more games than just Smash, but Nintendo has historically not always done the most logical thing, so adjust expectations accordingly.
- Hong Kong Dub: When Arlo got bronchitis and couldn't voice a video, he had Kane, his editor do the voice overs while Arlo did the Mouth Flaps. They obviously aren't coordinated, and at one point Kane was wondering what to do as he finished talking while Arlo was still flapping.
- Hypocritical Fandom: Discussed in this video, where he addresses a meme going around claiming that the Nintendo fandom is hypocritical for hating the Wii U yet loving the Switch despite both having the same games. After explaining why the accusation doesn't hold up,note he goes on to state that while individual people can be hypocrites, fandoms can't be, because they're made up of many people that can't all have the same opinions. What appears to be hypocrisy is more than likely hearing from two different subsets within a fandom.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: At the end of his Channel trailer, Arlo pulls up a random video game joke from google when he doesn't know how to wrap up the video.Arlo: Why are Koopa Troopers afraid of the world? They lead shelltered lives...
Arlo: ...I am so sorry.
- Inelegant Blubbering:
- Arlo's video on Metroid Prime 4 being delayed. He takes it extremely hard.Arlo: (trying to hold back tears) I gotta go eat a... pumpkin muffin that I made last night. It turned out pretty good! Turned out pretty good, very low sugar; it's nice though, it doesn't need to be that sweet, you know what I mean? It's already made of pumpkin, nuts on top, it's good stuff. You go, you, you go! Gee-get outta here! Get outta here I-aaaaa, go, go clean your room... bye... (walks away from mic & bawls his eyes out)
- He doesn't do much better when Reggie Fils-Aime retires.
- Arlo's video on Metroid Prime 4 being delayed. He takes it extremely hard.
- Porting Disaster: Discussed In-Universe in his review of the Switch port of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. He enjoyed the game, and acknowledges the port as a technical marvel, but while it was fine in docked mode, it was too muddy and hard to see in handheld mode. Thus, he recommended the game, but only recommended the Switch port to people who owned nothing else to play it on, since it runs even better on other systems.
- Puppet Show: As defined by the nature of its host. He could easily pass for a resident of Sesame Street.
- Squee!: An epic version in his reaction to Metroid Prime 4 being announced.
- Stock Quotes: Watches the Fallout 4 story trailer and is able to call nearly every other line.Male Protagonist: I didn't ask for this world...
Arlo: But it's the one you got?
Male Protagonist: But its the one I'm in now.
Other Voice: Don't you get it? You don't find the institution...
Arlo: It finds you?
Other Voice: The Institution finds you.
Arlo: *glances at fourth wall*
...What? Something's off? You think he looks weird? Is it because he's blue? Dude, get with the times.