"Today will not suck."
— Eloise McGarry
Table 19 is a 2017 American comedy film directed by Jeffrey Blitz, and co-written by Blitz, Jay Duplass, and Mark Duplass. The film stars Anna Kendrick, Craig Robinson, June Squibb, Lisa Kudrow, Stephen Merchant, Wyatt Russell and Tony Revolori.
Most of the movie takes place during the wedding of Eloise's oldest friend, Francie. Eloise was Francie's maid of honor, until the groom's best man dumped her via a text message. Eloise decided to attend the wedding anyway, but found herself seated with five other unwanted guests at the dreaded Table 19.
- Birth-Death Juxtaposition: The closing scenes reveal that Jo has passed away, and that Joe was named after her.
- Blatant Lies: "This is a great table."
- Book Ends: The movie begins and ends with a series of scenes showing the lives of the characters. Also, the wedding invitation and RSVP card in the opening scenes are mirrored by the birth announcement in the closing scenes.
- Break-Up Bonfire: The movie starts with a variation, as Eloise lights the wedding RSVP card on fire.
- Brick Joke: When Eloise tells Jo that she thinks her baby is a girl, Jo tells her not to name it Jo. Eloise is a bit taken aback at the suggestion that she'd name her baby after someone she just met, until Jo clarifies that she just meant that Jo is a terrible name for a girl. In the epilogue, it's revealed that the baby is actually a boy, and she named him Joe.
- Cake Toppers: The wedding cake is topped with a circle with the word "LOVE" written on it.
- Comically Missing the Point: The wedding toast: "You are Romeo and Juliet, and we all wish you the same happy ending."
- Family of Choice: By the time of the epilogue, Walter freely refers to the other Table 19 guests as his family.
- Fan Disservice: Walter's roommate Jalapeño.
- Gender-Blender Name: Jo said that her name is a "good enough name for a boy, but a terrible curse for a girl."
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Renzo skipped his junior prom, hoping he'd have "a better chance" at the wedding.
- I Will Find You: Eloise does this with Huck, getting the wedding photographer to find a photo of the two of them, then finding someone on the hotel staff who recognizes him from the photo, then going to the ballroom where he's the groom at another wedding at the same hotel.
- Just Got Out of Jail: Walter is concerned about going back to jail or having his time at the halfway house extended.
- Lower-Deck Episode: In a sense, the movie becomes this by focusing primarily on otherwise insignificant guests at the wedding of Francie and Douglas.
- Meet Cute: Subverted. Eloise has an awkward first encounter with a handsome, charming wedding crasher outside the ballroom, and they later flirt, dance and kiss, but eventually she discovers that he's actually the groom at the other wedding reception that the hotel is hosting.
- Mistaken for Servant: Bina's jacket matches the jackets worn by the catering staff. Hilarity Ensues.
- Romantic False Lead: The trailer hints that Eloise will end up with a brown-haired guy known as Huck. Turns out that he’s a wedding crasher. However it also turns out that he's the groom at another wedding at the same hotel.
- Sexless Marriage: Bina and Jerry's marriage had become this.Bina: "Wow, the last time Jerry and I did this was the last time Jerry and I had sex. Three... Actually, over three years ago. But no one's counting."
"It's the same wedding, it's the same celebration no matter what table you're at."
— Eloise McGarry