Almost Famous Name is when a person states he's met not a celebrity, but someone with a similar-sounding name who may be less famous or not famous at all.
Compare Named Like My Name.
- Marvel Comics' Doctor Druid, in his first appearance, was called Doctor Droom. They changed his name when they revived the character so as not to be confused with Doom.
- Xemnu the Titan is a kinda interesting example; he was referred to as "a Hulk" before the Hulk existed, but he called himself Xemnu.note After the Hulk was created, Xemnu has come back a few times mostly as a Hulk foe, feuding over the name.
- She-Hulk once fought Doctor Doom. This particular Doctor Doom turned to be Doctor Bob Doom: a cousin of the more famous Victor Von Doom, and a Depraved Dentist.
- U.S.Avengers fought a Victor Vandoom (one word), who was no relation to the other Victor at all, and was very defensive about the fact he's been a Mad Scientist for ten years longer.
- One of the main characters in Office Space is named Michael Bolton. Which was a fine name until "that no-talent ass clown" became famous and started winning Grammys.
- At a party in Crocodile Dundee 2, someone asks Mic if, because they're both Australian, he knows Mel Gibson. Mic, not having the slightest idea who Mel Gibson is, tells an amusing story about meeting Mal Gibson, a local drunkard.
- Twilight Zone: The Movie: In "Kick the Can", Mrs. Dempsey's husband was named Jack Dempsey. When Mr. Bloom jokingly asks her if he was the fighter, she clarifies that he wasn't.
- Inverted in Doctor Who as an Historical Person Punchline. The Doctor and his companion Martha have teamed up with William Shakespeare and he starts opening up about the death of his son and how it almost drove him mad. At the end we have the punchline:
- Shakespeare: I got new ideas. Perhaps it is time for me to write about fathers and sons. In memory of my boy, my precious Hamnet.
Martha: Wait, Hamnet?
Shakespeare: That's him.
Shakespeare: (Genuinly confused) What's wrong with that?
- On Seinfeld, George buys a car purported to have been owned by actor Jon Voight. He later learns that the car was owned by Dr. John Voight, a periodontist who went to dental school with Tim Whatley.
Kramer: I saw the sunrise at Liza's.
- Another episode introduces Kramer's friend Franklin Delano Romanowsky.
- Yet another example with Kramer:
George: What, Minnelli's?
Kramer: (matter-of-factly) No.
- In the Veronica Mars episode "Ruskie Business", Keith gets hired to track down an actor named Tom Cruz.
- In an episode of Step by Step, Cody told Dana that he was friends with Brad Pitt, and would introduce him to her. Turns out Cody was friends with a Brad Pit.
- In an episode of Cheers, Sam discovers that when he was on an alcoholic bender, he bet the bar that he would be married to Jacqueline Bisset by a certain date. When the guy he made the bet with turns up to claim the bar, Sam realises that the bet didn't specify the Jacqueline Bisset, so he tracks down another woman of that name to marry.
- From Monty Python's Flying Circus, the "Trivializing the War" sketch from series 4 mentions "the other Cole Porter" who wrote "the other 'Anything Goes'."
Anything goes in
Anything goes out
Mutton, beef and trout!
- And the bookshop sketch, where the customer is looking for books by Charles Dikkens (the well-known Dutch author), such as Rarnaby Budge.
- The Beverly Hillbillies/Petticoat Junction: Hooterville's richest and most powerful man is named Howard Hewes. This didn't confuse anybody in Hooterville or the Clampett clan, but Beverly Hills banker Mr. Drysdale just about had an orgasm when he heard that Jed and Mr. Hewes were considering doing business together.
- In an episode of Community, the Dean attempts to hire Green Day to play at a dance. He instead gets Greene Daeye, an Irish folk band.
- JAG: Harmon Rabb once offered to introduce a pair of sailors to Jennifer Lopez in exchange for them helping him out. It wasn't till after they've helped that we find out this Jennifer is his dental hygienist.
- A variation occurred in the Australian series The Late Show (1992), where Tony Martin would announce a major celebrity to perform the musical finale for the show, but Mick Molloy confessed he slipped up and booked a minor celebrity with a similar name. A few standouts included Pete Smith instead of Aerosmith, Mike Whitney instead of Whitney Houston and Hayley Lewis instead of Huey Lewis and the News. Taken Up to Eleven when Mick was supposed to book Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and ended up with Al Grassby, Leo "Lucky" Grills, Christopher "Nudge" Truswell and Gwen Plumb.
- Inverted in one episode of The Muppet Show where Kermit initially believes the guest star is an act called Lesley & Warren, and is pleasantly surprised to discover that it's actually the similarly named but more famous actress-singer-dancer Lesley Ann Warren.
- On an episode of Corner Gas, Brent exclaims, "Look everybody, it's Al Gore!" When Lacey says that the man in question looks nothing like Al Gore, Brent clarifies that his name is spelled "Goar" and he owns a local fertilizer company.
- On The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, one of the main characters is in the hospital under the care of Dr. Kavarkian. He quickly reacts to their shock by repeating the pronunciation.
- An episode of The Vicar of Dibley involved Geraldine booking a musician named Reginald Dwight who she thinks is the one known famously as Elton John, but he's an accordionist with the same name.
- One of the main characters on Skins; no, not that Naomi Campbell.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Holt's husband is named Kevin Cozner, which is lampshaded by Jake.
- Gina claims she once developed a linguistics system for "Ellen Musk". Not Elon Musk, Amy, but Ellen Musk, the first season winner of a reality show.
- In A Very English Scandal, as in real life, one of the conspirators in Jeremy Thorpse's murder plot was named John Le Mesurier, which he shared with a famous British character actor. At one point in the series, this gets a Lampshade Hanging, as after introducing himself, he adds, "not the actor, obviously."
- Futurama: "You trained with THE Hank Aaron?" "I trained with A Hank Aaron."