Kemono MichiThe titular Magical Beast store where Genzo Shibata keeps his numerous pets, and houses his employees.
A Japanese pro-wrestler, who along with his pet dog Hiroyuki, mysteriously disappeared during his final match via being summoned to another world by Princess Altena. She tasks him with slaying the Magical Beasts terrorizing the land, but being an animal lover, refused and delivered a German Suplex to her, then ran away. He eventually becomes a "hunter" of Magical Beasts to both acquire them and funds to keep them at the world's first (and for the foreseeable future, only) pet shop.
- Berserk Buttons: Don't point weapons at a Magical Beast on his sight or even mention your intent to kill one. Don't call him "Magical Beast Killer". And do not try to kidnap Hiroyuki. Failing to do any of these will guarantee you being plunged into walls, ceiling, or any hard object, or bent in ways your body wasn't meant to bend, with a professional wrestling move straight out of Japan, gender notwithstanding.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn, with Shigure as the Brains. He is more than fit, strong, and skilled for both combat and all forms of manual labour, but Shigure is the one that helps keep his and the others' spendthrift habits curbed and the shop above-water.
- The Butcher: As the only person capable of regularly taking on, and subduing, the most dangerous Magical Beasts in the world, he has earned the title the "Magical Beast Slayer." Subverted, in that he despises the thought of killing anything (animals especially), and gets violently angry if you call him that to his face.
- Chaste Hero: Zero interest in sex. When he looks at an attractive person, he only sees the body parts he's attracted to, like tails & ears. You put him in a lake with a naked woman, he goes for the unicorn.
- Cuteness Proximity: Upon the sight of Magical Beasts, or beast-like sentient beings on either end of the spectrum, the muscular, tall, and several hundred-pound Genzo becomes a squealing, cooing, affectionate mess.
- Fluffy Tamer: His taming skills to good use when dealing with Magical Beasts, which otherwise pose unquestionable danger towards humans and other sentient creatures. Among his achievements are taming a pack of wild Cerberus, and even made a Manticore vow to not eat humans.
- Heroic Neutral: He could've accepted the call, but refused to open a pet shop.
- Ignore the Fanservice: He barely noticed the naked, bathing Shigure because a unicorn was doing the same nearby. He also doesn't care at all when Carmilla is barely dressed in front of him.
- Lightning Bruiser: He manages to hold his own, and in some cases, overpower some creatures that are considered fairly strong and deadly by human standards. Though he doesn't kill any creatures, the fact that he subdues them earns him the nickname "Demon Beast Killer" by other adventurers.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover his right eye.
- Precious Puppy: Hiroyuki is Genzo's most precious pet, above all others. The rest of the world generally sees Hiroyuki's value as an extremely rare animal to own, than an adorable puppy.
- Rated M for Manly: Oh boy, with his huge build and his Large Ham-ness, he is definitely this. Unless some Magical Beasts get in his sight, that is.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: And pantsless. The people of the new world think of him as an exhibitionist pervert every time he walks around in his wrestling attire.
- Would Hit a Girl: He has no qualms using wrestling moves on women. Carmilla, Altena and Celes learned the hard way.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Naturally, being a former pro-wrestler.
Genzo's beloved dog and partner, by his side both within and outside of the ring, and now in the new world.
- Cuteness Proximity: Tends to induce the effect whenever someone gets too near. This is especially prominent with Wolfgang, who was so entranced while trying to kidnap him it gave Sieg time to find them (and for Genzo to give him another lunging).
- Precious Puppy: Rare are the individuals who have not fawned over how cute Hiroyuki is.
A Wolf demi-human who Genzo saved from being sold to slavery. She joined Genzou to build Kemono Michi as she supports his goal, and earn some sweet, sweet cash money while she's at it.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Downplayed. For some reason, she felt offended not so much at Genzo barging in on her skinny-dipping in a lake as much as him completely ignoring her in favor of cuddling a bathing unicorn nearby.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brains, with Genzo as the Brawn. She is clever, cunning, and more than a little bit ruthless with how she goes about her business, but she lacks the physical might and fighting skill to take on lucrative Magical Beast subjugation jobs like Genzo can.
- Cool Sword: She keeps taking Heat Haze's swords after Genzo knocks him out for claiming he was going to slay a beast with said sword. She manages to help make ends meet by selling them to a weaponsmith.
- Food as Bribe: Genzo tells Shigure they can put meat and vegetables in their soup that night if she carries the wounded griffin away while he distracts them. She immediately agrees to it, being sick of eating soup that was basically salty water.
- Little Bit Beastly: As a demi-human, she has wolf ears and tail.
- Mystical White Hair: She has a bluish-silver hair, denoting her lupine heritage.
- Only in It for the Money: Her primary motivation for everything is money. She doesn't mind taking some dishonest ways to get them if it gets her much-needed coin, such as "finding" and pawning off Heat Haze's legendary swords each time he happens to "forget" them on the floor. She also not above spoiling Hanako if it means she will shed dragon scales more often which can be sold.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: She's basically a girl with the ears and tail of a wolf and a strong sense of smell.
- Only Sane Man: Penchant for greed aside, Shigure is by far the most relatively normal of the main cast, often having to push herself to maintain the Kemono Michi up and running, while at the same time trying to curb Genzo, Hanako and Carmilla's hedonistic impulses.
A dragon-girl who ran away from home to explore the world and enjoy its many, many different flavours and foods, until she ends up in Genzou's store. Her normal form is a young girl with dragon horns and tail, but her true form is that of a large red dragon.
- Big Eater: She has a ravenous appetite that frequently risks putting the Kemono Michi in the red.
- Creepy Child: She has her moments.
- Extreme Omnivore: She has no problems eating even creepy looking creatures or those are not edible like swords. She is often seen munching of Shigure's paper and stealing letters to eat. However, she refrains from eating humans as she heard omnivores don't taste good.
- Gilded Cage: Despite coming from a wealthy background, she claims she fled from home to escape her monotonous diet of orc meat.
- Is It Something You Eat?: If she's not asking this outright, she's usually finding out first hand.
- Stronger Than They Look: Despite her tiny size compared to the rest of the cast, especially Genzo, she manages to carry both him and Carmilla away from the griffons after the creatures knock the latter two out.
- Weredragon: She normally takes form of a small humanoid with draconic features but her true form is implied to be a huge dragon.
Hanako's vampire servant. She joined Genzou's household after Hanako moved in, to continue to be with her mistress.
- All Women Are Lustful: See Lesbian Vampire.
- Bumbling Sidekick: She claims to be Hanako's sidekick, yet a total loser at everything and anything. Even Hanako admits she's good for absolutely nothing.
- Boisterous Weakling: Regularly boasts of how great she is. For her actual strength, see the rest of the tropes on her entry.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: To get ready for a rematch against Rose, she asks Genzo to teach her wrestling. Her training seems to go extremely well as she is able to fight toe to toe with Rose who has no wrestling skills to speak off. If she hadn't done an Unsportsmanlike Gloating too soon, she would have won cleanly.
- Butt-Monkey: She had been subject to physical punishment from either Genzou, Hanako, or a Magical Beast.
- Lesbian Vampire: She shows more than just devoted loyalty to her mistress, who often responds by knocking her silly. Not helped by her sharing the same name with Carmilla, the Trope Maker.
- The Load: She's a total wimp of a vampire, and does not do anything in Genzou's shop, but use their already limited funds for alcohol and her personal whims. The only thing she can do is to be Magical Beast bait, or walk Hiroyuki when everyone else is busy.
- Pretty Freeloaders: Basically the only reason she's still around, despite being a lazy bum, is that she's a close friend of Hanako's.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: When one time she brings in a daughter of Fenrir family who wandered in town, Genzou pinned her down and Shigure called for officers.
- Mistaken for Prostitute: Men mistook her as a hooker when she goes out trying to earn money. She never really realizes why they were so angry at her taking the money they offered.
- Our Vampires Are Different: She's a lesser vampire, the lowest of three vampire ranks. She also has the usual fear of holy water, sunlight and garlic.
- Panty Shot: Her panties ended up exposed whenever Genzou delivered a wrestling move on her. She even got a nickname "Miss Crotch" or "Miss Black Panties" from children, as she also gets the moves in public.
- Terrible Artist: She likes to doodle images of Hanako and calls it works of art, but Shigure usually just tosses it into the garbage. She seems partly aware of this, as one of her works was explicitly a reference for a more talented artist she intended to commission.
- Warts and All: The main reason why she stays with Hanako despite being a pitiful vampire. She is viewed less as a servant and more like a friend.
- Ambiguous Situation: It is not clear if Sieg can be classified as a Magical Beast, as everyone treats him like a person and not as an animal.
- In-Universe, the characters of the fantasy world are baffled by Sieg's presence, implying that even in their world, the sight of a giant ant doing house chores is strange and off-putting. The only person who may have any idea why he's hanging around is Genzo, whose so focused on the pet shop that he probably wouldn't give an answer if anyone tried to ask him about hiring Sieg.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: He is a human-sized, bipedal ant.
- Elephant in the Living Room: It's obvious that people have questions about who he is, why he's here, and why he does what he does, but no answers ever come.
A local loan shark, who frequently runs afoul of Genzo and associates, one way or the other.
- Fat Bastard: He's very portly, has two loyal enforcers on-hand, and is not against selling borrowers into slavery if it means getting his money back.
- Not What It Looks Like: Genzo initially assumes that Edgar's kidnapped and is selling Shigure into slavery. He is doing the latter, but that's only because she's reneged on ''several' loans, is incredibly uncooperative with other repayment plans, and as we quickly learn, Shigure herself isn't very picky about how she gets her paydays, either.
Wolfgang von Kraftman
A Wolf Beast Man, and the first of Edgar's enforcers.
- A Lizard Named "Liz"
- Beast Man: Unlike Shigure, he's well on the feral, animal-like end of the scale.
- Black Comedy Rape: Genzo all-but sexually assaults him when he pins him down and rubs his face all over his luxurious fur or scratches him to something resembling an orgasm. Though the consequences are unquestionably traumatic, the show makes fun of his pain, and doesn't hesitate to show the morally questionable and objectionable acts he's willing to do to remove any sympathy the audience may be developing for him.
- Cuteness Proximity: His attempt to kidnap Hiroyuki as revenge against Genzo fails, when he finds himself too taken by Hiroyuki's adorableness.
- Jerkass Victim: He's an enforcer for a loanshark, and doesn't think twice about making extra money by tricking a lost foreigner into slavery.
- Too Dumb to Live: Never really stopped to ask himself if continuously antagonizing Genzo is a wise move. It got to the point where Genzo doesn't consider him worth petting anymore, which was the only thing keeping him from getting really hurt.
A cat demi-human, and the second of Edgar's two enforcers.
Macadamian Ogre (Masked Ogre)
Genzo's initial opponent wrestler for the title of World Champion, whose battle name is MAO (The Demon King).
- Despair Event Horizon: He went into a deep depression after Genzo disappeared during their battle and refused to face anyone else. It went away after he was summoned by the demon army and he learns where Genzo has been.
- Friendly Rivalry: Ultimately the kind of rivalry he has with Genzo. After Genzo disappeared during their first match, he came to the conclusion that he ran away. During the battle in the Hero X Demon King tournament, Genzo made it clear that it wasn't the case at all, this undoing the hostility between them.
- Evil Counterpart: He is a wrestler from Earth like Genzo and is summoned as the Demon King from another world and Joanna's Champion.
Draculius Joanna Joannascore
The heir princess of all vampires, whose people are fighting an endless war against humans and other species.
- Big Bad: Is the main antagonst so far, but leans more towards Big Bad Wannabe.
- Unknown Rival: She is very sore about always losing to Hanako and always tries several schemes to humiliate her, all of them ending up in failure. After learning that Hanako went to see Genzo, she comes up with the conclusion that she intends to defeat him. She summons MAO as the vampires' champion for this very reason, wanting to claim that she defeated the hero before Hanako did.
- Villainous Breakdown: In episode 12, after she realizes that MAO was not the ferocious, ruthless, brutal demon king from another world she wanted.
Joanna's servant, she is an elder vampire of the highest class.
- Evil Counterpart: Her Undying Loyalty resembles Carmilla to some extent, not helped that both their masters are the Token Mini-Moe's of their groups.
- The Rival: To Carmilla in a more bitter way.
A Demon Beast that resembles a purple Hiroyuki, who takes a liking to Macadamian Ogre.
The Crown Princess who summoned Genzo, in her quest for the strongest warrior of another world. She got him, alright, but after he refused her mission (and was given a German suplex), and her soldiers were powerless to stop him, she's been trying to find him and get back at him since.
- All Women Are Lustful: She has a habit of thinking impure thoughts whenever Genzo gets close to her... just before he does what he usually does. She eventually develops an exhibitionist and public humiliation fetish, getting very excited whenever her now iconic ass gets exposed to the people.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Pray for a super powerful warrior, be ready to deal with the fact that no one from your own army can subdue him if he refuses to work for you.
- Butt-Monkey: Mostly suplexed by Genzo and being the Buttocks of the joke for it.
- Covert Pervert: At first. She seems like any cliched princess summoning a hero from another world. When Genzo grabs her from behind, she thinks he plans on having his way with her, as what usually happens with princesses and heroes, and is excited that he's going to do it in front of her guards. Then he hits her with a German suplex. Frequent humiliation by being exposed to people has her drop the covert completely and embrace her exhibitionist fetish.
- Determinator: After she found where her summoned hero lives, she keeps visiting and trying to get him to slay the Demon King even if she ends up being slammed on or even plunged into floor with her panties exposed on daily basis and she refuses to give up.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Princess Buttocks", following that humiliating encounter with Genzo.
- I Will Find You: She has been trying to find him ever since he bailed from her castle, wanting to pay him back for the suplex.
- Made of Iron: For a petite girl, she can take Genzo's holds like a champ.
- My Greatest Failure: Summoning Genzo. The Royal Court and the entire Royal Guard can't seem to forget the sight of her laying ass-over-head on the floor, with her panties and ass exposed, after Genzo gave her a German suplex.
- Panty Shot: One of the first images of the series are her white panties, exposed after getting a German suplex from Genzo to express his disapproval over being tasked with killing beasts. This has become a Running Gag, what with her visit into the Kemono Michi also ending up with her getting another panty-exposing suplex, this time in front of the townsfolk.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Forced to give a Panty Shot to her guards and viewers when Genzo gives her a German suplex for telling him to kill creatures for her.
- Too Kinky to Torture: As mentioned above, getting her butt exposed and being humiliated in public stops being a bad thing to her.
A legendary swordsman and adventurer, with his own loyal party of attractive female adventurers. As big as his reputation is, he frequently serves as little more than comic relief, as a transparent skewering of the generic male isekai protagonist.
- Battle Harem: Strongly implied to own one, composed of three attractive females, with specializations that complement his swordsmanship. So far, they only seem to be useful for screaming in panic and shock when Heat Haze gets his ass kicked, then dragging his unconscious ass off to safety.
- Butt-Monkey: It's implied that he's a famous hero, but almost every scene he's in with Genzo ends up with him getting knocked out by Genzo using various wrestling methods on him.
- Red Baron: "Heat Haze" is the only name we know him by.
- Running Gag:
- In the anime, triggering Genzo's Berserk Button by calling him the "Magical Beast Killer," being One-Hit KO'd with a pro-wrestling move, and having his latest rare, legendary sword stolen and pawned off by Shigure since he "forgot" it.
- He even had it worse in the manga when Genzou just throw him before he even finish his sentence, with Genzou claiming he is about so say something bothersome so he shut him up.
- Too Dumb to Live: From how often he casually triggers Genzo's Berserk Button and gets himself seriously injured to the point of unconsciousness, one has to wonder how exactly he managed to survive long enough to reach his legendary status.
A female adventurer who challenged Genzou in a duel and later, asked to be his apprentice.
- All of the Other Reindeer: She has been teased and bullied by other adventures for being a demi-human. Genzou goes ballistic and raids the guild upon knowing this.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The receiving end. The moment she challenged Genzou (called him on his Embarrassing Nickname in anime) in battle, he jumped in to chop her head and apply a figure four leg lock and all she could do is to cry in pain while tapping out.
- Knife Nut: She uses a pair of daggers.
- Lizard Folk: She is a lizardman, although she only have scales on her torso and back while the rest of her is human.
- What the Fu Are You Doing?: During the middle of her duel against a male hunter, she did a sexy pose out of instinct because of Carmilla. Everyone including Celes herself are confused why she did that.
- Wrestler in All of Us: She learned some wrestling moves upon her short training from Genzou.